• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Taiko Drum Master GET!

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
What the crap is up with Material Girl and I'm a Believer? Awful.
Walking on Sunshine and American Girls are really bad, but My Sharona and Killer Queen (can't believe that's on this!) make up for it. Tubthumping is censored too. The classics and Katamari are really fun, but a lot of the pop really grates me.

I'm gonna have to import some of the other versions, cause I need my Doraemon Theme goddamnit!

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
RevenantKioku said:
I'm gonna have to import some of the other versions, cause I need my Doraemon Theme goddamnit!

!

Which version? I picked it up today at TRU, still haven't played it, but uh, the Doraemon theme is about the greatest piece of music ever recorded.

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
Not sure, I'm gonna have to look into it.
I've only played the Doraemon Theme in the arcade, but I'm guessing one of the versions of Taiko has to have it in there. They just gotta, man!

Belfast

Finally got my copy from Best Buy. Rhino still did not have it, and the clueless clerks at Best Buy didn't even know what it was or that they had it until I told them to go to the back and check.

Its a shame this game won't sell as much because it doesn't have the same Nintendo marketing push/recognizable characters that Donkey Konga had. Plus, its a tad more expensive. Still, everyone should buy this game if they can. DK sux, Taiko rox! Buy it now!

kiryogi

Banned
Belfast said:
Finally got my copy from Best Buy. Rhino still did not have it, and the clueless clerks at Best Buy didn't even know what it was or that they had it until I told them to go to the back and check.

Its a shame this game won't sell as much because it doesn't have the same Nintendo marketing push/recognizable characters that Donkey Konga had. Plus, its a tad more expensive. Still, everyone should buy this game if they can. DK sux, Taiko rox! Buy it now!

Import Donkey Konga has a better song selection than Domestic! (Doraemon in Hit Song Parade!) But yeah, Taiko rocks as well. LOVE BOTH. :p

TRU deal forever!

Just picked this up! Gotta have the rythm games.

SO can you unlock a mode where you can play the entire song, ONI mode maybe?

<------new to the whole taiko deal

Belfast

Schmo Florez said:
TRU deal forever!

Just picked this up! Gotta have the rythm games.

SO can you unlock a mode where you can play the entire song, ONI mode maybe?

<------new to the whole taiko deal

Huh? You are playing the entire songs. Yeah, I know, some of them cut off, but that's the way it is with just about any rhythm game. I mean I guess its not the *entire* song, but its what they decided to put in there. And Oni is just the next highest difficulty, nothing more.

kir: yeah, but import Taiko has better song selection than import DK. :)

Prospero

Well, I've gotten over my "weak left hand" problem somewhat, I've beaten everything on Normal, and I'm starting Hard.

ABC on Hard is not a two-star song.

That's The Way I Like It on Hard is ace. I played that one four times in a row just for fun, even after I cleared it.

signet

I picked up this game when it came out. I totally suck at it (I have no rhythm) but my brother is scary good. It's like he is possessed or something. He even dressed up like the guy on the box for Halloween (at work).

kiryogi

Banned
Belfast said:
Huh? You are playing the entire songs. Yeah, I know, some of them cut off, but that's the way it is with just about any rhythm game. I mean I guess its not the *entire* song, but its what they decided to put in there. And Oni is just the next highest difficulty, nothing more.

kir: yeah, but import Taiko has better song selection than import DK. :)

That's not really fair considering Taiko had more expansions XD The point is, both rock damnit :p

Flynn

Late to the party. :)

Just got the game today.

I hate to admit that it's better than DK in most respects (as mentioned previously in this thread.)

My only disappointment so far is the lack of traditional taiko music, like the tracks I've played on the arcade version. Just a couple would have been nice.

john tv

How much does this cost? I want it!

Should I just buy one of the JP versions or does the US one have a better tracklist? Which JP one is this based on?

jiggle

$59.99 in the US. 39.99 for just the drum.
US tracklist:
Licensed Rock/Pop: ABC; American Girls; Are You Gonna Be My Girl; Bowling for Soup - Jimmy Neutron Theme; Girls & Boys; I'm A Believer; Killer Queen; Lady Marmalade; Love Shack; Material Girl; My Sharona; Rock the Dragon (Dragonball Z Theme); Slide; That's The Way (I Like It); The Impression That I Get; Toxic; Tubthumping; Walking On Sunshine

Classical: Beethoven's Symphony No. 5; Carmen Prelude; Foster's Medley; Hungarian Dances No. 5; Symphony No. 25 in G Minor; William Tell Overture

Namco Original: Don Rangers; Dragon Spirit; Katamari on the Rocks; Ridge Racer; Soul Calibur II Brave Sword, Braver Soul; Taiko March; The Genji and the Heike Clans

The songs are from various JP versions. Although, I think the licensed rock/pop tracks are not???

impirius

I finally... FINALLY... got my copy. I love it, but man, some of my hits just refuse to register. It's very frustrating. So far I like the Donkey Konga bongos better than the Taiko drum, although it is very fun to hit things with sticks.

Nikashi

Banned
I love this recent Namco inclination to bring over non-butchered versions of their quirky Japanese titles (Such as this game and Katamari Damacy).

I'm thinking about getting a few of the Japanese versions since I have a modded PS2 and the drum sticks do say "Taiko no Tatsujin" on them.

I wanna get Waku Anime Matsuri version :)

impirius said:
I finally... FINALLY... got my copy. I love it, but man, some of my hits just refuse to register. It's very frustrating. So far I like the Donkey Konga bongos better than the Taiko drum, although it is very fun to hit things with sticks.

Yeah, the drum takes some getting used to in finding where the best "sweet spots" are to hit. I haven't tried the RedOctane drum, but I'll probably end up getting it eventually for some two-player action. I actually used the controller to clear most of the songs on 'Oni'. Using the controller made it much easier because you didn't have to worry about the drum not picking up hits.

impirius

heavy liquid said:
Yeah, the drum takes some getting used to in finding where the best "sweet spots" are to hit. I haven't tried the RedOctane drum, but I'll probably end up getting it eventually for some two-player action. I actually used the controller to clear most of the songs on 'Oni'. Using the controller made it much easier because you didn't have to worry about the drum not picking up hits.
Man... that just sucks. Being able to whack the ($40) drum is most of the fun of the game! It seems like I'm hitting it more often out of frustration than trying to hit notes on screen. The whole thing is especially maddening since there was one play session where the drum was registering everything and I was getting perfect combos; since then, I can't even combo medium songs because of the missed notes.

Could you post some impressions of the RedOctane drum if/when you get it?

IGN has a Redoctane drum review, for what little thats worth.

With my Namco drum, though, the only deadzone is in the center. Other than that it's far more effective than any home DDR pad I've used in terms of properly hitting notes...

Top Bottom