• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Switch is nearing its 6th month of release, come post your thoughts and impressions!

True Fire

I'm very happy with my Switch, but I'm starved for meaty games. JRPGs in particular. I hope SMT5 comes out next year. I logged a couple hundred hours in SMT4 and 4A.

(I played Disgaea 5 for hundreds of hours on PS4. Not buying it again for 79.99 Canadian)

BFIB

I sort of fell out of Nintendo shortly into the Wii U launch. I picked one up after Mario 3D world released, I had a lot of fun playing that and DKC, but I hardly used it after. I ended up giving it to my nephew, and really stopped following Nintendo for a few years.

When the Switch was announced, I'm pretty sure I even made a few posts about how I feel like I've "outgrown" Nintendo, and really did not give the system a glance at all. Fast forward to the whole reveal event, a buddy of mine kept telling me that I need to watch the Zelda footage prior to the reveal. I did, and ended up preordering the console when it went live on Amazon. I still didn't have a strong desire for the console, but I figured knowing Nintendo, its better to preorder and cancel later, then to not preorder at all.

I have had more fun w/ the Switch this year, then I have had with any console since the SNES. BoTW as always, is one of the greatest games I have ever played. I thought for sure, I'm going to play BoTW, then the console is going to sit. My wife picked me up Splatoon at the store, I kind of dimissed it on the Wii U. I think I've logged about 30 hrs on that now? I can't stop playing it, its a blast. Mario Kart Deluxe is incredible too, and I haven't even got ARMS yet, not to mention sinking another 200 hrs in Skyrim on the go.

Plus, my kid is 3, and she's really starting to get into video games. She tells me "I want to play Zelda daddy." and now w/ Sonic Mania she tells me to "go fast". That alone made the purchase worth it.

vaderise

Overall feel and usefulness of the console had been top notch for me. Battery life of the console is the only downside i can point my fingers at. Joycons felt a bit weird after so many hours on DS4 but i got used to them preety quick.

What made me love the console was a moment i had with my brother, let me summarize it:
We we're waiting for our plane which got delayed. My brother ( who is 10) was bored as hell but i was keeping my Switch at my backpack. I took it out, gave one Joycon to him and voila! Portability with instant two player experience on the go is a delight.

What i played so far:

Zelda BotW
: One of the best open worlds ever created, i'm amazed to attention to detail in this game. I don't call it the ''perfect video game'' like many people do but it's still superb.

1-2 Switch: I got this free with my console, after spending an hour with it i traded my copy.
It's not bad, it's just so bland. I can't believe Nintendo is selling this for 60$

Splatoon 2: It's fun. Great time spender. I'm not a huge fan of Splatoon 2 like many of it's userbase but it kept me busy for decent amount of time. I enjoyed it's singleplayer a lot too, platforming and shooting was super fine and it had some very nice boss ideas. Still playing 3-4 matches per day.

Overcooked: Very fun couch multiplayer game. One of the titles where tabletop mode with split joycons shine.

Thumper: Holy shit, what a title! This literally blew my mind when i first played it. Switch's HD Rumble makes it so immersive that i can't play Thumper anywhere else than VR. Every Switch owner should get this. It's my second favorite title on Switch, right next to Zelda.

Sonic Mania: I'm not a fan of any Sonic game but this one's level design and insane boss fights ( Spoiler:
That Puyo Puyo one omg
) got me hooked. Everyone can easily see this is a game crafted with passion.

So far i'm very content with my purchase, it made me not touch my PS4 which i primarily game on for 2 months.

I'm planning to get Mario Kart, Snipperclips and Rabbids.

Zelda was one of the best games ever. The hardware is solid.

Have barely played it the system after I beat Zelda....just sitting there in sleep mode 99% of the time the last few months.
Same. But, I do really want to play it! Thankfully Mario and Rabbids is later this week.

It's OK. I think the hybrid console idea is conceptually awesome but in practice, it just means concessions for both modes (lack of AA in general, low resolutions for handheld, shaky performance for docked, etc).
Looking forward to playing it again on Tuesday, though.

It is hitting a bit of a dryspell for me at the moment.

NINTENDO please do something regarding Virtual Console, it is bonkers that I keep getting notifications for WiiU VC deals in my email and I am playing via Switch... killing me smalls.

But system has been great, released with a juggernaut in BotW and MK8 D has been fun as well. Awaiting Mario x Rabbids and Odyssey probably XB Chronicles too if I can ever understand that damn combat system...

Just want some more of the RPG goodness that is present on the 3DS and it will be the only system I play.

bionic77

The concept is perfect for how I play games in 2017. And Nintendo's content has been amazing for the first 6 months.

Nintendo nailed it.

I love it and the output of games has been great considering I play on PC a lot. But on an OS level they are dragging their heels adding meaningful and great features. One big one is PNG screenshots. Got these 1080p games and shit compression on screenshots.

goldenpp72

Its like we forgot the ps2s first year in the U.S.

The PS2 had a solid first year, but it didn't really have anything of the caliber of Zelda or likely Mario, let alone both in the same year. As usual taste is a thing, but quality vs quantity is also a thing. People mention stuff like AC4 and Silent hill 2 a lot (were those year 1?), but I consider those very normal 'good' games compared to the likes of say, RE4, BOTW, Mario Galaxy, or whatever.

Though if someone prefers Ps2 first year over Switch that's not a crazy opinion, I just don't think the reverse is crazy either :p

AaronMT86

The Dock still sucks. When I place my Switch into it it won't charge unless I wiggle the unit a bit until the green LED is lit.

Qasiel

Absolutely love my Switch. It's replaced my PS4 as my main console these days, with games such as Zelda, Shovel Knight, MK8 and now Sonic Mania giving me enough entertainment as to never want to put it down.

The fact that it's portable means I can take it into work easily and carry on wherever I left my previous gaming session. I've also taken it places I'd usually take my 3DS and showed it to people who have either gone out and purchased one, or expressed a massive interest in doing so.

13ruce

Banned
With all games combined i already have around 500 hours on it got the Switch day one it's my new primary console. It has been ps3-ps4 the last 6-8 or so years.

Loving it my new all time favorte Nintendo console no kidding.

240 hours in Zelda.
140 in Splatoon.
40 in Mario Kart 8 DX.
35 in Sonic Mania.
30 in arms.

11/10.

Mithos

Gold Member
Too few games for my liking, which makes it too expensive for what it currently offer. Oh, and available for anyone that wants one (Sweden).

Wil348

Probably the best console launch year I have experienced. Initially I was fearing the worst with the extremely lacklustre launch day offering but Nintendo proved me wrong by having something pretty much every month. I haven't been able to afford many PS4 games actually, no thanks to the Switch haha. And there's still quite a few titles left to come for this year.

I use my Switch on a daily basis, even if it's only for a few minutes, it's great to just pick it up and play something like Mario Kart, Minecraft, Splatoon or Sonic Mania for short bursts. I mostly use it in undocked mode as the main selli point for me was the ability to play console-calibre games on the go. Docked mode is still great though for longer and more intense play sessions.

If I had one gripe about the system though, it would be the online. The infrastructure at least feels stable which is good but it's incredibly barebones. The online lounge is a bit of a joke too, so any time I want to communicate with friends I will just use Discord. I should not have to though, and it boggles the mind why they could not have at least a messaging system in place. But otherwise, I love my Switch and I'm so glad I bought one at launch despite being skeptical initially.

Sadist

Its great. I've played tons of Breath of the Wild and Splatoon 2 on it. In two days we'll have Mario + Rabbids, that will be fun.

And I'm interested in Fire Emblem Warriors, Odyssey and Xenoblade 2. Good times.

qko

I feel the last couple of months have been a little dry in terms of variety (Splatoon2 has done well in holding now the fort, but not much else lately), but I am looking forward to the end of the year with FIFA, Odyssey, Xenoblade and even Skyrim has me curious if the price is right.

The are a lot of game I'm "curious" about like the Rabbids game. If Nintendo can keep pushing their games as a first party and can secure the third parties with sports like FIFA, NBA 2k and R.B.I. Baseball (sadly the only multiplat baseball game) along with the staples like Rocket Leagues and Skyrims, Nintendo has scored a victory. Not THE victory of the console warzzzz, but a victory in that they can still push out a console with mass appeal, which was the worry after the Wii U and the slow start to the 3DS.

Same. But, I do really want to play it! Thankfully Mario and Rabbids is later this week.

I really want to as well but all the "tentpole" games coming out for it lately are really stuff I'm not into like Splatoon. Mario x Rabbids looks ok, not sure if I'll like it. Odyssey is the next game I know I'll love.

The software output is good but it's very hit or miss depending on what you're into so if it's a miss for you then the console is gonna pick up dust for quite a while like it has for me.

I am impressed that so many dont have anything to play after Zelda. Must be a very narrow taste in games?

I actually have extremely broad taste. There really just isn't that much to get that you can't get elsewhere or is better than stuff available elsewhere.

Pachinko

I bought one a couple months ago because they were so hard to find and I want one when Mario comes out but ... there really isn't much on it ? It's a cool toy I suppose but I haven't found a reason to play something on it that isn't exclusive to it.

CPCunha

Day 1 buyer here... loooong time Nintendo supporter.

I loved the WiiU for what it was, a Nintendo machine... awesome first party titles and tons of memorable experiences... but the DREAD around the system kinda bugged me. The constant talk of failure and how 3rd party abandoned ship early on got to me...

...then comes the switch and it's weird but the positivity around the platform lifts this gloomy feel and hopefully third party companies feel the same. I don't really care about multi-plat stuff, having a game pc on the side... what i want is for the switch to have a healthy user base that justifies stuff like Ubi's MarioXRabbits thing (not even sure the game is good or not, but the fact that it EXISTS is such a miracle). After a long time, it feels good to be a Nintendo fan. I use my system every day, both at home and when i'm out. Friends are really interested and a couple already secured theirs, which i consider a victory since i live in Brasil.

The present is good, but the future is even brighter!
"=0)

I like the console, it has a lot of potential but I really don't play it much. I played BOTW until I had the divine beasts then just kinda fell off. I also have MK8, Splatoon and Sonic Mania (that I picked up last week) yet I still rarely touch it.

Hoping Mario x Rabbids gets some decent reviews and draws me back in.

It has been the summer as well, I do tend to play much less (and when i do, it's stuff I can have a quick ten minute round of).

Mark1

I've limited my gaming purchases with the Switch, but everything I've bought so far has been nothing short of spectacular. It's still my only gaming device used this year. I'll use a similar system for the games I've got the system for:

Games

Zelda: S+

Exactly the same as your opinion here OP, the game is a masterpiece. It is a technical masterpiece running a massive open world Zelda on a portable. The perfect launch title.

Mario Kart 8D: B+

Like with Zelda, this game is beautiful to play on that high quality screen. Don't hold it as high regard purely because I've played it a lot Wii U and don't have that console anymore.

Splatoon 2: A-

Never got into the original game, but the sequel has insanely addictive online modes that makes me enjoy playing this most evenings after work. Great artsyle and so much fun. The methods to unlock the different modes felt very draining though, and the online connectivity needs more work.

Sonic Mania: A

This game is remarkable, has sparked my reasons as to why I loved Sonic in the first place. Everything about it describes the word fun. Alongside the amazing soundtrack and artsyle. My favourite platformer (likely until Mario Odyssey is out in October)

Super BomberMan: B-/C+

Great purely for its local and online multiplayer system, not a fan of the story system.

Christmas, 2018 and beyond:

Waiting on Mario*Rabbids, Mario, Forces (maybe) and Xenoblade 2, they all look like great games. And then Metroid Prime 4, Pokemon, Fire Emblem, etc. on the way next year and beyond.

System.

Online: D+

It's been a mostly great experience with the device itself, but it has its flaws. At this point most of the negatives are towards the online features. I won't deny that the online app is flawed, no point to have it working alongside what is a perfectly designed console. It's good ergonomics to expect anyone to carry two devices for an online experience.

And the lack of VC is frustrating, and not buying a SNES Classic or whatever just to play these games.

Hardware:
B+

Sleek, easy to carry about, joycons are very technically impressive. Not much to say here. Need to get the left one fixed one through, that problem is becoming more frustrating and evident when playing games dependent on quick responses these days and it just stops responding.

Also my hands (not a common case for me) sometimes cramp up when playing the Switch in bed.

Nameless

Love it. It was the only machine I played for a month straight after I got it. BOTW and Splatoon 2 will both be on my GOTY list at the end year of the year and I'm still hyped for Xenoblade and Mario.

As suspected the portability feature hasn't been that major for me, but I like that it's there and playing Zelda in bed or on the shitter or in my car on lunch break is I great when I do play undocked.

Also the Pro Controller is ridiculously comfortable, to the point that it will be a much bigger factor than gaming go on the go when opting for the Switch versions of multiplats.

hd5igFP.jpg

Really happy, personally. I do not use the Switch for its portability except perhaps once a month when I do my monthly infusion at the hospital. Though it's easier to just use my phone in that situation because one of my arms is sort of occupied.

Zelda is definitely the biggest game on the platform for me, I really loved it and I hope we see more like it in the future. Mario + Rabbids will be here on Tuesday and I'm very excited for that as well. I'm glad Nintendo managed to work in so many exclusives this year with Xenoblade Chronicles 2 and Mario Odyssey included. People who say we don't get enough for the Switch are silly.

I am a bit tired of the port beggars though. I feel like the Switch community on this forum is rather toxic and needs to buy other platforms or something so they stop focusing so much on whining about the lack of a release for their favorite platform in every game release thread.

Its become my primary console. Other than Uncharted Lost Legacy which i finished this week. My PS4 has been collecting dust since Horizon.

Just a fantastic system. And its hard to believe with a few more updates it can get even better.

Love it. It's a very slick, minimalistic piece of kit that does what it sets out to do extremely well. Could do with a few more O/S features and a better organised eshop, but other than that, I don't really have any complaints. I've been pleasantly surprised at the quality and regularity of eshop releases. There has been something worth at least considering most weeks. I've played way more in handheld mode than TV mode, with the exception of Zelda.

Jolkien

Haven't touched mine since I stopped playing BotW about 80% through. I had no intention of using it too much since I use my PS4 pro and PC a lot more. Overall I don't like the console a whole lot, no way to easily play with headphone while docked. Zelda was quite blurry on my TV so I'll have to see if other titles will do the same.

It's collecting dust until Mario Odyssey.

Venfayth

Zelda was fun, splatoon was ok, when's Mario?

I am a bit tired of the port beggars though. I feel like the Switch community on this forum is rather toxic and needs to buy other platforms or something so they stop focusing so much on whining about the lack of a release for their favorite platform in every game release thread.

Are you talking about 3DS games?

DESTROYA

Love it so far and using it all the time in portable mode, it's almost exactly what I was looking for in new handheld and with games like BOTW showcasing what the system can only mean good things ahead.

True Fire

I am impressed that so many dont have anything to play after Zelda. Must be a very narrow taste in games?

Games like Shovel Knight and Thumper are great, but they're not exclusive to Switch and they're not the reason why people buy consoles.

I don't blame people for wanting more BoTW types of experiences. Nintendo created that expectation when they launched with it. Six months later, almost everyone has finished and they're itching for more.

I like my Switch, yet there are four things I'd like Nintendo to improve:
- Digital games should be way cheaper. I don't get why digital games are (even after months) way more expensive than physicial copies
- VC. Nintendo just needs to say something about this
- Ditch that whole Switch-mobile app and make it all run on the Switch itself.
- More AAA-games (especially from Third party-publisher). Nintendo can influence that only so much, but it would be great to improve on that.

vern

I still am playing zelda 5 months later. Haven't beat it. Nearly there. The game is massive and amazing and don't know people can complain there is nothing to play. I have a bunch of games I aim to get as soon as I finish.

Switch in general is awesome. So many flights have been helped tremendously by a fucking console in my hands. Mind blowing really.

I enjoy the switch. My time with handheld mode and docked mode is about 50/50. I know why but it is still crazy that a ton of people cannot get their hands on this wonderful system. Like many I am just waiting for more games to come to it. Mario Odyssey, FE Warriors and Xenoblade 2 is what I am really waiting for.

jts

...hate me...
Love it to bits, but right now I feel I'm experiencing the calm before the storm that is going to be the fall/holidays.

marioandrabbidsfifamarioodysseyskyrimrocketleaguezeldadlc2ohmygod

The Dock still sucks. When I place my Switch into it it won't charge unless I wiggle the unit a bit until the green LED is lit.

Not normal behaviour. Call Nintendo up. Mine works 100% of the time.

I love it. The duality of it just works for me, it's a fully realized 'offscreen play' that IMO was the best part of the Wii U. Though under-powered relative to the PS4 and Xb1, it is slick with great aesthetics and a minimalist interface. For my money it's the best piece of hardware Nintendo has produced since the original Wii in terms of concept and design. The Wii U and 3ds( until they improved with followup iterations for the latter) were both far clunkier in comparison. Games look great, no they aren't pumping out the latest and greatest but that Nintendo aesthetic always transcends raw horsepower. I imagine I will be playing its best games long after I've moved on from the high-end stuff being produced on the other consoles.

I was sold on it the initial reveal trailer last fall, but after the January conference I was kind of 'eh' on the launch lineup outside of Zelda. But, the system has delivered albeit with a good portion of the library shared with other platforms. Zelda is worth its weight in gold, its one of those games that basically makes the investment worthwhile regardless of whatever else is coming out. I haven't played ARMS yet, nor Splatoon 2, but for the latter I was in love with the original and I expect to lose myself in the sequel soon. Just waiting on some discounts to pick up Puyo Tetris, Ultra Street Fighter, Bomberman, and looking forward to Mario Odyssey. It's a keeper, now if Nintendo would just hurry the fuck up with the VC and get some SNES games on there, that would be greatly appreciated.

Griss

If I wanted to be as harsh as possible:
Often when it's docked, it feels like I paid 330 bucks for a very slightly more powerful Wii U without the gamepad and with a worse controller (the joycons aren't good). The visuals are very similar and the big games are ports or similar sequels (Zelda, Mario Kart, Splatoon). It doesn't have its own personality yet at all. As I already have a Wii U with 50+ games, sometimes I think 'why am I not playing that instead?'

If I wanted to be kind (and frankly more realistic):
It's an insanely good handheld that is phenomenal on plane journeys. The fact that said handheld doubles as a better Wii U while at home is just crazy. The Pro Controller is great. Splatoon 2 is a killer app exclusive. 6 months in and it's building a really solid library already.

Bottom line is I love it.

As for the games:
Zelda - Incredible but I beat it twice on the Wii U so it'll never be a Switch game in my mind
Splatoon 2 - Strong GotY contender, I love it to bits
Arms - Big disappointment. All of this amazing art, music and presentation go in service of gameplay that just isn't very engaging
Sonic Mania - A great tribute to the classic Sonic games but with all the design flaws those games had
Blaster Master Zero - Would have been incredible had it not been so design-breakingly easy. For the price it's a decent bit of easy fun for those who loved the original like me.

I love my switch and enjoy every game I have bought apart from BOTW.

I don't see the amazing things others see in it, I find it really dull, lifeless, horrible inventory system and other than the lovely looking world/vistas I really struggle to boot it up.

I keep trying it expecting to see what everyone else does and it just never clicks, every time it's about to click something happens that makes me want to turn it off.

Pif

Banned
The online sucks beyond my worse pre-release expectations and I'm positive it will stay that way.

Zelda is increbidle of course.

Top Bottom