• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

System Shock 2

SaitoH

Probably the scariest game I've ever played and definitely one of, if not the best, FPS game ever. Playing Doom 3 got me all stoked about SS2 again, so I decided to reinstall it. A little searching on the net and I came across some nice upgrades to this fine title.

System Shock Rebirth

It's a model conversion for System shock 2. It replaces the original models with much better ones:

SSR_Compar_4.jpg

SSR_Compar_3.jpg

SSR_Compar_2.jpg

It's not complete, and looks like it never will be, because the last update was over a year ago, but it still makes a nice difference.

It changes the following models models:

This Beta contains the following enhanced characters:
- The Many Hybrid with Pipe
- The Many Hybrid with Shotgun
- The Many Hybrid with Grenades
- The Midwife
- The Cyborg Assassin
- All Dead Crew Members of the Von Braun and the Rickenbacker
- The Ghosts

I also found a texture pack here.

shot-security2.jpg

Hope you enjoy the update as much as I am.

^w^

SaitoH said:
It's a model conversion for System shock 2. It replaces the original models with much better ones

Thanks, I always thought the Midwife didn't look enough like a French prostitute!

Okay, more seriously ... though the models are technically more advanced, the art on some of them leaves a lot to be desired. I hemmed and hawed before finally just going back to the original ones. Still, great game!

i believe that there some GAFers whom are modding UT with a SS mod, they got a cease and desist leeter from EA. it would have been nice to see some media...

SaitoH

There was a Doom 3 conversion being worked on, but they were shut down.

here

The project is being renamed and reworked as Sapphire Scar.

JackFrost2012: I know the models aren't the best, but I think they look better. Except maybe the expression on the Cyborg Midwife's face ...

*coughs*

hacking in realtime with the doom3 terminal user interface would be amazing. i can just see the set pieces!

probability of SS3? .4% hacker.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Templar Wizard said:
hacking in realtime with the doom3 terminal user interface would be amazing. i can just see the set pieces!

probability of SS3? .4% hacker.

Ah, you're right...the UI system in Doom 3 would be absolutely amazing for System Shock. The engine is virtually perfect for the game...

Hmm, I too cannot bear to look at the updated art work, it's a horror all on its own.

There are many games out there that work far better with low poly graphics, your mind fills in the 'blanks' and your imagination plays tricks on you, making the whole experience even more chilling.

I'll stick with my old SS2 thanks.

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
So can this be downloaded somewhere? Or do I need to go buy System Shock and then download the updates?

Ah, a fine game. It's nice to hear tha the upgrade is finally out. I must be out of the loop, but I remember hearing when the guy who did it was just starting on it. Hooray!

Thanks for the info guys. system Shock 2 is one of my top five favorite video games of all time!! I had no idea there was a homebrew update project. We should beg Warren Spector over at Ion Storm to redo this classic gaming experience. This was one of the gaming experiences that left a very memorable impression. God I need to pull it out and play through it again....

JackFrost2012 said:
Semi-off topic: the thought of System Shock 3 in the Doom 3 engine makes me moist like a Duncan Hines cupcake.

Man you ain't kidding!!! I would love to see then remake this game. I remember a Dreamcast version was in the works, but the projectnever got far. I wish it had just for the exposure because more people need to play this game. Maybe then they'll understand why I scoff at todays survival horror games (i.e. Resident Evil, Silen Hill etc.).

Vlad

I've always wanted to try this game, and I had downloaded the demo when somebody posted a link to it a few SS2 threads ago, but never got around to trying to install it.

I go to install it, and I some error telling me that it can't install on Windows NT (I'm running 2000 Pro) due to DirectX6.1 or something like that.

Is there any way around it, or am I just out of luck?

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Vlad said:
I've always wanted to try this game, and I had downloaded the demo when somebody posted a link to it a few SS2 threads ago, but never got around to trying to install it.

I go to install it, and I some error telling me that it can't install on Windows NT (I'm running 2000 Pro) due to DirectX6.1 or something like that.

Is there any way around it, or am I just out of luck?

That problem is the most well known and simple to fix issue around...

Run SETUP.EXE from the CD-ROM with the
parametre "-lgntforce".
To do so, select "Run" from your start menu,
enter "x:\setup.exe -lgntforce", however you
will need to replace the "x" with the letter
that your CD-ROM uses.

Vlad

dark10x said:
That problem is the most well known and simple to fix issue around...

Run SETUP.EXE from the CD-ROM with the
parametre "-lgntforce".
To do so, select "Run" from your start menu,
enter "x:\setup.exe -lgntforce", however you
will need to replace the "x" with the letter
that your CD-ROM uses.

Already tried it, to no avail. Does that fix supposedly work on the demo or just the retail version?

BenT

Did you follow the install instructions and make your copy of SS2 "mod-friendly"?

There should be instructions included on how to do that. If not, check TTLG.com's SS forum.

Celicar

Banned
Question: I too just started playing System Shock 2, and if I download this upgrade, will I be able to use my saved game?

The upgrade is just a model replacement. I don't see why it'd affect the saves. I had no problem that I remember.

The model and texture packs are worth it. Considering the models are from a fan, how can you complain? The originals definitely have not aged well, I can say that much.

Game still kicks ass even without the add-ons though. Probably my favorite PC game.

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
This upgrade kicks all sorts of ass but it's not going to be continued since the creator got hired to work on some real projects. =(

BenT

Semjaza Azazel said:
The upgrade is just a model replacement. I don't see why it'd affect the saves.
Actually, I seem to recall there IS an issue like this. Again, it would be in the TTLG forums. I'd suggest starting a new game after installing the models just to be safe. I think the fatal error occurs about halfway through the game. Sorry I can't be more specific.

Also, here are the instructions on how to make your SS2 install mod-friendly. (You also need the latest/last version of SS2, btw. If you have a multiplayer option in the main menu, then you're all patched up and good to go.)

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
I am having trouble finding this game at the retail level. No one still has it. Most stores haven't even heard of it.
Other than that. Will this play on WindowsXP? I can get this game on ebay, but I'm curious if it's even worth it.

Teddman

Truelize said:
I am having trouble finding this game at the retail level. No one still has it. Most stores haven't even heard of it.
Other than that. Will this play on WindowsXP? I can get this game on ebay, but I'm curious if it's even worth it.
Just download it:

http://www.the-underdogs.org/game.php?id=3924

Before anyone jumps down my throat:
Disclaimer: Home of the Underdogs does not claim rights to any software on the site. To the best of our knowledge, these titles have been discontinued by their publishers. If you know otherwise, please contact us and we will remove them accordingly. Thank you for your attention.

Forsete

Hmm, me and my brother are trying to play this game in co-operative.. The games connects to each other, but when playing, I cant see him and he cant see me.

He does see my text messages though, and if I leave the game or vice versa it says "player disconnected" . We have tried to host the games on different computers, nothing changed.

At first I though we just had to play through the training levels, but we completed those and both enlisted to the Navy.. Still we cant see eachother??

BenT

Are both / either of you using any mods, like the Rebirth model pack? If so, that could be the issue right there. There's a right and a wrong way to install it, and I'd imagine you'd both need to have your SS2s in the same state (modded or unmodded) to successfully play together.

If you've had enough of my vague suggestions, I bet the folk at TTLG (see link above) could help you out.

Forsete

BenT said:
Are both / either of you using any mods, like the Rebirth model pack? If so, that could be the issue right there. There's a right and a wrong way to install it, and I'd imagine you'd both need to have your SS2s in the same state (modded or unmodded) to successfully play together.

If you've had enough of my vague suggestions, I bet the folk at TTLG (see link above) could help you out.

Both versions have the texture pack and rebirth installed.
Ill see if I can uninstall them both.

Thanks for the help.

Top Bottom