• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Surface |OT|

Somnid

There's two headings "Tablet Computing Device" and "Stationary Device." The Stationary Device is the Xbox 720, the Tablet Device is apparently a 7" tablet that will launch along side it.

Totakeke

There's two headings "Tablet Computing Device" and "Stationary Device." The Stationary Device is the Xbox 720, the Tablet Device is apparently a 7" tablet that will launch along side it.

Oh, you're right.

So here again for clarity.

IMwLU.png

"Up to two hours."

derFeef

This is going to be confusing with the Smartglass.

Somnid

If the system is called Xbox Surface it seems like that tablet might be part of a set a la WiiU. That does not sound cheap. I'd be interested in a separate 7" gaming tablet though.

jagowar

If this was running winRT it would be amazing.... but only gaming just seems too limited. As good as surface is I would love to have something designed around gaming so it could run all those current games at max quality.

MCD

I am liking the new MS. Seems they are not afraid of another Zune and going all out with Surface.

Nero3000

Mine just arrived (after ordering yesterday morning)!

Doesn't connect to my work exchange server :( ....need to talk to IT about that, although im not hopeful.

Super excited to play with it fully.

Zutroy

My work got a Surface for us in IT to test and see if it was going to be better for the company than the iPad. My boss hated it so much that we're returning it after just a few days.

I didn't think it was that bad myself.

jagowar

yea i did, but wasnt there supposed to be map support or some kind of second screen that gives you your stats?

I think the forza horizon app didn't immediately come out with the game... might take a day or two before the halo smartglass integration goes live.

Actually looks like halo 4 might only do stats right now.... http://www.xbox.com/en-US/smartglass/activities. I don't have the game yet so I can't try it on my system.

jagowar

FYI there is an update out for the music app..... fixed all my stuttering issues and drm errors when a new song loads. It's actually usable now.

I caved and ordered the type cover. £60 after using the voucher. I'm improving with the touch cover, but I just can't myself being able to type accurately enough on it for it to be suitable for assignments. I'm interested to know if anyone prefers the type cover. I can't see any advantage except for the reduced thickness. And considering how expensive they both are, the difference in price is negligible. I might stick the touch cover on eBay now. Not much point in having two keyboards/covers.

EriCKY

Neo Member
I caved and ordered the type cover. £60 after using the voucher. I'm improving with the touch cover, but I just can't myself being able to type accurately enough on it for it to be suitable for assignments. I'm interested to know if anyone prefers the type cover. I can't see any advantage except for the reduced thickness. And considering how expensive they both are, the difference in price is negligible. I might stick the touch cover on eBay now. Not much point in having two keyboards/covers.

I can pretty much type my full speed on a type cover, with little adjustment needed.

eastmen

Banned
Surface Pro with a keyboard is heavier than a MBA or Zenbook Pro though.

the surface is 900g . Its 1.98lbs (and it may well be less since ms said the weight wasn't final) The mack book air is 2.38lbs/2.96 lbs depending on what size screen.

The type cover barely adds any weight and I can type better with the touch cover than I can on a MBA

I made the mistake of using the type cover first. Typing was smooth as butter. Then I tried touch cover and just haven't been able to get used to it. One thing about the type cover is if you are planning to fold the keyboard behind and hold as a tablet or fold it underneath and set the stand on the cover it doesn't really work too well.

The touch cover is much more portable. It is still also way better than typing on screen.

I'll keep both and swap out when it makes sense.

Totakeke

If you were hoping to get the cheapest version of Microsoft's new Surface tablet, but don't live near one of the company's retail stores, you may be waiting a while. According to the Microsoft Store's website, the entry-level version of the Surface, with 32GB of storage but without its Touch Cover add-on, is now "out of stock" on the US, Canada, UK, France, German and Australian sites.

http://www.neowin.net/news/32gb-surface-online-stock-sold-out-everywhere-but-china

After you go color, you never go black.

They really thought people would care that much about saving 20 bucks for a color eh? Especially people who are buying Surface.

MarkusRJR

Just curious but how does IE10 display tumblr on the Surface RT? I don't have a main computer so I'll be using it to manage my blog.

JaggedSac

yea i did, but wasnt there supposed to be map support or some kind of second screen that gives you your stats?

It is basically the Waypoint website. Once the game is loaded it should give you the option to start the Halo 4 Stats thing in SmartGlass. Nothing particularly impressive.

Anyone think the "Microsoft" pro model will be more popular than the RT model?

Its obvious that this thing, outside of all the review sites which are buying the unit with a keyboard, is being bought as a tablet and not as a laptop replacement.

So how big is the market for a Surface laptop replacement device?

Its obvious that this thing, outside of all the review sites which are buying the unit with a keyboard, is being bought as a tablet and not as a laptop replacement.

We’re looking at a slow burn here. The zeitgeist remains largely ignorant about Windows 8 software and hardware. It'll take a while for MS's $1.5 billion advertising campaign to sink into the minds of the sheepish consumer who many "tech" pundits seem to be feeding pretty heinous lies at the moment.

I bought it as a laptop replacement. Very happy with it as that so far.

OK...people need to start recommending 3rd party applications.

There are a few titles listed in the OP, but I (who will be buying a new tablet for Xmas) would like to have an idea of what additional applications are available for purchase.

I've looked for a place at Microsoft's website that might list apps but I haven't been able to find anything.

Kafel

Banned
Does anyone know what sort of games will run on the Suface Pro ? Will I be able to launch ... Skyrim for example ? And what level of details?

I quit PC gaming a long time ago and I might return to it with the Surface Pro.

Does anyone know what sort of games will run on the Suface Pro ? Will I be able to launch ... Skyrim for example ? And what level of details?

I might do this as well, as I've long forgotten PC gaming in favor of console innovations and exclusives. I don't think I'll have much problem considering I'll likely play mostly indie stuff, but knowing I have the option for some retail is always nice.

maeh2k

Skyrim is a bit too demanding for the Surface Pro. For its gaming performance you can look at benchmarks of comparable Ultrabooks (that are out right now) that have an Intel Core i5 ULV CPU and use the integrated Intel HD 4000 GPU. The HD 4000 is sufficient to play various games at low settings.

Here are tons of benchmarks of games on the HD 4000: http://www.notebookcheck.com/Intel-HD-Graphics-4000.69166.0.html
Skyrim on 1280x720 with low settings doesn't seem to run too well. Some other games like CoD or Fifa are very playable, though.

Kafel

Banned
Skyrim is a bit too demanding for the Surface Pro. For its gaming performance you can look at benchmarks of comparable Ultrabooks (that are out right now) that have an Intel Core i5 ULV CPU and use the integrated Intel HD 4000 GPU. The HD 4000 is sufficient to play various games at low settings.

Here are tons of benchmarks of games on the HD 4000: http://www.notebookcheck.com/Intel-HD-Graphics-4000.69166.0.html
Skyrim on 1280x720 with low settings doesn't seem to run too well. Some other games like CoD or Fifa are very playable, though.

Thank you !

Hoo-doo

Banned

I said this before, but please, please, don't buy an ultrabook or ultrabook equivalent with the intention of playing modern PC games on it.
You will get burnt, both in the figurative and the literal sense.

Kafel

Banned
I said this before, but please, please, don't buy an ultrabook or ultrabook equivalent with the intention of playing modern PC games on it.
You will get burnt, both in the figurative and the literal sense.

I know, I'm asking where the limit is.

If I can play some games on the side, cheap/indie ones and some others (Fifa, Diablo, Starcraft, Anno, Trackmania) then it's great in my book.

CNET Surface RT opinion piece.

His experience sounds like what I want from a tablet.

I don't want a Surface Pro for personal use
I am on the upgrade cycle at work for a new Windows PC next year and will likely be issued a Windows 8/Surface Pro device. However, I have no desire for one of these for my personal mobile device. As I mentioned earlier, I like my Surface RT because it is NOT my work PC and offers me a fun and enjoyable experience. I know that with Windows 8, the Surface Pro may offer me this same experience. However, the device will be larger, may need a fan, may not have as long of battery life, and is a full PC that I do not need for time away from work.

Hana-Bi

Jup. I also wanted to wait for the Pro first but now I have my RT and I'm happy with it. I think it may be a little bit to early for a "real" W8 tablet in the form of a Surface Pro. As long as desktop apps aren't more touch friendly why should I use W8 in tablet form when I have a desktop PC for the desktop apps and a RT for the Metro apps? And a Pro just for better performance of some metro apps is just to costly...

Top Bottom