• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Surface |OT|

Totakeke

Also a tip to improving IE10 performance.

I think IE being slow has to do with loading ads. There is a thread about this over at wpcentral describing this.

Open IE in desktop mode go to settings>manage add-ones> tracking protection lists and add the tpl of your desires. I added fanboy and easylist and its such a huge difference in browsing speeds. Everyone needs to do this asap!!

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1960867&page=4

Edit: Actually, here's a collection of tips.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1970464

Cipherr

Surface and Nexus serve the same purpose as OEM devices.

To make all these companies put out products on par or better. It forces them to stop making shit products and trying to put a premium price on them.

IMO anyways.

Its the truth. I don't much understand Acer's problem with MS Surface tab and Surface phone. The only difference between Nexus and Surface is that the Nexus uses the OHA manufacturers to make the hardware, but I dont see how that is a difference that ruffles Acers feathers so much.

Both times with Tablets and with Phones it took the Nexus devices to either establish or kick start a beachhead for better devices, and in turn more sales for all of the HW manufacturers. Surface will do the same. The W8 RT tabs have an identity now. A form factor, a silhouette of you will. Now the lost in the woods assed manufacturers will build on it and see some success, and of course, forget to retract these statements.

It's not cheap at less than $900. First of all, there is no way in hell MS is planning on selling the Surface Pro at less than $1100. Sure, I would love to see them sell it at $200 even and I'd buy it with no guilt known that MS would lose money but the reality that we live in has demonstrated that MS is not about rocking the OEM boat (whinny bitches like Acer not withholding). Just about everything and everyone that has mentioned their conceptual price for the Surface Pro has placed it well above $800 when making wishes. This is beginning to feel a little like the whole poisoning the well thing we saw with the $200 Surface RT rumor where someone says an unreasonable price just to have the final reaction to the real price build controversy.

Milchjon

You have to remember that devices in EU are never priced at current conversion rates, it's always closer to 1:1. Surface RT for instance is 479€ in Germany, which is about $612, not anywhere near to $499.

So if you add 19% sales tax to the price mentioned on the site, it would come out at about 820€ (Edit: Oh, I see it's 809€). Keep in mind, that's a few bucks cheaper than the 3G 64GB iPad over here.

IMO a Surface Pro for around $850 would be pretty damn great.

I'm not sure I'd trust some small German site to have the prices before anyone else, though.

Milchjon

The 64 GB Surface RT has 3G?

Nope. That was just for context, I was trying to say that it's not really priced out of the iPad range.

And yet it's a full PC, too. With an integrated digitizer.

810€ would be amazing, as long as the battery holds up.

DagsJT

It says 809 EUR incl. VAT.

Where's that? The only figures I can see are:

German readers are in luck though, as one retailer in the country has put the Surface Pro up for pre-order. Nodebook.de is the first to make the high-end tablet available for pre-order, and as such is the first to out the asking price for the machine. That price is a hefty 679.83 EUR ($870) without tax for the 64GB model, with the 128GB flavor setting punters back 763.87 EUR ($975).

Milchjon

Where's that? The only figures I can see are:

From the original source:

image20.png

Edit: There's a Microsoft Translator? I've never seen anyone use that before.

numble

Nope. That was just for context, I was trying to say that it's not really priced out of the iPad range.

And yet it's a full PC, too. With an integrated digitizer.

810€ would be amazing, as long as the battery holds up.

That's silly context. I would never compare it to the 3G version if it doesn't have 3G itself.

Milchjon

That's silly context. I would never compare it to the 3G version if it doesn't have 3G itself.

So I shouldn't compare the iPhone 5 to Android phones because Google Maps actually works?

You can't always go 1:1 for every feature.

No, I'm not fully serious here. I still think the pricing is way more competitive than I expected, IF it is real

Totakeke

People who are comparing between buying an iPad and the Pro is almost like the guy who wanted either headphones or iPad mini anyway.

Anyone plugged in a Wacom tablet yet? Should work, right?

My Bamboo Pen & Touch works, but it doesn't support Windows 8 gestures, because there are no Windows 8 drivers yet. Even if there were, I doubt Wacom would include that functionality into the previous gen. Gotta sell the new gen!

e: Oh, this is the Surface thread, not the Windows 8 OT. Sorry.

PG2G

Xbox Surface: Microsoft's 7-inch gaming tablet

The Xbox Surface will likely include a custom ARM processor and high-bandwidth RAM designed specifically for gaming tasks. We're told these specifications could be altered to accommodate an unannounced Intel SoC and that the Xbox Surface is being developed independent of specific hardware architecture. Microsoft's Xbox Surface won't run a full version of Windows, rather this 7-inch tablet will run a custom Windows kernel. Messaging and other tablet functions may be supported, but the focus is on gaming.

:O

Totakeke

What.

Christ. Now every single and little movement Microsoft makes from now on will be rumors of some shit.

It makes sense that WinRT won't be on a 7" tablet, but a gaming tablet? Nuts, makes no sense.

Top Bottom