• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Surprise! McDonald's to launch yet another new menu item: Buttermilk Crispy Chicken

Status
Not open for further replies.

KevinCow

Banned
It sounds like they're aiming for a more southern feel similar to Chick-fil-A, although they've tried that before with the Southern Style Chicken Sandwich (which used to be available nationally, then only regionally, and now looks to be discontinued altogether).

Wait, what? I just got one the other week! How could this have happened between then and now?

Well hopefully this new chicken sandwich is as good.

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?
Titanic_breaks_in_half.jpg

Bodacious

Banned
I'll try it once, but I can't imagine it giving Chik-Fil-A or Wendy's much to worry about in the chicken sandwich category.

Da_Bears

Neo Member
Will it still be a 99 cent chicken sandwich or is their slimming down of the menu a way to introduce higher priced items?

Saw those the other day, but I just stuck to my usual mcgriddle. Might try them next time, buttermilk makes for good chicken.

shame on them for getting rid of the jalapeno double and reeses mcflurry

I didn't parse this properly and was mystified over the thought of a mcflurry with two parts jalapeno to one part reeses.

Rootbeer

Banned
Reminder that the new McDonald's app is out on ios/android. They like to do giveaways or do deep discount deals when there are new menu items through the App (it works similar to the old app, which did this, which is how I know.) So if you're interested in trying it, check into that.

In addition to the style offers they have been offering all along (choose an offer, you show it to the person at the register and they scan the code. the deals refresh regularly), it now has a punch card feature. So for example buy 5 McCafe items and get the next one free.

I spend way too much time on these deals apps :p

Deft Beck

McDonald's is so dumb. Bring your Japan menu over here and profit you apes.

McDonald's in Asian countries has a different approach than the company's Western restaurants. While Western countries see McDonald's as cheap fast food -- and indeed it is, in Western countries -- Asian McDonald's restaurants are seen and priced as more premium experiences, and therefore can experiment more with the menu. Serving a smaller country such as Japan also reduces the amount of risk for these quirky items. Porting that over to the US would not be cost effective in many ways.

Note: This is an analysis based off of what I've studied of global markets for a college class. I am open to corrections.

Rootbeer

Banned
Are they going to do a wrap?

I need to eat more wraps. I fucking love wraps. I'm having a wrap attack.

This new breaded chicken replaces all their previous breaded chicken, so yeah if you order a wrap with breaded chicken it will have this in it.

I liked the Southern Style chicken they now seem to have discontinued. Hopefully this new one is good enough to fill that void.

KevinCow

Banned
CONFIRMED: The article lies! Southern Style Chicken Sandwich is NOT discontinued everywhere. I just bought one and I'm eating it right now and it's delicious.

Downhome

I had this over the weekend. It is easily my favorite thing that I have ever had at McDonalds. It is quite good. I went there for lunch today to get one but they said they were totally out and had to wait to get a new shipment. They audit he proven far more popular than anticipated.

Muzy72

Banned
fuck this

just bring back the spicy McChicken
In San Antonio they only serve the Hot n' Spicy McChicken. I didn't even know regular McChickens existed till I went to a McDonalds in Florida, asked for a "Hot n' Spicy," and the cashier looked at me like I was crazy. :lol

appaws

Banned
Had one today. It was very good. Crunchy crust with a little black pepperish taste to it.

I would still say that Chick-Fil-A and the Wendy's spicy are at the top of the fast food chicken sandwich rankings, but this is right up there.

It's gross and tastes nothing like Chick Fil a and does not come close to comparing to Chick Fil a.

Okay it's not gross but holy hell at that hype

MIMIC

Banned
I tried one the other day. Nothing spectacular. I was OK, although I definitely won't be hankering for one anytime soon.

Schrade

I've had this sandwich 3-4 times now and it has been really tasty each time.

The chicken has been juicy and the batter has a really awesome texture. Almost like panko bread crumbs or something. The flavor of the batter is good, too.

I am not a fan of how much mayonnaise they put on it though. Need to cut it by maybe half or just leave it off entirely.

All in all a good chicken sandwich. No "hot" spice to it at all though so if you're a fan of that you may think it's bland. Fortunately I am not a fan of spicy stuff.

How has fast food taste changed since the 80s? I mean the same items (whoppers, big macs, fries, etc.)

Back in the day McDonald's used to fry their hamburgers. They also used to fry their fries in beef broth (which gave them a much better flavor, imo).
But due to health concerns, they changed the way they cook their food.

KevinCow

Banned
Oh yeah, I tried this a little while ago and it wasn't as good as the Southern Style.

Southern Style is the best.

kris.

Banned
They're apparently doing pulled pork sandwiches, too. Saw a sign the other day. No thank you, good sirs.

They're desperate to copy the Chik-Fil-A.

Hopefully they get it pretty close so I can get my fix on Sundays when Chik-Fil-A cravings always hit.

Dicer

Banned
Lol all the chik-fil-a in here, it's a tasty sammich, at least the 2 I've had were...

I can't compare to Chik because I don't support homophobic chicken.

mm04

My sister brought home one of these the other day when I was visiting. I thought it was a damn McChicken because it had the same shitty bun. I told her that ain't the bun it's supposed to come with...what a rip.

ACSwift

Just tried it, I dont know if it was the McDonalds I went to specifically or its all like this, but man the chicken patty was really thin and dry.

Bry0

I had this a few weeks ago and it was alright, but I just didn't get much flavor from it.
Compared to chick fil a it was kind of bland tasting. Not horrible, but not great.

I'll give it another shot soon, maybe it was just a fluke.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom