• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Maker |OT| Miyamoto Simulator 2015

VandalD

Yeah I don't know how to fix that, in Lunar Magic you can adjust the screen scroll. Guess I could put some objects out of view to force it to scroll up.
That should do it, yeah. Could also start the level higher up so that there's a lot of ground underneath. Edit: Downloaded it and put a single block high up, and that made it scroll sufficently.

That should do it, yeah. Could also start the level higher up so that there's a lot of ground underneath. Edit: Downloaded it and put a single block high up, and that made it scroll sufficently.
Yep, just fixed it by putting a block on the very top left.
Seems odd it is not an option.

Pikma

Banned
Reposting this from two pages back since I'd love some more feedback (especially on what I'm doing wrong) on my newest course.

WVW69iZFbeg_QPxwTI

It's not really perfect and it'll probably take quite a few tries to beat since it has some trial and error involved but I did my best to not make it feel too cheap and to avoid being excessive in terms of throwing shit at you just for the sake of it.

Where did you have the most trouble?
Almost exactly in the sections boojoh mentioned, I actually reached Bowser but wasted the switch and ended up dying.

I actually think you and me may share some designing philosophy problems. Like, I know that last part is not complicated at all, but the fact that you gotta go through so many obstacles before you get there makes it feel a lot harder and having to replay the whole level, even if it's short, just because you did an intuitive action (and one that you've been doing since the start of the level) and got punished for it is not enjoyable.

Enjoyed everything else, even though it did kill me a lot lol

You may want to check out the level I just posted so you're able to see it from the other side, I think they're of a similar difficulty, though mine's way longer.

BooJoh

Is difficulty not supposed to ramp up the further you get in a level?
Typically yes, but your typical level gives the player a breather once in a while, and unfortunately Nintendo neglected to put in checkpoints, so dying means starting over from the beginning and not knowing how much worse it'll get difficulty-wise. That's why people seem to skip levels after a few deaths.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
Reposting this from two pages back since I'd love some more feedback (especially on what I'm doing wrong) on my newest course.

WVW69iZFbeg_QPxwTI

It's not really perfect and it'll probably take quite a few tries to beat since it has some trial and error involved but I did my best to not make it feel too cheap and to avoid being excessive in terms of throwing shit at you just for the sake of it.

Almost exactly in the sections boojoh mentioned, I actually reached Bowser but wasted the switch and ended up dying.

I actually think you and me may share some designing philosophy problems. Like, I know that last part is not complicated at all, but the fact that you gotta go through so many obstacles before you get there makes it feel a lot harder and having to replay the whole level, even if it's short, just because you did an intuitive action (and one that you've been doing since the start of the level) and got punished for it is not enjoyable.

Enjoyed everything else, even though it did kill me a lot lol

You may want to check out the level I just posted so you're able to see it from the other side, I think they're of a similar difficulty, though mine's way longer.
Beat in on my first attempt. Loved it.

VandalD

For what it's worth, I beat it first try. If you're being unfair here, I didn't notice. I almost died falling off of the firebars, but managed to recover with some wall jumps and air stalls. Would've been completely my fault anyway. Nice level.

How many Stars do you need to be allowed to upload more levels? I have 31, but it doesn't seem to be enough.
I think every 50 gets you 10

Which is ridiculous. It's honestly making me play the game less because I can no longer upload stages without deleting some first.

The increase requires too many stars. I should be lowered to 20.

While making an underwater level, it struck me: we can't make pipes which push Mario away in one direction (you know, pipes which eject bubbles)? :'(

I've been working on an underwater level too and I know what you mean.
It could open up so many possibilities.

Hoping for DLC or update.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
Typically yes, but your typical level gives the player a breather once in a while, and unfortunately Nintendo neglected to put in checkpoints, so dying means starting over from the beginning and not knowing how much worse it'll get difficulty-wise. That's why people seem to skip levels after a few deaths.
Yep. I'd definitely put checkpoints in my levels. It's a huge omission. Arguably the biggest one actually. Makes it so much harder to make challenging stages especially of a decent length without frustrating people.

KingBroly

Banned
I think every 50 gets you 10

Which is ridiculous. It's honestly making me play the game less because I can no longer upload stages without deleting some first.

The increase requires too many stars. I should be lowered to 20.

I was thinking 25-30 every 10 levels would be decent. Sigh...19 to go to level 2 >_<

The problem is that people don't usually leave Stars. Commenting results in auto-starring a level, though.

I wonder if we can come up with a shortcut system in place of checkpoints.

Something like a door that allows access to the second half of the level but you can only access it if you get some sort of information from the halfway point...

10 People play my stage...none of them star it...

...stingy!

I put hours into my recent courses and they have hardly any plays/stars. By contrast, my 10 year old was on this at the weekend when I was watching football and he uploaded a course 'Random Pipe Spiter' (sic, because it's supposed to be 'Spitter' but he spelled it wrongly). It is a very short level where both the floor and ceiling are pipes and spit out random shit. It has several stars and dozens of plays. Gutted!

So is it against the ToS to create some levels and offer a 50$ eShop giftcard rewards to whoever can crack the overall 'theme' or 'mystery'? I used to do this in some MMO forums back in the day just for fun to build hype. Mainly in City of Heroes map creator.

I love doing shit like that. This is getting my creative juices flowing.

I wonder if we can come up with a shortcut system in place of checkpoints.

Something like a door that allows access to the second half of the level but you can only access it if you get some sort of information from the halfway point...

Been having thoughts about this too and I don't think it's possible.
You could make doors and pipes where all of them but one leads to your death.

But someone could just try them all out until they find the right one.
It would be great of you could put some randomness in doors.

I put hours into my recent courses and they have hardly any plays/stars. By contrast, my 10 year old was on this at the weekend when I was watching football and he uploaded a course 'Random Pipe Spiter' (sic, because it's supposed to be 'Spitter' but he spelled it wrongly). It is a very short level where both the floor and ceiling are pipes and spit out random shit. It has several stars and dozens of plays. Gutted!
I get that my easy boring Levels got way more plays than Any of my actually thought out Levels :/ Hope GAF will help get some more Plays And Maybe Even Stars :)

I think I might make a random easy level with loads of goofy crap that is impossible to die on.

Having said that, it is much easier to make a good level that is hard than it is to make a fun, easy, level.

Hasney

I might be done with this once I get PES and until I'm done with Fallout/possibly Battlefront. Right now, most the levels out there are shit and when you see the top starred ones, it's like DON'T TOUCH ANYTHING and yeah, it's cute once, but I actually want to play.

Then discover-ability is really hard. Even posting somewhere like here, it gets buried in reposts so you're lucky to get one or two plays. If they patch it, or I suddenly get an idea, I might be back. But until the kids get bored, I'm not having much of a desire to play.

cyba89

I'm trying to make a SMW ghost house and that's definitely the tileset where I miss the most elements.
It's hard to create something twisted and confusing when you don't have P-Block doors, stairs, moving gaps or these group of ghosts at the top who attack you.

I might be done with this once I get PES and until I'm done with Fallout/possibly Battlefront. Right now, most the levels out there are shit and when you see the top starred ones, it's like DON'T TOUCH ANYTHING and yeah, it's cute once, but I actually want to play.

Then discover-ability is really hard. Even posting somewhere like here, it gets buried in reposts so you're lucky to get one or two plays. If they patch it, or I suddenly get an idea, I might be back. But until the kids get bored, I'm not having much of a desire to play.

Agree. Game is very addicitive but I've spent like 90% of my time building levels.
You place them online and then you only get a few plays.

There is way too many crap out there and the amount of levels being made is ridiculuous.
I think it will do better when the game is a few months to a year old.

And we really really need some decent filters from Nintendo.

Painguy

Oh for crying out loud! The level I uploaded last night only had 3 people try it, with only an average of 2 attempts per player with no wins. There is nothing unfair in this stage that should make people give up that quickly. Please give my level a go guys.

0E3C-0000-003F-227D

I beat your level.

kKlR8CJ.jpg

Tbh I'm not surprised that many people had trouble with your level.

My issue was that im unfamiliar with the layout of your level so I traversed it with a bit of hesitation. The P blocks certainly didn't help the situation. I also wasn't really given an indication of what was to come next so it was difficult to adapt with all previous stuff I mentioned. I had to memorize the level to a certain degree so I could get through it at a decent enough pace. I tried it about 40 times before I could beat it. I had to face against Bowser 3 times before I realized I had to wait for him to get in the right spot then press the button. I was in such a rush because of the overall pace of the level that I didn't really register that I had time to chill and deal with Bowser more strategically. In between those 3 times with bowser I was struggling to not fall off the block on the rail. Most other people won't want to have to memorize a level to beat it. The level was fun, but from a game design 101 perspective it was lacking.

ZeroX03

Banned

WVW69iZFbeg_QPxwTI

Okay stage but you definitely want to cut down on the surprises, like the Lakitu or Thowmp you jump into and would have no idea to avoid unless you'd played that section before.

Also the flying section isn't worth trusting the coins with! You can just back up and go the lower route with no risk of getting hit.

(mat)

Woooo! I earned a 2nd medal for having 50 stars! And it's all thanks to my one level with over 42 of them. :')

VandalD

It's nice playing GAF levels at this time, when the thread moves at a far more reasonable pace. Played something around 18 of the levels posted here and I think I at least commented here on all of them. Mario Challenge can be dumb, but GAF levels are good stuff. Need to stop for now though.

I'm trying to make a SMW ghost house and that's definitely the tileset where I miss the most elements.
It's hard to create something twisted and confusing when you don't have P-Block doors, stairs or moving gaps.
I had the same problem making my ghost house. No p-block doors, no stairs, no moving gaps, no weird searchlights to spin jump off of, no boos that turn into blocks, no coins that only appear while p-switched, no fake walls, no dynamic lighting, limited moving platforms.. ghost houses definitely suffer the most from the limitations, IMO. Maybe you'd get some inspiration from the one I posted earlier.

Just a reminder that Part 2 of my videos of Super Mario Maker is here for those who are waking up on the other side of the gaming world.

I am thinking of a shorter Part 3 and tell me if you want this to happen or not.

Part 2 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ARb0BpFrxFk

Yeah, I think if you do a part 3 it should be shorter and probably stick to one level per person.

It'd be cool seeing a video taking all of the community submissions so far for the contest and going through them. Surely those aren't very long or difficult.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
First area feels a bit bland - I know it's only to hold the pipe(s), but it still should have a little bit more flair. After that I take the first donut down and get to the mushroom area and (another visual nitpick), nothing below the pipe doesn't look very pretty.

I reached the underwater area and my first suggestion is to avoid 2-block gaps in the walls. It's really kinda difficult to swim through as big Mario. With the fire flower I killed the spiny (I suppose that's the spiny helmet but I couldn't put it on my head, and throwing it up would make it land with the spikes towards me).

Checkpoint was a terrific idea but then the exit pipe towards the end of the level was there and I didn't find Yoshi yet. (I think it'd be better if you made it obligatory having Yoshi - or at least tie some of the puzzle segments to most of the level). That did intrigue me so I started over looking for invisible blocks and such. Using the Koopa Shell to get the feather was pretty great.

But I was stuck (I am a bit bad in Mario, there's that, but the average player is more) after that - didn't find any obvious places to fly (and testing the spiky helmet that was mentioned made me lose the cape before testing that right by the goal, and there are no refills from what I could see, which would force me to restart the level to find Yoshi). If the Spiky Helmet you mentioned is not the one in the underwater area (it seems a bit complex to be) then I'd remove the Spiny near the P-Switch Pipe entirely as it doesn't seem to serve any purpose.

Despite all that, though, from what I could play, it was still a really solid puzzle in its segments and I had a lot of fun - there's just some points that can be a bit misleading for players that just discovered the Spiny Helmet mechanic (or those who saw there was something regarding that) and I think you need to tie the goal of Finding Yoshi more towards the level itself, otherwise half of it (and from what I could tell, an even better half) is hidden outside the main path with really no obvious reward.

Hey, thanks for such detailed feedback.

The couple of reasons I keep Yoshi optional in these; I want the path to finding Yoshi to be fairly well hidden. Not with random out of the way hidden ? blocks, but tough to find. I don't want players to get frustrated with that and make it a requirement if they just want to beat the course. Yoshi is like a hard to find Star / Coin in other Mario games. The second point is there are a limited number of ways to truly make Yoshi a requirement (ie; players not being asked to brute force through), and while I could add a little variety to things like spikey stair cases and thwomp floors, it'd limit my design options.

Regarding the secret 'intended' Yoshi path (yes, I intentionally left it open so people could discover it via cape too)..
.. the pipe spouting out P switches is actually a warp pipe. Quite a few people missed that, so I may need to make it a bit more obvious. Going through it gives you access to the spinet helm, allowing you to bust through the blocked pipe in the 'checkpoint' room

Hope that makes sense. Please give it another go if you're interested in seeing it in action.

Sapiens

People seem to like Deep Dank Action - it's an easy level I made, please check it out:

(61F6-0000-002F-05DC)

WVW69iYh8H8rquk9Nl

Also, another one of my well likes ones, Bowser's Big Bath House

(9B53-0000-0024-4D20)

WVW69iYPbWMNLFQE1N

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
I beat your level.

kKlR8CJ.jpg

My issue was that im unfamiliar with the layout of your level so I traversed it with a bit of hesitation. The P blocks certainly didn't help the situation. I also wasn't really given an indication of what was to come next so it was difficult to adapt with all previous stuff I mentioned. I had to memorize the level to a certain degree so I could get through it at a decent enough pace. I tried it about 40 times before I could beat it. I had to face against Bowser 3 times before I realized I had to wait for him to get in the right spot then press the button. I was in such a rush because of the overall pace of the level that I didn't really register that I had time to chill and deal with Bowser more strategically. In between those 3 times with bowser I was struggling to not fall off the block on the rail. Most other people won't want to have to memorize a level to beat it. The level was fun, but from a game design 101 perspective it was lacking.
Yeah I don't get this. I feel like I gave the player a good view of all enemies and obstacles as you run. I don't understand what required memorization. You're the second person to say that and I'm really confused.

I get the bowser part though.

Hasney

Agree. Game is very addicitive but I've spent like 90% of my time building levels.

There is way too many crap out there and the amount of levels being made is ridiculuous.

Yup!

I'll be back for the community contest actually anyway, I like the idea of playing a lot of courses around an actual Mario theme so I'm down for that.

Woooo! I earned a 2nd medal for having 50 stars! And it's all thanks to my one level with over 42 of them. :')
I figured it was at 50 stars. I am close with 46 total.
Would love a bigger limit so I can have 5 levels just for stars, ha ha.

Edit: 20 for 50 stars and 30 for 150 stars huh?
Curious what the number 1 guy can upload, he has like 12 medals.

Nohar

One thing to avoid while making levels (unless someone is doing this on purpose ~ you sick rascal) is the Trial-and-Error Gameplay (ie. mostly traps that the player couldn't have anticipated). I prefer "Hard but fair" challenges (in which the player knows it is his own fault if he dies) to "Hard, unfair and sadistic" challenges (aka. "everything is trying to kill you and the game is almost unwinnable").

Now, some games like I Wanna Be The Guy are fun because of such challenges. Not my cup of tea, but I do understand the appeal. Sadly, the lack of checkpoints makes those kind of levels downright tedious. If checkpoints were available, it could add something to balance the unfair factor.

trix35

Neo Member
Made my first level today, it's pretty easy, really simple and short with 3 1-ups to collect. The ID is 8699-0000-0041-47E4 and it's called Speed Street.

This game is pretty fun and addictive but it's going to take me a while to make interesting levels for sure, definitely nowhere near some of the creativity I'm seeing on here for sure. I'm way more of a player than creator though.

One thing to avoid while making levels (unless someone is doing this on purpose ~ you sick rascal) is the Trial-and-Error Gameplay (ie. mostly traps that the player couldn't have anticipated). I prefer "Hard but fair" challenges (in which the player knows it is his own fault if he dies) to "Hard, unfair and sadistic" challenges (aka. "everything is trying to kill you and the game is almost unwinnable").
I think my main issue with Trial and Error is that you only get one shot or you are done.
Many challenge Romhacks were smart enough to put reset doors/pipes when building these and that is what I plan to do with mine in which might be hard to get right on your first try.

For example: I played one of ProtonJon's levels and it had interesting ideas but it took so long to restart if I made a mistake (mostly at the koopa shell part since if you put them in a block they don't reset). It is such a simple fix to not put the Koopa in a block so that I could go in and out of the door if I screwed up. Plus the invisible block section was obnoxious.

ZeroX03

Banned
I beat your level.

kKlR8CJ.jpg

Yeah I don't get this. I feel like I gave the player a good view of all enemies and obstacles as you run. I don't understand what required memorization. You're the second person to say that and I'm really confused.

I get the bowser part though.

Played the stage. His critique is accurate. P Blocks make people rush. And that's especially bad in a OHKO level. IIRC they're mostly left for optional stuff in Mario games for this reason. That's why auto scrolling is generally the preferred option for momentum style levels.

Rizzi

One more for the night. I finally unlocked the third tool set too. Yay!
WVW69iZH3sohmGPcCC

Escape From the Underground!

CCF4-0000-0041-62AC

Something to keep in mind when you look at your completion rate - the percentage is not the number of people who completed it, but the total number of lives spent in it.

A 20% rate of completion means that on average there were 4 deaths for every 1 win. Maybe most people gave it 5 lives, or maybe 40% of the people abandoned it after one death, and the rest died twice and then won! Or maybe 60% of people abandoned after one death, but if they'd given it one more try like the rest then they would've won.

I think it's likely that a lot of people skip after one death.

Thing is, it's quite hard to filter, because quality isn't as tangible as say, number of deaths or length of course. They should definitely look at (if they don't already) recording and using the number of times a course has been skipped and even how far into it the course has been skipped. This could omit some generally difficult but good courses but may well remove the crap. Problem is, genuine platform fans want a challenge. Kids want a quick hit of mayhem. Maybe even some form of moderation is required!

Example:
I started a 100 mario challenge 'Hard' run last night. I played 25 courses roughly and I am on course 2. I skipped 24 because they were either a) Stupidly hard, b) Just random as to whether you succeed c) out of nowhere insta-kills d) trolls e) just not fun in fact the opposite.

I played amongst other things:

1) A course where it was a ton of question blocks and you had to slowly crouch jump amongst them to get to the end. I progressed half a screen and thought 'Fuck this'.

2) A level where a door led to insta-death-fall.

3) A level which was called something like '50 Cent goes on vacation' and it was literally like a fire plant going along a track with a hidden block somewhere (I assume) that made you invincible else it was impossible.

4) An underwater level where the objective seemed to be to fit as many squid/cheeps as possible on the screen.

5) A level where it was 3 bowsers stacked and a ton of Koopas.

etc.

Thank god for GAF and levels made by people who actually think about how something should be laid out / played.

Top Bottom