• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

System Shock Remake: A Surprise GotY Contender

This might be a bit of a hot take, but I gotta throw it out there: the System Shock remake has become a surprise Game of the Year contender for me.

Now, full disclosure: I never played much of the original or System Shock 2 back in the day. While I can definitely see how it laid the groundwork for stuff like Bioshock, I gotta say, System Shock feels like it accomplishes a lot more narratively, and feels much tighter and more focused.

Also, there's this constant sense of dread and isolation that I haven't felt since the original Bioshock. Plus, the whole hacking mechanic with the different cyber modules just feels more...grounded? Like it actually makes sense within the world, unlike the fantastical plasmids of Bioshock. Plasmids were still fun, though.

And while I miss having a Big Daddy to tangle with, SS throws some serious punches at you difficulty-wise. It's brutal at times, borderline unforgiving.

Speaking of throwing punches, the resource management in this game is fantastic. It reminds me a lot of Resident Evil, forcing you to strategize and make every bullet and medkit count. Plus, being able to scrap materials and recycle stuff gives you a great reason to explore every crack and crevice. Honestly, I'm not sure how much of this was in the original, but the environmental storytelling and world-building here are top-notch. It's easily one of the best FPS experiences I've had recently.

The graphics are a bit of a mixed bag though (UE4). They can go from absolutely stunning to looking a bit pixelated and muddy in some areas. I'm not sure if it's just a case of Nightdive Studios being lazy or if it's some kind of stylistic choice, but it's definitely noticeable. Regardless, it hasn't taken away from the overall experience. Honestly, it just makes me crave a proper next-gen remake, or maybe even a full-blown System Shock 3!

Last bit... the cyberspace segments are really cool and if built out could be a game concept all on its own.

So, who else out there has been diving into Citadel Station on the new consoles? I've been transitioning to primarily PS5 now, anyone rocking it on the XSX?

Let's hear your thoughts on the remake!

HL3.exe

Yep, loved it when it released on PC. Grew up with the original and kinda hoped for a more reinterpretation with modern ImmSim sensibilities (like Prey 2017), but modernizing the controls and mechanics with a new coat of paint already proved to be different enough to develop.

Last edited:
Playing through it these days, the lack of a toggle for sprint is a mind boggling omission on Night Dive's part.
Quite a few questionable design choices throughout.

I can't count the number of times I've died from the stupid plant and lean mechanism. I guess it's for corners, but it's completely unnecessary.

I reconfigured my binds but when I need it to not happen most, it still happens.

ScHlAuChi

Playing through it these days, the lack of a toggle for sprint is a mind boggling omission on Night Dive's part.
They had a PS5 demo playable on the Gamescom showfloor in 2022. I played it and noticed the missing sprint toggle right away.
So I went to the Deep Silver business booth (I have a contact there) and asked If I could talk to someone from Nightdive for feedback.
They pointed me to some older guy and I introduced myself (Note: I´m a designer in the industry for over 22 years) and said the demo was nice but the controls were suboptimal for console with the missing sprint toggle.
The guy was all very dismissive and basically told me he wasnt interested. When I was perplexed and said "I´m just trying to help here", he was all "I hear you, thank you" and that was it.
To give you some perspective, I never ever had seen such a reaction from an industry person before - I was pretty disappointed and not surprised at all when the game released with it still missing.

Guilty_AI

I finished it the other day on PC and i would've indeed put it up as a goty contender if it weren't a remake.

The graphics are a bit of a mixed bag though (UE4). They can go from absolutely stunning to looking a bit pixelated and muddy in some areas. I'm not sure if it's just a case of Nightdive Studios being lazy or if it's some kind of stylistic choice, but it's definitely noticeable.
Yes, those graphics were intentional, probably intending to give it some retro/80s vibes. I've seen people complaining but i personally liked it.

Last bit... the cyberspace segments are really cool and if built out could be a game concept all on its own.
Look into Descent games, or if you want something more modern, Overload.

Regardless, it hasn't taken away from the overall experience. Honestly, it just makes me crave a proper next-gen remake, or maybe even a full-blown System Shock 3!
I don't think you'll be seeing this kind of game with next-gen graphics unfortunately. A dungeon crawler with the level of visual fidelity you see here is rare enough as is.

I finished it the other day on PC and i would've indeed put it up as a goty contender if it weren't a remake.

Yes, those graphics were intentional, probably intending to give it some retro/80s vibes. I've seen people complaining but i personally liked it.

I don't think you'll be seeing this kind of game with next-gen graphics unfortunately. A dungeon crawler with the level of visual fidelity you see here is rare enough as is.
For my first time through it's been a memorable experience, and one of the best things I've played all year.

Also, appreciate the suggestions, last Descent I played was for PS1 (back when they had the rectangular boxes), I could barely get past the first couple of levels, back then.

But, yes, Descent is indeed an accurate comparison of the gameplay that didn't immediately come to mind.

Will take a look at Overload. Thanks!

Guilty_AI

For my first time through it's been a memorable experience, and one of the best things I've played all year.
It was my first too, i just don't want to give GOTY to a remake of whats essentially one of the most influential games of its era. Like, of course it would be that good,

Not to say Nightdive didn't do a great job translating the original into more modern elements.

Last edited:
It was my first too, i just don't want to give GOTY to a remake of whats essentially one of the most influential games of its era. Like, of course it would be that good,

Not to say Nightdive didn't do a great job translating the original into more modern elements.

Heard.

Really, I was unprepared for how good it is.

I had decided I was gonna pass on it, but since my gaming choices have hit a bit of a lull as of late, I decided to jump in, and so it was a pleasant surprise.

Plus it's like 35 bucks (18 on steam).

Buggy Loop

Gamefly users rated it a 5 out of 10 so i didn't even bother trying it.

Dog What GIF by MOODMAN

First time I have ever seen someone base their game playing on gamefly user ratings

Megatron

It being a remake doesn’t disqualify if from getting goty. The fact that it came out on pc last year and the consoles got a late port, though, I think does disqualify it.

Dog What GIF by MOODMAN

First time I have ever seen someone base their game playing on gamefly user ratings
Plenty of people base their games on metacritic ratings and gamespot / ign or steam reviews. Especially when spending their $60/$70 on a game. For me that is alot of money.

I don't always go by user ratings, but with so many new games coming out i have to prioritze my gaming.

I will check out the game.

TheSHEEEP

Gold Member
It is definitely a good standard for how to do remakes:
Keep the vision and quirks of the original alive, but modernize where appropriate (controls, UI, visuals, sound).

Last edited:

Doczu

How is the remake on PS4(pro)? Don't have any other way to play.
Also, no physical for that version, right?

darrylgorn

I could have sworn they fixed that but I might have just switched on my own toggle (that somehow doesn't sound right) in the steam controller settings.

Megatron

i just fail to see how order of platform release matters here.
It’s not a new game if it came out a year ago? Is that really that hard to understand? It would be like nominating Metroid zero mission for game of the year because it came out on Switch’s expansion pass this year. Or Sea of Thieves because it came to PlayStation this year.

Last edited:

Guilty_AI

It’s not a new game if it came out a year ago? Is that really that hard to understand? It would be like nominating Metroid zero mission for game of the year because it came out on Switch’s expansion pass this year.
I was thinking in terms of 2023 goty, but yeah i'm not sure what year OP refered to exactly.

Killer8

It was in my top 10 list last year when it released on PC. Really good remake that basically invalidates needing to play the original.

It's disappointing to hear about the control and QoL issues on console like lack of aim assistance.

Top Bottom