• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Street Fighter 4 Arcade Edition |OT4| Daigo Who?

MIMIC

Banned
Imm0rt4l said:
Ryu got nerfed, he said he was always interested in Yun in sf3 but he doesn't like 3s so never put effort into learning him. He also said that, he sorta fits the style in which he used to play when he was younger which was very aggressive. Also he thinks fireball characters are basically no good in this game. He went something like 2-25 against kazunokos yun(daigo was using ryu).

*barf*

Forget nerfing Yun. Nuke him. Up kicks -20 on block (starts up in 10 frames ^_^) And his combos become unlockable after completing a set of trials (must be done consecutively without mistakes or the game locks him in his current state)

Rocwell

macuser1of5 said:
Speaking of this Whomehara guy, I said hi to him at the airport as he was leaving Vegas. I missed the last night of Evo so I didn't know what happened. Felt bad man.
You sure that was him? I heard Daigo walked off stage and committed seppuku after getting eliminated by Lateef.

USD

I'm still stuck on Kara Police. I've probably stared at that photo for 20+ minutes total now. It's seriously so damn cute it makes me want to cry.

I have to go to EVO next year, have to.

notworksafe

USD said:
I'm still stuck on Kara Police. I've probably stared at that photo for 20+ minutes total now. It's seriously so damn cute it makes me want to cry.

I have to go to EVO next year, have to.
She was even cuter in person! And very nice as well. I wish I'd had a pen on me so I could have had her sign my stick. :(

I did get an Ono sig though! :D

USD

That pic is creepy as fuck.

UcP5t.jpg

Hi16f.jpg

Satyamdas

Banned
In the spirit of the new thread I'd just like to say that I have turned over a new leaf and will cease all trolling of the character C. Viper. While clearly done in jest it seemed to really rub a few people the wrong way, as if I had been making disparaging remarks about their mothers or sisters rather than a video game character. My intent was never to offend anyone or derail the thread with walls of text. I just wanted to pop off about a character I think is filled to the brim with herpity derp. And so to avoid pissing off any other players of other characters, and to avoid derailing the thread again, I promise not to troll any other characters either.

I'm old school. Like Mike Watson old, where if you weren't talking some shit you were doing it wrong. Dudes had thick skin back in the day. It used to be that you could talk mad shit about players or characters or have shit talked to you, and it was taken as it was intended, as harmless jibber jabber and chest thumping. But now in this overly PC world, where everyone and their mother is so petrified of being labeled a "hater", the art of shit talking is dying out. Too much estrogen and oversensitivity has rendered people incapable of dealing with a little shit talk thrown their way, so much so that just ragging on the character they play is seen as some grievous affront to their person.

I mean for fucks sake, I lost count of how many hugs were given out after matches during EVO. Not handshakes, muthafucking HUGS!! I know Watts was rolling over in his grave at the sight of that shit. Back in our day the loser stormed off without so much as a handshake, and the winner was taunting the fuck out of him for being a fucking loser! I hate the phrase "pussification of society", but sometimes it fits, and if the goddamn fighting game scene of all places is giving out hugs by the dozen in place of heated shit talking and rivalries, then I can't think of a better description for what is happening to us.

As much shit as Greg and I give each other, we both realize it's just in fun. It's dudes butting heads over a goddamn fighting game. It's ego stroking. It's what buddies do. It's not serious. And in the end I am happy to have guys like him to pop shit with. He's a younger dude but he has that fire in his belly for popping off and I respect that. Sure there are plenty of other guys too who aren't afraid to pop off like back in the day, but so many players and forum posters are from this new generation mold of limp wristed softies that it takes almost all the fun out of it.

So yeah, to avoid being the thread troll who derails the thread and riles people up, I'll keep my shit poppin to the irc chat and won't bring it to the thread any more. Apologies for shittin it up, you have my word I won't instigate anything like that again.

And to my boys Greg and Kimo and Beef and Fragment and Black Vegeta and Relix and Eissan, and anyone else who has a problem with dat Saty, I just have one thing to say to you all:

XftBD.jpg

^_^

It's not so much that I got offended by your trash-talking, since I don't use or plan on using Viper in SSFIV ever. It was the fact that you wouldn't shut the fuck up about it after making your point.

Same with Kimo too, come to think of it.

Kimosabae

Banned
Saty, that shit was so unnecessary. I don't take your accusations against Viper players as (totally) seriously as you think, despite the walls of text. The very premise that a person can play a fighting game "mindlessly" is untenable and I know you're smarter than that.

The only thing that irritates me is that some seem to look to you as an authority because of your reputation for being good at the game. So when I see an increasing adoption rate of that tongue-in-cheek meme, I'm compelled to act as a countervail to provide what I feel is necessary to keep it in perspective.

And I disagree with the very idea of bad-blood being necessary to fuel competition and shit talk. This is coming from one of the biggest shit-talkers there is. Only reason I never got into fights with Smash kids during my days playing that game was because... they were Smash kids. Call me pretentious all you want; but I'm all about inclusiveness... but talking shit is what makes competitive outlets from where I'm from fun. I grew up playing sports in ghetto streets and I can count on one hand how many actual fistfights I've been in over shit-talking since I matured into an adult.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Satyamdas said:
Bullshit stuff especially the last bit
^_^

Shut up! You use Dhalsim! You only press fierce the whole fight and hop around! UNFAIR! UNBALANCED! NO FOOTSIES!! AFUIWEFUIHBWUB8V0HVTG4

4ever Free Saltyamdas. =)

OT4 bad ass. I should spend more time in here.

*Wishes Fighting-Gaf had a t-shirt*

If haloGaf and PonyGaf can..

maybe a Ryu silhouette throwing a hadouken with the GAF logo?

Satyamdas

Banned
Kimosabae said:
Saty, that shit was so unnecessary. I don't take your accusations against Viper players as (totally) seriously as you think, despite the walls of text. The very premise that a person can play a fighting game "mindlessly" is untenable and I know you're smarter than that.

The only thing that irritates me is that some seem to look to you as an authority because of your reputation for being good at the game. So when I see an increasing adoption rate of that tongue-in-cheek meme, I'm compelled to act as a countervail to provide what I feel is necessary to keep it in perspective.
This is nonsense. No one looks to me as any type of authority, and I consider myself average at best at the game. I absolutely disagree that you can't play Street Fighter mindlessly, shit even as a Sim player I can turn my brain off at times and get wins. It's just that winning on autopilot comes so much easier to a character with stun, mixups, and damage that is off the charts. And you seemed to take my popping off about that as some kind of personal attack against you as a player.

Kimosabae said:
And I disagree with the very idea of bad-blood being necessary to fuel competition and shit talk. This is coming from one of the biggest shit-talkers there is. Only reason I never got into fights with Smash kids during my days playing that game was because... they were Smash kids. Call me pretentious all you want; but I'm all about inclusiveness... but talking shit is what makes competitive outlets from where I'm from fun. I grew up playing sports in ghetto streets and I can count on one hand how many actual fistfights I've been in over shit-talking since I matured into an adult.
I'm not talking about serious bad blood and fistfights being necessary to fuel competition. I'm saying that the very act of popping off and talking a little shit is looked at as some gross human rights violation these days. No one should be coming to blows over a game, but at the same time I shouldn't feel like a freak for talking a little shit, especially about a character in a game. I don't feel like that when I pop shit to an actual player while playing ball, so why should I while playing Street Fighter?

LProtag

Alright, I'm way late to the party, but post-EVO hype is making me pick up a stick and a copy of this game.

So... where do I start? What do I do? Also, who do I figure out how to play as? Haha.

Chavelo

InsertNameHere said:
Alright, I'm way late to the party, but post-EVO hype is making me pick up a stick and a copy of this game.

So... where do I start? What do I do? Also, who do I figure out how to play as? Haha.

1. Get a brawlstick online or locally.
2. Pick up SSFIV (used), then the DLC online. Or go for the retail version of SSFIV AE.
3. Play RANDOM for 3 weeks until you find someone you like. Do you like to turtle? Rushdown? Or do you want to win? :p

vulva

InsertNameHere said:

pick whoever you like. whoever seems cool, playstyle suits you or anything. It's not so much who you pick, rather sticking with them and learning their matchups. There's not really a wrong character to learn, but make sure when you find one you like, that you really learn them.

InsertNameHere said:

LOL @ Hitbox pic....

Start by buying AE. 40$ and has sfiv plus ae dlc on disc.

As far as sticks go depends on how much you wanna spend and how seriously you wanna take it.

If you aren't sure go for a Madcatz Fightstick SE or the Brawlstick which is easier to find but has that hideous wwe art. Those go for 60 but they are a good deal cause the buttons and joystick can be swapped out easily for arcade quality parts.

Or just go for a TE they can be found for around 90 if you search craigslist or wait for a deal at the madcatz store. they are listed at 150 and have everything top quality. No need to swap parts as they use real arcade parts.

LProtag

Well I'm in the process of possibly buying an already Sanwa modded SE stick from someone here. Didn't want to spend the amount of money for a TE because I'm not sure how deep I'd get into the game, so this seems like a good compromise.

I was planning on grabbing AE once I get the stick.

And playing random does sound good for finding out what character I want to play. Is there any resource that details how each character plays, like, what their playstyle revolves around?

Top Bottom