• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Maker |OT| Miyamoto Simulator 2015

PMS341

Woke up this morning to see that there were over 100 attempts on my stage last night, but still a 0% clear rate. But most deaths were at the easiest part (the beginning). Surely someone on GAF can clear it? This one:

First stage!

https://miiverse.nintendo.net/posts/AYMHAAACAAADVHkcCy0jzg

Dry Bones' Boollet Hell

4yq1Bxr.jpg

ID: FA34-0000-0031-3EBE

It can be a tad difficult. Let me know what you guys think!

Robin64

One question though: the quick look and other videos don't show or mention the 60 or so developer levels, made by Michel Ancel and more. Is that in a seperate category somewhere? tbh that'd be my main reason to get it.

Other than the ones Nintendo put in as remixes and short stage ideas, you play in 10 Marios mode, there are no developer levels with the game.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Other than the ones Nintendo put in as remixes and short stage ideas, you play in 10 Marios mode, there are no developer levels with the game.

Wait, didn't they specifically announce that to be there? A 'guest' mode where you could play other devs' levels, like Ancel? I remember reading somewhere he and others made levels for the game.

edit: looked it up: he made one that could 'potentially' be part of those 60 pre-made levels... That's disappointing. A 'tribute' mode, where you could see each guest dev and their level, would've been amazing.

maxcriden

One question though: the quick look and other videos don't show or mention the 60 or so developer levels, made by Michel Ancel and more. Is that in a seperate category somewhere? tbh that'd be my main reason to get it.

Whatever you do, do not buy the game for solely this reason. The included levels are mostly there (in a separate 10 Mario Challenge Mode) to stoke your creative flames. They provide ideas but generally from what we've played of them, they are in no way are going to be of the length or satisfaction of the Mario levels you get in a typical Mario game. You will almost certainly be disappointed if you pay full price and only play those levels.

Wait, didn't they specifically announce that to be there? A 'guest' mode where you could play other devs' levels, like Ancel? I remember reading somewhere he and others made levels for the game.

They never announced this, as far as I know. But I'm sure plenty of devs are uploading levels for fun. I've heard about the Ancel level but I'm not sure if it's in there. AFAIK the included levels by and large are Nintendo-made.

massoluk

Banned
I don't have the game yet, how are the user created levels so far? Are they actually fun or is everyone trying to be an asshole to create the most annoying level possible?
There are some brilliant gems in there, but mostly hellish difficulty. But to be fair, as it was with me, a lot of creators probably didn't expect their levels would be difficult for other people.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
Reposting the stage I made yesterday since I want more plays and feedback. Please increase the 0.90 clear rate.

3681-0000-002F-ECEB

Note that I have taken suggestions on board for this concept already and in my next stage I will design it so that falling will give you a chance to try again instead of killing the player.

Robin64

They did get developers to make levels, it's true, but they never said they'd be part of the game. They may upload them to servers at some point, though.

Alpha_eX

Just beat it in 10 attempts. It's a pretty fiendish level! All of the hazards are really well conceived, perfectly placed, and require strategy to defeat. My favorite was the koopa section. Only annoying part is having to "bunny hop" multiple times toward the beginning on each playthrough. Maybe it's me, but I always feel cramped having to do that.

In any case, great job, I gave you a Star. Check out my course (3936-0000-0031-C411) if you're looking for another tough, but fair challenge.

You give good feedback! Do you mind checking out my level? I'll check out both of these tonight, making a list of all the ones I want to play for later.

CO3uHYoWwAAlkbf.png:large

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
85 characters is really bad for feedback. Si strange to have such a limit when Miiverse is general doesn't.

DoubleYou

How long does it take before I can use all objects?
I've been playing all day and I just now unlocked lakitu. I'm at version 1.01.

Been watching streams all week so I really don't like to wait before I can actually start building what I have in mind. Will it unlock when I play community levels?

Made my first level :D

28BE-0000-0029-6797

Nothing too fancy, i'm still getting used to the editor, but i hope it's fun.

I overcame my hatred of trampolines to play this one. I enjoyed the middle sections and spin jumping over the plants.

I posted my second level last night here and it got some fantastic GAF testimonials, so I'm gonna post it again in hopes of some more people playing it:

Ruined Castle Romp
6684-0000-0034-1BD7

A SMW-esque level with lots of secrets (4 1-up mushrooms) and shortcuts.

WVW69iYp9682LvMjBj

HoJu

Woke up this morning to see that there were over 100 attempts on my stage last night, but still a 0% clear rate. But most deaths were at the easiest part (the beginning). Surely someone on GAF can clear it? This one:

dude what the fuck

cyba89

New level. Would like to get some feedback here or in Miiverse.

Big Brain Academy Bros.
9C1F-0000-0037-12F1
WVW69iYw9O0csSD4zv

Not a platformer but a logic game. And Dr.Lobe is the protagonist. Can you answer everything correctly?

Major Marvelous

Neo Member
Hey guys, I went ahead and made another level:

WVW69iYrqwIcbHoMAy

Bowser's Springy Lair
D580-0000-0034-C555

This level mainly uses springs and falling blocks as the main mechanic.

Also, my recreation of the Sonic 2 level Emerald Hill Zone that I posted on here earlier got buried, so I thought I'd repost the code:

Emerald Hill Zone Act 1
7FA5-0000-0028-C987

Hope you guys enjoy them!

daydream

Banned

edit: looked it up: he made one that could 'potentially' be part of those 60 pre-made levels... That's disappointing. A 'tribute' mode, where you could see each guest dev and their level, would've been amazing.

miyamoto confirmed that he'd upload creations of his own at some point, i'm really looking forward to those, at least

BratmanDu

How long does it take before I can use all objects?
I've been playing all day and I just now unlocked lakitu. I'm at version 1.01.

Been watching streams all week so I really don't like to wait before I can actually start building what I have in mind. Will it unlock when I play community levels?

Put one of each item that still has a '!' on it, then just spam regular blocks, create delete until next set arrives, shouldn't take longer than 5-10 min per set, just make sure you have no '!' beside any items.

Bladelaw

Put one of each item that still has a '!' on it, then just spam regular blocks, create delete until next set arrives, shouldn't take longer than 5-10 min per set, just make sure you have no '!' beside any items.

Oh so that's what I was missing. I kept wondering if they pulled the 9Day thing since I was still subject to it. Go figure. Thanks for the heads up!

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I'm guessing is has something to do with fitting the messages onto the course at a reasonable size

That's true but it does make a lot of my comments sound harsher than I want since they are often stripped down to one core critique.

theaface

Just beat it in 10 attempts. It's a pretty fiendish level! All of the hazards are really well conceived, perfectly placed, and require strategy to defeat. My favorite was the koopa section. Only annoying part is having to "bunny hop" multiple times toward the beginning on each playthrough. Maybe it's me, but I always feel cramped having to do that.

In any case, great job, I gave you a Star. Check out my course (3936-0000-0031-C411) if you're looking for another tough, but fair challenge.

Thanks very much for the feedback, the star, and making it to the end. I'll return the favour and give yours a go when I'm home later. :)

Forkball

Is there any way to check the deaths for sub levels? In my Waluigi level, it has a surprising amount of deaths, but most of the hazards are in the sub area so I want to see what's killing them. I designed it so you will get hit a lot, but there's always a mushroom right after each section. WHAT ARE PEOPLE DOING?

Super excited to share my next level with you all. Finally got it in a state I'm happy with after probably putting 20 hours or more into this thing.

Basically, the concept is a choose your own adventure of sorts. There are five different paths with different themes that will all lead to a different route to the flag at the end. It's made to be pretty easy to beat and more of a sightseeing/discovery sort of thing, though two of the paths have some light puzzle elements. I tried to give each path an equal amount of love so if it has a fair amount of gameplay early, it probably has a short ending. The routes are relatively short and I crammed about everything I could into the main level and sublevel.

Please give it a go (or multiple) as there's lots to see. Would love some feedback!

Secret of Magenta Mines: B279-0000-0034-1EB8
Difficulty: Beginner
Length: Short (Replayable)
Tileset: NSMBU - Underground

Also, check out my first level too if you'd like. I limited myself to only the first tier of unlocks.

Rise and Fall of King Goomba V2: A1E0-0000-001C-A138
Difficulty: Intermediate
Length: Medium
Tileset: NSMBU - Underground

No one has played my latest level yet last I checked. Any one kind enough to give me a playthrough (or a few) please? I'd appreciate it greatly, thanks!

Alpha_eX

All these levels... I can't wait to go home and play them!

I really wish there was a way to queue up levels online in browser and then get the list in the game later.

What is the last set of items and how are they unlocked, I played for about 6 hours and didn't get them.

So I finished the four NWC levels last night, and it said I unlocked something. What did I unlock? I wasn't able to check right away cause I had murdered my battery again, but I looked this morning and see nothing. Did I miss something?

Pinky

Banned
Picked up the game on Saturday and I'm absolutely addicted! Love it!

Here's my first upload. Enjoy!

Koopa's Keep
D2ED-0000-0033-C9FC

Kinsei

Banned
So I finished the four NWC levels last night, and it said I unlocked something. What did I unlock? I wasn't able to check right away cause I had murdered my battery again, but I looked this morning and see nothing. Did I miss something?

You can now shake super mushrooms in the SMB style to make them the skinny mushroom.

BratmanDu

Since I'm here, I'll post my first level, it has a lot of verticality. I would say that even though it's my 1st level, I didn't really start making levels until I had all the tools unlocked, so it's not just using the basic toolset. Have a look:

fY1VfTv.png

You could place a door near the room where you have your timed platforms. As soon as you enter a door, all positions of enemies and plattforms are reset. For testing purposes, you could place the other door right at the start and jump to the desired area right away.

This should help for smaller set-ups.

Yeah, I considered that, but I haven't unlocked the ability to create separate rooms yet, and sadly, one of my ideas involves a long series of moving platforms; enough that containing it all to within spawn distance isn't possible.

BooJoh

That was exactly what I was talking about, but when I tried it did not work, the second I made the second set
of pipes, the first set doesn't work anymore.

I'm not sure what's going wrong for you then. 5 of my 6 levels have multiple pipes going in and out of the sub-levels and I've never experienced issues with them.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
I don't have the game yet, how are the user created levels so far? Are they actually fun or is everyone trying to be an asshole to create the most annoying level possible?

Pretty awful, as expected. You'll find the occasional good level here and there, but by and large, it's just a bunch of crap that's not particularly fun. I haven't run into many levels that are overly difficult, either. Just boring.

BooJoh

All these levels... I can't wait to go home and play them!

I really wish there was a way to queue up levels online in browser and then get the list in the game later.
I would love that. I'd love to be able to just queue up a ton of levels and then just play through my queue in order when I fire up the game.

What is the last set of items and how are they unlocked, I played for about 6 hours and didn't get them.

If you mean the last bar with what looks like a face icon instead of a number, I think that's just for making a custom palette of your favorite items. I'm not sure why it's needed since the icons just move rather than being able to copy them too.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
I wish there was a way to upload to Youtube a video of a course attempt. Would be nice way to show our levels.

Any chance you think they will add slopes? I have grown so accustom to them some levels feel like they are truly missing that little extra touch.

MrBadger

Hey, thought I'd share a few of my levels here -

Boo's Mystery P Switch Palace
4B5E-0000-0021-835F

The idea is you have to find which box has the P Switch in it, and use it to proceed. All the other boxes contain boos so keep pressing the wrong one and things will get hectic.

To the top of the mountain
E6DE-0000-002F-16C1

I had a go at creating a vertical level. It was more about trying out the idea of stitching a mountain together with doors and the enemy placement came later so it might be a bit weak in that regard.

Waluigi squashes a Goomba
6523-0000-002F-DB18

Because sometimes it's just fun to dick around in the level editor

DryvBy

Has anyone tried my map yet? I wanted to make more but I wanted a suggestion.

World 1.3 - 1.3

6CBE-0000-0032-E361

To give a heads up, it's a combination of World 1-1 from SMB and SMB 3.

TheMoon

I've watched the Giant Bomb quick look and I may get this sooner than I orginally planned, it looks like a blast. The creator looks so simple to use that I might even try to create levels, instead of just playing others like I first planned.

There are no developer-made levels in the game. There are 68 "sample courses" from Nintendo in there that you play as part of the 10-Mario Challenge plus the four Nintendo World Championship courses. Everything else is basic templates that help you get a level going and all the user-made levels.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
At work, very agitated that I cannot do a follow up check on how many people played my courses and their current star and clear rate.

Damnit. This game needs a web app.

Right? I was thinking exactly this this morning. BUT it's nice booting the game and being all "oh boy let's see what people have been playing," web app would rob me of that tiny joy.

MrBadger

Well...I got to the part with the ice block. That has to count for something, right?

PMS341

I wish there was a way to upload to Youtube a video of a course attempt. Would be nice way to show our levels.

Read some quote on how they just wanted people to play them to experience them firsthand as opposed to watching a video about it. I understand the initial thought, despite how detached it may sound, but getting a nice preview beforehand to gauge interest doesn't seem like an issue to me.

PMS341

Well...I got to the part with the ice block. That has to count for something, right?

Absolutely!

A tip: You can kind of nudge yourself to the left while hanging around the very right edge of the conveyer belt and the ice block will eventually catch you perfectly, allowing you passage up. Once you're on it, I recommend you sit on the rightmost part of the block and duck. ;)

I've watched the Giant Bomb quick look and I may get this sooner than I orginally planned, it looks like a blast. The creator looks so simple to use that I might even try to create levels, instead of just playing others like I first planned.

Creating levels really is incredibly fun, and I don't think I've ever enjoyed the creation aspects other games.

Top Bottom