• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TAIKO DRUM MASTER

gunstarhero

I just heard of this recently (yes, I've been living in a cave) - is it suppose to be any good? Better then Donkey Kongo?

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
I have heard about this for the first time looking at an ad in the last months OPM (awesome ad, btw) They also had a short preview. Apparently, the game is made by the same Namco team that made Donkey Konga, and it plays in a very, very simillar way. Seeing that I really liked what little I played of DK, it instaly piqued my interest.

They also said in the movie "Lost in Translation", one of the guys in the arcades plays this game (and I actually remember seeing it, except I had no idea that was it when I was watching the movie)

Here's how it plays:
You have one drum, that has four areas/sensors below it's top surface. Outer left, outer right, inner left and inner right. You use sticks to drum. There are four different simbols that slide across the screen. Small red circle means slapping once with one stick on either left or right inner area. Big red circle means slapping with both sticks once at both left and right inner area. Same principle for small/big blue cirles except that you slap the outer area(s). Extended yellow line means drumming continously as long as the line slides through.

Btw, one of the songs featured in the game is "Katamari on the Rocks" which pretty much cements the purchase for me.

gunstarhero

Btw, one of the songs featured in the game is "Katamari on the Rocks" which pretty much cements the purchase for me.

O_O

That about nails it for me to - DK looks really good also, but the song list looks really "teh kiddie" for my taste. B-I-N-G-O.....no. Thanks for the info.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
DK has some good songs too ("Busy Child" rocks).

Here's the song list for Taiko:

Licensed:
ABC
American Girls
Are You Gonna Be My Girl
Bowling for Soup--Jimmy Neutron Theme
Girls & Boys
I'm A Believer
Killer Queen
Lady Marmalade
Love Shack
Material Girl
My Sharona
Rock the Dragon (Dragonball Z Theme)
Slide
That's The Way (I Like It)
The Impression That I Get
Toxic
Tubthumping
Walking On Sunshine

Classical pieces:
Beethoven's Symphony No. 5
Bizet's Carmen Prelude
Stephen Foster's Medley
Brahms' Hungarian Dances No. 5
Mozart's Symphony No. 25 in G Minor
Rossini's William Tell Overture

Original tunes from Namco:
Don Rangers
Dragon Spirit
Katamari on the Rocks
Ridge Racer theme
Soul Calibur II's Brave Sword, Braver Soul
Taiko March
The Genji and the Heike Clans

Marconelly said:
Licensed:
ABC
American Girls
Are You Gonna Be My Girl
Bowling for Soup--Jimmy Neutron Theme
Girls & Boys
I'm A Believer
Killer Queen
Lady Marmalade
Love Shack
Material Girl
My Sharona
Rock the Dragon (Dragonball Z Theme)
Slide
That's The Way (I Like It)
The Impression That I Get
Toxic
Tubthumping
Walking On Sunshine

Any idea if these are these performed by the original artists, or not (like DK)?

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
I know Taiko is going to be mine, that's no question. The question is, can I buy a second taiko drum separately? The konga drums are hard enough to find, and this game is a much smaller release.

Do the drums by themselves even exist?

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
don't the DDR games use original versions of songs? Or are those covers as well?

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
The song list is sort of a bummer, none of that really excites me except for the Namco originals. But I'm still going to buy it (crossing my fingers that TRU gets it in on Wednesday/Thursday with GTA:SA), to support quirky music games, and to get myself a cheap Taiko. After I buy it? Cheap import versions LET ME TOUCH YOU.

levious said:
don't the DDR games use original versions of songs? Or are those covers as well?
Depends. There are both. "Move Your Feet" in US DDR Extreme is the original version by Junior Senior. But, like, there's been covers of Flashdance, In the Navy (most fun song ever), and uh, lots of others that I can't think of off the top of my head! :)

Meier

levious said:

I believe DDR does for the most part although not in all cases. Karaoke Revolution does not nowever (all covers). SingStar (from SCEE) has the original music videos but it seems unlikely at this point it'll ever even come out in the US.

Belfast

Actually, a lot of the DDR songs are covers of some sort. A lot of the disco ones anyway. I believe a few, like The Reflex, are the original versions. However, I should note that these are covers in the sense that another group did them as opposed to covers done by in-house people simply for the sake of releasing them in a game. In other words, the group Bus Stop, who does some covers (Kick the Can, Long Train Runnin, etc.) is an actual group, IIRC.

fugimax

I'm all over this.

Pre-ordered it Saturday while I was near my local EB.

Also, someone above asked about buying a second drum...check out ebgames.com they have one listed. I think it actually was shipping last week (could have changed...I haven't looked in a month or so).

Top Bottom