• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together |OT|: Fat Bottomed Girls

Seda

Jimmy Stav said:
Is that the Chaos path? Or maybe you're just a bit farther than I am, because I haven't had that encounter yet. You should try equipping Canopus with a sling and healing her that way.

This, turn Canopus into some class that can use a lobber, give him some field alchemy skills.

Easy-peasy.

Jeez, I'm so relieved Arycelle eventually became a manually-controllable character. It was a pain to keep her alive during the Vyce battle too. That girl seems real fond of going kamikaze.

MushroomSamba said:
I actually have no clue which path I'm on. Does it say it somewhere? And what's a sling? I don't see it in my inventory or the shop, so maybe you're ahead of me then. It's like the second battle encounter in Chapter 2.

Worked like a charm! It wasn't so much the arrow dodging that helped me, but that it reduced the movement range for everybody but Canopus. He moved freely and whittled their forces while they were too busy stuck in the mud to chase after Acyelle. Thanks for the tip! I didn't even know what the horn was until you mentioned it.

I'm sure it'll show up soon, though it doesn't sound like you need it. I'm assuming you're on the Law path due to how different your Chapter 2 is. It's governed by the decision you make at the end of Chapter 1.

red13th

Okay I have a question.
I've just unlocked the last dungeon but I've been running the elemental temples for the loot. I've done Fire and Water so far and the last bosses of each temple dropped
a rather powerful elemental spell
Can I get more of those somewhere else or is that the only time they drop?
I don't want to teach them to my Wizard (soon to be Lich) and Siren, then not be able to give them to my Shaman sisters

Jimmy Stav said:
I'm sure it'll show up soon, though it doesn't sound like you need it. I'm assuming you're on the Law path due to how different your Chapter 2 is. It's governed by the decision you make at the end of Chapter 1.

He's on the Chaos path, you don't need to rescue Arcyelle in Law.

Also when they said sling they meant Lobber. It's a weapon that can throw items.

red_13th said:
Okay I have a question.
I've just unlocked the last dungeon but I've been running the elemental temples for the loot. I've done Fire and Water so far and the last bosses of each temple dropped
a rather powerful elemental spell
Can I get more of those somewhere else or is that the only time they drop?
I don't want to teach them to my Wizard (soon to be Lich) and Siren, then not be able to give them to my Shaman sisters

Once you beat the game you can just use WORLD to do the quest a second time to get the spells again(and 3 more Shaman classmarks too).

How does leveling parry/deflect work? Is it conducive to their development to pair them with Dodge/Sidestep, or should I be dividing them up? I wish I hadn't just noticed that parry/deflect existed, or I would have asked this earlier.

Some random odds and ends:

- I'm still in chapter 2 (yay, we're sailing), and I've accumulated over 200k in coin. I tend to be a cheap bastard when it comes to RPGs...can't help it. You'd think I'd learn time after time when I almost always end up with more cash than I know what to do with.

- Just got a bunch of those Liberation folks to join up. It's a bit of a bittersweet situation though, since adding them to my lineup means benching some of my other dudes that've been with me since the beginning. Still, Cistina, Folcort, and that old geezer mage look too badass to pass up.

- I'm starting to regret switching Denam to Ninja. Now he doesn't do any damage at all despite double attack. I just have him standing around in the back collecting class XP, but it's pretty pointless if all they can use are dinky little daggers.

- Actually, half my team barely does anything. I try keeping a balanced group so none of the classes fall too far behind. The last thing I want to find out late in the game is, "oh hey, this class would've been super useful for this boss fight, but it's level 1 and you just boned yourself". So far, my archer (Arycelle), vartan (Canopus), and duo of mages have been killing it. The berserker seems to be my main melee combat unit. Dragoon and knight make for okay-but-not-great tanks. Valkyrie and ninja have been pretty damn useless. I've only used the rogue sparingly, but it seems pretty fun and has some interesting skills. Haven't played much with the beast tamer or terror knight yet.

- Feel free to tell me I'm doing it wrong. I'm pretty much just winging it as I go along.

- Oh yeah, does anyone know a site where we can see all the character art and portraits? They're mad good. Google only came up with a few places that had a limited selection of images.

MushroomSamba said:
I'm starting to regret switching Denam to Ninja. Now he doesn't do any damage at all despite double attack. I just have him standing around in the back collecting class XP, but it's pretty pointless if all they can use are dinky little daggers.

Daggers are the best weapons in the game. They get extra damage with DEX, so characters with high DEX are very powerful with daggers and double attack. Ninjas are the best normal class in the game along with Archers for that reason.

If your DEX isn't very high, use 1H Katanas, which are also good weapons.

Jimmy Stav said:
How does leveling parry/deflect work? Is it conducive to their development to pair them with Dodge/Sidestep, or should I be dividing them up? I wish I hadn't just noticed that parry/deflect existed, or I would have asked this earlier.

Parry/Deflect and Dodge/Sidestep are completely separate skills.

And while Dodge/Sidestep simply decreases the accuracy of an incoming attack, Parry/Deflect give a random chance of an attack missing regardless of its accuracy(an attack can be Parry/Deflect'd even if its accuracy is 100%).
MushroomSamba said:
- Oh yeah, does anyone know a site where we can see all the character art and portraits? They're mad good. Google only came up with a few places that had a limited selection of images.

http://saloonrpg.blog67.fc2.com/blog-entry-27.html

Mushroom Samba: I don't understand why your Ninja Denam isn't doing damage, because I switched mine as well and he's doing quite well with Double Attack. Do you have the most recent one-handed katanas for him?

Fimbulvetr said:
Parry/Deflect and Dodge/Sidestep are completely separate skills.

And while Dodge/Sidestep simply decreases the accuracy of an incoming attack, Parry/Deflect give a random chance of an attack missing regardless of its accuracy(an attack can be Parry/Deflect'd even if its accuracy is 100%).

http://saloonrpg.blog67.fc2.com/blog-entry-27.html

So is one better than the other? From what it sounds like, having Dodge and Parry equipped simultaneously would hinder the development of Parry, right?

Fimbulvetr said:

Sweetness. Is there another page with the recruitable characters like Cistina on that site? I can't read Japanese.

Jimmy Stav said:
Mushroom Samba: I don't understand why your Ninja Denam isn't doing damage, because I switched mine as well and he's doing quite well with Double Attack. Do you have the most recent one-handed katanas for him?

I'm just being an idiot. The very next store I went to, I saw a listing for katanas. Yeah, those do significantly more damage. I still don't get why daggers were only popping a paltry 1 point of damage though, but whatever. I'm just happy that I can start actually using him in battle again as opposed to just having him stand in the corner.

MushroomSamba said:
Sweetness. Is there another page with the recruitable characters like Cistina on that site?

Nope.

MushroomSamba said:
I'm just being an idiot. The very next store I went to, I saw a listing for katanas. Yeah, those do significantly more damage. I still don't get why daggers were only popping a paltry 1 point of damage though, but whatever. I'm just happy that I can start actually using him in battle again as opposed to just having him stand in the corner.

Perhaps your Denam has very low natural dexterity?

Fimbulvetr said:
Perhaps your Denam has very low natural dexterity?

Relative to the rest of my crew, his is pretty good. I switched him over to katanas now, but kept my rogue using daggers, who actually does pretty decent damage with it. I can't figure this game out. :p

The Denam vs Vyce battle in chapter 2 is baaaaaaaalls. Goddamnit, it's like that one-on-one fight from FFT all over again. The bastard wrecks me with about 50 dmg per hit, whereas I only get in 16 with double attack. I guess I'll have to learn up some field alchemy and buy a ton of big time heals, but I don't really feel like doing this. It's just annoying. :\

Edit: Is there even a point in me spoiler-tagging this stuff? Seems like I'm the one furthest behind in this thread anyway.

Jimmy Stav said:
So is one better than the other? From what it sounds like, having Dodge and Parry equipped simultaneously would hinder the development of Parry, right?

I'm at that point where I can start wondering about this now, too. I'm guessing it depends on which takes priority first. I don't really worry about it too much though...I'd just slap on both if you got the skill space and points to spare.

I'm torn as to what I should do with Jeunan. I'd hate to waste a unique on a class that has such limited use, but I can't think of any other role he would really need to fill at this point. Any advice?

Sotha Sil

Jimmy Stav said:
I'm torn as to what I should do with Jeunan. I'd hate to waste a unique on a class that has such limited use, but I can't think of any other role he would really need to fill at this point. Any advice?

Jeunan is part of my regular team, as a dragoon. It's indeed a pretty useless class, but he actually turned into a capable damage dealer around chapter 4.

So glad this thread is still active by the way; bought the game recently, and I just love it.

(Am I the only one to think that the charm-blowgun is ridiculously overpowered? It works on anything!)

Jimmy Stav said:

If the other option is a generic, use Jeunan and change him into anything really. Unique characters have higher base stats than generics, so Jeunan might still be worth using even if you turn him into a Ninja, a Berserker, or a Knight etc.

Sotha Sil said:
Jeunan is part of my regular team, as a dragoon. It's indeed a pretty useless class, but he actually turned into a capable damage dealer around chapter 4.

He's boss when you're going up against beasts and dragons.

He also makes a good dragon tamer since he starts off with a leveled up Draconology.

Sotha Sil

Fimbulvetr said:
He's boss when you're going up against beasts and dragons.

He also makes a good dragon tamer since he starts off with a leveled up Draconology.

True, though generally, by the time he can use his anti-dragon/monster skills, most of said creatures are dead or charmed. I still like him, though. Dragoons are cool.

red13th

Jimmy Stav said:

Dragoons are really niche but they are great at doing what they're meant to do. I almost always have my Dragoon on my team because most fights have beasts or dragons and I hate octopuses so frigging much. Mine uses a 2H sword which might not be the best option, she builds TP a bit too slowly IMO.
I'm running the Wildwoods for a change of scenery. I really wish they would drop bags sometimes instead of tarot cards. :/ At least I got a Damasc Axe (which I promptly upgraded) for my Berserker Denam.

Laughing Banana said:
I want to play this but alas unchanging character portraits is one of my biggest pet peeves in gaming :\

man, you can't be serious. the portrait for your normal units will change and so will your hero at some point. this game has many unique characters. be glad they actually cared to draw them, unlike many other games.

Basileus777 said:
If the other option is a generic, use Jeunan and change him into anything really. Unique characters have higher base stats than generics, so Jeunan might still be worth using even if you turn him into a Ninja, a Berserker, or a Knight etc.

That's exactly my problem. I already have those roles filled by other units. The only class you listed that is currently occupied by a generic is the Knight, but I'm not sure how useful this class will continue to be. And I have a Terror Knight that I'm struggling to find a use for, so I'd rather not make Jeunan one of those either.

Maybe I'll just stick with Dragoon. If I were to do so, I'd probably go with either Crossbows or Two-Handed Swords.

EDIT: Or maybe I'll change him into a Ninja and use Denam as something else. Decisions, decisions.

EDIT 2: And is it just me, or are Wizards not very useful?

Jimmy Stav said:
EDIT: Or maybe I'll change him into a Ninja and use Denam as something else. Decisions, decisions.

If you do Diego's side-quest you could just make Denam a dual-wielding Buccaneer.

Also early game offensive mages are only good for status effects, late game mages are great for damage dealing.

It's good to have a mage with Earth Magic around, since they learn Dust Storm.

fates

MushroomSamba said:
Sweetness. Is there another page with the recruitable characters like Cistina on that site? I can't read Japanese.

Right now that artwork doesn't even exist. There's an artbook coming out in Japan, though. That will probably have all the artworks from the game.

Fimbulvetr said:
If you do Diego's side-quest you could just make Denam a dual-wielding Buccaneer.

Also early game offensive mages are only good for status effects, late game mages are great for damage dealing.

It's good to have a mage with Earth Magic around, since they learn Dust Storm.

Good to know. And I'll keep Earth in mind, as I've just been using Dark with my Wizard.

Glix

Got the game yesterday. Holy crap it is so amazing. Like super FFT or something. So so so so much better than FFTA 1 and 2, and this is coming from someone who loved those games and didn't even mind the judge system that much!

You would think so many dudes on the field would overwhelm, but the system is so snappy and awesome, and the graphics so clean and nice, its no problem at all!

Soulhouf

Jimmy Stav said:
That's exactly my problem. I already have those roles filled by other EDIT 2: And is it just me, or are Wizards not very useful?
My Sherri (witch) inflicts an average 400 damage with dark magic spell like drain heart(it restores your HP at the same time and works on undead which is awesome!).
That goes without saying that I have the skill spell craft IV, spell strike IV and augment dark lv8+2.
Besides status altering spells like charm are awesome.
Definitely go dark with at least one magician.

fates

Anyone know where to find Arc Dragon random spawns? Need them, Dark (I know where they are... I think) and Hydras to wrap up Deneb's quest.

Soulhouf said:
My Sherri (witch) inflicts an average 400 damage with dark magic spell like drain heart(it restores your HP at the same time and works on undead which is awesome!).
That goes without saying that I have the skill spell craft IV, spell strike IV and augment dark lv8+2.
Besides status altering spells like charm are awesome.
Definitely go dark with at least one magician.

Shit, I need Augment Dark, and to figure out how to exploit it with my other characters.

Jimmy Stav said:

I dunno, I've been having fun with them. It's about the only class I consistently bring more than one unit of (one damage-dealer, the other for status effects). Just be sure to learn meditate and augments.

I recently opened up the Swordmaster class...do you guys think it's worth building up? At this point, I'm already stretched thin trying to keep up a wide variety of classes. Adding another to the fray would be quite annoying, especially if it turns out to be crap. I'm considering dropping my knight and dragoon though, since they're really not doing much in the battles, aside from being damage sponges. I might drop the Rogue too, since Steal sucks. I thought it'd be like in FFT, where you can steal the actual equipment right off enemies. That was awesome.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Augemitbutter said:
man, you can't be serious. the portrait for your normal units will change and so will your hero at some point. this game has many unique characters. be glad they actually cared to draw them, unlike many other games.

No no, I mean the way the portraits are always drawn the same regardless of the emotions displayed by the characters on various scenes, like sad, angry, smiling, or something. Like Radiant Historia for the DS or, if I remember correctly, the original Final Fantasy Tactics for the PS1, if you are familiar with those games?

Or am I mistaken here? :eek:

kasavin

Finally finished this last night. Bought it day one and played it just about every night since then for a little while before turning in. Great game overall -- really enjoyed the localization and some of the character building. Final Fantasy Tactics is one of my all-time favorite games and I'd never played this before so it was cool to see where some of FFT's ideas evolved from.

I wish they still made games like this.

kurohana

Jimmy Stav said:
I finally recruited Ravness and I plan on making her a Rogue (as I don't have one yet). Is this a sound idea?
I went with White Knight for her since she's one of the few that can be one. It'll be a bit before you get the marks to do that, though.

Laughing Banana said:
No no, I mean the way the portraits are always drawn the same regardless of the emotions displayed by the characters on various scenes, like sad, angry, smiling, or something. Like Radiant Historia for the DS or, if I remember correctly, the original Final Fantasy Tactics for the PS1, if you are familiar with those games?

Or am I mistaken here? :eek:

you will see different drawings in key scenes for the main characters, mostly when something drastic happens.

kurohana said:
I went with White Knight for her since she's one of the few that can be one. It'll be a bit before you get the marks to do that, though.

Which unique (Law) would you recommend for a Rogue, then? They sound fun.

kurohana

Jimmy Stav said:
Which unique (Law) would you recommend for a Rogue, then? They sound fun.
If you don't mind knowing you can get two specific characters later on, I have them as spoilers.
You can use
Ozma
(although their initial class is very strong) or
Hobyrim
(I think, can't remember) since they have pretty high dex. You get them later on, though. If you want a unique to be it soon, I'd just pick whoever has high dex, assuming you're going to use daggers.

kurohana said:
If you don't mind knowing you can get two specific characters later on, I have them as spoilers.
You can use
Ozma
(although their initial class is very strong) or
Hobyrim
(I think, can't remember) since they have pretty high dex. You get them later on, though. If you want a unique to be it soon, I'd just pick whoever has high dex, assuming you're going to use daggers.
Using Ozma as anything other than a Temple Commander is crazy.

Rogues are pretty good, but they are basically a poor man's Ninja.

I've been reading interesting things about the blowgun+dagger combo. All I'm really concerned with is finding something productive for Ravness to tide me over for her White Knight transformation, I guess.

kurohana

Jimmy Stav said:
I've been reading interesting things about the blowgun+dagger combo. All I'm really concerned with is finding something productive for Ravness to tide me over for her White Knight transformation, I guess.
I'd just go with something that will level the weapon you'll have her using later on. Not that it's super important.

Seda

My rogue (generic) uses a dagger and blowgun. He has a Marauder's Knife and Baldur Blowgun. His blowgun is generally weak, but it kills against undead.

He's pretty good with the dagger, I'm going through the painstaking process right now of upgrading weapons using various crafting recipes.

Gosh, I can't handle the level of choice I have this game. My inability to decide a direction for her is keeping me from playing it...

EDIT: What about skill scavenging my generic knight, and making her one until I unlike the White Knight? I may not end up using hammers, though.

kurohana

Jimmy Stav said:
I'm going to leave Ravness as a Valkyrie, actually. If I keep her with spears, which element augment is recommended?
I would just go with light, although I'm not too sure you'd need an augment. Maybe it was just me, but I've never gotten a valkyrie to do much damage with spells compared to classes that are actually good at it.

kurohana said:
I would just go with light, although I'm not too sure you'd need an augment. Maybe it was just me, but I've never gotten a valkyrie to do much damage with spells compared to classes that are actually good at it.

Oh, I just meant for elemental damage on a spear down the line. I'm going to give her Divine magic for front line support.

Soulhouf

I am re-WORDING back to experience the routes/choices/side quests I didn't complete so far and now the Dark Knights commanders wield their special legendary weapons like in the original game.
But sadly they don't drop them when they are killed :(
So my question is: is there a way to get those weapons?

Soulhouf said:
I am re-WORDING back to experience the routes/choices/side quests I didn't complete so far and now the Dark Knights commanders wield their special legendary weapons like in the original game.
But sadly they don't drop them when they are killed :(
So my question is: is there a way to get those weapons?

Yes. Some of them drop normally, others there are special conditions. To get
Lanselot
to drop the Ambicion, you have to win the fight with
just Denam, Catiua, and Vyce.

Top Bottom