• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Galaxy 2 |OT| with >NEW< hat!

Eyemus Lutt said:
Not sure if this was answered, but is there a display option for 4:3 or is it only widescreen.
It annoyed me that NSMB wii and Red steel 2 don't have any options for standard TV's.

The one thing Nintendo does right in terms of display these days, and you're asking this question? Really?

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
what's with the Gaming Discussion wide |OT| thing?

Lijik

VASPER said:
Ill give some impressions tonight when i get off work!!!!
hrc7zm.jpg
I hope you realize this is going to require a picture of you with the gamecase

dsister44

Shikamaru Ninja said:
You know what. Pikmin 3 is a possibility. Depending how smooth the development process is going. So make that the final 4. Zelda Wii. Wii Party. Wii Relax. and maybe. Pikmin 3ii.

Retro and Project Sora? Who the heck knows.

I reckon we will get one more new game from each nintnedo team

EAD1 - Mario kart 3DS? might not do another wii game
EAD 2 - wii party/relax
EAD3 Zelda
EAD4 Pikmin 3
EAD Tokyo - new donkey kong? or new miyamoto IP?

Intsys - I pray for a new fire emblem, probably advance wars 3ds as well
HAL - kirby wii
Retro - new IP
Monolith - xenoblade, another wii RPG
R&D1 - Other M
Project Sora - god knows
NST satan knows

This nis not including outsourced projects, of which there will be a lot

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Lijik said:
I hope you realize this is going to require a picture of you with the gamecase
don't start witch-hunts now. the game is released (in the US) in less than a day. be cool.

Rctdaemon

Seeing the hype, I kinda regret getting my copy at Amazon since it won't arrive until Tuesday or so. Oh well, the $20 credit is nice and I still have 14 stars to get in the original.

Kard8p3

so because I have no self control I watched the first couple minutes of the grandmaster galaxy that unlocks after getting all 240 stars. It looks like it could be really difficult. I can't wait to see the rest of it myself after getting all 240 stars (of course I need the game first.)

zigg

BertramCooper said:
I ended up going with Best Buy. I would have loved to have the $20 on Amazon, but I'm just too damn impatient.
Well, Reward Zone is giving 500 free points ($10 certificate), so you didn't entirely miss out :)

bluemax

Banned
Rez said:
don't start witch-hunts now. the game is released (in the US) in less than a day. be cool.

My local gameshop broke street date and started selling it on Friday, just like they do with every release.

Kad5

I bought some Gamestop Madcatz component cables for my Wii just for this game.

Are the Madcatz cables any good compared to the first-party cables?

mr.beers

I decided to treat myself to a video, Gamespot video review, and well this will be the longest 4 hour wait I have ever endured.

Let me in

bon said:
I've been playing almost nothing but RPGs lately. This is going to be a very refreshing change of pace.

Me, too. Resonance of Fate, FFXIII, 3D Dot Game. I'm itching for some jumping and running freedom.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Okay, I'm probably gonna get eviscerated for this but oh teh wellz.

Against my better judgement, I listened to quite a few tracks from the game, and I have to say, I'm a tad disappointed. The problem I think is that Yokota or whoever seemed to focus more on making the tracks sound orchestrated, but not on making them sound good. By that, I don't mean that they're not good - they are - BUT they're not very catchy like so many of the themes in the original. It's the same problem that I have with a lot of movie scores. Sure, they may have a gigantic music budget with a 50 piece orchestra, but all of that won't make much of a difference if the compositions are forgettable. I dunno, hopefully there are more tracks that weren't posted that are much better, but just my two cents.

tl; dr version:

20j04dd.jpg

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
Just found out the Gamestop I pre-ordered from won't be opening until noon tomorrow. Real bummer. That's 2PM for you Eastern timers.
I hate you Eastern Timers.

WillyFive

Oblivion said:

Against my better judgement, I listened to quite a few tracks from the game, and I have to say, I'm a tad disappointed. The problem I think is that Yokota or whoever seemed to focus more on making the tracks sound orchestrated, but not on making them sound good. By that, I don't mean that they're not good - they are - BUT they're not very catchy like so many of the themes in the original. It's the same problem that I have with a lot of movie scores. Sure, they may have a gigantic music budget with a 50 piece orchestra, but all of that won't make much of a difference if the compositions are forgettable. I dunno, hopefully there are more tracks that weren't posted that are much better, but just my two cents.

I have the new Bowser theme stuck in my head.

Joei

ILikeFeet said:
explain this. you get $10 credit/gift card? I'm going by there tomorrow to get the game

I believe you need to be part of the Reward Zone's Gamers Club. It's all free of charge. They'll basically give you 500 points towards your Reward Zone account which equates to 10$ (every 250 points is 5$). The only thing with this is it usually takes anywhere from a few weeks to possibly more than a month for you to get the points. The good thing is that you can use that currency towards anything in Best Buy, while the $20 Amazon deal is only applicable to gaming related purchases. The Amazon deal, however, is able to be used relatively very soon. For example, since they already shipped my SMG2 from Amazon, I'm able to use my $20 credit right now if I wanted.

Kard8p3

Oblivion said:

tl; dr version:

20j04dd.jpg

Seems to be quite the opposite for me. I can't keep the different themes out of my head but to each his own.

Galang

Banned
Already enjoying the second games tunes over the amazing first, but I rather experience them in game before I give them all a listen. I find it spoils some of the enjoyment when I listen to the whole OST beforehand.

bon said:
I've been playing almost nothing but RPGs lately. This is going to be a very refreshing change of pace.

Same for me! I rarely ever move away from the genre actually, but I could never pass this game up! :D

ILikeFeet

Banned
Joei said:
I believe you need to be part of the Reward Zone's Gamers Club. It's all free of charge. They'll basically give you 500 points towards your Reward Zone account which equates to 10$ (every 250 points is 5$). The only thing with this is it usually takes anywhere from a few weeks to possibly more than a month for you to get the points. The good thing is that you can use that currency towards anything in Best Buy, while the $20 Amazon deal is only applicable to gaming related purchases. The Amazon deal, however, is able to be used relatively very soon. For example, since they already shipped my SMG2 from Amazon, I'm able to use my $20 credit right now if I wanted.

eh, only have the normal reward zone. no biggie

WillyFive

beelzebozo said:
i can't judge a soundtrack divorced from its intended accompaniment.

The best soundtracks can survive, and even thrive from their intended accompaniment.

I think SMG2 is doing pretty well.

camineet

Banned
Jasoco said:
The GameBoy/Portable line has always took longer... or shorter.. Well, the portables have never had a set schedule.

Only counting platform changes:
The original GB came out in 1989. (Includes pocket and colors)
The replacement was the Color which came out 9 years later in 1998.
Its replacement the GBA was in 2001. (Includes GBA SP and micro)
The DS was in 2004. (Includes DS lite, DSi and DSi XL)
The 3DS will be when? 2011? 2012?
So 9, 3, 3, 7/8 year gaps between architectures/platforms. Or devices that actually changed the device enough to require upgrading to play newer games. Though I guess you could also count the DSi if that's right since some games do require the DSi, right?

2010 or early 2011

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
Willy105 said:
The best soundtracks can survive, and even thrive from their intended accompaniment.

I think SMG2 is doing pretty well.

probably so for many, but for me, when i listen to music from a video game the fact that it's good music is intrinsically linked to my memories of enjoying the game. i wouldn't listen to a good soundtrack from a bad game.

WillyFive

beelzebozo said:
probably so for many, but for me, when i listen to music from a video game the fact that it's good music is intrinsically linked to my memories of enjoying the game. i wouldn't listen to a good soundtrack from a bad game.

Sonic Unleashed's music is worth listening, even if it is from a bad game. It's an awesome soundtrack.

BowieZ

Banned
I have a feeling that, in a few weeks time, people saying "there's no Buoy Base Galaxy theme" will be looking back scratching their heads at their early opinions ^_^ but then again maybe I will.

ILikeFeet

Banned
Willy105 said:
Sonic Unleashed's music is worth listening, even if it is from a bad game. It's an awesome soundtrack.

yea, the music is the best thing about Sonic so far (and yet I heard they even screwed that up in Sonic 4 >_<)

andymcc

Banned
Willy105 said:

i can think of many games that are terrible with great soundtracks. castlevania judgement anyone?

BowieZ said:
I have a feeling that, in a few weeks time, people saying "there's no Buoy Base Galaxy theme" will be looking back scratching their heads at their early opinions ^_^ but then again maybe I will.

I haven't heard the entire soundtrack, because I don't think the entire soundtrack has leaked yet. There are various fanrips but most of them seem to be sketchy concerning how complete they are. So I won't rule it out yet, but I've listened to every single track I've come across, from Youtube tracks to around three fanrips, and I haven't heard anything as good as Battlerock or Buoy Base. But again, that might change, never know.

WillyFive

DeathbyVolcano said:
I'm just upset at the apparent lack of Gusty Garden's theme. Like, what the shit.

It's the end credits song.

camineet said:
I can only imagine how amazing SMG3 will be on Nintendo's next-gen console, be it Wii2, WiiHD or whatever it's called.

It can't be named Galaxy. New console, new surname.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
bmf said:
Super Mario Galaxy 3 for the Wii HD
camineet said:
I can only imagine how amazing SMG3 will be on Nintendo's next-gen console, be it Wii2, WiiHD or whatever it's called.

I think it's time to leave behind Super Mario Galaxy and work on a new series. Besides, the old Mario series only lasted for the lifespan of one system (e.g. SMB, SML, SMW).

EDIT: Damn, beaten.

Top Bottom