• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Maker |OT| Miyamoto Simulator 2015

I can see this game getting a lot of fixes and additional content. Much like MK8 and Splatoon.

Yeah, that big MK8 patch that added proper battle mode arenas and made it actually fun to play. The one everyone was clamoring for, much like adding checkpoints to Mario Maker.

Or that Splatoon patch that added in voice chat and gave us 3 levels per rotation instead of just 2. That variety that everyone wanted and swore over and over would be coming soon, because there was room in the interface for 3 levels, surely they'd patch it, just like they'll update the sharing options for Mario Maker.

Those patches?

Yeah, that big MK8 patch that added proper battle mode arenas and made it actually fun to play. The one everyone was clamoring for, much like adding checkpoints to Mario Maker.

Or that Splatoon patch that added in voice chat and gave us 3 levels per rotation instead of just 2. That variety that everyone wanted and swore over and over would be coming soon, because there was room in the interface for 3 levels, surely they'd patch it, just like they'll update the sharing options for Mario Maker.

Those patches?

Or you know, all the other updates the games actually had. You know, the ones that almost doubled the content of the games?

Those patches?

Let the consumer indignance flow through you.

chidrock

SMB3 Tanooki suit is the whole fursuit that allows you to turn into stone, Raccoon Mario is still in.

Oh yeah! Been a while since I played that lol...

Gonna miss the football guy and parachute enemies though. I had plans for them. Frog suit would've been cool too. Hope they add it later.

Also the item power ups aren't reflective of the originals.

For instance, you can't go from Mario to Fire Mario/Raccoon Mario in the SMB1 and SMB3, but you can here. You're supposed to be Super Mario in those old games before taking on another level power up.

Wondering if I'm going to regret buying this game now.
Because of the features that is not in the game so far? Considering how much is in the game, that seem a bit extreme unless you would regret it even if it had all of those features.

I really expect to see this game get a massive update sometime next year. A 2.0 patch that "fixes" the level sharing, adds checkpoints and slopes, as well as a DLC pack for Mario 2 or something. This seems to be something Nintendo regularly does for their big Wii U titles.
Possibly. Don't think checkpoints will be added, though. That is an issue about checking rather or not starting at a checkpoint will make the level unbeatable.

Needed more content.

Where was the content?
3D World had several bonus worlds, a secret character, and a lot of things to tackle per level. It definitely wasn't sparse in that area.

Or you know, all the other updates the games actually had. You know, the ones that almost doubled the content of the games?

I addressed this in my previous post, I know we've gotten content. What we haven't gotten is underlying framework changes.

Checkpoints necessitate a framework change, they're not like adding in a new enemy. Now people have to pass two checks to upload their level, one from the checkpoint as small Mario to make sure it's not impossible. Or Nintendo has to add in new options to let people start over from the beginning of the level, but then do they want to penalize people a life for that like they do now, because then you're losing 2 lives every time you cross a checkpoint and fail instead of just 1. It's not content, it's an issue of design.

Changing sharing options isn't content either, it's a factor of how they designed their level storage servers. Maybe they can't or won't store level tags. Maybe they have some terrible policy reasons why they're doing things the way they're doing, kid friendly like the rest of their design.

It's incredibly unlikely that we would see these features added, because they're less content and more core functionality, which Nintendo has a history of reluctance in updating. Even slopes are a whole new physics ballgame for all the different objects that can interact with each other.

Expect Chargin' Chucks before any of the above.

totowhoa

Banned
The digital version will be available to play at midnight PST right? I never buy digital so I'm unsure but hoping for local time release (CST here).... though I don't expect it... :( I was looking forward to playing this a bit tonight but just had that realization. Somebody mind confirming?

Cbajd5

The digital version will be available to play at midnight PST right? I never buy digital so I'm unsure but hoping for local time release (CST here).... though I don't expect it... :( I was looking forward to playing this a bit tonight but just had that realization. Somebody mind confirming?

Midnight Eastern for all NA timezones if the trend of past releases hasn't changed.

oatmeal

Banned
9PM PST
3 hours

clav

Because of the features that is not in the game so far? Considering how much is in the game, that seem a bit extreme unless you would regret it even if it had all of those features.

Possibly. Don't think checkpoints will be added, though. That is an issue about checking rather or not starting at a checkpoint will make the level unbeatable.

3D World had several bonus worlds, a secret character, and a lot of things to tackle per level. It definitely wasn't sparse in that area.

Wouldn't you be excited if Nintendo were to announce more levels for 3D World?

totowhoa

Banned
So the unlock system is different now? NO longer 9 days or whatever?

Correct. Each new tier will unlock after X amount of play with each tier. Maybe 15 minutes or less. People say it seems to be based off of items used so you can make garbage levels full of blocks to speed it up. Way better than messing with your clock

Really?

Lame. I read there was a patch on another forum that changed it. Oh well.

He's mistaken, that news just dropped today

Needed more content.

Where was the content?

What content did it need? It had a ton of levels and secrets to find. It had more than 8 world's of levels along with captain toad and other challenges to boot. It was a single player game with multi-player added to it for more fun. I think the game had the right amount of content.

Kodaman

Great OT.. but should have gone with the other title "Your god is in another castle"

Still on the fence about buying it...

daydream

Banned
uploaded my second level titled 'the other side'

level id: 1FE9-0000-0012-6130

any feedback is welcome, hope you enjoy it!

clav

What content did it need? It had a ton of levels and secrets to find. It had more than 8 world's of levels along with captain toad and other challenges to boot. It was a single player game with multi-player added to it for more fun. I think the game had the right amount of content.

That's your opinion. Personally, I think the game could have used more given the setup.

Let's not derail this topic as you're missing the point.

Nintendo does what it wants to do.

branny

The idea of checkpoints requiring a double clear makes sense, but it's probably unnecessary considering how many times I've seen people get screwed over in poorly-designed levels already. I say leave it up to the creators to shoulder that responsibility. A successful run, with or without checkpoint restarts, should still be enough for uploading IMO.

Are all the pre-made stages from E3 and early access Best Buy demo (Airship Jr. Leap of Faith ect) included on the disc and if so, are they available right away or locked?

Having some friends and family over tomorrow night to play the game, can't wait.

Hylian7

Amazon is delivering mine tomorrow, can't wait!

Also, this has probably been answered somewhere, but I thought we would ask: Did we get confirmation the physics for each style are just like the games they came from?

Are all the pre-made stages from the E3 and early access Best Buy demo (Airship Jr. Leap of Faith ect) included on the disc and if so, are they available right away or locked?

Having some friends and family over tomorrow night to play the game, can't wait.
They are in the pool of 10 Mario challenge levels. Think you can search them by filter for individual play.

Edit: 2 more hours, think I may speedrun SMW.

So, Amazon is still saying preparing to ship...I guess the chances of me actually getting this tomorrow are zilch, huh?

No offense but I'll never understand you people who want to play AAA games and systems day one so badly yet risk pointless shipping games ordering from places like Amazon instead of just going to the store occasionally.

They are in the pool of 10 Mario challenge levels. Think you can search them by filter for individual play.

Cool, thanks.

heyf00L

No offense but I'll never understand you people who want to play AAA games and systems day one badly yet risk pointless shipping games ordering from places like Amazon instead of just going to the store occasionally.
Amazon had it for $50. I'll save $10 and play a bit later. Except I'm going to work, so I won't play until tomorrow night either way.

And mine will arrive tomorrow.

robotrock

Banned
Hey, what's the deal with Amiibos? I've never bought one. I heard something like Amazon apparently is selling the cool 8-bit Mario tomorrow at 3pm PST?

Also, this has probably been answered somewhere, but I thought we would ask: Did we get confirmation the physics for each style are just like the games they came from?

Gonna try to beat RagnarokX to the punch and let you know that no, the movement physics are all based on New SMB U. However, Mario's physical abilities and power-ups still "match" each game (no cape feather in SMB3, no wall-jumping except in NSMBU, etc.).

Red Devil

One small issue I haven't found my way round yet - is there a way to have the game scroll up faster? I've come across a couple of issues where I place enemies slightly higher on a level (Lakitu for example) but I don't want it unfair in the sense you can't fully see the enemy on screen (I'm trying to avoid having cheap off screen enemy attacks).
Also, for levels where I set floating platforms scrolling vertically and it seems the game doesn't scroll fast enough to my liking... Or am I just being a bit to picky?

Its a bloody awesome level creator though, I'm taking my time playing bits of my levels bit by bit to try and get the flow of the levels right. I'm really tempted to do the clock trick so that I can unlock a few extra of the enemies/items/features that I'd really like to implement in my levels.

Yeah there're 3 scrolling speeds, but no idea if those are unlocked or what.

Thanks for the heads-up, but I'm a little bummed right now. So many things from SMW didn't make the cut, and that was one of my favorite games.

Surprised the Tanooki suit and boomerang bros didn't make the cut. I wonder if the Tanooki suit was held back because it would me too much of the boards would have to be reviewed.

Note that certain stuff can be replaced by another, for example, want a Pokey? just stack Spinys, want a Rex? just stack to enemies like a Monty Mole or a Goomba.

Also the item power ups aren't reflective of the originals.

For instance, you can't go from Mario to Fire Mario/Raccoon Mario in the SMB1 and SMB3, but you can here. You're supposed to be Super Mario in those old games before taking on another level power up.

Wondering if I'm going to regret buying this game now.

Now that's hyperbole.

I really expect to see this game get a massive update sometime next year. A 2.0 patch that "fixes" the level sharing, adds checkpoints and slopes, as well as a DLC pack for Mario 2 or something. This seems to be something Nintendo regularly does for their big Wii U titles.

Meh, people should get over it, like Daisy, I don't think we'll ever see slopes(unfortunately), checkpoints(I still think they don't make sense in here) nor SMB2(outside loose references).

They do?

All those major fixes for NSMBU, 3D World, Wind Waker HD...?

Some of their games got content, sure, but nothing fixing the underlying framework. Mario Kart 8 doesn't have voice chat except among friends. The online multi works the same as it did at launch. Battle mode still sucks.

And I think the idea of adding checkpoints and changing up sharing is pretty similar to fixing MK8's battle mode.

The battle mode of MK8 doesn't have any problem, the courses for it suck, that's it, now sharing that has a better shot at getting modified.

Well what would be a Super Mario Maker thread without hyperbole.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Is there anyway to make an enemy chase you to simulate Phanto?

Do you have any control on the path enemies will follow, or do they mostly act with pre-set A.I. and move to the left?

Top Bottom