• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Galaxy 2 |OT| with >NEW< hat!

Yeah, about these comets... They're hard.

Instead of having different kinds of comets, each galaxy now has one comet that accommodates for different types of challenges. You've got speed runs, daredevils, and purple coin challenges from the previous game, and they're all available as soon as you get enough Comet Coins (or whatever they're called). SMG2 adds "Kill-them-all" challenges where you've got a time limit to destroy everything on the planet you're on, and Cosmic Mario, which spawns enemies that follow your every move.

The especially notable ones are the Purple Coin and Cosmic Mario runs, which may often come together to screw you over. So far, the most difficult Purple Coin one for me was Flip-Swap's, as it's basically Luigi Purple Coins on steroids. There's a time limit, you've got to collect all the coins this time around, and the flipping platform mechanic ensures that you just can't do the spin-move to save yourself like in LPC.

EDIT: Forgot something -
The Speed Run challenges themselves vary between galaxy to galaxy. Sky Station Galaxy, for instance, gives you 15 seconds at the start to complete the entire first mission, but sparingly puts stopwatches in difficult places that give you a little more time. It's maddening. Then you have your regular speed runs, where you are given a concrete time limit to finish an already difficult stage that has more obstacles added in just for kicks.

Also, I've been sucked into the game so badly that I ended up going through the entire evening. This game has some incredible variety that definitely surpasses SMG at this point of the game, and the difficulty's been amped up as well. To think that I'm barely at the halfway point to Bowser is rather surprising.

savor100

slaughterking said:
Okay, so I absolutely don't give the least bit of shit about scores or score collection sites, but I did take a look on gamerankings after your post and I do think this somehow is a pleasant sight. :lol

bjfikgphmxcbd2p3k.gif

Close race!

seady

selig said:
Wait, people are arguing about lack of story in a Mario-game?

I wouldn't 'argue' if we didn't see the light they brought us with Super Mario Galaxy 1.
The minimal but lovely story of that game was one of my favorite parts and the most memorable part of the game.

The story of SMG didn't affect the gameplay, but added a whole layer of depth to the characters and the whole package. I don't expect (or want) a Final Fantasy or Grand Theft Auto story of course. SMG got that balanced perfectly.

But people have different want list. I understand why some people just want pure platforming and nothing else. Just like some people only care about the multiplayer part of Call of Duty and just want to shoot, and care less about the single player campaign.

EzLink

Banned
Sent my Wii off to Nintendo yesterday, I hope it doesn't take too long for it to get back to me

Ordered Galaxy 2 from amazon just a minute ago, it's going to be hard staring at the game in my hands several days before my Wii gets back :/

Oh well, plenty left for me to do in Red Dead. That should hold me over nicely

Have fun to all you lucky blokes who get to start enjoying this masterpiece tomorrow ^_^

RobbieNick

Is it tommorow yet?Is it tommorow yet?Is it tommorow yet?Is it tommorow yet?Is it tommorow yet?Is it tommorow yet?Is it tommorow yet?

GAAAAHHH!!! I WANT THIS GAME NOW!!!

Jasoco

Banned
I can't believe all the 24-hour Wal-Marts around me are not around me. They're all up north. Way too far. All we got is a Kmart. Fucking Kmart. Not a 24-hour one either.

I wonder if my GameStop, or the other one across the street will be doing midnight releases.

I WANT TO PLAY TONIGHT!

JRW

Im trying to figure out how this game has 240 stars. It seems (after glancing at IGN's guide) there is 120 stars, Im assuming you get a chance at more stars after beating the game. I hate looking at walkthroughs so didnt research it much =/

CassSept

JRW said:
Im trying to figure out how this game has 240 stars. It seems (after glancing at IGN's guide) there is 120 stars, Im assuming you get a chance at more stars after beating the game. I hate looking at walkthroughs so didnt research it much =/
It seems that
Once you get first 120 stars, another set of 120 green stars unlocks. And they are unique challenges, not reprises like Luigi run in original SMG. So effectively, there are 240 stars altogether. We still don't know what is the reward for getting all the stars though and IGN's walkthrough suggests there is something

Edit:
0.06 worse than SMG? Unacceptable.
Dude, maths. It's 0.07, that's even worse. SMG2 is a total letdown confirmed.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Just picked up a black Wii bundle after trading in my DSi, do I need to play the first Mario Galaxy first? I know I should eventually, but figure there is no story to catch up on.

Another 2 hours in (25 stars, world 3) -

- New music (water level, World 3 map theme) is so awesome.
- Some of level design is even better than SMG1 (World 2 boss level).
- The Yoshi power-ups are such a great addition.

This is becoming one of the best games I've played in years.

I'm loving all of the music I've heard so far. Fantastic stuff.

Can't wait for Zelda Wii to finally get the orchestral treatment the series so richly deserves. :D

ivysaur12

Banned
I went from not even knowing this was coming out soon to instant hype in about a week.

I need to get this, Monster Hunter 3 and finish NMH2. Dammit Wii.

Lkr

DevelopmentArrested said:
Another 2 hours in (25 stars, world 3) -

- New music (water level, World 3 map theme) is so awesome.
- Some of level design is even better than SMG1 (World 2 boss level).
- The Yoshi power-ups are such a great addition.

This is becoming one of the best games I've played in years.
glad to see yoshi comes back after the yoshi galaxy

CassSept said:
It seems that
Once you get first 120 stars, another set of 120 green stars unlocks. And they are unique challenges, not reprises like Luigi run in original SMG. So effectively, there are 240 stars altogether. We still don't know what is the reward for getting all the stars though and IGN's walkthrough suggests there is something
Oh, really?

Can you spoiler quote them? I don't want to look at the WalkThrough.

CassSept

Black-Wind said:
Oh, really?

Can you spoiler quote them? I don't want to look at the WalkThrough.
Well,
"Green Star -- After collecting the first 120 stars in the game, beat the game again and several Green Stars will appear in each of the galaxies. Collect all of these and who knows what might happen?"

So, I wonder what that might be :)

Peff

Keep in mind that
they're not really unique challenges, but hidden through the original levels, kinda like a collect-a-thon and seemingly with no clues, so I think this time less people will get the full 240 (and beyond?). You can see how it works here from minute 48

http://es.justin.tv/crybos/b/264063800

Also, can anybody with the confirm that
you need to finish a level before the comet coin is saved? I've seen people replay entire levels solely for that
and it looks like something that could kill the replay value for some people.

zigg

Peff said:
Keep in mind that
they're not really unique challenges, but hidden through the original levels, kinda like a collect-a-thon and seemingly with no clues, so I think this time less people will get the full 240 (and beyond?).

Yeah, this is how it works.

Grandmaster Galaxy, which I personally don't yet have access to as I don't have more than a handful of Green Stars yet—right now, my 7-year-old daughter is playing on her file :)—appears to be the reward after collecting them all.

Peff said:
Also, can anybody with the confirm that
you need to finish a level before the comet coin is saved? I've seen people replay entire levels solely for that
and it looks like something that could kill the replay value for some people.

Yes, that's how it works. So don't miss them? :D

(Really, it's not that bad; no level is over-long unlike a few in Galaxy, and
there's only one Comet Medal per galaxy, always on the first stage
.)

MNC

zigg said:
Yeah, this is how it works.

Grandmaster Galaxy, which I personally don't yet have access to as I don't have more than a handful of Green Stars yet—right now, my 7-year-old daughter is playing on her file :)—appears to be the reward after collecting them all.

.)
FIX YOUR SPOILER FIX YOUR SPOILER

Oh you fixed it :|

Peff

zigg said:

.)

Oh, it probably isn't, but the one I saw was
the SMG boss-rush, and then the comet was a speed-run, so I was a bit like "oh, well" :lol

CassSept

Peff said:
Keep in mind that
they're not really unique challenges, but hidden through the original levels, kinda like a collect-a-thon and seemingly with no clues, so I think this time less people will get the full 240 (and beyond?). You can see how it works here from minute 48

http://es.justin.tv/crybos/b/264063800
Wow at that first level :eek:
All SMG bosses in a row on a timed run? Can this game get any more amazing?
I want my copy to arrive asap, damn yooouu NOE!

zigg

Oh crap, sorry about the spoiler, it was in a quote...

CassSept said:
All SMG bosses in a row on a timed run? Can this game get any more amazing?

Fucking Major Burrows, I can never reliably get him when he runs away on the final part. I had to defeat Fiery Dino Pirahna in less than a minute.
Thank goodness the clock stops ticking down when you reveal stars in this one...

BowieZ

Banned
If you turn your head sideways, the above black lines remind me of the proverbial prison cell bars holding me back from playing this game until July.

Regarding the questions about (major spoilers)
the 120 additional (green) stars:

Yes, they're all-new; however this time it's more of a vicious scavenger hunt throughout all of the galaxies in the game than 120 new stars complete with new areas, enemies, galaxies, etc. It doesn't feel excessive, however, as most galaxies only have 2-3 normal stars to begin with. This brings it up to 6 on some galaxies, with an equal number of green stars always added after you get the 120 Power Stars.

This game is fucking awesome. Absolutely, insanely, ridiculously awesome. I think the only tiny thing I could even begin to criticize is the shortness of the final Bowser battle. You know that awesome music you're hearing? Yeah, well, if you're as good as me, you don't hear it for more than 30 seconds. Yes, the battle is longer than that, but that part of the song only plays for the very end. That's about the only regret I have, and it's my own damn fault for being so good at Mario!

Oh, and as for the soundtrack, a number of the songs are actually mislabeled. Off the top of my head:

World Map Theme 1
World Map Theme 2
Clockwork Ruins Galaxy
Ending (sort of anyway)

Oh well, just know that you are in fact spoiling stuff to a degree by listening to the OST. :)

~os

Another question about
the 120 additional (green) stars, for those who know:

Is finding them going to be as impossible as finding the blue coins in Super Mario Sunshine? Because those blue coins were found as a result of doing things i would have never thought to do if i hadn't looked them up... and that is NOT fun.

thecouncil said:
Another question about
the 120 additional (green) stars, for those who know:

Is finding them going to be as impossible as finding the blue coins in Super Mario Sunshine? Because those blue coins were found as a result of doing things i would have never thought to do if i hadn't looked them up... and that is NOT fun.
No, primarily because their sparkly noise is quite audible.

othersteve said:
No, primarily because their sparkly noise is quite audible.
Wait, I'm confused.
Are the Green Stars ACTUAL Stars with feats you have to accomplish to achieve them or are they just randomly strewn about a level?

I picked this up yesterday at a local Mom n' Pop Video Store and I'm stuck at work all day today. >_< I only got 14 Stars last night. The wait to play it is killing me. ;_;

Vanille

othersteve said:
I think the only tiny thing I could even begin to criticize is the shortness of the final Bowser battle. You know that awesome music you're hearing? Yeah, well, if you're as good as me, you don't hear it for more than 30 seconds. Yes, the battle is longer than that, but that part of the song only plays for the very end. That's about the only regret I have, and it's my own damn fault for being so good at Mario!

=(

Peff

El Pescado said:
Wait, I'm confused.
Are the Green Stars ACTUAL Stars with feats you have to accomplish to achieve them or are they just randomly strewn about a level?

I picked this up yesterday at a local Mom n' Pop Video Store and I'm stuck at work all day today. >_< I only got 14 Stars last night. The wait to play it is killing me. ;_;

Yes, they are randomly placed through the levels you are playing right now. For example, the very first one is behind the tower at the very beginning of the first level

Kard8p3

othersteve said:
I think the only tiny thing I could even begin to criticize is the shortness of the final Bowser battle. You know that awesome music you're hearing? Yeah, well, if you're as good as me, you don't hear it for more than 30 seconds. Yes, the battle is longer than that, but that part of the song only plays for the very end. That's about the only regret I have, and it's my own damn fault for being so good at Mario!

well unfortunately I watched the final boss video and yeah it does seem really easy. For some reason I was expecting the part with the epic music to be this really hard thing when it started but bowser does almost nothing. Still the whole situation and the look of it all is amazing and the music fit but still it could have been more. Really though no bowser boss battle has ever been hard or taken long to do so I guess I should have expected that.

fernoca

BowieZ said:
Don't like seeing someone replying to a spoiler with a sad face...
Don't mind..not even a spoiler...if it spoilers anything is that othersteve: is apparently too good at Mario games.. :p

Is mostly about a song that plays at the final battle (apparently the best part of that song is at the very end)..but, because he beat that part in like 30 seconds..it disappointed him that he didn't heard it more...

But...also.. that it was his fault..for being "so good" at Mario games..that other people might take some more time and hear it more), but since ..he's "that good"...it was short.. :p

LOL, hate to put it this way, but odds are most of you guys are about as good as I am at these games I'd wager. So yeah, I wish it had been longer.

But seriously, from both my game critic and my enthusiast perspective... Game of the Forever.

Personally this has become my all-time favorite. All-time favorite, no kidding, no embellishment!

Edit:

Also, Jason's Ultimatum, I do believe I agree. Time to mow the lawn... TO THE FINAL BOWSER BATTLE EPIC MUSIC. Hot damn, I'm going to zoom through these weeds like a freakin' hero. Time to vanquish some grass.

Top Bottom