• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Maker |OT| Miyamoto Simulator 2015

Simbabbad

Sadly, I feel like these don't quite accomplish their goals as well - there's some really unintuitive jumps in the "classic Mario" stage (the triple-koopa near the end is particularly bad about lining up, and the "trap" jump that doesn't work if you are big Mario is a big put-off), and while the Metroid level is very atmospheric, the difficulty in dealing with all those huge Bloopers feels like it distracts from the atmosphere. Maybe cut down on the number of them. And remember, you don't have to put the mushrooms in blocks - they can be out in the world or even right above Mario at the start to change characters!
In "Old School Super Mario (1/4)", I didn't want to make a trap jump, in fact, I changed the platforms + coins emplacements many times to avoid it. I haven't unlocked much tools back then, if I could have, I've had made cloud blocks. When I tested it before publication I never ran into the blocks, but retesting it (and watching player death data), I see it's still possible to be trolled, and it's unacceptable.
For the koopa alignment, the game is really irritating when it comes to enemies appearing. Sometimes enemies just aren't there when you go to an area, or they're not in synch. I understand it depends on user behaviour since enemies "appear" when you get close enough, but I lost a lot in online stages because Piranha Plants take ages to appear (I've been careful to announce them in my level to avoid this). Anyway, I see that section is not in line with the rest thanks to your feedback, and thanks to death data.

I solved those problems, the level has been updated:

Super%2BMario%2BMaker%2BStage%2B%2528niveau%2Bou%2Blevel%2529%2BOld%2BSchool%2BSuper%2BMario%2B%2528Plains%2529.png

As for "y cant metroid shoot?"... obviously people don't enjoy dealing with Bloopers the way I do. I didn't have a problem with this section because I took the time to carefully lure them to the higher platforms to the left, but I broke a Super Mario rule: always giving the player different ways to complete a level - people shouldn't have to follow a specific strategy. Since this level stands a lot on atmosphere, I edited the difficulty (while still being challenging) for it to be more "direct": I removed some repetition and added platforms so it's quicker and easier to deal with enemies.

Updated, flows much better now:

Super%2BMario%2BMaker%2BStage%2B%2528niveau%2Bou%2Blevel%2529%2BMetroid%2BResurgence%2B-%2BTourian.png

As for "?" mushroom in blocks, though, it's intentional: I wanted to make clear from the start that all blocks contain power suits, like a number of lives. I made it even clearer (and added some extra "energy tanks") in my update.

Anyway, your feedback has been extremely valuable, thank you.

Judging by your pics... Super Mario Maker level app? Where can I find that?
Nope, I don't even own a smartphone :) it's a model I made in Photoshop.

Am I weird or were some concessions made with the NSMB theme? The enemy animation seems a bit choppy, like it runs at 30fps.
I really like NSMB games (mostly the non DS ones), but NSMB on SMM is pretty terrible. Choppy enemy animation (they're 2D models I guess), horrible filling patterns (large ground areas in the underground settings look terrible), and horizontal pipes next to the ground in the plain settings not even entering the ground - you can see the sky between the ground and the pipe. It all looks so botched up.

Still loving the game! Hopefully in a couple weeks time they have a way for cream to rise to the top. I've spent a lot of time with mine, creating multiple pathways if one section is too hard, hidden stars, etc. All the random maps that feature a gauntlet of chaos on the first screen are getting kind of old.
Indeed, thank God for the skipping option.

One question though: the quick look and other videos don't show or mention the 60 or so developer levels, made by Michel Ancel and more. Is that in a seperate category somewhere? tbh that'd be my main reason to get it.
They're all in the 10 Mario Challenge, and after playing them you can load them in the editor. They're really not that good or interesting, they're concepts more than levels.

DryvBy

Is there a reason to go after hidden things like 1-Ups in these maps? It seems like implementing Yoshi coins to collect would be a much better idea.

Simbabbad

Is there a reason to go after hidden things like 1-Ups in these maps? It seems like implementing Yoshi coins to collect would be a much better idea.
They're very useful in the 100 Mario Challenge (in Expert, in particular, I could have never completed the mode without them).

Jucksalbe

Banned
I really wish there was a faster way to unlock the amiibo costumes. I'm still trying to unlock Samus, I even got a stupid Mahjong tile before her.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
8th level loaded

https://miiverse.nintendo.net/posts/AYQHAAABAACNUKFJtFmDPQ

"Vie multiple nella nave volante"
ID: 7435-0000-0037-3A28

Brief description: it's a flying fortress level that includes several sections (including a small maze and a brief flying section), with several paths that can be followed through pipes and that cross between each other. But there's a catch at the end: specific paths will allow to reach specific heights of the pole.
Unlike the other times, I thought a small description of what I tried (and hopefully achieved) to do with this level, thanks to sub-areas now available to use, was necessary, since it's probably the most intricate level I made so far. I'm eager to hear from you what you think about it.
Also, all the other levels I made so far.

"Tante vie, una bandiera"
ID: 9142-0000-0013-47B2

"Sottosopra o sottosotto?"
ID: 661F-0000-0013-DF3F

"Una breve ma intensa nuotata"
ID: 7150D-0000-0014-BE0A

"Insidie del castello"
ID: 37FB-0000-001F-4F62

"Gusci veloci, all'aperto"
ID: 4DB8-0000-0021-10EC

"Ora si sale, ora si scende"
ID: 2C4B-0000-0025-57B3

"Fantasmatico"
ID: 0502-0000-002E-694E

sikkinixx

Fun game. People are shit at developing levels (no surprise) way too much LOL JUST JUMP AND HOPE YOU LAND BLINDLY ON THE 2 SQUARE PLATFORM #) TILES DOWN HAHAHAZLOLAZ but there have been a couple I've tried that are truly challenging, really well done planned out at least. Hopefully in a few months all the top levels won't just be "Don't push anything" ones.

The lack of stuff available to tinker with my levels (I just now spammed the tiles and it popped up saying I'll get new shit tomorrow) made me turn it off. Nintendo's fucking hand holding is so annoying.

Robin64

Not really sure if buying amiibos is any faster. ;)

Well, Samus is in every shop I go. Man, if you were closer I'd just lend you mine. Took my whole collection round my pal's at the weekend to save him some headache.

Edit: It's a bit shit that Easy only gives 14 costumes, though. I'm really hoping Normal doesn't have a limit too.

My son and I made a level together; our first upload. It's a pure collab between a grizzled Mario veteran and a nine year old with his own unique design sensibilities. I think it's pretty challenging but I tried hard to ensure it wasn't unfair, and there are two paths to the goal if it seems overwhelming. Please give it a try and a star if you think it's worth your while! Feedback is certainly appreciated.

Bob-omb Battleship

WVW69iYp9ZE1kjm5mt

(4122-0000-0034-233C)

Major Marvelous

Neo Member
So how does everyone have everything unlocked? I just got the underwater levels yesterday, while everyone has ships and all games

You need to first go through and use all the tools that have an "!" on them, then place a bunch of blocks (you can just spam, delete, then spam more to unlock them). After a while of spamming, the next queue should come in.

Fun game. People are shit at developing levels (no surprise) way too much LOL JUST JUMP AND HOPE YOU LAND BLINDLY ON THE 2 SQUARE PLATFORM #) TILES DOWN HAHAHAZLOLAZ but there have been a couple I've tried that are truly challenging, really well done planned out at least. Hopefully in a few months all the top levels won't just be "Don't push anything" ones.

The lack of stuff available to tinker with my levels (I just now spammed the tiles and it popped up saying I'll get new shit tomorrow) made me turn it off. Nintendo's fucking hand holding is so annoying.

Keep spamming tiles. You will get things the next day if you don't use them. Or you use everything available to you, and unlock them all today. I spent 7 hours messing around, and unlocked everything you can on Friday alone.

Pilgrimzero

In "Old School Super Mario (1/4)", I didn't want to make a trap jump, in fact, I changed the platforms + coins emplacements many times to avoid it. I haven't unlocked much tools back then, if I could have, I've had made cloud blocks. When I tested it before publication I never ran into the blocks, but retesting it (and watching player death data), I see it's still possible to be trolled, and it's unacceptable.
For the koopa alignment, the game is really irritating when it comes to enemies appearing. Sometimes enemies just aren't there when you go to an area, or they're not in synch. I understand it depends on user behaviour since enemies "appear" when you get close enough, but I lost a lot in online stages because Piranha Plants take ages to appear (I've been careful to announce them in my level to avoid this). Anyway, I see that section is not in line with the rest thanks to your feedback, and thanks to death data.

I solved those problems, the level has been updated:

Super%2BMario%2BMaker%2BStage%2B%2528niveau%2Bou%2Blevel%2529%2BOld%2BSchool%2BSuper%2BMario%2B%25281%2Bof%2B4%2529.png

As for "y cant metroid shoot?"... obviously people don't enjoy dealing with Bloopers the way I do. I didn't have a problem with this section because I took the time to carefully lure them to the higher platforms to the left, but I broke a Super Mario rule: always giving the player different ways to complete a level - people shouldn't have to follow a specific strategy. Since this level stands a lot on atmosphere, I edited the difficulty (while still being challenging) for it to be more "direct": I removed some repetition and added platforms so it's quicker and easier to deal with enemies.

Updated, flows much better now:

Super%2BMario%2BMaker%2BStage%2B%2528niveau%2Bou%2Blevel%2529%2By%2Bcant%2Bmetroid%2Bshoot%2B-%2BTourian.png

As for "?" mushroom in blocks, though, it's intentional: I wanted to make clear from the start that all blocks contain power suits, like a number of lives. I made it even clearer (and added some extra "energy tanks") in my update.

Anyway, your feedback has been extremely valuable, thank you.

Nope, I don't even own a smartphone :) it's a model I made in Photoshop.

I really like NSMB games (mostly the non DS ones), but NSMB on SMM is pretty terrible. Choppy enemy animation (they're 2D models I guess), horrible filling patterns (large ground areas in the underground settings look terrible), and horizontal pipes next to the ground in the plain settings not even entering the ground - you can see the sky between the ground and the pipe. It all looks so botched up.

Indeed, thank God for the skipping option.

They're all in the 10 Mario Challenge, and after playing them you can load them in the editor. They're really not that good or interesting, they're concepts more than levels.

Awesome. Looking forward to giving the Metroid one another try.

sikkinixx

Keep spamming tiles. You will get things the next day if you don't use them. Or you use everything available to you, and unlock them all today. I spent 7 hours messing around, and unlocked everything you can on Friday alone.

Problem is 7 hours is about how long I'll probably ever play the maker part of the game in total.

So yeah, my wife can unlock it or I'll probably stick to playing 100 life challenges and such.

Alpha_eX

In my levels I hide an Amiibo, mostly as a second challenge to finish with it, also to see if my friends managed to find it by correctly mentioning which one it was they found.

I personally think they're cool little secrets.

Addi

Hi!

First time posting stages here and I would like people to try these two out.

This one I spent a lot of time on, I'm happy with some of the mechanisms in the middle of the stage, the start and end might be a little weak.

0PvxDoZl.jpg

This one has really low success rate for a stage that is simply doing a lot of triple jumps in a row (bad screenshot).

4LzlSARl.jpg

I'll check out some of the stages from this thread :)

papo

I've made 4 levels you guys should try them if you want: 33A6-0000-0031-48A8

It's a multiple choice level? You can find the rest on my account and I'll definitely add them.

I had a couple of questions though:
  • I can only make 1 sublevel?
  • I can only have one 3 second custom sfx right? Not longer?
  • I seem to be missing some items like SMW football dudes or SMB3 color blocks you can get behind of. Are these just not here or am I not shaking someone?

All in all the game is great. I love creating stuff. I already have a TMNT Nes underwater stage and have several: a maze stage, metroidvania stage, mea man stage etc.

I just wish or want more items there I hope they are added. I like it a lot more than LBP and I appreciate that they included all stages even for the ones not available in earlier games like boo houses. though this might cause problems if everything has to be interchangeable all the time.

backlot

Problem is 7 hours is about how long I'll probably ever play the maker part of the game in total.

So yeah, my wife can unlock it or I'll probably stick to playing 100 life challenges and such.

It doesn't take 7 hours to unlock everything. It took me closer to 1 hour.

stuminus3

I've never in my life been interested in creating levels for anything but this has me hooked. It's a miracle if I spend more than 5 minutes in a creator and here's me spending an hour in SMM working on the timing of one tiny section of level, playtesting it over and over again. What's up with? Is the source material just that much fun?

Super Mario Land 2 - Macro Zone is a remake of the third level from that world. I tried to be as faithful as I could to the house theme, it's not really the best level in the game but whatever.

7B13 - 0000 - 0037 - 8D43

KidB

Hey guys, I just created my first level, Fear of Heights (DDE9-0000-0037-512C)

WVW69iYxYYUtADsflB

It's pretty basic because I only had the initial tools, but I think it's challenging.

LostComplex

Neo Member
Reposting as I would really appreciate some feedback on this level!

House of Boos v. King Boo
Style: SMB 3
Map: Ghost House
Difficulty: Moderate/Hard
ID: 770D-0000-0034-A311
WVW69iYrZ-Q2Z8pcVX

Level rankings right now are just a popularity contest. Sorry, but Francis, Jeremy Parish, and Jeff Gertsmann's levels are not THAT good. It seems like you need a gaming news site, YouTube, or Twitch channel to be considered good at making levels.

I've never in my life been interested in creating levels for anything but this has me hooked. It's a miracle if I spend more than 5 minutes in a creator and here's me spending an hour in SMM working on the timing of one tiny section of level, playtesting it over and over again. What's up with? Is the source material just that much fun?

I think it's due to the intuitive, snappy interface combined with the core gameplay/editing being extremely beginner friendly.

I never got into stuff like LittleBigPlanet's creator because it was pretty convoluted. SMM's simplicity is its strength.

Alright GAF...i'm on the fence. Literally, so far on the fence it's almost hilarious. I cannot decide, i'm leaving it to you.

Context, me and a friend play games every wednesday night now it's winter, we usually golf after work but it is too dark.

Is this worth the money and enjoyment for two people? If yes, worth getting the more expensive one with the Amiibo? How is the art book?

Damn you can lose hours that feel like minutes to this game!

OmtqUhE.jpg

Springmaze
Style: NSMBU
Map: Ground
Difficulty: Moderate
ID: 69A0-0000-0037-93CA

This is the second version after my wife kept dying! Added more puzzley bits and made most of the tricky bits just for rewards. I think it's pretty fun and challenging now

Platy

Alright GAF...i'm on the fence. Literally, so far on the fence it's almost hilarious. I cannot decide, i'm leaving it to you.

Context, me and a friend play games every wednesday night now it's winter, we usually golf after work but it is too dark.

Is this worth the money and enjoyment for two people? If yes, worth getting the more expensive one with the Amiibo? How is the art book?

I had some fun playing with the people that live with me, one level each drinking some beers and laughing at the other people dying xD

PMS341

Don't put too many enemies in one place.

yeah XD

Good call. I think the last stretch may have a BIT too much going on (or maybe the part right before it? heh)

And I'm glad you enjoyed them, the cannon part had me giddy when building it

Fixed1979

A couple quick questions, I just want to make sure these two things are unlocks and I'm not missing them...

Transport Pipes, I have pipes but I can't figure out a way to "connect them", I'm guessing the pipes I need are unlocks?

The other thing is the mario trail that you're suppose to get in Edit after playing a level...I don't have the button for it, I can't imagine this one is an unlock as it's in the manual.

I'm really digging the level creator and can't wait to share some once I get a couple designs I'm happy with. Definitely need to try some GAF levels as there's a lot of really shitty ones out there, most of the ones I've played with lots of ratings are not that good, I know the game is still brand new but I'm surprised people are giving a start to some of these.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Read some quote on how they just wanted people to play them to experience them firsthand as opposed to watching a video about it. I understand the initial thought, despite how detached it may sound, but getting a nice preview beforehand to gauge interest doesn't seem like an issue to me.

I was thinking more of the possibility of uploading ot Youtube to attract friends or family to the game. Like..."wanna know what crazy shit you can do in Mario Maker? Here's what I did myself."

One thing that sold me on the game (I was already sold, but added to my excitement) was watching the Treehouse Twitch stream of the four guys making and playing levels, and the good natured fun that Kit and Krysta from Nintendo Minute had.

Yes get the Amiibo bundle (here in Canada, ours was separate) because classic Mario adds something there's no other way to get. Jumbo Mario and stuff. The artbook is nice, and gives insight into Mario game design ideas.

- Use every new object
- Mess around in the editor for five minutes
- Spam block tiles

It takes less than an hour to unlock everything

except the weird shroom

MrBadger

So far my favourite thing about this game has been making outlandish levels, handing them to my friend and watching him suffer through them. I think the game's at it's best when there are two people.

PSqueak

Banned

It's for when they come up in your 100 Mario challenge, you never know when you might need extra lives after a kaizo level.

Kinsei

Banned
OK GAF, I'm going to be playing through a few stages in a couple of hours so if you want me to give you some feedback on yours, let me know either here or in a PM. I've got probably eight levels from the thread lined up to play but I'll definitely play more. Even if you're the type who thinks everyone's skipping your level, give me the code and I'll play.

Two conditions:

1) No kaizo or automated stuff. Just don't.
2) I graciously ask if I'm going to play your levels and give you feedback that you try a couple of mine. If you want to give feedback, stars, posts, shares, whatever, doesn't matter to me. Do what your heart compels you to do. Just get another pair of feet on my levels and I'm cool with it.

Here's my stages:

The Spring's the Thing (just the basic tileset): F6DA-0000-0016-3AD4
Big Trouble: 3B43-0000-0016-FFC2
Shell Shock (the TMNT homage level): 0CCD-0000-001D-9748
Buzzy's Cavern: D2D2-0000-0026-9161
Mole Mountain: 2AB6-0000-002D-182F
Wiggler's Red-Hot Fortress: 92AB-0000-0032-4720

The Spring's the Thing: A nice first world-esque level that serves to teach the player a new mechanic.
Big Trouble: I see what you were going for, but the layout of the level didn't do your idea justice. Some more bottmeless pits and platforming challenges would improve it IMO.
Shell Shock: I never played TMNT on the NES so the reference was lost on me. I felt the level was pretty boring.
Buzzy's Cavern: I really enjoyed this one. What's funny is I ended up missing the entrance to the alternate path and took what you had intended to be the exit pipe into it. I then proceeded to use the cape to fly over everything back to the start of the area.
Wiggler's Red-Hot Fortress: I loved the alternate cape path and the main path was also enjoyable.

Ranger X

Easier With Mushroom 01

(7573-0000-001D-33D5)

Find and use the unique mushroom to complete the level. If you miss the mushroom, completing the level will be harder.

WVW69iYEcVQqP6W_7r

Easier With Mushroom 02

(8118-0000-001D-CBD3)

Here again, use the unique mushroom to complete the level or else it will be harder to complete!

WVW69iYFTh86ctSrRv

Tried recreating the original DKC's Jungle Hyjinxs, with the classic SMB style naturally so you could play as DK and eventually Diddy if you rescue him. Recreated everything from bonus rooms to handslap-secrets now being secret blocks with coins. Rambi died and reincarnated as a starman. Hopefully people dig this throw back!

E22E-0000-0035-DC5E
I like how you replicated barrelling out of a bonus room/treehouse with the rock falling effect.
Got all the bonus rooms, give me my ! mark on the stage name.
Anywho, neat stuff.

Little bump for my first level since it's sorely lacking in plays:

The Tunnel of Imminent Peril
C8C3-0000-0030-5A42
wtGyFpV.jpg

I did put quite a lot of time and effort into it, so I'd really appreciate you guys giving it a go. Feedback welcome. It's quite challenging in parts and could benefit from a checkpoint, but hopefully never unfair.

See I notice this keeps getting reposted so I figure why not?

Now I'm finally done part of me is thinking "hey in a way that was pretty well designed", on the other hand...
zAaAB.gif

such anguish

Okay I was up waaaayyyyyy too late last night building my first "tower" type map. I'd appreciate anyone who wanted to check it out/give feedback!

"The Tower" (367F-0000-0035-6FDF):
YwXpgp4Z9gjgRvpWpxbeot1zQs313xlbaWizc5cWqAXIjRpAVrZXBmrgV2RnPCJ5zHJCNG20O8P4CfBj_uIjS-YxrrNtlxN8O_e5RtM483zdHLA7nzMSUxREWj5O0Wgnr5btnZiclHvwnNy2OHiH8xma0-LaffhPfR5J9ASyktYf1eH6j2iLIl3MI4AMYGUa4RlKAQ9i2cgkaoOOVseeqA4npGwij8HwoaRQEzEJKIDXJvI9dQmg9vD8eReXEkLmsC_ZE4YqWceN6QyXvWIW76YOSqVqWJklL1rLM0q7K9Qmx1DDn8dpSeS8sCPy52YnZ4kAQELDcCBQoHyvQgOlTuyTNGDH5jyl_U5uGZck0LBnGxFxDkvL3f9750fzchDn_7ODc8OUGC4MRfyBrx38Ebs1jr8x-hPXl1GQkg6KIg9GagZdnjHV2NAqJX4iugz3K9LYiYR2iC1UjMXQcX9FdAoC-iyUr_Q3joQVD57gso82ERmmq0axHTjfhLNYe-Y5f_EDw2gYlDr4aMgRM-LOLgX1uC3e-RZvKG5x4EkufpQ=w931-h543-no

To me it's moderately difficult, but not unfair - and there's lots of help scattered about in the form of a mushroom. You climb a mechanical tower and - after a little Castlevania homage - confront Bowser in a battle that's hard to lose but still feels good.

Despite going out of my way to make it nearly impossible to die on my most recent level, I only have a clear rate of ~55%. I didn't see any red X's on the map so I'm not sure how to interpret that.

How bizarre.

dock

New level. Would like to get some feedback here or in Miiverse.

Big Brain Academy Bros.
9C1F-0000-0037-12F1
WVW69iYw9O0csSD4zv

Not a platformer but a logic game. And Dr.Lobe is the protagonist. Can you answer everything correctly?

I am excited to play this!

Sephzilla

Despite going out of my way to make it nearly impossible to die on my most recent level, I only have a clear rate of ~55%. I didn't see any red X's on the map so I'm not sure how to interpret that.

How bizarre.

My guess is people are quitting the level before finishing?

At least its better than what I'm seeing on one of my levels. Most people on my level are dying to a single Thwomp near the start of my level that you see coming a mile away and can avoid by just waiting for it to drop.

Top Bottom