• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Maker |OT| Miyamoto Simulator 2015

Made my second course! Thought I'd go for a "Lost Levels" type vibe with my next stage. Not as sadistic as Lost Levels, but a bit tough, some puzzle platforming in parts, but I like to think it's at least fair.

Course ID: CA6A-0000-0012-5233 (1-2 Bullet Bill Moat)

Feedback's welcome, I need it!

One small issue I haven't found my way round yet - is there a way to have the game scroll up faster? I've come across a couple of issues where I place enemies slightly higher on a level (Lakitu for example) but I don't want it unfair in the sense you can't fully see the enemy on screen (I'm trying to avoid having cheap off screen enemy attacks).
Also, for levels where I set floating platforms scrolling vertically and it seems the game doesn't scroll fast enough to my liking... Or am I just being a bit to picky?

Its a bloody awesome level creator though, I'm taking my time playing bits of my levels bit by bit to try and get the flow of the levels right. I'm really tempted to do the clock trick so that I can unlock a few extra of the enemies/items/features that I'd really like to implement in my levels.

So I was gonna buy through the e-shop but some reason I couldn't which left me to buy through Amazon so it's probably only going to arrive in the 14th, dammit =/.

Well, at least it was cheaper.

Cindro

I badly wanted the American version to come with the Amiibo because I know how hard those things are to find by themselves. Assholes are going to buy the 8 bit mario amiibo without buying the game I just know it. freakin flippers
Wait - America isn't getting a SKU with the 8-bit amiibo included? What the hell? I was going to get up early to go buy the amiibo version tomorrow morning!

KooopaKid

Banned
My first level: Super Kooopa World 1-1. Hope you like it!

Code: D2E3-0000-0012-5321

Should be quite fair but not too easy and with a small twist at the end.

PSqueak

Banned
Sigh, i plead to the clerk, but he wouldn't budge, have to wait for tomorrow to pick up my copy and 8bit mario amiibo, im so envious of y'all folk with the game already.

KaYotiX

Banned
Fuck this game........it makes me want to buy a Wii U again. Sold my Wii U last year.

Was watching streams......it looks sooooo good!

King_Moc

Banned
When you unlock new stuff, there is a demo course to show you some of what you unlocked.
You can replay it anytime in the robot thing, there is a button to play on-disc levels so it should be there.

Figured it out now. You have to use every new item before it can unlock. I'd not used the invincibility star.

BRKsEDU

Neo Member
tried that

whenever i launch the game it says preparing download...but when i check download management it shows nothing

Same thing here. I guess it's related to our version of the game. Our servers are probably not ready to let us download it. Again, just a guess. I'm in Canada if you're wondering.

Simbabbad

So, I have the game, and finished all the 10 Mario Challenge levels (most of them being short and not very good, honestly, online levels are better so far), which unlocks the NWC levels... but on the "demo levels" menu, World 1 and World 2 are still empty. How do you unlock those?
Just found the answer of my own question: those stages are the demo stages in the tutorial.

daydream

Banned
been working on a second, more elaborate level and all of sudden, i'm playing the fly game from mario paint!

or maybe that was a fever dream

chidrock

Just as a friendly reminder, these are the items, enemies, & stage themes that are NOT included in Super Mario Maker:

eDoFVeM.jpg

Thanks for the heads-up, but I'm a little bummed right now. So many things from SMW didn't make the cut, and that was one of my favorite games.

Surprised the Tanooki suit and boomerang bros didn't make the cut. I wonder if the Tanooki suit was held back because it would me too much of the boards would have to be reviewed.

clav

Thanks for the heads-up, but I'm a little bummed right now. So many things from SMW didn't make the cut, and that was one of my favorite games.

Surprised the Tanooki suit and boomerang bros didn't make the cut. I wonder if the Tanooki suit was held back because it would me too much of the boards would have to be reviewed.

Also the item power ups aren't reflective of the originals.

For instance, you can't go from Mario to Fire Mario/Raccoon Mario in the SMB1 and SMB3, but you can here. You're supposed to be Super Mario in those old games before taking on another level power up.

Wondering if I'm going to regret buying this game now.

Also that picture is hardly exhaustive, it frustrates me. :p There's a lot more left out than that.

No placing water tiles to create ponds or waterfalls in normal levels. Lots of platform types missing from Mario 1 including the "scale" ones that balance against each other, or the infinite up/down elevators from 1-2.

Wondering if I'm going to regret buying this game now.

You won't, though. There's so much to do in the game as it is, it's going to last for a long time.

Roo

So has anyone thought about a way to condense all the levels made from SMMGAF??

Belgian Dude did a nice job gathering the ones made the first pages but shit will be imposible in a few weeks.

I was thinking about making a separate post (or thread) whatever is easier and list alphabetically every single GAFfer, then, each GAFFer can create a Google Spreadsheet and share the link here with all the details to their levels

Something like this

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

OFFICIAL SUPER MARIO MAKER GAF COMMUNITY

*Click on the name to see their list of levels, yada yada*

User A
User B
User C
User D
User E

Not sure how cumbersome that would be but I guess it's easier to track down our favorite Gaffers.

Kathian

Banned
My first level;

2DCD-0000-0012-5817

Never realised how much platforms are as much about constraining enemies as anything else!

Anyway my idea here was to have something like Goombas be the visual theme but really the main mechanic is quite simple. Might try further along those lines but intrigued to see other people's experiences too.

Mik2121

For such an awesome game, the level search system is beyond awful, not to say anything about the non-existent player search system. I can't even find what my friends did unless they send me a silly 16 digit code. With a good search system and overall community infrastructure this could be even bigger than how it might be in the next weeks and months.

So has anyone thought about a way to condense all the levels made from SMMGAF??

Belgian Dude did a nice job gathering the ones made the first pages but shit will be imposible in a few weeks.

I was thinking about making a separate post (or thread) whatever is easier and list alphabetically every single GAFfer, then, each GAFFer can create a Google Spreadsheet and share the link here with all the details to their levels

Something like this

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

OFFICIAL SUPER MARIO MAKER GAF COMMUNITY

*Click on the name to see their list of levels, yada yada*

User A
User B
User C
User D
User E

Not sure how cumbersome that would be but I guess it's easier to track down our favorite Gaffers.

I'm all up for it, but instead of many docs, maybe let people add sheets? That way it's only in one link.

I definitely think it's a great idea to condense them all into one place and it should help as well if we decide to do collab sets of levels (even if we can't make overworlds).

For such an awesome game, the level search system is beyond awful, not to say anything about the non-existent player search system. I can't even find what my friends did unless they send me a silly 16 digit code. With a good search system and overall community infrastructure this could be even bigger than how it might be in the next weeks and months.
So the online system from Mario vs. DK is the same as this pretty much. That is disappointing...

I really expect to see this game get a massive update sometime next year. A 2.0 patch that "fixes" the level sharing, adds checkpoints and slopes, as well as a DLC pack for Mario 2 or something. This seems to be something Nintendo regularly does for their big Wii U titles.

Roo

I'm all up for it, but instead of many docs, maybe let people add sheets? That way it's only in one link.

I definitely think it's a great idea to condense them all into one place and it should help as well if we decide to do collab sets of levels (even if we can't make overworlds).

Yeah, it was just a general idea. Something to work with.
If people can figure out an easier way then go for it.

clav

I really expect to see this game get a massive update sometime next year. A 2.0 patch that "fixes" the level sharing, adds checkpoints and slopes, as well as a DLC pack for Mario 2 or something. This seems to be something Nintendo regularly does for their big Wii U titles.

3D World has zero updates so far.

I don't expect anything.

Probably asked a million times, so I apologize.

Does it "unlock" to play at 12 eastern if you bought it on the eShop? Got it pre-loaded, so hoping to get a little playtime before I have to go to bed. Damn work tomorrow.

They do?

All those major fixes for NSMBU, 3D World, Wind Waker HD...?

Some of their games got content, sure, but nothing fixing the underlying framework. Mario Kart 8 doesn't have voice chat except among friends. The online multi works the same as it did at launch. Battle mode still sucks.

And I think the idea of adding checkpoints and changing up sharing is pretty similar to fixing MK8's battle mode.

Mr-Joker

Banned
lolz

I'm getting really annoyed at my own level when trying to upload it :p

I know that feeling, though it did make me go back to the drawing board and stream line the levels.

But never again will I go overboard on the spring board, I suck at them.

How are so many playing this already? Isn't it out tomorrow?

Well my copy was sent out early, which is good as I would not been able to play it on Friday as I am flying out to Scotland.

clav

What problems were there for 3d world? I didn't feel like anything needed to be fixed or added, personally. I can see this game getting a lot of fixes and additional content. Much like MK8 and Splatoon.

Needed more content.

Where was the content?

daydream

Banned

honestly, i think that is way easier but you're free to put up a google doc, of course

it's also hard to judge an interesting level from a string of letters and numbers, maybe the doc could have one level from every user, just to have an id with which that user could be tracked down in course world and followed there?

i'm definitely going to start adding levels to the community showcase soon, i have at least one mind that i wanna put up there but if people have other suggestions, they should go ahead and let me know! contest winners will also end up there, of course.

Top Bottom