• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Maker |OT| Miyamoto Simulator 2015

AniHawk

Okay, these are the levels I was able to get through on my livestream earlier!
Sorry to anybody whose level I didn't get to. I'll be livestreaming again tomorrow so I'll hopefully get to them then.

If anybody wants to watch the stream in its recorded glory, you can check it out here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVUlUO-FHio

Thanks to everyone who watched and sent in levels!

i accidentally sent the wrong thing. but thanks for playing anyway!

I loved this one but couldn't beat it :( I got to the vine part and got the helmet but I couldn't figure out what to do after that. I'll definitely try again.
Thanks for playing! I hope you do play it again, you basically have one puzzle left and then you're off to the races to the boss! :D

i accidentally sent the wrong thing. but thanks for playing anyway!
Yeah, I noticed it didn't match the name you posted, but oh well!

YES ! Need to watch recorded stream :) Sorry I missed your live stream earlier ! I love good GAF Super Mario Maker streams.
That's okay! I didn't exactly give much warning. I'll be streaming again Sunday evening so I hope I can see you on then :) Let me know if you're streaming too so we don't overlap!

New level
☆-1 Goomba Toobsa (76DB-0000-0074-FDE7)
supermariomakerscreenmlori.png

Old levels
★-1 Wiggler Wednesday (49CB-0000-0063-6010)
supermariomakerscreenl9jk7.png

★-2 Mushroom Cavern (4B37-0000-0063-609A)
supermariomakerscreenbrj0z.png

★-3 Mansion of Origins (ECB0-0000-0063-60FA)
supermariomakerscreenqvkky.png

★-4 Bowser's Castle (D633-0000-0063-6174)
supermariomakerscreen85j59.png

★-1 Piraña Plateau (6714-0000-006F-0BA8)
supermariomakerscreen3kqnz.png

★-2 Mushroom Breeze (C04F-0000-006F-0C07)
supermariomakerscreenqcrb4.png

★-3 T. Yoshisaur Munchakoopas (F932-0000-006F-0C6A)
supermariomakerscreen5jqr1.png

★-4 Casa de Bowser (3075-0000-006F-F5C6)
supermariomakerscreenljrl1.png

That SMB3 Reggae https://soundcloud.com/al-71212287/super-mario-maker-super-mario-bros-3-ground-editor-reggae

All the daily loading screens

choodi

Banned
My first complete level ended up pretty happy with it

241D-0000-0074-D87C

Just played it now. It's very busy with stuff flying everywhere. Seemed like a little bit of overkill on the difficulty.

I was getting a little frustrated and then I found the secret door. I went back and beat it without using the door, but it felt more like luck than skill.

I like levels where i can get a nice flow going with my jumping, but with all the shit trying to kill me, i couldn't do that.

I just redid one of my older courses which I'm keen to get some feedback on.

FA68-0000-0075-0567

I like when i have to bounce on consecutive enemies, so wanted to make a level based around that.

I know there are sometimes issues with getting the enemies to appear and move in unison, mostly when you try to be cautious, but there isn't much i can do because it's the way the game works.

KooopaKid

Banned
All of them are too long to feel like traditional Mario levels. There's also a lot more gimmicky backtracking, or waiting for spawns than there is in a Mario game. Getting most of the way through a level and then having to suicide because I lost Yoshi sucks =(

More specifics:
1-1: I think the map could be a bit shorter, or deal with the issue of needing a one-shot-only Yoshi to suicide a jump.
1-2: Too long, gimmicky, and the gimmick is basically insta-death because it depends on having small Mario. No room for error, even near the end of a long level.
1-3: The best of the bunch, IMO. It's a stealth water level, but that's okay. If you lose the flower, you are boned.
1-4: Didn't beat it, as I don't want to redo the Bob-omb sections just to get to the platforming section. You're kind of mixing a puzzle level with a platformer level, but something I hate in pretty much any game is having to redo puzzles to get back to where I died.

Well I designed them so they're beatable in one go quite easily. The platforming isn't extremely challenging for a veteran player. They're not supposed to feel like a traditional Mario level but more like the Super Mario Galaxy of doing things. With different "gimmicks" on every small "planets". They are also not long, except 1-4.

1-1 : No need to suicide Yoshi, Yoshi can bounce of saw blades. There's no need to get hit in any of my levels

1-2: This one is the most difficult yeah but only because people rush. There's no precise timed jumps, no real hazard, only one moving enemy. The rest can be avoided easily if you solve the "puzzle".

1-3: If you lose the flower, you can still to do. And take up to 3 hits and finish the level.

1-4: The bombing parts are very quick to redo IMO, the walls are quite thin.

choodi

Banned
It has probably been said many times already in this thread, but there is a fine line between challenging and cheap and most people charge right past that line and keep on going.

urfe

Three Acts

This was my first level, uploaded when I had not unlocked anything. I think it reeks of first levelness, but it always gets played and despite a seemingly high difficulty (unlike my Ashely's Adventure levels), people don't seem to give up all the time.

Try if you like.

Model 500

I will play and record (with my iPhone) the first five levels that quote this post. Cannot stream, but will upload the videos to YouTube (in the next 24 hours or so) so you can watch how the level works in the hands of a basic skilled player. I like action and skill based levels with a good flow and tricky situations over puzzlers, not a masochist though.

I will try each level at least 5-10 times and maybe some live / post commentary as well. Choose a level that you are proud of :) I try to be fair, but also honest if the level is frustrating me for one reason or another.

I will play and record (with my iPhone) the first five levels that quote this post. Cannot stream, but will upload the videos to YouTube (in the next 24 hours or so) so you can watch how the level works in the hands of a basic skilled player. I like action and skill based levels with a good flow and tricky situations over puzzlers, not a masochist though.

I will try each level at least 5-10 times and maybe some live / post commentary as well. Choose a level that you are proud of :) I try to be fair, but also honest if the level is frustrating me for one reason or another.

https://miiverse.nintendo.net/users/Oni_Link/posts

choodi

Banned

6D8E-0000-0073-2036

Neki

Here lol

Hey guys, finished my second Rosalina map!

Rosalina and the Floating Towers
BBB0-0000-0074-53B1

Nz9y86Q.jpg

Rosalina learns of a secret flying tower is powered by imprisoned stars. She must free the stars and defeat whoever is behind this wicked scheme.

Any feedback is welcome!

I've been playing maps and leaving comments on the page, hope you guys return the favour! ;)

KooopaKid

Banned

Here's my second Amiibo Trial. This time the theme is Wario Land. Those levels embrace the SMM essence and concentrate on short (All <100s) and sweet levels and quick restarts. So there's a bit of trial & error but nothing frustrating. This one includes 5-6 small concentrated puzzles to complete quickly. Enjoy!

Code: D23B-0000-0074-9B2C

tdOupsk.jpg

;)

Or if you prefer a more platform oriented level, this is quite popular amongst my levels :

BF98-0000-0059-D03C

M.D.L

Neo Member
I just tried your level, but didn't get very far. I got past the first puzzle (getting the mushroom) but not the second (getting Yoshi with the P-block). Overall I think the puzzles are a little too obsure / execution heavy. For example with the mushroom, you need to get a shell, jump and launch in the exact spot to hit the block so it falls. Making the block a little lower will help. Also, you are relying on the player knowing the Big Mario spin can break the yellow blocks, and a lot of players won't know this. You can also lose the mushroom to the turtles from the cannon, and be stuck.

For the P-block where I got stuck, I'm not sure if there's a trick to it. I saw 2 potential solutions. One, hit the P-block, go up the vines, and around so you can drop down to Yoshi. But I pretty much ran out of time halfway. 2, toss P block back across the one way, so you can take your time getting back. Problem is the P-block de-spawns by then. So I got stuck till time ran out.

Re-quoting, since this thread moves quickly:
Thanks for the feedback, about the second part there is a trick. You need to bring a shell from the top and throw it in the left side, then hit the P-block and the shell will go down and hit the POW. After that the road will open to get Yoshi.

Apenheul

I've finished my first level since unlocking all the building blocks. It's called "frame-perfect Mario" because some parts of the level require frame-perfect precision. As such it took me at least two hours to finish my own level and upload it. I don't think anyone will have the patience to finish it but hopefully the design is inspiring.

WVW69ibXx64nSKCZx6

F7EE-0000-0072-AC00

VandalD

illusory mansion von spinjump
E02F-0000-006F-E9DC
I enjoyed this. Felt ghost housey enough without being too confusing. I liked getting to see the rooms before going through them backwards again. Thought maybe the trip back was bit sparse. Could use some more obstacles or enemies. The placement of the hidden blocks felt obvious enough to me. The only ones I didn't find were the two over the thwomps.

Sölf;180067405 said:
Fire Temple
6F7C-0000-0074-E189
Not sure why you wouldn't be happy with this one. It's great! I might feel otherwise if I hadn't gotten through on first try since it's quite long and there are very dangerous sections, particularly near the end, but I very much enjoyed it.

star bob-omb banner
241D-0000-0074-D87C
I beat this in something like 20 seconds thanks to the cape and bouncing off cannonballs. I thought maybe I had found a secret area, but the door lead right to the end. Maybe a bit too much going on in this level. Maybe try sticking to only a few different obstacles/enemy types, unless you really like your levels to be hectic.

BREAK THE BANK
CEF2-0000-006F-8CA6
Just a really cool level. Bit of challenge, bit of blowing stuff up. Lots of coins. And that cover is amazing.

Leaf or flower, which has power?
E776-0000-006E-9A01
I stuck with the leaf as soon as I found it. If you didn't know, you can hit spinies with your tail and then throw them, so that's what I did to take out the plants. I never needed the fire flower (guess leaf has the power!). Wasted a lot of time after I got the mushroom not remembering the ceiling at the beginning was made of breakable blocks. Ended with about 150 seconds left on the timer, but I thought I was gonna be cutting it close with how much time I wasted after the mushroom. Only other problem I can think of with this level (if you consider having to restart or die as a problem) is that if you lose a power, there might not be a way to get it back and progress in the level. But it's not an overly long level once you get to know it, so that's not much of a problem IMO. Nice job with this one.

Peach's wonderful garden 1-1
316C-0000-0074-8CC1
As I commented, nice use of tracks for the plants, but I felt the level could have gone on longer with more of a ramp up in difficulty instead of how it currently ends. I went in the very first pipe and never went down any others. I stopped hitting ? blocks after a few as well since they were all popping out flowers and I thought I might need them.

Amiibo Trials: Wario Land
D23B-0000-0074-9B2C
This idea works well for costume levels. I struggle with the idea of making a costume themed level, but then having enemies that can knock away your costume. This was challenging. Great use of the pow block. I'll have to steal that for something in the future. Awesome level.

If you'd like to try out one of my levels, check out my latest one:
Follow That Shell! (7D40-0000-0074-487F)

Most of my levels are pretty reasonable in difficulty if you want to give them a shot.

I will play and record (with my iPhone) the first five levels that quote this post.
Try the level I bolded above, if you'd like.

I built some levels if you want to try them out. They probably lean toward the easy side. A couple of them are just me stuffing around with ideas. I'm trying to find good ideas for a costume level as I have 8 Amiibos I could do things with. But anyway...

Feedback would be good. I'm going to test run some of the levels in this thread as well.

Classic Mario Underground - 7CD9-0000-0068-06A8
Big Fish To Bash - 9746-0000-006B-6E6C
Travelling Band Of Airships - B570-000-006E-FF5A
Kick Against The Bricks - 368B-0000-0067-F581
Firebats Are Go - 251E-0000-0075-D3A4
High Or Low - 5361-0000-0070-4902
Jump Scares - F255-0000-0073-5519
Kuribo's Juice - 3C70-0000-0073-7C68
Don't Get The Munchers - 6B14-0000-0075-DD57
Aim For The Top! - A39A-0000-0064-F224

Seiniyta

As I commented, nice use of tracks for the plants, but I felt the level could have gone on longer with more of a ramp up in difficulty instead of how it currently ends. I went in the very first pipe and never went down any others. I stopped hitting ? blocks after a few as well since they were all popping out flowers and I thought I might need them.

If you'd like to try out one of my levels, check out my latest one:
Follow That Shell! (7D40-0000-0074-487F)

Most of my levels are pretty reasonable in difficulty if you want to give them a shot.

Try the level I bolded above, if you'd like.

The goal with that level was to make it short, so the difficulty does ramp up rather fast. I did try to did make it somewhat gradular. Some people will spend more time in it depending on their skill level.

If I made a longer level, everything would be spaced out more. I also did leave a comment on your latest level :)

VandalD

The goal with that level was to make it short, so the difficulty does ramp up rather fast. I did try to did make it somewhat gradular. Some people will spend more time in it depending on their skill level.

If I made a longer level, everything would be spaced out more. I also did leave a comment on your latest level :)
Right on. Nothing wrong with a short, challenging level. Thanks for trying mine out and leaving a comment!

What secrets are the Koopas hiding in their village? Find out. :)

EB46-0000-0075-696F
At first you might feel bad invading the village and throwing fireballs. But you won't. Not in the end. The monsters.

Travelling Band Of Airships - B570-000-006E-FF5A
Firebats Are Go - 3CB9-0000-006B-81CC
Don't Get The Munchers - 2287-0000-0075-5ECF
I started with Airships. I like a good autoscroll airship level, and it was fun. Nothing unfair about it except maybe the giant firebar. It kind of comes out of nowhere. But I like that it lights the two bob-ombs on fire. Also played Firebats, which is a pretty simple level. Thought I'd try Munchers too since it had no plays. I liked the door that was made hard to jump to by the semi-solid platform. Found the p-switch in there but didn't really know what to use it for. Fairly straightforward level, though it seems like you put in a lot of secrets in case someone wanted to ditch Yoshi for more rewards. I'd say all but the airship level were easy, with that one going a bit higher.

That was very, very good!
Glad you liked it! Thanks!

KingBroly

Banned
Having beaten Expert 11 times, I feel like the levels are getting better, and I'm skipping less of them, but there are still more shitty levels out there than I'd like. The ones that really get to me are the ones that start off really well but just devolve into bullshit later on.

If you make a level with Lakitus and Bloopers on screen at the same time, I'm automatically skipping it because they are the most annoying enemies in the game BY FAR since they spawn a lot earlier than they need to.

At least I only need to do 5 more Expert runs than I can stop playing that shit.

I started with Airships. I like a good autoscroll airship level, and it was fun. Nothing unfair about it except maybe the giant firebar. It kind of comes out of nowhere. But I like that it lights the two bob-ombs on fire. Also played Firebats, which is a pretty simple level. Thought I'd try Munchers too since it had no plays. I liked the door that was made hard to jump to by the semi-solid platform. Found the p-switch in there but didn't really know what to use it for. Fairly straightforward level, though it seems like you put in a lot of secrets in case someone wanted to ditch Yoshi for more rewards. I'd say all but the airship level were easy, with that one going a bit higher.
Thanks for the feedback. I'm fairly happy with how Airships turned out. Firebats is a pretty early level, which I feel needs some work. I want it to have a tricky end zone with a semi-secret workaround.

I mostly like how Munchers came out, but I'll tweak the exit doors so that they're inaccessible going in.

EDIT> Firebats Are Go V2.0 - 251E-0000-0075-D3A4
Don't Get The Munchers V1.1 - 6B14-0000-0075-DD57

Symphonia

Banned
Is there a grid template online somewhere so I can design my stages beforehand? I have an idea but I want to make sure it's planned perfectly.

Model 500

Played these levels:

Oni Link 666: &#9733;-4 Casa de Bowser (3075-0000-006F-F5C6)

Choodi: 6D8E-0000-0073-2036

Neki: Rosalina and the Floating Towers
BBB0-0000-0074-53B1

KoopaKid: Code: D23B-0000-0074-9B2C

VandalD: Follow That Shell! (7D40-0000-0074-487F)

Will post the videos later, couldn't finish KoopaKids stage, but will give it another go right now and record it as well, I'm pretty sure I missed something obvious (most likely the POW), but will post all of my attempts so you can see how different people will try things out and keep hitting their heads against the wall repeatedly :D

EDIT: Haha, got it now...POW.

KooopaKid

Banned
Played these levels:

Will post the videos later, couldn't finish KoopaKids stage, but will give it another go right now and record it as well, I'm pretty sure I missed something obvious (most likely the POW), but will post all of my attempts so you can see how different people will try things out and keep hitting their heads against the wall repeatedly :D

EDIT: Haha, got it now...POW.

Ah ah! Well done!
Cool thanks a lot!

pitt_norton

Hey Guys,

Here are the first four levels I've made under the "MAKER WORLD" banner.

The last thing I wanted to do was spam the community with half baked ideas so I've spent a lot of time this month fine tuning these 4 stages for a fun play through to the best of my ability. Stars, for at least effort, would be appreciated plus any feedback would be welcome, as I'd like to upload revised versions of these at a later date :D

Here we go, presenting the following codes:

MAKER WORLD 1-1

A25B-0000-001E-4186

WVW69iZ9D_YlB8FoFm

MAKER WORLD 1-2

F19B-0000-0042-2F14

WVW69iZ9ImscbVH6QA

MAKER WORLD 1-3

C263-0000-0055-2E91

WVW69iZ9MAMtKe9K7K

MAKER WORLD 1-4

4F29-0000-0075-4861

WVW69ibg8eQp_3H5XP

All these levels try to give you a sense of fun, discovery, action and adventure like finding hidden Yoshis or secret alternate exits and quick attacks or escapes. I'm not interested in busting your balls but there are some tricky sections.

Have at it and enjoy. I hope to hear your thoughts. Happy building everyone :D

Skeldel

Neo Member
So here is my second Level for my World (Marios Adventure):
Through the Ice Cavern L 1-2
3A90-0000-0075-D77B

Mario has to travel trough a Ice Cavern to find a strange looking House...

a8ewHj4.jpg

Enjoy the Level :)

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
A reminder to please try my new level! I worked on it all week XD

D5SVDJ5.png

This is partly why I've started livestreaming.
But then I've only posted one level a week and I've played and commented on many levels.

I've watched your streaming a few hours ago: many good / interesting levels in there. DaBoss's maze was intricated, and the idea of hiding pipes by putting pipes rotated in different directions on them...that was hard. Aesthetically, I think the Chain Chomp Complex level was the best, it really looked like an industrial complex.
I'll try these levels in the next few days, hopefully.
Also, I'm pleased you liked my level, thanks for streaming it. Fyi: The title is Italian, not Spanish :p

so1337

I enjoyed this. Felt ghost housey enough without being too confusing. I liked getting to see the rooms before going through them backwards again. Thought maybe the trip back was bit sparse. Could use some more obstacles or enemies. The placement of the hidden blocks felt obvious enough to me. The only ones I didn't find were the two over the thwomps.
Thanks. I might tweak the backtracking part and the difficulty a little (the clear rate this morning was abysmally low).

R00bot

Here's my newest level, The Underground Lair. It's got no gimmicks (okay maybe a few little ones), is challenging without being cheap, a good length, and has some cool ideas in my opinion.
Finishes with a climactic boss battle that's not overly punishing but still manages to be intense, then a cute little flagpole trick that I haven't seen much in other users' levels.

FF8B-0000-0073-969E
WVW69ibbFf8dXc47sd

Having beaten Expert 11 times, I feel like the levels are getting better, and I'm skipping less of them, but there are still more shitty levels out there than I'd like. The ones that really get to me are the ones that start off really well but just devolve into bullshit later on.

If you make a level with Lakitus and Bloopers on screen at the same time, I'm automatically skipping it because they are the most annoying enemies in the game BY FAR since they spawn a lot earlier than they need to.

At least I only need to do 5 more Expert runs than I can stop playing that shit.

The tide may be turning &#128562; Just played expert and I actually STARRED 3 levels. This is unheard of. One was quite clever, involved a series of conveyors belts, enemies and a long cannon. Clearing the enemies made the cannon progress further towards the end until it sank into lava. I'll be stealing that one for a boss fight...

markiemak

Neo Member
Created this level based very loosely on, of course, the idea of Pod Racing. Tried to pace the level so the end is the most interesting part! There are some whacky physiques involved with the Pod Racer.

Please let me know what you think. I only need a few more stars to reach 50!

Bowser's pod racer

E6C9-0000-003F-10C3

Does anyone know where I can find legal scans or fan recreations for the layouts of all or most of the Super Mario games? I am interested in recreating some of the levels as close as possible so this kind of thing would be very helpful. If anything, they would serve as a good reference for great level design. I saw a place online that offered the Nintendo Power SMB 3 guide, but the price was $24.99 something I would only pay for as a last resort.

I would also like to try to demake some of the SMB Wii U and Luigi levels.

Does anyone know where I can find legal scans or fan recreations for the layouts of all or most of the Super Mario games? I am interested in recreating some of the levels as close as possible so this kind of thing would be very helpful. If anything, they would serve as a good reference for great level design. I saw a place online that offered the Nintendo Power SMB 3 guide, but the price was $24.99 something I would only pay for as a last resort.

I would also like to try to demake some of the SMB Wii U and Luigi levels.

http://www.mariouniverse.com/maps/

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Played other Gaffers levels today, and offering my feedback in return

D5SVDJ5.png

I commented on this on Miiverse too, but just going a bit deeper here. Very interesting, with multiple paths
since there are two ways to get the spiny helment, a bonus area with a 1Up hidden in a camera, or you could get right into the action by going into the central high door and be "satisfied" with the normal helmet
. I liked how the Mansion itself was built, cohesive and appealing design. There is an area I didn't enjoy as much as the other though:
the part with Bob-ombs and the following Thwomps/blocks madness - mainly, how you had to be small to get to the part where Bob-ombs spawn, I couldn't get in there at normal size, not even by running towards the small entrance and ducking. Also, I got stuck once by breaking some blocks with a Spiny helmet and the panel platform under me; as well as by accidentally hitting the trampoline and falling into the pit where you need to throw the Bob-omb. If I were your, I would'v put a sort-of-checkpoint for the latter, by putting a door on the left of the pit, which would bring the player near the pipe where the section starts

Despite that, good job!

Snake Block Shuffle

BD8E-0000-0071-B3A6

Great level. Very interesting idea, great execution. Good feelings while playing it, without being too harsh
as there were additional platforms where to sit on in specific parts
. The only thing I'd correct is how snakes fall from the sky a few seconds after you've entered a part...I died once because of them :lol But maybe that is how you could have platforms/blocks attached to each other on trails? I tried creating these kind of snakes, but platforms can't be next to each other if put directly on trails. Maybe you could solve this nitpick (it's a minor one, I'm the first to admit it :p) by putting the point where snakes fall on trials a bit more distant from the pipes where the player exits from. Again, though, great. It had the classic Mario feeling.

M9ziOVa.png

Great level, great idea, great atmosphere. I don't have much else to say in this case.

Yuterald

I didn't get a chance to leave feedback on the first round, so here are some armchair-designer impressions from Round 2.

Boba2007: 1-1 Koopa Field
Simple and effective for a "1-1", but nothing stands-out. Nothing bad either. For a stage named after a specific enemy type it would have been nice/interesting to see slightly more clever/creative usages of Koopas, too.

Chopper: 1-1, A Bit of Fun!
Simple and effective for a "1-1", (maybe a bit more advanced with the varying enemy types as compared to the stage above) but nothing stands-out here either. There are some well placed hidden blocks in this stage, however, as my natural instincts to jump in certain hot-spots (such as that lowered mushroom stalk) were clearly rewarded. Stage is appropriately named though, as it was a bit of fun.

Cam: Mario & Luigi: Partners in Grime
There's a decent idea/concept at play here, but it doesn't seem executed too well. A part of that reason could be due to the limitations of Mario Maker, however. Switching between Mario & Luigi should showcase new/different ideas. As it is, it's a few screens with simple platforming ideas that either character could perform. The gimmick falls flat when you go back into a door you just came through, too. My take-away is that this level gave me some ideas for a similarly designed stage, so that's something!

Azure: 1-1 Summer Stroll
Simple, short and effective for a "1-1". There's a decent spike helmet gimmick at play here that shows elements of layered progression (ice blocks in-the-way, head back, get helmet, destroy ice blocks, "?" item blocks now have breakable blocks underneath them which makes use of the power-up, etc.). I like the safety net with the donut platforms near the final few moving platform jumps, too. Stage seemed actively aware that it was an intro level. Stage name is kind of weird, though. Any reason in particular for the title? Doesn't really seem like a stroll. Could have worked better to have placed some long stretches of background scenery to capture the feeling of a "stroll".

GAFBelgian: Super Climber Bros. 1-1
This was kind of a weird stage. This level was essentially a collection of training houses/rooms for Mario's move-set, so it served its purpose as a "1-1" level. They weren't mandatory either, so you could by-pass all of them if you already knew how to play which is cool. I appreciate some of the aesthetic touches, too (rounding your block edges, using backgrounds for the inside of buildings and I like the little fire jets that acted as chimneys on a roof). The level could have used a little more room to breathe, however, as I feel like NSMBU doesn't lend itself too well to tight-spaces. Again, what's up with the stage name? I would have titled this stage, "House of Training" or something along those lines.

Kebinu: Koopa Trails
This was probably my favorite stage so far, aesthetically. The stage was very pleasing to the eye (object placement and not allowing the player to see outside of the borders when in the caves/pipes, for example). Seemed finely tuned and crafted for being a "1-1", too. Good usage of hidden blocks and I dug the bonus pipe that taught the player that they could break the blocks with their leaf power-up. Any reason for the stage title? Didn't seem overly focused on Koopas.

This is all the feedback I have for now. I'll try to post some impressions for the rest latter.

Tiamant

My 4th level: Aerial Manor. (DAE9-0000-0076-35E1)

WVW69ibkb4MIzXK39d

Nothing spectacular but I'm proud of my pixel-perfect accuracy when making P-switch runs :D

Hello humans of NeoGAF.

I have built a grotesque portal into the unfathomable abyss of the Ancient Ones perfect recreation of level 1-1 from the video game Super Mario Brothers as commanded by Lord Cthulhu himself by my own volition. It has been made in the exact image of the aforementioned level, down to the very last block. Please try it. It is safe to play for humans of any kind.

h9aiw7J.png

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

I wanted to chime in on this level too. Fantastic! Super creative and fun to play to boot.

DaBoss

Played other Gaffers levels today, and offering my feedback in return

D5SVDJ5.png

I commented on this on Miiverse too, but just going a bit deeper here. Very interesting, with multiple paths
since there are two ways to get the spiny helment, a bonus area with a 1Up hidden in a camera, or you could get right into the action by going into the central high door and be "satisfied" with the normal helmet
. I liked how the Mansion itself was built, cohesive and appealing design. There is an area I didn't enjoy as much as the other though:
the part with Bob-ombs and the following Thwomps/blocks madness - mainly, how you had to be small to get to the part where Bob-ombs spawn, I couldn't get in there at normal size, not even by running towards the small entrance and ducking. Also, I got stuck once by breaking some blocks with a Spiny helmet and the panel platform under me; as well as by accidentally hitting the trampoline and falling into the pit where you need to throw the Bob-omb. If I were your, I would'v put a sort-of-checkpoint for the latter, by putting a door on the left of the pit, which would bring the player near the pipe where the section starts
I guess I'll keep it in spoilers:
You're supposed to get a Fire Flower from the top-right room from the main room. Then use the Fire Flower to knock the bombs into the trampoline. He left Fire Flowers up there as a hint and you can get Fire Flowers from there with a Spike Helmet if you lose it afterwards.

I want to say you can't get stuck in the ice blocks area, but I don't remember.

EDIT: Nevermind, you can get stuck there.

It's what I sorta did with Goomba 1-3 and It's pretty successful. Though I didn't expect this many people that played it/starred/left comment.

The only thing I'd change is if you like the level and star it. Leave a comment on miiverse saying something so I know it's from Neogaf, just having a reply with just "Neogaf" would suffice. As I feel like stages that get starred more get played more and get more stars and I don't know who's from Neogaf and who isn't.

Played some more of your levels. Congrats on reaching 50 stars! Thanks for the feedback on my levels too. I'm glad you liked Ground-Squid-Day

My newest level: A warm and relaxing stroll

WVW69ibUZbI5TYCuUs

0409-0000-0071-3120

I separated the platforms so it should be fairly easy and relaxing

Top Bottom