• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Maker |OT| Miyamoto Simulator 2015

B_Bech

Really Big ROB's Rampage

(BD10-0000-0077-1BE3)

WVW69ibnDP8dbmMGI4

This is probably my craziest stage yet. I got inspiration from Motorbass's flight of the Battleship, which was absolutely brilliant. ROB is my favorite Nintendo character, and I always wanted to make a stage featuring a giant robot rampaging through the city. And thus, here we are...

I hope you enjoy this level, it's completely different than anything else I've done.

Oh, and shout outs to Motorbass. Thanks for coming up with the original idea!

Vitet

A ghost ship and a ghost house. The second one with a twist in the gameplay. Entering doors will turn things upside down!

34QW9Vn.png

pDcs1UW.png

Kebiinu

Banned
I really enjoyed this. In terms of ambience it's simple but great. The bones work very well together with the ice blocks. The platforming is simple as well, and mostly about landing your jumps correctly, but it has a couple of other challenges that round things up.

I felt like you were very generous with the mushrooms in the land ice section, but that the real danger was falling to death. It happened to me once and I would have appreciated landing on something and letting me try again.

It's very solid. I'm not surprised I had already marked you as a favorite creator.

Ahh, thanks for your feedback! :)

I tend to be a bit generous with shrooms in my stages, because the lack of checkpoints make it easy for someone to just die and give up.

But yeah, the real danger was definitely falling to death. I had considered making some safety nets for the first few jumps, but I decided to just make the level shorter than I usually do, to encourage repeated attempts.

Valid criticism, however. I should have added an introductory room upon initial entry into the ice cave. Letting users try again in case they fall off one of the early platforms.

Thanks again! And you can look forward to more in the future. :)

cyba89

Maybe it's just me getting lucky but does it seem like the quality of the average 100 Mario level is increasing to anyone else?

Probably just luck. I had a few good ones a week ago and thought the same but then I also had some abysmal bad runs.

When playing the hard challenge I sometimes get three good levels in a row and then I skip ten or more bad ones right after.

Camjo-Z

Coral Current

6E28-0000-0077-18C6

WVW69ibm-0Eq--rpQe

Too hard for my taste but I like the idea. The Bowser fire works especially well as a constant threat that you don't really take seriously until the section where you have to quickly swim between columns of coral.

Goomba Torture, to save or not?

8A1D-0000-0077-291E

This is a good concept for a level, it feels like it needs more payoff in order to work though. Saving the Goombas ultimately offers no tangible reward, and the moral aspect isn't there either since since you can't save them permanently, they only survive for as long as the P-Switches are pressed. Maybe if you were given something like a Costume Suit for venturing into optional perilous areas, players would have incentive to do it.

Mr.Fusion

My first SMW ghost level "Ghost House in the Woods". It seems to be pretty difficult, hopefully not too much so. Enjoy!
D501-0000-0077-45D8

WVW69ibnghUFHov1Sg

Last night I thought to myself: 'You always make long, complicated courses that no-one can finish. I should do another one in the vein of Beginner's Guide (BE18-0000-004D-59FC), keeping it short and simple.'

Then this happened.

skyscraper%20construction%20equipment_zpsqvqqcyyy.jpg

Trawling though some of the levels posted on this thread. I have to say that this course is fantastic. Really top stuff! GAF delivers!

Dimmle

Put together a little ghost house, let me know what you think!
WVW69ibnN00CJz1v_A

8802-0000-0077-2CD9

I gave this one a whirl. I'm a sucker for platforming challenges and levels with multiple paths that reward the player for jumping real good, so I enjoyed those aspects.

These were some elements that I didn't like as much:
  • Hitting a ? block and narrowly avoiding the Boo Buddies I had inadvertently freed before realizing I'd have to damage-boost through them in order to progress.
  • Similarly, there's a clever room which culminates the lower path of your second area that requires the player to avoid a critical group of coins so that they might use a P-switch to escape. I accidentally took out the first row of coins after the treadmill and was just kinda stuck forever. Maybe I missed a hidden block and your Ghost House is too good at Ghost Housing.
  • In the hallway run-up to the platforming challenge before the flagpole, there are a couple of Floor Boos (Roombas?) that seem pretty difficult to jump over without taking damage. It's a personal preference but as I said, I'm just not into tanking hits.

All that said, it totally plays like a real-ass Mario level for the most part which is kind of my metric. Starr'd!

Here's a stage I just recently finished. I wanted to play around with a certain conceit only possible in Mario Maker. Tell me if it ever seems unfair. I didn't put much thought into the progression of the level other than "how can I string this junk together"?

Spring Romance: F7B8-0000-0070-E8F4
WVW69ibTnTAYaKFdpr

ExVicis

So I submitted a level last night that I personally think is is really good and consider my best made level thus far.

2ZmKqLv.jpg

In case it's diificult to read the code is: BC8A-0000-0077-8BFD

Terror Sawmill:
Mario in his journey through Browser's Kingdom comes across an abandoned Sawmill and decides to venture in. Inside, however, Mario discovers the Saw mill not as abandoned as he thought.

There's a couple of intense parts I put in this level that I TRIED to tone down and make easier but they might be a bit of trouble still. For the most part a lot of the areas are passable by being patient and ducking a lot. There's usually a mushroom after some of these intense parts but sometimes they're hidden. Personally I'd like other people's opinions on it but I think it's one of the best levels I made and I had a lot of fun creating it and a lot of fun completing it after. Hopefully some of you have fun too.

Edit: Also for those that play the other two levels I made, the first two, those kinda suck and were made while tired and also when I was first trying out the game and mechanics. So...they're not really great and really unfair and hard. Probably gonna take them down and re-work them.

Edit2: I re uploaded the level with some tweaks

Neki

Have you ever wondered what happens with all the enemies and items that are left behind when Mario rushes through a level?

Mario travels to the Dry Bones' Disposal Center to uncover a terrifying truth in this 3-part adventure.

All levels follow the same mechanics with some evolution between them. Also, all levels have 2 checkpoints each to help you beat the level.

Gaf please, play and comment!

I´ll be reviewing some levels myself from the last pages now :)

I played the first dry bones level. Dry bones
as enemies are annoying, those bones are awful. I liked your level, but a lot of it was trial and error platforming because of the Insta death walls. It feels unfair to jump down behind a wall and have no way to escape once you realize you're on the wrong side. It happens multiple times, the only reason I didn't quit was because of the checkpoint. The layout was confusing too. The arrows and multiple paths got confusing. Otherwise, great theme and was fun when I wasn't being crushed to death

Another round of randomly selected courses from this thread, gotta take advantage of the weekend... Starred all of them, as usual.

What secrets are the Koopas hiding in their village? Find out. :)

EB46-0000-0075-696F

It was nicely decorated and easy enough, I don't think I got just what they were hiding... lol

Created this level based very loosely on, of course, the idea of Pod Racing. Tried to pace the level so the end is the most interesting part! There are some whacky physiques involved with the Pod Racer.

Please let me know what you think. I only need a few more stars to reach 50!

Bowser's pod racer

E6C9-0000-003F-10C3

Bouncy parts are always fun but it didn't last very long, maybe I should have paced myself like you recommended.

I created a pretty simple Castle level with a small amount of enemies and a singular theme.
There's also a boss battle.
Nothing too gimmicky or overloaded. Don't think anyone's cleared it yet, but it's still fairly fresh. I think people just die once and give up.

Leaky Lava Lair
3695 0000 0074 83A7

Great course! Loved the theme and it was really well done. The
boss battle
even had a "
boss battle
layout" which was cool.

And if anyone missed it, please check out my level :)

Hey guys, first time sharing a level here. My game arrived this past monday so I spent the whole week after work trying to make a decent level to share and I think I managed to make one.

xvCgd59.jpg

It's supposed to be a haunted building, the closer you get to the 4th floor, the chillier it gets. It shouldn't be too hard, just some tricky jumps or timing but if you need advice: goombas are meant to be weapons :p

If anyone could check it out I'd appreciate it! I’ll play some levels in this thread throughout the weekend :)

Hi Folks,

Here's my first attempt at a Ghost House style level in original SMB livery.

Would appreciate some feedback. Can be very short depending on which route but I think it's reasonably fun!

Mario's Nightmare
ID: 2D31-0000-0077-66EF
Mario wakes with a startle in a house he doesn't recognise. Is this a nightmare or reality? One thing's for sure, the Mischevious Boos will go all out to prevent Mario from escaping either way.

iD0Iaiel.jpg

Please also try my other levels if you fancy the sound of them:

Polar Perils - 2CDA-0000-006F-E2B9
A frosty adventure culminating in a Gradius-style underwater battle

Manic Plumber ZX - 3800-0000-0057-EB4F
A tribute to Speccy Classic, Manic Miner

I'm working my way through GAFFers courses and if I like yours, I'll follow you and play them all. The last few pages look like they contain some gems!

correojon

Posted a new stage last night but it got a bit buried near the bottom of the page.

Mystery of the Dry Lake: 1535-0000-0073-B24C.

Switch between ground and underwater sections in this mysterious level. Certain things float underwater so the layout of the stage changes a bit, allowing you to reach areas that weren't possible before. Level features hazards such as Dry Bones, Bullet Bills and vine jumps!
Amazing idea, having the stage turn from dry to wet was really cool. Unfortunately I couldn´t get too far, after 5 or 6 failed attempts at the vines part I gave up. You should add some more margin to that part, I´m not even sure if that´s the way to go but I couldn´t find a different way. It seems a lot of people are dying there...It´s a pity because i loved the theme of the level and the way it´s implemented and I wanted to see more of it.

I also tried your Mistery Spinning House (or something like that, it´s tricky but I almost got through! However, I failed the jump to the pipe and then an invisible block killed me...that´s a big no and I had to quit. Anyway, the level was fun.

I gave stars to both of them ;)

jnWake

Amazing idea, having the stage turn from dry to wet was really cool. Unfortunately I couldn´t get too far, after 5 or 6 failed attempts at the vines part I gave up. You should add some more margin to that part, I´m not even sure if that´s the way to go but I couldn´t find a different way. It seems a lot of people are dying there...It´s a pity because i loved the theme of the level and the way it´s implemented and I wanted to see more of it.

Which vine part specifically? There are 3 of them haha. I'm guessing you mean the first one though, that has 4 vines over a few piranha plants.

I also tried your Mistery Spinning House (or something like that, it´s tricky but I almost got through! However, I failed the jump to the pipe and then an invisible block killed me...that´s a big no and I had to quit. Anyway, the level was fun.

What invisible block killed you? I honestly have no idea what you mean by that.

Thanks for the stars btw.

InTR5Mu.jpg

Ok, I just spent about 10 hours trying to make the best Traditional Mario course I could. Its a very long stage (I hit the block limit on the sub world and had to actually delete pretty much everything that was off-screen during gameplay) with a custom Boss that should be difficult to skip. While this might sound daunting, it also features the community-invented checkpoint system right before the boss, hopefully in a well-hidden place :)

I'd say the stage is actually somewhat difficult, but there are plenty of powerups placed throughout the level so seasoned Mario players shouldn't have too much trouble. The whole level can be completed without doing any running jumps though, and there are no intentional "gotcha"-moments either.

Please check it out and let me know if you manage to break something, I'm sure I've missed a bunch of stuff!

ShivUK

I finally got around to trying my hand at an auto-scrolling level and combined it with the airship level theme (another first for me).

AkV6SBQ.jpg

I've really tried to not make this a hard level; my real aim is to approach something that most people should pass within a couple of tries, but also to add things that will hopefully make them want to play again.

Will see if the stats back this up over time.

As ever, any feedback is welcome, - it's difficult getting any creations noticed at all so any real comments are really valuable.

Now to try some more of the GAF-made courses :)

Mario 3 style is hyper-rare in 100 Mario Challenge. :( It's probably my favorite style. You can do the most interesting things with it visually, you're not set in stone with "this is underground, see the parallax cave background?!" etc. And I like Mario's ability set in it. Can't spin or wall jump, but you can fly and break things with the raccoon tail, and can carry stuff. It's the right balance without feeling like there are a bunch of design gotchas to take into consideration.

Strangely enough, with Mario 3's rarity...it almost feels like when you encounter them, they're guaranteed to be a decent level, or at least to have some thought put into them. Like only people nostalgic for Mario 3 are making levels in that style, so they're older gamers who put more time into their creations. Or something. Really, whenever I come across one in the challenge it's not too bad compared to the rest.

aubrey76

Neo Member
Course inspired by Silent Hills P.T.

Course Title: Mario P.T. [Version 3]

Course Id: 88A3-0000-007D-61A2

Update: Version 3 has minor changes to the conveyor belt/bomb puzzle to prevent players from skipping the puzzle. Thank you for your feedback!

ExVicis

Is there a way to-reupload a course that you made changes to or are you fucked and have to basically just delete the old one and lose all the stars?

correojon

Which vine part specifically? There are 3 of them haha. I'm guessing you mean the first one though, that has 4 vines over a few piranha plants.

What invisible block killed you? I honestly have no idea what you mean by that.

Thanks for the stars btw.
Yeah, the part with the 4 vines. I couldn't make the jump between the 2 shorter ones and there's no other place in the level to practice or anything.

The hidden block was after failing the jump with the spring, I landed, tried to jump over the shell and the hidden block sent me down into the shell's path. It would be better if you just removed the floor and sent the player directly to his death, as anyway there's no way to continue...but at least this way the player eon't feel like the level is laughing at him.

I played the first dry bones level. Dry bones
as enemies are annoying, those bones are awful. I liked your level, but a lot of it was trial and error platforming because of the Insta death walls. It feels unfair to jump down behind a wall and have no way to escape once you realize you're on the wrong side. It happens multiple times, the only reason I didn't quit was because of the checkpoint. The layout was confusing too. The arrows and multiple paths got confusing. Otherwise, great theme and was fun when I wasn't being crushed to death
There's only one path, the arrows are to show the player how to activate the chelpoints...but yeah, it may be a bit confusing. The instant deaths are not good, I agree and looking back I should have removed them completely. Chapters 2 and 3 don't have them, so if you liked the level you should try them.
Thanks for the feedback :)

Thud

Mario 3 style is hyper-rare in 100 Mario Challenge. :( It's probably my favorite style. You can do the most interesting things with it visually, you're not set in stone with "this is underground, see the parallax cave background?!" etc. And I like Mario's ability set in it. Can't spin or wall jump, but you can fly and break things with the raccoon tail, and can carry stuff. It's the right balance without feeling like there are a bunch of design gotchas to take into consideration.

Strangely enough, with Mario 3's rarity...it almost feels like when you encounter them, they're guaranteed to be a decent level, or at least to have some thought put into them. Like only people nostalgic for Mario 3 are making levels in that style, so they're older gamers who put more time into their creations. Or something. Really, whenever I come across one in the challenge it's not too bad compared to the rest.

The underwater music is so soothing in SMB3.

Is there a way to-reupload a course that you made changes to or are you fucked and have to basically just delete the old one and lose all the stars?

Apparently you're fucked :( I don't know if you "lose" the stars in that I think they stay in your account/unlocks for medals, but you don't have them on the uploaded level anymore.

Thud

Apparently you're fucked :( I don't know if you "lose" the stars in that I think they stay in your account/unlocks for medals, but you don't have them on the uploaded level anymore.

You'll keep your stars if you delete it. If you don't delete it, you'll have both versions online even if you don't have that version saved locally.

NetMapel

Guilty White Male Mods Gave Me This Tag
That's okay! I didn't exactly give much warning. I'll be streaming again Sunday evening so I hope I can see you on then :) Let me know if you're streaming too so we don't overlap!

Hahaha thanks. I'll be streaming MGSV tonight (9PM PST) so no worries about overlapping ! However, if you're streaming earlier or later then that, I'll definitely want to join in the stream and chat :D

B_Bech

It's funny because the majority of my levels are in the Mario 3 style. It's by far my favorite. Only one that comes close is the Classic Mario Airship theme in terms of aesthetics. There's so much you can do with the 3 tilesets. I mean, I made a convincing office level...

Naar

i have a question to the people streaming mario maker

what capture device do you use?

I am thinking of getting the AVer media Live Gamer Portable or the elgato. I am leaning more towards the LGP

my big question is how do all these devices by pass the hdcp security of the HDMI on the consoles?

can i simply connect the wii u (or ps4) to the LGP/elgato via hdmi and connect to my PC and start streaming/recording that easily?

would love to know your set ups :)

Pooper Mario World
loHrgFl.jpg

E495-0000-006A-AD94
Branching paths are abundant in this tricky, but fair, Mario World course.

Mountain Town
MBstjEj.jpg

C56A-0000-0074-74E5
A tricky, and not-so-fair South Park-themed level.

Model 500

Model 500 said:
I will play and record (with my iPhone) the first five levels that quote this post. Cannot stream, but will upload the videos to YouTube (in the next 24 hours or so) so you can watch how the level works in the hands of a basic skilled player. I like action and skill based levels with a good flow and tricky situations over puzzlers, not a masochist though.

I will try each level at least 5-10 times and maybe some live / post commentary as well. Choose a level that you are proud of :) I try to be fair, but also honest if the level is frustrating me for one reason or another.

★-4 Casa de Bowser (3075-0000-006F-F5C6)

6D8E-0000-0073-2036

Rosalina and the Floating Towers
BBB0-0000-0074-53B1

D23B-0000-0074-9B2C

Follow That Shell! (7D40-0000-0074-487F)

Finally out of the editing software, here's the video of your levels:

https://youtu.be/ES-R7Ngrtis

I'm not a native speaker of English, but I hope you'll understand most of my comments :eek: I don't really talk that much in the video, but I liked playing all the levels and I think just watching someone else play your levels is useful feedback in itself. IIRC, there were no fatal problems in any of the levels, I just happen to like platforming and action more than puzzles :)

The first two levels didn't get much airtime I'm afraid, but only because I finished them so quickly. They were fun to play though, definitely following you guys.

Anyone looking for a fun and fair platforming challenge should try Neki's stage, it's easily one of the best user made levels in this style that I've come across yet, really really liked it, check it out:

BBB0-0000-0074-53B1

And here's two of my stages if you guys want to give them a go (both include a speed run challenge): 0671-0000-003A-121F + C664-0000-0047-837E

Thanks again for the levels (even you puzzle and semi-puzzle freaks KooopaKid and VandalD), I will definitely do this again, cheers!

----

EDIT: Added time stamps for the levels:

00:00 - 02:11
Oni Link 666:
★-4 Casa de Bowser
3075-0000-006F-F5C6

02:12 - 04:07
Choodi:
6D8E-0000-0073-2036

04:08 - 32:02
Neki:
BBB0-0000-0074-53B1

33:03 - 56:44
KoopaKid:
D23B-0000-0074-9B2C

56:45 - 1:04:40
VandalD:
Follow That Shell!
7D40-0000-0074-487F

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Here's a fairly short puzzle course. I've been super busy with work recently and burned out on course creation for a bit, so this is my first new one in a little while. Please enjoy and any feedback is appreciated.

WVW69ibovG82ogdkTZ

Always scarier at night..

(F382-0000-0077-ADA2)

Svafnir

Couple updates for www.mariomakerhub.com

You can now rate levels! We hope people actively rate levels they liked as it would make the database search much more useful.

We also added way more categories like Metroidvania and Speedrun for finding levels. Are there any categories missing that people would want?

Edit: Oh and we added a random level button.

NetMapel

Guilty White Male Mods Gave Me This Tag
If there is one suggestion that I could give people here streaming Maker Maker... get yourself a mod in chat during the stream. Mario Maker is the one stream that always seem to get out of hand in chat for some reason compared to all my other streams. People just go nuts and chat can get very rowdy. I've seen this happened in many other streams as well where the streamer comments on how chat gets out of hand whenever they stream Mario Maker.

Arynio

Been waiting since forever for my account to be validated! Now I can finally share some of my levels.

Sakon's hideout: save the mask!

WVW69iZAb_EtoqFPLK

Help Link and Lucina Kafei save the Sun's Mask before Sakon escapes!

ID: 05F6-0000-003C-CF4B

Pow your way to the top!

WVW69iZAbrciehV0lM

Solve puzzles involving POW and P switches as you infiltrate Kamek's Airship. My favourite level. Took me close to 15h to complete. It's long and quite tough, but rewarding (I hope). There are quite a few hidden 1-UPs.

ID: DE7C-0000-0038-AC0F

Reverse parachuting

WVW69iZAcbMsNmWOkz

Traverse the skies riding on Parabuzzies. Last time I checked, no one beat it yet.

ID: D4A3-0000-0037-FEA5

Caverna draconiana

WVW69iZAc2g8-fULQz

Help Charizard avoid the fire traps beneath the fossil dragon and claim his lair!

ID: 9788-0000-001A-35C2

Thanks in advance to everyone who plays my levels, I hope you like them! Feedback is more than welcome.

jnWake

Yeah, the part with the 4 vines. I couldn't make the jump between the 2 shorter ones and there's no other place in the level to practice or anything.

The hidden block was after failing the jump with the spring, I landed, tried to jump over the shell and the hidden block sent me down into the shell's path. It would be better if you just removed the floor and sent the player directly to his death, as anyway there's no way to continue...but at least this way the player eon't feel like the level is laughing at him.

Ah, I'll try to add some vines practice then and probably raise the roof there (and later in the level too).

Actually I put a 1-up in that block so that players didn't feel discouraged if they get this in 100 Mario haha. If you miss the jump you're definitely dead.

exfatal

My 4th attempt at making a level took forever to come up with an idea but finally did and think its a pretty decent one. Would love some feed back.
WVW69iboYX4ud8947d

The Nintendo Olympic Games
ID:2B33-0000-0077-8C90

Able to take different paths depending on if u pass the challenge

My nephew has several of these handheld maze toys called Perplexus.

51JJuItmd6L._AC_UL320_SR274,320_.jpg

ohNOitsRO has a stage :

WVW69iZjBkIdbOYmzn

One Screen Wonder
ID: 359C-0000-004B-D959

This reminds me of these toys because of every danger being immediately visible and contained to the single screen giving me a vibe of physicality and holding it in my hand.
We pass the gamepad around here and no one else has cleared it. It's tricky but not particularly difficult if you "go with the flow" on the 1st half as soon as it starts in order to hit the music-notes-on-the-way-to-the-door in a clean motion avoiding all the danger.
The 2nd half is easy using caution with the hardest part finding the timing on when to go and head for the drop to the door.

It already got a lot of love but I want to give more so that anybody that hasn't played:

:Motorbass
Cure the Wiggler!
ID: 283F-0000-005E-6609

Do it! Recreating a moving-parts inside a giant Wiggler is still the weirdest and most charming thing I've seen.

Speaking of moving parts... I really loved the Hopsichord. Stuff this well-constructed blows my mind. The bouncing piano keys you see from the get-go let you know the fun is on.
So Axiom has a new level:

Break the Bank
ID: CEF2-0000-006F-8CA6

And, it isn't the marvel of Hopsichord but is super charming in creating a place you are in so there is a really pronounced vibe.
Thematically, you start by seeing a wrecking ball as you scale the building that houses the bank and this remains the theme throughout as you solve the middle puzzle and eventually break the bank.
Enter here if you enjoy short walks on the beach in the gently-coining rain.

Lastly, another level that got a heap of love but is getting more is:

jarosh
Super Ma<>CTHULHU FHTAGN<>
ID: EEAF-0000-0061-9899

Mario Maker needs more Lovecraftian horror and this brings it. My favorite part was the fire-spitting-piranha-plant-clowncar harasser.
That little section of up-down-back-forth was the most afraid I was even though I never died to him I was always thinking I was just about to. I certainly died plenty of other places though :p
The oh-crap run aspect of the finale was a nice sudden change of pace after so much cautious puttering around the trap-filled nightmare zone of the overworld.

On that otherworldly note, the only level I've had time to make is:

WVW69ia-MwsjJo9aML

ruins of the shoggoth
ID: 9320-0000-006A-97E2

I wanted to mess around with the tile sets of SMW underground and see how Lovecraftian it could look. I also wanted to toy with making a boss-type encounter with some dimension-bending shambling shoggoths.
You start off at a forgotten crumbling ghost bridge that leads to an even more forgotten crumbling ancient evil bridge. There are some loops around if you want to explore and then the confrontation with the famous eyeballs-and-mouths-mounds-of-horror.
There are several different ways of dealing with them. Medium challenge I guess with a teeny bit of trial-and-error (I know some people hate that).

SirShandy

I uploaded a 3rd level:

CannonGate - Make your way past a series of Bullet Bill Cannon gates.

ID : 6332 - 0000 - 0077 - 5D1E

- I tried to make it more accessible than the last level. Let me know what you think or whether you had any problems with level.

image:
Pr1looQ.jpg

My other levels for those interested:
- Every Shell Counts - E562 - 0000 - 002A - 4F97
- Furious Goomba Towers - 0351 - 0000 - 0013 - 658D

Some levels I played from this thread:

Goomba Torture, to save or not?

8A1D-0000-0077-291E

Mario is going to visit a factory, but then...

This Level is about good and bad. Will you save the ones in need or do you like to see how they suffer? Its all your choice.

As noted in other posts, the main conceit of the level - the Goomba torture part - is not as front and center as you could make it. The actual mechanics at play in the level don't have a clear focus so progress in the level ends up feeling a bit disorganized. There are a lot of P-blocks given to the player, but it's not clear what their function or benefit to the player is besides the ones explicitly used for killing the goombas.

The factory/ slaughterhouse aesthetic is fine, it could just be better organized.

Really Big ROB's Rampage

(BD10-0000-0077-1BE3)

WVW69ibnDP8dbmMGI4

This is probably my craziest stage yet. I got inspiration from Motorbass's flight of the Battleship, which was absolutely brilliant. ROB is my favorite Nintendo character, and I always wanted to make a stage featuring a giant robot rampaging through the city. And thus, here we are...

I hope you enjoy this level, it's completely different than anything else I've done.

Oh, and shout outs to Motorbass. Thanks for coming up with the original idea!

I enjoyed the level though it is a bit messy since the platform is spread out so much vertically, so the challenge is not as focused and you could be doing multiple things at once ( which actually presents a interesting mechanic in multitasking).

Obviously, riding on giant ROB is visually fun, and I'm sure trying to organize the level around the fact that the player can go anywhere on the structure must have been an interesting creative challenge.

My main complaint is that it's unclear until you get to it, that a P-switch is required to progress. There are a number of switches that get thrown at you, so it's not evident until too late what they are needed for, though the idea of saving/protecting a p-switch until it's needed is an really interesting mechanic, it could be better communicated here.

A ghost ship and a ghost house. The second one with a twist in the gameplay. Entering doors will turn things upside down!

34QW9Vn.png

pDcs1UW.png

I played the Ghost House one. I feel that, though it played in the spirit of a ghost house, the normal/upside down switching concept wasn't managed well. I felt it was more trial and error figuring out the path as opposed to the switching being utilized in a more self-rewarding way for the player. I liked the choice that you kept everything in the level within a narrow horizontal view, so that the actual switching is consistent visually.

Also, it's possible for the player to get stuck since use of the p-block and super mushroom is necessary to get through some doors. It's not evident at first what the proper order of actions is, so you can get stuck on a part of the level with no way out if your only regular Mario.

Top Bottom