• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Robot Wars Community Thread

Shouta

This is like 10x easier than Tengoku so far. Serious facerolling right now, lol.

Animation is like super-mixed bag though. It's kinda nice to see some of the enemies move a little more but some of the animations for the hero units is pretty bland. Mac 30/Mac F and Nadeisco are fairly bad IMO. The Mac units in particular are the worst outing for the series yet. L and K didn't have a ton of animation but had some really nice flourishes and little details in the animation that they did have while the SRWZ versions had tons of movement to them. This has neither, lol.

Bebpo

Banned
Nah, Tengoku was super super easy. Easiest SRW. I mean I did full scenario + all SR points and not a single SR point was tough. You can seishin spam from the very start, your real robots are always untouchable, you have map attacks from the start like DX, tank units and continous movement.

Whereas in BX I'm actually healing with and refilling EN. You know, Z3.2 was the first game in the entire series that I never needed to repair or EN refill with a support unit. By the time your units actually start running out of EN in Z3.2 you have EN refill seishin on a ton of characters and can just SP EN refill.

Also while BX and Z3 both have issues getting up ki early on, Z3 has PP skills so you can give everyone +1 when a unit is killed and ki stops being a problem. BX without PP skills...everyone is basically stuck doing really weak attacks until a few turns in.

In BX I've run out of SP a few times on my real robots and without concentrate they're getting hit and dying. Supers aren't the tanks they are in Z3 and if they get ganged on they take actual damage and die.

Unlike Z3.2 where you start the game with a bijillion bucks if you've played Jikogu/Rengoku so you can have good weapons/stats from the start, in BX early on the money is tight and weapon upgrading is super expensive and barely upgrades the attacks (like an extra 500 damage for 23,000). You gotta play with pretty weak units early on and that actually adds at least a minor challenge.

BX is still a generally easy SRW, but it's still way tougher than Tengoku. Jikogu is different and actually had some challenge early on with a few tricky SR points, Tengoku was a joke and far easier than Alpha 3 or even W.

Shouta

I haven't run out of SP or EN at all in BX. I mean, I didn't either really in Tengoku but I actually had to do something to get Bonus objectives or stuff in general. Tengoku isn't hard but you don't get to be passive. I don't even have to move things in BX and it all works out early on, lol

Bebpo

Banned
I haven't run out of SP or EN at all in BX. I mean, I didn't either really in Tengoku but I actually had to do something to get Bonus objectives or stuff in general. Tengoku isn't hard but you don't get to be passive. I don't even have to move things in BX and it all works out early on, lol

Really?

Using the concentrate seishin on the Macross units every round runs out in 3 rounds and then they're useless because they die in 1-2 hits and can't dodge well. Gaogaigar can run out of EN real fast if you're using Dividing Driver.

Shouta

Really?

Using the concentrate seishin on the Macross units every round runs out in 3 rounds and then they're useless because they die in 1-2 hits and can't dodge well. Gaogaigar can run out of EN real fast if you're using Dividing Driver.

The M30 units are kinda clunky but Alto doesn't get hit at all with Concentrate on, lol. I haven't used the Dividing Driver as much yet despite it being so good. Gai can just Protect Shade and then Rocket Punch most grunts to death instead. =O

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!

btw Shouta, in the game who did you got and stuff most of the items on? Since it was taking forever to get other characters that I was interested in besides Mazinkaiser just threw everything onto the MC. Which turns him into a 1 man army when I go tossing him in the middle of enemies which more than 50% try to attack him and usually wind up dying lol. Though I have the feeling am wasting a lot of exp for other units by doing that...

Bebpo

Banned
So now that BX opened with about 110k sales, at this point why is it that the handheld/non-mainline/lower-budget SRW games sell about half or 1/3rd of what mainline SRW games.

I mean does half of the SRW buying fans in Japan simply ignore all the SRW games that don't have high budget animation? I could understand before UX since the GBA/DS games didn't even have voice acting, but now there's really no difference between mainline and non-mainline SRW games besides prettier graphics in mainline.

Just seems weird there's such a huge gap between the two. If they keep increasing the budget/animation/sprite quality of the non-mainline games while decreasing the quality of the mainline games the visual gap will keep getting smaller and I wonder at what point the sales gap will change.

Or is this something like mainline games have more popular TV shows? But I don't even think that's true with stuff like Z3 which had barely any new entry series and nothing particularly popular besides Unicorn and Eva Rebuild.

but now there's really no difference between mainline and non-mainline SRW games besides prettier graphics in mainline.
Except there are, as pointed out by the people playing the game in this very thread.

Edit: It also came out too soon after Z3-2 and too close to MGSV.

Shouta

btw Shouta, in the game who did you got and stuff most of the items on? Since it was taking forever to get other characters that I was interested in besides Mazinkaiser just threw everything onto the MC. Which turns him into a 1 man army when I go tossing him in the middle of enemies which more than 50% try to attack him and usually wind up dying lol. Though I have the feeling am wasting a lot of exp for other units by doing that...

I've only maxed the MC's unit so far and everything else is not upgraded and I haven't used my skill upgrades either, lol. I don't even get to use my MC much since he's out of place at times.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
So now that BX opened with about 110k sales, at this point why is it that the handheld/non-mainline/lower-budget SRW games sell about half or 1/3rd of what mainline SRW games.

I mean does half of the SRW buying fans in Japan simply ignore all the SRW games that don't have high budget animation? I could understand before UX since the GBA/DS games didn't even have voice acting, but now there's really no difference between mainline and non-mainline SRW games besides prettier graphics in mainline.

Just seems weird there's such a huge gap between the two. If they keep increasing the budget/animation/sprite quality of the non-mainline games while decreasing the quality of the mainline games the visual gap will keep getting smaller and I wonder at what point the sales gap will change.

Or is this something like mainline games have more popular TV shows? But I don't even think that's true with stuff like Z3 which had barely any new entry series and nothing particularly popular besides Unicorn and Eva Rebuild.

Spinoffs never sell as much as the mainlines iirc.

why is it that the handheld/non-mainline/lower-budget SRW games sell about half or 1/3rd of what mainline SRW games.

does half of the SRW buying fans in Japan simply ignore all the SRW games that don't have high budget animation?

Or is this something like mainline games have more popular TV shows?

I can't speak for all Japanese audiences but I think both. Many have drawn to SRW because their favorite robots are in it and because of flashy animation. Z3 has popular mechs like Shin Getter, EVA, Gurren Lagann, Gunbuster/Diebuster etc and all of them have over-the-top animation for their killer moves. I mean, I can see people get more excited seeing Dix-Neuf throwing a planet than Giant Gorg shooting a bazooka in a PV.

I'm at stage 18 now and yeah, as expected, game get a lot easier at this point. You basically don't need to use concentrate that much anymore since Luca has "jamming" ability as well as a tank unit with its "120mm cannon."

Also Nadesico units are really good. As of now their combination attacks are the strongest attack and they are very good as a supporting defense unit because of their barrier.Their mothership is my #1 ACE right now. I basically gave "hit&away" to Yurika and increased the ship's accuracy and now she's a killing machine. It's great that we can change Nadesico's equipments right before the beginning of the stage so I can see enemies and adjust my units to suit them.

Parakeetman

I've only maxed the MC's unit so far and everything else is not upgraded and I haven't used my skill upgrades either, lol. I don't even get to use my MC much since he's out of place at times.

I think Im spreading the $$$ out on the wrong units as now that I have enough to be ignoring some, will do a bit better of a job focusing. lol

Its kinda crazy even with mazinkaiser's def maxed he still can take some bad hits at times. Kinda hope the OG mazinger z gets back in my party soon as need my main tank back D:

Even if we considered that to be true, I don't get why you're acting like that isn't a big deal. The presentation and cross-over story is like 95% of the reason to play the non-original generations games at this point.

I don't know about Japan, but I'll definitely ignore any game that doesn't have the series I want. And none of those series are "new" outside of Build Fighters. I'm not going to buy something just because it has new series if I can't stand the shows to begin with. My reaction to Z3 barely having new stuff was "Thank god they aren't shitting the game up with stuff like AGE and AO", not disappointment.

Bebpo

Banned
I dunno, UX and BX have lineups at least as interesting as Z3 imo. I don't really see the difference.

Now Z1 and Z2, those had amazing lineups. Z1 with Aquarion, Eureka 7, Gainer, Destiny, Turn A, Gundam X, Zeta movies, Big O, Baldios, Gravion, etc... and Z2 with Gundam 00, Geass, Gurren Lagann, Votoms, Godmars, Dai-Guard, Shin Mazinger, Mac F.

But UX, Z3, BX are all a step down from those big hitters and have more like b-tier lineups with UX having Demonsbane, Heroman, Linebarrels manga, Rean, SKL, Tobikage Ninja; Z3 with Unicorn, FMP novels, Gunbuster, Diebuster, Gargantia, some Eva; and BX with Rajin Oh, Nadesico, Gorg, Gaogaigar, Galiant, etc...

Give me a new SRW with:

Valvrave
Majestic Prince
Star Driver
G Reco
Gundam Build Fighters
Aldnoah Zero
Break Blade
+a handful of classic 70s/80s mecha series that haven't been in srw before or at least not in a decade

And we're back to A-list srw again.

Shouta

G-Reco and Break Blade are hella B-tier. Bad and Blah.

I mean I was really into Break Blade because the action is nice but man oh man that writing got worse and worse as the series goes on. I haven't seen Majestic, Valv, or Aldnoah so the only A-Tier one on your list Bebpo is Build Fighters, lol.

Valvrave is very entertaining. The plot is stupid but I really like their mech design.

Marjestic Prince? I quite watching after episode 5 or so. It's just boring.

G Recon.... possibly the worst Gundam on my list. I hated it more than AGE tbh. AGE at least has stories that make sense. G Recon is just convoluted, but I appreciate some people who get out of their ways to do research on Reddit trying to make some senses of overall story. But hey, at least Futari no Mahou is amazing!

Bebpo

Banned
The way I see it, quality of the anime story doesn't matter to much in srw. They can fix that in srw. Lots of good and new mecha to use and fight against makes a good entry. Good music helps too.

Gargantia was a good anime but it was dull in srw because it barely has any units and not many attacks.

Shouta

Gargantia was great in Z3 because it melded with the story so well, IMO. The animations could have been nicer but they really went cheap with it. =(

Shouta

I just realized that in one of my route splits how some of the series and the protagonist works with them. There's a certain father/family angle to the story. That might be a bit a part of the reason why they chose to go with AGE-3 instead of with Asem or Flit, hmm.

Bebpo

Banned
The crossover in BX is great. Like the first Unicorn mission from Unicorn OAV2, having Celestial Being trying to beat the Federation and Neo Zeon to rescuing Unicorn/Banagher using ZETA KNIGHT GUNDAM as their agent and then Setsuna's Coordinator ability activating the NT-D system to go berserk is just totally awesome.

And then the next map having MazinKaiser SKL surprise cut up the Dunbine bad guy's ship out of nowhere (and their backstory of how they ended up in Bastion Well) is awesome.

BX is reminding me that even though I like the production values of the big mainline games, all my favorite SRW games are the handheld ones because they're just way more silly and fun. I know the sales are so bad Namco is probably debating if it's even worth making these non-mainline licensed SRW games anymore, but I really hope they don't go away.

Bebpo

Banned
Didn't NT-D react to Setsuna in Z3 as well?

Nah, maybe after Marida, but Z3 really played stuff as authentic as possible because most of the time it was SO.SERIOUS. NT-D reacted to Marida like in the OAV.
I like that BX didn't even do the OAV1 "dette ikeeeeeeeeee" Unicorn vs. Marida first fight. The pacing feels a lot better, even though the stages can still be a bit lengthy and animation demo-off attacks take too long to play out.

I'm not playing BX much though since I'm burnt out on SRW, but when I do I enjoy it.

Bebpo

Banned
So I guess the next thing in SRW is gonna be if we get 3rd OGs on April 2016. If we do, I'm guessing it'll be announced around December unless they want extra hype and announce it at TGS.

If we are getting 3rd OGs next year, the biggest question will be if Rand or Setsuko appear, even if they don't get story and are just units like Touma in 2nd OGs. Because if either of them are in, it means 4th OGs will be starting Z's plot, if they're not in, it'd be a fairly good indication they're not going to include Z in OGs and will be rebooting OGs if they do another one (hopefully they do the former). While I'm iffy on doing Z's actual plotline in OG (because in the end it's kind of lame), seeing Rand, Setsuko, Crowe and Hibiki, Asakim with 2nd OGs level of animation would be epic.

Shouta

Nah, maybe after Marida, but Z3 really played stuff as authentic as possible because most of the time it was SO.SERIOUS. NT-D reacted to Marida like in the OAV.
I like that BX didn't even do the OAV1 "dette ikeeeeeeeeee" Unicorn vs. Marida first fight. The pacing feels a lot better, even though the stages can still be a bit lengthy and animation demo-off attacks take too long to play out.

I'm not playing BX much though since I'm burnt out on SRW, but when I do I enjoy it.

I'm almost certain that Setsuna showed up there and it reacted to someone else other than Marida as well but I guess I'd have to replay it, lol.

Z definitely tries to play it straight but it weaves the stories into a more cohesive universe is my feeling with the series. Lots of great interactions outside of the onscreen stuff on maps though. I feel like most DS games have cool things going on the maps but is really messy outside of there. Like, they just mash it together instead of trying to make one universe that makes sense.

Bebpo

Banned
I don't know anything about Raijin-Oh but I saw some picture of his upgrade and it looks worse :( Like it's basically the same except lame blue wings instead of cool red wings. Hopefully it's stronger. In BX my Raijin-Oh's armor gets eaten through quick if I'm not throwing hirameki or the 10% damage SP on every round. He's no Mazinger/Mazinkaiser in the armor department initially.

I'm loving him, and Giant Gorg so far (I like how Gorg reminds me of Giant Robo). Can't wait for Galien to show up. I miss the old-school shows in SRW, they're a lot of fun and super nostalgic. Z1/Z2 had some good ones with Baldios, God Sigma and Godmars, Tetsujin 28 and then of course Votoms.

I think every SRW should be like 5-6 new fresh series, 3-4 old school series, and 3-4 mainstays like Mazinger/Gundam/Macross.

Tsukumo

To people playing BX:

- no Gai, AT ALL?
- how much of Dunbine's plot get covered?
- Bebpo mentioned it but I didn't understand clearly: does this game treats dynamic kills as SRW L did? no dk for retreating bosses?
- which are the enemies you face the most? a lot of pv, captured youtube vids keep showing mostly Raijin enemies...
- does Galliant plot ever touches the "typical" Takahashi's philosophical tones?
- are bgms customizable like Z3?

on a side note:
DS games on 3DS fit the size of the screen or do they keep their original ratio like GBA carts on DS?

Bebpo

Banned
I'm only at map like 14 / ~47 (total map count with splits is about 55 maps compared to Z3.2's 109 + 15 rengoku + 21 DLC), but I'll answer what I can:

To people playing BX:

- no Gai, AT ALL?

Nadesico? No. Plot takes place after that point.

- how much of Dunbine's plot get covered?

No idea, but I think it takes place post-Dunbine? Because it starts with the bad guys warping into Earth after what sounds like a big battle.

- Bebpo mentioned it but I didn't understand clearly: does this game treats dynamic kills as SRW L did? no dk for retreating bosses?

I have no idea about this, but there's definitely a good mix of DKs and the cut-ins are GREAT like UX so far. The DKs tend to be like Z3 where a lot of time the added DK animation is before the actual kill instead of after, which honestly I think is stupid and DKs should just go back to being animations post-kill.

- which are the enemies you face the most? a lot of pv, captured youtube vids keep showing mostly Raijin enemies...

So far it's a good mix, Gorg enemies, SD Gundam enemies, OG enemies, Neo Zeon, Raijin enemies, Mazinger enemies. Every map or two has been mixing it up, which is nice.

- does Galliant plot ever touches the "typical" Takahashi's philosophical tones?

No idea.

- are bgms customizable like Z3?

You mean custom BGMs? I don't think 3DS games have those afaik.

on a side note:
DS games on 3DS fit the size of the screen or do they keep their original ratio like GBA carts on DS?

Original ratio.

Shouta

Can't really do 5-6 new series for each SRW, not enough series and too much money spent on making sprites, lol.

It should try not to reuse series more than twice if it's been in an SRW in the last 3-4 titles if anything.

Bebpo

Banned
Can't really do 5-6 new series for each SRW, not enough series and too much money spent on making sprites, lol.

It should try not to reuse series more than twice if it's been in an SRW in the last 3-4 titles if anything.

Well, let's look at debuts (if something hasn't been in a SRW in like 10 years I'll still count it):

Z1:
New fresh series: SEED Destiny, E7, Gainer, Gravion, Big O 2nd Season, Zeta Movies
Classic series: God Sigma, Baldios, Orguss, maybe Gundam X & Turn A because they're kind of old nostalgic.

So even if you don't really count Zeta movies or Gundam X/Turn A, it's 4 newer series, 3 classic series, then a bunch of mainstays.

K:
New fresh series: Star Gazer, GunxSword, Zoids Genesis, Fafner, New Jeeg, New Gaiking

6 Newer series, 0 classic debuts, a some mainstays.

L:
New fresh series: Eva Rebuild, Linebarrels, Mac F, Dancouga Nova
Classic series: Iczer one

4 newer series, 1 classic; bunch of mainstays.

Z2.1:
New fresh series: Gundam 00, Code Geass, Gurren Lagann, Shin Mazinger, Dai-Guard, E7 movie, Mac F movies
Classic fresh series: Votoms, Godmars

That's 7 newer series, 2 classics

Z2.2 doesn't really count

UX:
New fresh series: Heroman, Demonsbane, Wings of Rean, Fafner Sequel, 00 Movie, Mazinkaiser SKL, Linebarrels Manga
Classic series: SD Gundam 3 Kingdoms

7 newer series, 1 classic series

Z3.1:
New fresh series: FMP Novels, Aquarion Evol, Unicorn
Classic series: 0

3 newer series, 0 classic series. Mainly OG plot.

Z3.2 - doesn't really count

BX:
New fresh series: Gundam Age
Classic series: Giant Gorg, Panzer World Galiant, SD Gundam Gaiden, Raijin Oh

1 new series, 4 older series.

Looking at it, there's not really much of a pattern tbh. There's usually about 6-8 debut series with some ratio of new stuff/old stuff and then mainstays, sometimes with new sprites if they haven't been in a SRW in a while.

I think I like BX because it's got a good balance of classic robot shows, and the last SRW to really do that was Z1. Then again I liked K and Z2 which were jam packed with fresh series, so both work.

Maybe 4 fresh series, 3 classic series per entry would be good.

And there are TONS of shows left to debut in SRW because they've been coming out slowly lately and only adding a few shows at a time. The 2008-2013 era added a bunch of new mecha shows post Z2, but UX/Z3 barely used any of the new ones, and cell phone debuts do not count.

Bebpo

Banned
This would be my dreamlist SRW lineup for the next one:

New series: Star Driver, Break Blade, G Reco, Valvrave, Aldnoah Zero
Classic series: Giant Robo, some old school super robot show, V Gundam
Mainstays: First Gundam, Macross DYRL, Grendizer, Shin Getter, The Big O (because whenever they finally do Giant Robo I want a gattai attack with Big O)

This would be my dreamlist SRW lineup for the next one:

New series: Star Driver, Break Blade, G Reco, Valvrave, Aldnoah Zero
Classic series: Giant Robo, some old school super robot show, V Gundam
Mainstays: First Gundam, Macross DYRL, Grendizer, Shin Getter, The Big O (because whenever they finally do Giant Robo I want a gattai attack with Big O)

Escaflowne is my most wanted property in a new SRW game. It totally got screwed by only ever showing up in a couple Wonderswan games.

Bebpo

Banned
Break Blade really should have debuted in BX. It fits really well with Panzer World Galient's real robot broken down fantasy world.

bearbomb

Neo Member
I've only played part of one of these, but they really seem right up my alley. I love mecha and SRPG's.

Where is a good place to start?

I'd say Original Generation 1 & 2 for GBA since they are officially localized.

It'll teach you the game mechanics and generally how the menus work, which you can apply to pretty much every game so the language barrier won't keep you from playing the games. You'd just miss out on the plots.

Shouta

Finished BX. OK game. Ridiculously easy and the OG unit is super OP after upgrade. Its story was fine though I was hoping for something a little more in-depth. The animations for the OG unit are pretty disappointing though and the design is honestly a bit too busy.

Best animations in the game belong to the SD Gundam units. No getting around it. The other units are OK at best, I think. A few super nice cut-ins in there though.

The mix of series worked from a story standpoint but it just sort of ended on a whimper if anything, lol. AGE, Nadesico, and Unicorn are a pretty good trio as a story unit because of the similarities they share and getting SKL/Shin Mazinger together was pretty sweet. Gorg and Galian was nice together too. So some great cross-over moments but overall plot flow was weak.

Parakeetman

Finished BX. OK game. Ridiculously easy and the OG unit is super OP after upgrade. Its story was fine though I was hoping for something a little more in-depth. The animations for the OG unit are pretty disappointing though and the design is honestly a bit too busy.

Best animations in the game belong to the SD Gundam units. No getting around it. The other units are OK at best, I think. A few super nice cut-ins in there though.

The mix of series worked from a story standpoint but it just sort of ended on a whimper if anything, lol. AGE, Nadesico, and Unicorn are a pretty good trio as a story unit because of the similarities they share and getting SKL/Shin Mazinger together was pretty sweet. Gorg and Galian was nice together too. So some great cross-over moments but overall plot flow was weak.

I actually quit playing due to not liking the MCs unit lol. Think I might go back to UX. Liked those characters better. D: Though was hype having Mazinkaizer SKL back in again.

Bebpo

Banned
My only problem with BX is without continuous movement from Z3, sometimes your back and slower units get left in the dust as your front units wipe out the enemies before they even reach them.

Otherwise I still think it's the best SRW in a while. It's just a lot of fun. Great series, great units, great music, cool attacks, mostly feels fresh and not a retread. Only thing UX has over it is Demonsbane and Linebarrels manga storyline. The animations are way more stylish than UX in BX. Lots of good dynamic kills and great cut-ins. The 3d effects look fantastic and add a lot to certain stages/attacks.

I'm happy with how much they shit on Unicorn in this and practically skip half of the OAV series. I really am not looking forward to Unicorn appearing in every SRW for the next 4-5 years, but if they ignore it for the most part it makes it less annoying.

Shouta

I actually laughed at the fact they skipped so much of Unicorn in BX. Totally fine with it because we got pretty much a full version in Z3. Unicorn is hella annoying to deploy though.

Continuous movement is in BX but as I recall it's restricted to single units. It's better to pair a slow unit with a support that provides them the terrain or movement necessary.

Continuous movement is in BX but as I recall it's restricted to single units. It's better to pair a slow unit with a support that provides them the terrain or movement necessary.
That's how it worked in UX. Of course its not at all balanced when a single unit could destroy a pair with a single attack.

Bebpo

Banned
Yeah there's a sort of half-assed version, but it's not the "fly across the entire map in 1 turn and kill 30 grunts with a single unit" kind of OP it is in Z3.

Shouta

Well Continuous action was limited to once per turn in Z3 as I recall. I think it was Z2 where it was super busted?

Well Continuous action was limited to once per turn in Z3 as I recall. I think it was Z2 where it was super busted?

It was a skill in Z2 and activated just once per turn there.

In Z3 it was a tag tension ability, you could activated it an infinite number of times per turn. It is super busted.

Of course nintendo games are super busted too thanks to how the skill parts mechanics work.

Top Bottom