• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Marioball

Bob White

A REAL super mario/monkey ball game would make me go out and buy a gc right now.

Nintendo is stupid and doesn't know this.

Memles

No wonder Nintendo's been able to focus on DS development...their big GBA Games are all being developed out of house (Pokemon, Super Mario Ball, Donkey Kong: King of Swing, Zelda) so their internal EAD developers have all the chances to do DS development.

The graphics look AMAZING for this though...definitely stunning. If I grab a GBA game this holiday season, I'll see how reviews go for this one, but I'll likely focus on DS.

Has a real SNES Super Mario RPG look to it, but better. Speaking off, a redux would be nice using this game's engine; a straight port would look bad, as seen by Donky Kong Country for the GBA.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
beware - as of e3, this was an awful pinball game. i'm not at all surpised that it's being handled outside nintendo...i would've guessed it was nst. although given that mario vs. donkey kong has recently showed nst to be talented, that assumption probably wasn't fair. if you want something along these lines, pick up the still brilliant kirby's pinball land for gb.

drohne said:
beware - as of e3, this was an awful pinball game. i'm not at all surpised that it's being handled outside nintendo...i would've guessed it was nst. although given that mario vs. donkey kong has recently showed nst to be talented, that assumption probably wasn't fair. if you want something along these lines, pick up the still brilliant kirby's pinball land for gb.

It's not NST...The developer is FUSE Games.

Meier

Damn, those are arguably the best graphics on the GBA. Whether or not it'll turn out to be a good game is yet to be seen but damn it looks good. I wish I'd bothered to at least give it a look at E3.

drohne

yeah, i noticed that. my phrasing was off: i now know that it's fuse games, but i would have guessed it was nst.

oh, and i didn't care for the prerendered graphics at all. i generally don't. although they look much nicer in that video than they did in the demo.

I can not wait for this game. I wish there was a similar type game for GC that could take advantage of graphical effects. This game does look really good for a GBA game. Should look great on the player.

Agent X

That has some really slick graphics! I'm a fan of pinball, so I'll certainly keep an eye on this game.

drohne said:
beware - as of e3, this was an awful pinball game.

What didn't you like about it?

drohne said:

Apparentely it was awful only to you since Gamespot and other publications named it the best GBA game at E3.....also

at the fusegames website:

"Fuse was founded in 2002 by the creators of the award winning Pro Pinball series, Adrian Barritt and Richard Horrocks, initially to create a brand new type of pinball game for the Game Boy Advance.

As Adrian and Richard were primarily experienced in Design and Programming, they approached Kevin Ayre to direct the Art and
Cai Remrod to help develop the company.

In 2003 Fuse signed a ground breaking and unprecedented publishing deal with Nintendo, to produce "Mario Pinball" for the Game Boy Advance for the world-wide market. Shown at E3 2004, it was received with praise and great acclaim.

Fuse is now beginning its second project, details of which will be announced in due course."

its a new company.....and they seem to have a very good experience with pinball apparentely....

jarrod

Banned
BeOnEdge said:
there were like 4 GBA games at e3. its not liek there were many options.
There were tons of games, they just didn't get any media exposure... poor Racing Gears. :(

fennec fox

ferrets ferrets ferrets ferrets FERRETS!!!
Bluemercury said:
Apparentely it was awful only to you since Gamespot and other publications named it the best GBA game at E3.....
I know words like "awful" and "shit" get bandied around here all the time, and I certainly don't think Mario Pinball deserves to be called any of those, but really I don't think many people would give this game a second notice if anyone besides Nintendo were publishing it. Same goes for King of Swing.

sasimirobot

Lisa Lashes said:
OK. I usually slam the GBA but that looked damn cool.
Maybe because you dont own one, Cheeky cheeky non?

Actually I dont have a GBA now either (fucking thieves), Im gonna hold out for the NDS though.

This game looks REALLY REALLY fun...

Yeah, it does look super fun!

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
fenekku-gitsune said:
I know words like "awful" and "shit" get bandied around here all the time, and I certainly don't think Mario Pinball deserves to be called any of those, but really I don't think many people would give this game a second notice if anyone besides Nintendo were publishing it. Same goes for King of Swing.
Well it has an extremely popular and likeable character as a marketing standpoint and it also seems to expand itself from the typical Pinball genre to include an adventuring aspect to it. Combine those two and it seems to be atleast worthwhile to look at regardless if Nintendo publishes or not (seperating the Mario character from Nintendo brandname of course).

Since Nintendo is publishing it, there is atleast a level of assured quality that is understood among the public. If a completely unknown company were to present the same game with an equally likeable character there would be some level of doubt in the company's skill.

EDIT: I'll be honest though, if it starred some unknown character like "Hetero the Gay Hamster" from an unknown company but the game quality were the exact same I'd be less interested in it. I loves me my Mario!

sasimirobot

TekunoRobby said:
Well it has an extremely popular and likeable character as a marketing standpoint and it also seems to expand itself from the typical Pinball genre to include an adventuring aspect to it. Combine those two and it seems to be atleast worthwhile to look at regardless if Nintendo publishes or not (seperating the Mario character from Nintendo brandname of course).

Since Nintendo is publishing it, there is atleast a level of assured quality that is understood among the public. If a completely unknown company were to present the same game with an equally likeable character there would be some level of doubt in the company's skill.

EDIT: I'll be honest though, if it starred some unknown character like "Hetero the Gay Hamster" from an unknown company but the game quality were the exact same I'd be less interested in it. I loves me my Mario!

best edit ever

drohne

the "table" in the demo consisted of several tiny, virtually empty screens. rather than anything resembling pinball, the game revolves around bopping the odd koopa or collecting coins. isometric viewpont doesn't really work either. kirby's pinball land and pokemon pinball worked because the fanciful videogamey elements didn't overwhelm the pinball. not so here.

Top Bottom