• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Monkey Ball for Xbox

Solid

Credit to manager.

Bananarama.
Super Monkey Brains

So far Sega's comedy monkey puzzler has only seen release on Gamecube, but Sega has confirmed to Official Xbox Magazine that the chimp's coming to Xbox in Super Monkey Ball Deluxe. The new title will feature 300 stages: 114 from Super Monkey Ball, 140 from Super Monkey Ball 2 and 46 Deluxe-exclusive boards. Thats a lot of bananas to collect.

But thats not all you get. Deluxe will also include a new Challange mode, integrated varying skill settings (beginner, advance, expert) into one fluid learning curve rather then breaking them up into independant settings. You also get an enhanced story mode, featuring stages from the two Gamecube games. All 12 Party games from Super Monkey Ball 1 & 2 will also be included.

Amusement Vision, the team responsible for the original arcade releases, is supervising development and a release is penned for early 2005

//Official Xbox Magazine

B E N K E

I knew about the PS2-version, but remembering my conversation with Sega Europes rep he hinted at Xbox as well.

It's nice to see Monkeyball love spread across all formats.

BuddyC

But thats not all you get. Deluxe will also include a new Challange mode, integrated varying skill settings (beginner, advance, expert) into one fluid learning curve rather then breaking them up into independant settings. You also get an enhanced story mode, featuring stages from the two Gamecube games. All 12 Party games from Super Monkey Ball 1 & 2 will also be included.

Can you spot the spelling errors here?

B E N K E

Making it possible for more people to play a fun game is stupid how? I still play Super Monkeyball and I enjoy it. I'm sure many PS2 and Xbox owners will do the same. It will also pave the way for a third game in a year or two.

Teddman

I don't think it will play as well on PS2 or Xbox. The directional ridges in the GameCube's analog stick rotation really help you make precise cuts in this game.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Teddman said:
I don't think it will play as well on PS2 or Xbox. The directional ridges in the GameCube's analog stick rotation really help you make precise cuts in this game.

Agreed. Still, I'm glad others will have the opportunity to enjoy the game, when they otherwise might not have.

Speevy

Banned
"All decent or better Gamecube exclusives from Capcom, Sega, or Namco will eventually be ported. This is the way of things. Screw you Nintendo."

cvxfreak

I'm sure this won't cost Sega too much to develop, so sales will be profitable.

But it's amazing how the GameCube is getting the short end of the stick. True, they get it first and have had it for years, but hopefully they'll get Super Monkey Ball 3 sometime down the line.

jarrod

Banned
Speevy said:
"All decent or better Gamecube exclusives from Capcom, Sega, or Namco will eventually be ported. This is the way of things. Screw you Nintendo."
Sad but true... Viewtiful Joe, Symphonia, Harvest Moon, Ultimate MUSCLE, Sonic, MonkeyBall... Resident Evil and Naruto seem to be the only big name JP exclusives Nintendo can hold onto. :/

Lionheart

It wouldn't surprise me if Sega announces SMB3 to be multiplatform soon... and to hurt the GC owners even more, they could even include online play in the PS2 / Xbox versions, but not in the GC version... :(

Solid

jarrod said:
Sad but true... Viewtiful Joe, Symphonia, Harvest Moon, Ultimate MUSCLE, Sonic, MonkeyBall... Resident Evil and Naruto seem to be the only big name JP exclusives Nintendo can hold onto. :/
Maybe it's time to sell your GC? Nah, Eternal Darkness is still exclusive :)

Speevy

Banned
Harvest Moon and Symphonia are both PS2 bound.

You have to wonder how much money Nintendo paid these 3 companies to create the illusion of friendship.

jarrod

Banned
Amusement Vision, the team responsible for the original arcade releases, is supervising development and a release is penned for early 2005
Really, this is what Sega needs to be doing for more of their older hit games... outsourcing ports. We should also get VF4, Shinobi, Sonic Adventure 1-2, Crazy Taxi 3 among others on multiple platforms... it probably wouldn't hurt to restart ESPN on GameCube either (at least NFL & NBA, which would both probably clear 100-200k each at the new price point).

jarrod

Banned
Deepthroat said:
Maybe it's time to sell your GC? Nah, Eternal Darkness is still exclusive :)
Already sold it (along with my PS2)... and Eternal Darkness is about the last thing I'd want to play. :/

Prine

Banned
I really hope this isnt one of the 2 new games in development for Xbox at Amusement Vision. If it is, its a god damn waste.

I might have bought it IF it was online.

Well, at least they're giving us online Spikeout.

ge-man

jarrod said:

The porting from GC isn't the problem--what sucks for Nintendo is that there is no equal share of the love. The best of the PS2 usually remain PS2 bound, but the the cream of the crop of the GC are prime canidates for porting. That's the point that really stings.

In any case, it's nice to see SMB is getting this kind of support. I hope this means that SMB3 is in the pipeline.

jarrod

Banned
Speevy said:
You have to wonder how much money Nintendo paid these 3 companies to create the illusion of friendship.
Most likely nothing... any incentives were probably in the form of royalty cuts (and co-development/co-advertsing deals for some). Microsoft's really the only company to hand out direct funding, Sony & Nintendo do incentive deals usually.

jarrod

Banned
ge-man said:
The porting from GC isn't the problem--what sucks for Nintendo is that there is no equal share of the love. The best of the PS2 usually remain PS2 bound, but the the cream of the crop of the GC are prime canidates for porting. That's the point that really stings.
Agreed. If GameCube was getting properties Virtua Fighter, Ridge Racer & Devil May Cry in return I doubt it'd sting nearly as much.

segasonic

Prine said:
I really hope this isnt one of the 2 new games in development for Xbox at Amusement Vision. If it is, its a god damn waste.
According to the article AV is only supervising development, which means the port might be done by a third party...

jarrod

Banned
segasonic said:
According to the article AV is only supervising development, which means the port might be done by a third party...
That's what I'm thinking. AV is likely busy enough with Shining Force and SpikeOut (and hopefully Monkey Ball 3).

JJConrad

Sucks at viral marketing
Aren't the SMB PS2 rumors a 1 1/2 years old? They sure are taking their sweet time with these ports.

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
ge-man said:

In any case, it's nice to see SMB is getting this kind of support. I hope this means that SMB3 is in the pipeline.

Yep that's what's pissing me off about it. I have a PS2 also, but a lot of games, i'd rather get on the Cube than PS2 because I like the controller more.

Well if this news is true then this Xbox owner is pretty happy. Just another great SEGA game to go in the consoles gaming library. Though some online play within it would be have totally perfect,none the less I'm looking forward to this package. Hope this news is true.

Top Bottom