• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Maker |OT| Miyamoto Simulator 2015

boxter432

Anybody held down on a mario 3 white block? after a while Mario shakes a little and there is a little noise (about the time you would drop into the backround in the real game). just a little easter egg type thing.

xandaca

I've been wondering about this. I generally try and beat my levels without power-ups before submitting them and none seem especially hard to me (only Bowser's Airborne Artillery toes the line, but that's more - IMO - for being long than presenting any challenges above what is in your average 'tough' Mario level), but my completion rates are very low and they don't get played much, leading me to believe something is amiss.

Is this game making people finally realize NSMBU is actually a really nice looking game with very detailed and nice looking backgrounds?

Because I remember always seeing people talk about how the NSMB games all have the same graphics and are all ugly, and yet this game really flies in the face of it, as the NSMBU theme is gorgeous with great lighting, colorful, detailed backgrounds, and great looking stage elements.

I think NSMB2 came out too close to U and people sort of blend them in their minds. 2 is basically "how much can we recycle from Wii before people notice" while U actually redid every theme and music from Wii into an entirely new style.

People don't give NSMBU enough credit for being a pretty game.

I've been wondering about this. I generally try and beat my levels without power-ups before submitting them and none seem especially hard to me (only Bowser's Airborne Artillery toes the line, but that's more - IMO - for being long than presenting any challenges above what is in your average 'tough' Mario level), but my completion rates are very low and they don't get played much, leading me to believe something is amiss.

Always add powerups. Add far more powerups than you think you need. No checkpoints or carrying over of powerups between stages makes lots of powerups very important.

Hasney

I still rarely use NSMBU. I don't like the music and think sometimes the foreground can blend into the background, which doesn't happen in the main games, but sometimes does in this on the castle levels.

Yeah, it's pretty, but I've got Mario World man.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
I know what you've all been longing for...

MATH!!!

WVW69iZEZM0Q8Rs1XL

Do the Math
2CB4-0000-0041-C3AE

[Edit] The end was messed up!!! Fixed now.

Reposting for the AM crowd. Just a silly little thing really, inspired somewhat by the 1up bonus rooms in Mario World.

xandaca

Is this game making people finally realize NSMBU is actually a really nice looking game with very detailed and nice looking backgrounds?

Because I remember always seeing people talk about how the NSMB games all have the same graphics and are all ugly, and yet this game really flies in the face of it, as the NSMBU theme is gorgeous with great lighting, colorful, detailed backgrounds, and great looking stage elements.

I think NSMB2 came out too close to U and people sort of blend them in their minds. 2 is basically "how much can we recycle from Wii before people notice" while U actually redid every theme and music from Wii into an entirely new style.

People don't give NSMBU enough credit for being a pretty game.

Always add powerups. Add far more powerups than you think you need. No checkpoints or carrying over of powerups between stages makes lots of powerups very important.

Oh, I do that. I'll probably add one more to my Mario Arcade level, as I realised there's one which is actually visible - there are two hidden ones, one of which should be fairly obvious but you can probably never rely on players taking hints. The only person to finish the level so far didn't even collect the starman from the question block in the final section, even though it's right in front of the pipe you emerge from. My strategy generally has been to provide plenty of mushrooms, but make fire flowers a little rarer and harder to find or get, as they're much more useful.

Schlomo

I still don't like the New Super Mario Bros. U style at all. Aesthetically, it sticks out like a sore thumb among the wonderful pixel art of the older games.

shameless reposting my level from earlier
Wii_U_screenshot_TV_018_DD.jpg

I tired to make a traditional mario so theres some serects and fun stuff, alongside platforming challenges
I'm pretty pleased with it for the most part, I just wish i had more room to work with

my other levels if your so inclined

Why You Don't Eat and Swim
(EF45-0000-003C-D4CC)
My first attempt at an underwater level, I think its alright

Hold Jump To Bounce off Enemies!
(56D5-0000-0034-56CF)
I tired making a level where the player almost never touches the ground and instead wall jumps and bounces there way to the end

Flamin' Walls? Follow The Coins!
(A9A4-0000-0019-2255)
Lots and lots of wall jumping basically.

Any and all feedback is greatly appreciated thanks.

Coppanuva

Finished up this level last night. It's my first one with a subscreen, themed like a toadstool aboveground level then a more classic underground feeling one after. I bring you:

Fungus Amongus: D748-0000-0040-5DFF

Nohar

I'm still making levels for a family member, hoping that they will like them. It has been a while since they played a Mario game, so I'm sticking to very simple ideas and designs before introducing harder challenges (I may have to make a jump easier for one level now that I think about it). I'm trying to make levels with a similar progression to what one could expect from a classic Mario game. It is also interesting to replay a few SMB3 levels and see that almost none of them require the player to actually run to get past obstacles.

If you want to take a look, here they are (all SMB3 levels, 2 ground level, 1 underwater, all very easy):
  • Level "1-1 Difficulty: ★☆☆☆☆":315C-0000-003E-363A
  • Level "1-2 Difficulty: ★☆☆☆☆":EC10-0000-003E-FEC1
  • Level "1-3 Difficulty: ★☆☆☆☆":BD2B-0000-0041-DAEC

Little list of changes I would like added to the game:
  • One nice addition to SMM would be to add the Boomerang bros (from SMB3). The current Hammer bros don't have an alternate form, and it would be a perfect fit for them (not to mention they are far easier to deal with than the Hammer bros).
  • Another nice change would be to be able to make 2x2 "background" blocks. Right now their minimal size is 3x3, preventing some creative opportunities.
  • I already mentioned it earlier, but for underwater levels it would be great if we could make pipes which push away the player with their bubbles.
  • Checkpoints: some longer levels really could use them, and alleviate some frustration from dying.
  • Slopes of course.
  • Be able to put some Water in some above the ground levels.

Linkyn

I really wish you could flag player-created courses so they're not shuffled into the 100 Mario challenges. I just wasted close to 80 lives on a single stage with a gimmick that forced me to commit suicide through half an hour of trial and error.

xandaca

I still don't like the New Super Mario Bros. U style at all. Aesthetically, it sticks out like a sore thumb among the wonderful pixel art of the older games.

To be honest, Mario 3 is my least favourite of the four options. As much as I adore the original game, its visuals sit between those of the iconic SMB and the richer, bolder colours of SMW. NSMBU is bland, but you can make some nice looking stages with a bit of effort. SMB3 occupies that uncomfortable middle ground between the iconic original and not being as vibrant as the games that followed. It's certainly not without its charm, but I'll personally always default to one of the other options unless I have a reason not to.

Hasney

I really wish you could flag player-created courses so they're not shuffled into the 100 Mario challenges. I just wasted close to 80 lives on a single stage with a gimmick that forced me to commit suicide through half an hour of trial and error.

On normal, just had 4 NSMBU underwater levels. Whyyyyyy.

ramparter

Banned
Can't say I agree, I am really get used to it and I loved both NSMBU and SLU which incidentally I finished last night - main game.

I find SMB3 style to be a little bland. Mostly just flat backgrounds and the tiles aren't terribly interesting. A lot of the semi-solid platforms, which are usually interesting, are just minor recolors or slightly tweaked angles. It has an inconsistently colored Fire Mario sprite as well, compared to the other three games.

I didn't get to play SMB3 until well into my life, while I grew up with Super Mario Bros DX and Super Mario World Advance.

I don't run into many SMB3 stages at all (compared to the other three themes), so I guess maybe I'm not alone. I've never actually seen a SMB3 ghost house in the wild yet. But it has the weakest ghost house music in a game with some amazing ghost house music, so that might be why.

To be honest, Mario 3 is my least favourite of the four options. As much as I adore the original game, its visuals sit between those of the iconic SMB and the richer, bolder colours of SMW. NSMBU is bland, but you can make some nice looking stages with a bit of effort. SMB3 occupies that uncomfortable middle ground between the iconic original and not being as vibrant as the games that followed. It's certainly not without its charm, but I'll personally always default to one of the other options unless I have a reason not to.

Yep. If I want retro charm, I use SMB, if I want more detailed sprites, I go with World. SMB3 is awkwardly in the middle, with attempts at detailed sprites that aren't really detailed, and fairly basic looking backgrounds.

Whenever I get those levels I just skip. No big deal.

boxter432

err...just skip it...

Finished up this level last night. It's my first one with a subscreen, themed like a toadstool aboveground level then a more classic underground feeling one after. I bring you:

Fungus Amongus: D748-0000-0040-5DFF

This was great fun, some nice pacing and variety. You did overdo the coin trails abit though they weren't some much a guiding hand as telling me exactly how to jump

Stared it.

Zalman

Eh, I don't know. It looks good to me. Aesthetically, I don't think there was anything wrong with the New games. The musical style is kind of bland though.

Knowing when to skip is half the battle. Some I just take one look at and skip, some I give them a chance and regret it. It's making me think more about my own levels.

1. They should start off easy
2. No ambushes
3. It's OK to be hard as long as the player can see what he has to do and it doesn't require to react instantly to an close to impossible challenge.

I fucking hate the ones where you can get stuck after a period of hard toil or you get an optional path that leads to certain death.

There are a lot of decent levels though.

xandaca

By the way, I'm curious to know everyone's approach to starring levels. My thought is that I star everything which isn't trolling or kaizo, or at the very least show sign of some effort and thought having been put in even if I wasn't all that mad about the end product. Given it takes such a large number of stars to be able to upload more courses, it seems only fair to me that stars are more for intention than execution. On the other hand, good levels I've gone through that have been played loads of times only have a few stars. Is GAF generally more discerning about who it hands out its stars to, or take my 'A for effort' approach?

In any case, hopefully I'll hopefully have some time to play other GAFers levels either tonight or tomorrow, so will make selections from courses succeeding this post.

ZeroX03

Banned
NSMBU wasn't designed to be so gridlike I think, that's why it feels so off in Mario Maker. What feels tight and quaint in sprites feels barren in 3D.

NSMBU itself is fantastic visually.

Coppanuva

This was great fun, some nice pacing and variety. You did overdo the coin trails abit though they weren't some much a guiding hand as telling me exactly how to jump

Stared it.

Ahh noted, yeah I need to learn more about how to avoid the common trails. I guess I was designing it as a 1-3 type difficulty, some tricky jumps but not impossible. There's a few things I wanna change having played it this morning too (the moving platforms underground is kinda tough and requires a precise jump due to the height, I also intended that little cave in the underground segment to be a shortcut if you're tiny but I don't think you can get in it easily enough).

Sephzilla

NSMBU wasn't designed to be so gridlike I think, that's why it feels so off in Mario Maker. What feels tight and quaint in sprites feels barren in 3D.

NSMBU itself is fantastic visually.

I think a lack of slopes hurts NMSBU the most, at least cosmetically.

DeathoftheEndless

Crashing this plane... with no survivors!
I gave this a whirl, pretty neat level.
There was some decent ideas that was well expanded upon

My only issues was that it's a bit too long and the central premise starts to wear out its welcome, it would work better it the level was more condensed. Some brief down time wouldn't go amiss as well.

Well done

Yeah, it probably is a little too long. It was originally only going to be two sections, but I had the idea for the third, which is my favorite part.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I like the NSMB style.

If anything, I wish the main NSMB theme that was in three of the four titles was available.

I think a lack of slopes hurts NMSBU the most, at least cosmetically.

NMBU also generally includes one new visual element or enemy per stage, so being restricted to only certain materials and enemies hurts it the most.

The entire cast of SMB enemies are in Mario Maker, while only a fraction of them are in for NSMBU.

The MM Piranha Plants for the NSMBU style also look bad. In the NSMB series, Piranha Plants out of pipes sit and chomp around, and for me it's a little jarring they don't. They also look extremely odd when they have wings attached, like the sprite just abruptly cuts off at the bottom. It should have been rounded a bit, or added some tiny roots. They also seem kind of small, probably because the other games have smaller plants.

RyType

I've spent hours just messing around in the Course maker trying to think of fun levels to make- I want to try and make more levels that feel like actual an actual Mario level. Even went back and played through Super Mario World and Super Mario Bros. U for inspiration and kinda appreciated just how good the level design in U feels.

100 Mario challenge is still awful. I've had at least ten or so levels where you can die literally at the start of the level

MAD Polo

Neo Member
For a first attempt, that was pretty good. It took an idea and built and expanded upon it pretty well.

I do have some issues though.
Making it so the player can die almost instantly at the beginning if they don't react fast enough, is seriously obnoxious.
There's quite a few blind jumps, try throwing some coins down to show the intended routes do
And the amiibo Mario thing was mostly just fiddly to do

Still, as far as first attempts go, this is one of the better ones

Right on, I appreciate the feedback. I am a fan of blind jumps, but I definitely see where some coins would go a long ways to help those that aren't.

The Amiibo Mario was most definitely a fiddly thing. I just had it in my head that I wanted to use it. Again though, I appreciate you giving it a go!

ZeroX03

Banned
I'm disliking the Cape Feather and Propeller Mushroom. They give the player too much power and it's hard to design stages around them with MM's limitations. I've been sticking to the Fire Flower, although that makes enemies as obstacles harder to implement.

Never been much of a level designer, but I'm still thinking of getting this. I have some questions!

1) Is there a limit to how many levels you can play? Are there restrictions of any kind or can you literally browse through the entire catalogue of levels?

2) Do levels expire? Or are the codes in this thread good indefinitely until the user stops sharing or deletes

3) Is there a "recently played" or favorites list?

4) For levels that you play without downloading, does the game save your clear times?

cyba89

By the way, I'm curious to know everyone's approach to starring levels. My thought is that I star everything which isn't trolling or kaizo, or at the very least show sign of some effort and thought having been put in even if I wasn't all that mad about the end product.

Yes, I also star almost everything where the creator put some effort into designing an actual fun and fair course.

Right on, I appreciate the feedback. I am a fan of blind jumps, but I definitely see where some coins would go a long ways to help those that aren't.

The Amiibo Mario was most definitely a fiddly thing. I just had it in my head that I wanted to use it. Again though, I appreciate you giving it a go!

I can see the appeal of the player making a blind jump into the unknown but I feel it works better when the danger is mostly imagined, making a blind jump and dying can be frustrating and that happened at least once whilst I played your level, I think just after the Wario mushroom was the worst offender.

I made a document with some Mario Maker level creation advice. :) At least for when it comes to making Nintendo-like levels. This thread moves so fast that it's tough to discuss this sort of thing for any length of time, so I compiled everything I wanted to talk about together as well as I could.

I was thinking about posting it to reddit. What do you guys think? I don't know if it's like...the best advice, or if it's all self-evident anyway.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1UlNypUJjzr1q36SHkGIGa8L5hwGnRTdC5DXf4o5wdEY/edit?usp=sharing

The opening comic is the single greatest piece of advice I can offer:

BmX8MM5.png

LocalE

Finally got around to trying a few of the levels in this thread. Good stuff. Some of the courses I completed and starred, are:

Light and Shadow
Wario's Gold Rush
Frozen Ocean
Little Pikmin Adventure (Those first 4 are by Robin)
Tonight I dine on Turtle Soup (Parish)
Ruined Castle Romp (TEC)
Pipe-opolis (Sporky)
Cave Climbers (McNum)
Thwomper Stomper (TOM)
Spiketop Stronghold Scamper (Alan)

Lots of fun and pretty much the best levels I have played since getting this awesome freakin game.

I could use some feedback on some of my levels , if anyone wants to try them and feels they're worth commenting on. I want to improve them, so let me know what you think would make them better.

In the air today
ID: A243-0000-0037-CB72

Spelunking?
ID: 571A-0000-0026-2E43

Doors 'n Pipes
ID: CED7-0000-0038-D34B

Thanks in advance to anyone who takes the time to play and comment on these. I'll be checking back in this thread regularly to get more new courses to play and hopefully some helpful feedback.

Nohar

I made a document with some Mario Maker level creation advice. :) At least for when it comes to making Nintendo-like levels. This thread moves so fast that it's tough to discuss this sort of thing for any length of time, so I compiled everything I wanted to talk about together as well as I could.

I was thinking about posting it to reddit. What do you guys think? I don't know if it's like...the best advice, or if it's all self-evident anyway.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1UlNypUJjzr1q36SHkGIGa8L5hwGnRTdC5DXf4o5wdEY/edit?usp=sharing

Very interesting document, thank you for sharing it!

The opening comic is the single greatest piece of advice I can offer:

BmX8MM5.png

Great summary, though like you said lot of it is self-evident. But it really helps to see it written down and summarized, work like this helps (I hope) the SMM community to create more than just gimmicky levels that are sooooo prevalent right now.

xglaurungx88

Neo Member
King Boo's Castle (REVISED)
F9B2-0000-0042-0A39

WVW69iZJj_s8Q8LPIv

Did a couple revisions and changed the back half of the level to be more Ghost House-ish. Let me know what you think.

Pretty cool so far and easy to use, I guess there will be DLC to add in more / missing content later on but there is a lot to play with so should keep me busy for a while.

I wonder if there's a way to unlock Mario Bros 3's updated graphics or if they will add it to the theme selector with DLC, as I totally forgot Mario 3 looked like that when it first came out.

Hasney

In the air today
ID: A243-0000-0037-CB72

I forgot that spin jumping was a thing in this... once I remembered that it was challenging and I like most of the level. Starred it, had a blast as it never felt unfair apart from one part... might be a personal thing, but I'm not a fan of requiring a powerup to go through when there's an enemy there that can take it from you, but that's nitpicking

Spelunking?
ID: 571A-0000-0026-2E43

This one was pretty straightforward comparatively, no real feedback here, liked the design. wondered WTF was going on with the sound effect at the start

Doors 'n Pipes
ID: CED7-0000-0038-D34B

Not a fan of this one, ended up quitting pretty early on. The drybones doesn't come out of the cannon quick enough to make it obvious that's what you bounce on and the spiked shell would wipe it out if you just put one there. Then bouncing over the spikes after ice and having to wait for the bob-omb to fly over and unlock the door while a rage cannon fires other bob-ombs at the speed of light feels unfair because the screen is too high so you can't even see where it's going to land. Some creative platforming there, just not something Mario enough for me!

Played them all and left feedback in bold. Had some fun with the first two!

Top Bottom