• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Street Fighter 4 Arcade Edition |OT4| Daigo Who?

USD

Just placed my order for Kayo's Re-born. I know I'd be paying more for import costs than the actual book itself (which is only ~17 USD), and the dollar-yen exchange rate is ass right now, but still, worth it.

Also, on the subject of character choice and player skill: all I have to say is that at my level of play (and the way I play), Fei Long is the least scary of the high tier characters. At that middle level of play, mix-ups and gimmicks are absolute king, and the only gimmicky thing I do is blocked HK/EX CW → Flame Kick FADC, and that's mostly about exploiting the mash on throw/DP tendencies of most players in up-close, near-even situations. I have been trying to step up my game though, especially with proper anti-airs and, more importantly, counter-poking with Rekka, which in my opinion is the scariest aspect of Fei Long's game.

USD

From Twitter (JP):
Gama no Abura said:
At this year's EVO, the thing that had the biggest impression on me was this scene. His speechless expression as he stopped shaking out of dizzy and began to take off his headphones left a huge impression.

From the end of the Poongko-Umehara match, where Poongko sent The Beast to Loser's with a perfect.

I think that's awesome about Daigo. I love seeing the hype from a spectators perspective but to see someone who shows so little emotion through it all is just incredible discipline. I will always have crazy respect for Daigo as a competitor.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Khal_B said:
Hope he comes back stronger that ever for next EVO. I'll be rooting for ya, Daigo!

To see that he in fact isn't a robot and thus mortal makes me more inclined to root for him during the next tourney.

Until then:

otwR4.jpg

It should be Justin who? Justin didn't dominate this year either, and NO ONE is talking about it, lol

I'll be rooting for Daigo too, he went about the matchup the wrong way (he kept trying to a lot of hail mary DPs instead of baiting and punishing). But he's still the best in the business in my book.

You know how sometimes you play for a while and decide you wanna leave on a positive note so you go a few more games winning a few and going on a streak but continuing on for some reason. Then you come to the realization that it's been 3 hours and you didn't win your last match but you've gotta stop because it's been so long. When you do leave you leave unfulfilled and broken.

I hate this game, gonna fire it up later so I can go to sleep peacefully though.

toasty_T said:
You know how sometimes you play for a while and decide you wanna leave on a positive note so you go a few more games winning a few and going on a streak but continuing on for some reason. Then you come to the realization that it's been 3 hours and you didn't win your last match but you've gotta stop because it's been so long. When you do leave you leave unfulfilled and broken.

I hate this game, gonna fire it up later so I can go to sleep peacefully though.

This happened to me just last night.

Haven't played in a week. But decided to fire it up for a few quick matches (at 9pm). My overall game was so off, it left me a bit frustrated and kept playing. Eventually I stopped (this was at 3am now!) because I could barely keep my eyes open, and I wasn't getting any better. Really off night.

LakeEarth

I've been there. Worst part is that as it gets later in the evening, you stop thinking and start losing more. And that's when the salt appears.

BadWolf

Rooting for Daigo as well. Deep down I hope they buff up Ryu and he goes back to him but I still enjoy watching his Yun (once he sets the pace its really something).

Poongko plays online all the time, he should get some matches in with him.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
So what were all the drama moments from the tournament? Is there a recap somewhere? I'm talking about in the matches and outside of matches.

Corky

Timedog said:
So what were all the drama moments from the tournament? Is there a recap somewhere? I'm talking about in the matches and outside of matches.

Yo doug, why you gone and got banned on us?

Saqs sighting. Maybe Yeb will drop by and say whassup.

I'm surprised I had 200+ posts in the last thread. Even more surprised by the absence of FindmyFarms. He must have committed a Deadpool suicide.

I played SFIV Volt for the second time yesterday (after the Sak and Mak update). Without the resistance of a button or arcade stick, it's so effing hard to consistently move and execute the moves.

LProtag

Alright so starting with Ryu to learn the basics and then moving on to find a character I like seems like a sound idea.

Are there any characters that will require a lot more of a time investment in order to learn how to play well? I don't think I'll be able to devote a massive amount of time to the game so I don't want to gimp myself. Is Makoto as hard to learn as people say?

InsertNameHere said:
Alright so starting with Ryu to learn the basics and then moving on to find a character I like seems like a sound idea.

Are there any characters that will require a lot more of a time investment in order to learn how to play well? I don't think I'll be able to devote a massive amount of time to the game so I don't want to gimp myself. Is Makoto as hard to learn as people say?
If you don't have much time to devote to the game, pick Yun. He's awesome.

Chavelo

_dementia said:
Haters gonna hate I guess.

He's the only character I can manage to go on winstreaks with. It's awesome.

I hope that everytime you go on a winstreak, that you think about why you won it and who you faced. And then feel bad about it. D:

Ohhh, new place to lurk in. Maybe soon life will get less crazy and I'll stop just playing Frozen Synapse and get around to picking up AE. I was considering just going straight to 3rd Strike: OE and Skullgirls but the Evo hype and the fact that Capcom actually cares to try one more 2012 balance patch is pulling me back in.

Was just watching some redemption suite action. This Korea vs Japan set had some nice matches, but I might just nominate it for worst commentary ever. Starts out with the racist talk and then just devolves from there.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=21UGCJRjrUY

LProtag

Haha. Looking through characters I seem to like Yang a bit actually. I also kinda like Fei Long too, but I don't want to seem like I'm just going for top-tier people.

Then again since I haven't played I don't know how characters will match with my playing style (whatever that ends up being). I also know I'll probably never make it to the level where tiers are extremely important/relevant, but still.

rivals

Figuring out a play style that suits you takes some time. I've always felt more comfortable playing shotos historically (I never played SF2 or 3rd Strike seriously but I played Ken in those games and would fare okay against friends etc, but as I said nothing serious) but when I started playing SF4 seriously back in Feb or March I decided I wanted to try to break out of my comfort zone a little and try to play rushdown. I played Rufus for a couple months and now I'm playing Yang and I can't help but feel like I still don't quite mesh with the playstyle as well as I hoped I would. I feel like I'm brute forcing it out and not taking anywhere near full advantage of the tools I have because I don't play aggressively enough most of the time. I definitely have more fun playing a rushdown character which is why I've been sticking with it, but I've definitely been considering messing around with Ken or maybe Sagat for a bit.

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
So any pics of chicks who were at Evo who are actually chicks?

InsertNameHere said:

Makoto's probably a bit rough for a beginner, but if you play her, just keep in mind that her game is often more about punishing your opponent for trying to get away from karakusa rather than actually landing karakusa.

LProtag

Lost Fragment said:
Makoto's probably a bit rough for a beginner, but if you play her, just keep in mind that her game is often more about punishing your opponent for trying to get away from karakusa rather than actually landing karakusa.

Yeah, I had read that most of her play revolves around that move and the mind games it causes.

USD

I think I'm going to pick up Yang. Every time I look over the cast for characters with similar strong points to Fei Long while having some distinct advantages over him (e.g. easier, more damaging hit-confirms) it always points back to Yang. I thought about Rose, but I don't like the idea of needing meter for basic combos. Thought about Gen, but I'm not sure I can do the character justice, and I'm not a fan of his specials.

It's either that or start using Guile again.

If I could just get one thing from Capcom for Fei in Ver.2012, it would be a +4 cr.LP. Take away whatever you want (I'm confident he'll still be good), but at least give him that.

holdbrillanj

Neo Member
Timedog said:
Why in the world would you want dashes to autocorrect??? How Auto Correct is a mixed bag, but how is doing it to dashes in any way sound game design? Is auto correct dash somehow exploitable in the way that autocorrect DP is? I cannot think of a situation where it would be a good thing.

You do know how autocorrecting works right? The game queues up whatever command (dash,dp,ultra++) you have been mashing, and at the first possible frame (when you wake up) it executes that attack depending on the current side of the opponent is, not where he was when you did the motion. Autocorrecting is in all figthing games, its just that most don't have crossup and that SF4 is so lenient on the input window.

Thinking about picking an alt that's slightly more offensive than Vega. Thing is my execution is trash, hence Vega, since he's a more footsie.

What's a good gateway character to get used to a more rushdown style? I'm thinking about Rufus but his gelatinous body disgusts me.

toasty_T said:
Thinking about picking an alt that's slightly more offensive than Vega. Thing is my execution is trash, hence Vega, since he's a more footsie.

What's a good gateway character to get used to a more rushdown style? I'm thinking about Rufus but his gelatinous body disgusts me.
Ken or Akuma

toasty_T said:

Cammy

or Yun *shudders*

Corky

Sigh... all this talk about picking a new character. I'm getting the itch again as well. The wonderful thing about SF is that certain things are rather fundamental, and are independent of character. Which leads to when you pick a new character, you don't really feel like you're starting from zero.

I don't know who to play :(, I recently tried sagat and he was pretty fun but after a while he became... stale or boring or something. Then I jumped to Akuma and I just don't know :(. Of course everybody wants to try out Seth given all the hype, and even though I dabbled in him in the past I really can't get over the fact that he isn't really suitable against random xbl/pc/psn warriors.

I feel like I gravitate towards somewhat, emphasis on some, unorthodox characters but I never fall for anyone in particular. Looking at someone good playing juri really makes me want to try her, but then I remember the vomitinducing matches I've had against scrub juris and I rethink that option.

edit :Quick Look EX : 3rd Strike Online

lately, my second alt has been Ryu. He's a basic, pretty solid character that relies on fundamentals and not too much on gimmicks. Using him kinda gives a platform/skillset from which to experiment with other characters.

I was thinking I need a 50/50 mixup character to balance it out. Maybe T.Hawk.

Corky

BotoxAgent said:
lately, my second alt has been Ryu. He's a basic, pretty solid character that relies on fundamentals and not too much on gimmicks. Using him kinda gives a platform/skillset from which to experiment with other characters..

I totally agree, whenever I pick ryu I think I just want a balanced/grounded/basic character and I really think he has those criteria. I don't know why but I really want my character to be "unique".

someone just said...they only pick yun...because he is the only character they can win with...

-stares with a look of pure disgust-

not because you like the char.
not because you are good with the char.
because he is easy to win with...

Now you can win tournaments yay.

oh and kadey's stream is back she's testing now

Top Bottom