• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Switching to Firefox...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sagitario

I'm going to switch to Firefox... is there anything I should know first? Extensions I must install for example? How does it work for multiple XP user sessions? Is it similar to Netscape (I've been using the v7.1 and IE)?

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
It's similar to IE but without popups.

Much faster than netscape.

Has a snazzy 'find text within webpage' and 'google search' in the top right corner that I find EXTREMELY useful. Especially for school.

jenov4

Make sure you download the Adblock extension. It's great because you can specify which wildcards to block, plus you can even block those ad banners made with Flash!

xsarien

daedsiluap
The standard browser is pretty well-rounded, although some of the extensions available really are that good.

I personally recommend:

-TabBrowser Extensions - Lets you dig deep into the tab configurations

-TinyURL creator - Embeds the TinyURL service into a drop down menu, so you don't need to go to the website

-GMailCompose - Highlight something (presumably an address) and a context menu item will automatically take you to a gmail compose window

-User Agent Switcher - For those sites that say they don't feed different browsers different stylesheets, but do.

-Copy Image - Right click on an image, save it to the clipboard

-Dictionary Search - Highlight a word, right-click for a context menu to the definition on dictionary.com

-Nuke Anything - Remove nearly any element of a web page via the context menu (it's not permanent, a page refresh will put it back.)

-Quicknote - Embedded notepad, essentially. You can toggle it on and off.

-Context Highlight - Select text, and highlight it.

joaomgcd

I don't know if most people realize this, but in Firefox, you can just type anything while you browse, and it will find the text in the web page you're browsing. :) F3 to find next...

VPhys

teh_pwn said:
It's similar to IE but without popups.

Much faster than netscape.

Has a snazzy 'find text within webpage' and 'google search' in the top right corner that I find EXTREMELY useful. Especially for school.

Or you could just hit CTRL-F in IE.

pops619

I just made the switch to Firefox, although it's only temporary for now. I liked Internet Explorer just fine. It displays pages better than Firefox in some cases. Firefox reminds me of Netscape in that sense, as some pages are a little messed up. I'm only switching because IE has been locking up on me a lot lately. I'm hoping Firefox is more stable. Am I safe to expect that?

Sagitario

I did it and I really like Firefox. Smaller and faster. The Extensions are really cool...

But...
1. How can I create Internet Shorcuts (.url) to desktop (I don't want to bookmark pages) like on Internet Explorer?
2. Everytime I open an Internet Shorcut... it opens on Firefox but I get this error message:
error.gif

3. I made Firefox my default browser... but if IE is open... all the internet shortcuts are open on that IE windows instead of Firefox.

Any solutions? Thanks in advance... :)

methodman

Banned
Get the new Maximum PC, or just read it. It has a 4 page special on Firefox and its extensions, most of which freakin own.

Bishman

methodman said:
Get the new Maximum PC, or just read it. It has a 4 page special on Firefox and its extensions, most of which freakin own.

You know the deal. Type it out or scan it and post at OA. :p

Supasso

Farore said:
I did it and I really like Firefox. Smaller and faster. The Extensions are really cool...

But...
1. How can I create Internet Shorcuts (.url) to desktop (I don't want to bookmark pages) like on Internet Explorer?
2. Everytime I open an Internet Shorcut... it opens on Firefox but I get this error message:
error.gif

3. I made Firefox my default browser... but if IE is open... all the internet shortcuts are open on that IE windows instead of Firefox.

Any solutions? Thanks in advance... :)

- Open any window (not IE windows)
- Tools
- Folder Options
- File Types
- (NONE) URL:Hyper Text Transfer Protocol - Advance
- Edit
- Uncheck the "Use DEE"
- You are done.

Sagitario

Supasso said:
- Open any window (not IE windows)
- Tools
- Folder Options
- File Types
- (NONE) URL:Hyper Text Transfer Protocol - Advance
- Edit
- Uncheck the "Use DEE"
- You are done.

w00t! It worked :D . Thanks a lot...

*still cant figure out how to make the damn shortcuts to desktop... :p *

Phoenix

Farore said:
w00t! It worked :D . Thanks a lot...

*still cant figure out how to make the damn shortcuts to desktop... :p *

I guess it must be different from OSX to Windows, but I just drag the URL to the desktop and its happy.

Stuggernaut

Grandma's Chippy
I still can't get into Firefox...after using Avant Browser I just can't "like" Firefox...

I still have the latest version installed though ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom