• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Wonder the best Mario Game ever?

Gamer79

Predicts the worst decade for Sony starting 2022
I say, Hell yes! I grew up in the nes Era and even played Super Mario Bros in the arcade before it hit the nes.

I have played through all the greats : Super Mario Bros, Super Mario Bros 3, Super Mario World, Mario 64, Mario Galaxy, odyssey and so many more.

Super Mario Wonder is the Eptime in the series. Level Design, Variety, skill balance, Graphics, silky smooth gameplay, awesome soundtrack, etc etc. The added social online feature with other players is also a plus.

Last edited:

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
It could be in the running, but it’s way too early to tell. It’ll never beat out the nostalgia and countless hours of my life poured into Mario 3 (see: my avatar) but it’s still incredibly good.

Last edited:

TransTrender

Gold Member
This game was giving me the same vibes as Kirby and the Forgotten Land, so it was a super hard pass for me.

I'm open to hearing some reasons why I should pick it up.
I liked Captain Toad and Super Mario 3D World

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Absolutely not. Possibly the most gimmicky 2D Mario, but the actual platforming challenges it presents are pretty mediocre. It's mostly just an ADD-friendly "HEY LOOK AT THIS SHINY SHIT" simulator where they jangle keys in front of you like you're 6 months old. It's a fun game, but not a great one.

Pejo

Easily, yes. New Super Mario Bros U was probably 2nd best despite the shit title.

*edit*

Nevermind, I thought the OP read "world" instead of "wonder". No, Wonder isn't the best.

Last edited:

Ozzie666

I'm really curious on the development time and costs versus the profits the game made, compared to AAA or AAAA titles. Remarkable game driven by nostalgia with a nice fresh coat of paint.
Nintendo just keeps doing it and succeeding.

I do think Mario 3 or Super Mario World or SMW2 for 2D gaming might still top it. The hype for Mario 3, what a time to be alive back then!

This game was giving me the same vibes as Kirby and the Forgotten Land, so it was a super hard pass for me.

I'm open to hearing some reasons why I should pick it up.
I liked Captain Toad and Super Mario 3D World
First few levels are overly easy. So you might feel like that.

Later the challenge ramps up a little and it starts feeling way better.

I was also like, 2 levels away from dropping it. But now am enjoying it a lot.

James Sawyer Ford

Gold Member
office space no GIF

LRKD

Personally, my most disappointing Mario game. I play all the multiplayer games with my brothers, and having no interaction between players is a huge L. It loses all the dynamic fun of accidentally or intentionally killing each other or boosting each other to get coins in unintended ways.

IAmRei

Hard to say...
part of it, i think yes, but other mario games are also having an edge, odyssey, 64, sunshine. It should be one of the best i think.

But as 2D, i consider it as the best <3

Funnily enough, i consider all, if else, almost all Mario games, always as the best practice in the game industry. Well designed and well packed.

Last edited:

nial

New Super Mario Bros U was probably 2nd best despite the shit title.
I really liked this game, I just wish it didn't have that -while charming at times- soulless NSMB aesthetic.
On-topic, haven't played Wonder, but I don't believe the hype. Albeit polished and good *family* fun, it just looks extremely boring.

While am no expert on 2D Mario games, I have both on Switch and NSMBU feels like a proper, challenging Mario game. Its immediately apparent.

Last edited:

nial

2007-2014 EAD Tokyo (Galaxy 1-2, 3D Land, 3D World and Captain Toad) was, honestly, the peak of Mario. EPD Tokyo seems to be going to a different direction with Odyssey, one which I personally don't like that much. Team Asobi seems to carry a lot of that same kind of soul, though.

Last edited:

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I don’t get why they can’t bring back the feather/cape. World gets top honors just for that. The worst is the NA version of SMB2. 2 was atrocious. I’d say World, 3 and 3D World.

I have Wonder but I haven’t gone back to it. I don’t even know why. Maybe that whole LSD level stuff made it weird.

Codes 208

3d > 2d so no

It makes all the nsmb games look like shit though so theres that. Its at least up there with smb3 as the best 2d games

Last edited:

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
It could be in the running, but it’s way too early to tell. It’ll never beat out the nostalgia and countless hours of my life poured into Mario 3 (see: my avatar) but it’s still incredibly good.

Agreed.

I played through Wonder recently with my nephew.

It was pretty decent, but IMO not on the same level as the perfect SMB3.

TexMex

It isn’t. But it was shockingly good and made me giddy about Mario in a way I haven’t felt in decades.

Daniel Thomas MacInnes

GAF's Resident Saturn Omnibus
I'm assuming we're talking about 2D Super Mario. In that case, it will be nearly impossible to dislodge SMB 3 and Super Mario World from the throne in the minds of most gamers, especially those who lived through those days.

For 3D Mario, the quality has overall been very high, so I don't know which ones would rank the highest. Again, I would assume that Super Mario 64 would carry most of the weight from the kids who were playing back in 1996. I am curious to hear the consensus on Odyssey, if it has changed in any way since its release.

I haven't played Wonder beyond the demo stations at Target. I do want to get the game, I've just been putting that off forever. I really did like what I saw in the first couple stages, it has enormous cartoon charm and personality that New Super Mario Bros U sorely lacked. I would like to see more. I only worry that the game is either too short or too easy, which might be good for younger players, but may send me scurrying back to Super Mario World yet again.

I'm just left wondering what you can do with Super Mario when the franchise has been built upon innovation, yet there are no new horizons to discover. Will the next 3D Mario on Switch 2 forge new ground, or play it safe with established ideas? Are there any new ideas left to discover, at least without resorting to gimmicks? Maybe the next 2D Mario ought to be a Metroidvania. Maybe the next 3D Mario ought to be a GTA-inspired online world.

Ah, well. I see Switch Lites selling for $99 on Ebay, one of these days I should probably just bite the bullet and get caught up on all those Mario games.

Alan Wake

I really didnt think so at all. Its fine. An 8/10. Enjoyable and completely forgettable. Too much flower dialogue. Having to pick 1 ability to equip sucks. Game felt short. Most of the Wonder moments felt like shallow gimmicks at times.

This. Fun but forgettable. My 6yo loved it and I thought he would never stop playing but suddenly he went back to Sonic and has never returned. Neither have I.

I really didnt think so at all. Its fine. An 8/10. Enjoyable and completely forgettable. Too much flower dialogue. Having to pick 1 ability to equip sucks. Game felt short. Most of the Wonder moments felt like shallow gimmicks at times.
This. Fun but forgettable. My 6yo loved it and I thought he would never stop playing but suddenly he went back to Sonic and has never returned. Neither have I.
Count me in the same boat. It's fun but no where near the top.

FeralEcho

As a 2D Mario,definitely one of the best. I enjoyed it immensely at launch and still play it regularly. And I don't even like 2D Mario much but this one somehow brings that same 3D Mario creativity and polish to the 2D plain.

Holographicman

Neo Member
It always felt too gimicky to me, the music and attention grabbing stuff like trying to impress a toddler, maybe I'm too old and cynical, who knows.. no that's not it, SMB3 and Yoshi's Island for me.

Top Bottom