• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Taiwan bans the consumption of cat and dog meat

Status
Not open for further replies.

Meadows

Banned
I lived in Taiwan for a while (2009) and have visited multiple times since.

Eating dogs or cats really isn't a socially accepted thing to do there anyway, I think it is largely concentrated in some migrant groups.

I've been to loads of tiny towns and mountain villages and never seen it on a menu.

Things were ruff but we're feline fine now.

joker-cricket.jpg

Phu

Banned
I don't even know Taiwan eats dogs. Probably one of those things that is technically allowed but nobody does anymore as society prospers.

This seems like a rule that general societies/populations set without it being official.

I'm sure there's a ton of places where this isn't outlawed where the people wouldn't do it anyway.

hirokazu

Ultimately I don't really care if people eat dog but Is Taiwan one of those places that torched dogs alive because the pain/fear adds to the taste? That shits beyond fucked.
That's supposedly Korea, get your Asian countries right, yo. Hardly anyone eats cats and dogs in greater China.

(I think I've only seen this in some documentary about the illicit dog trade in Korea, and I've never gone to verify that it's a real thing.)

hirokazu

Rabbits are cute AF and people still eat them ...

rabbitdiettile.ashx
I was watching an Australian reality show about animal welfare workers and such and they went to this guy's house after reports of abuse to the rabbits he was keeping. He had like a whole wall of cages with lots of them empty so they started asking him what happened to the rabbits.

He made a bunch of excuses trying to dodge their questions and the inspectors thought they caught him red-handed. But eventually the guy just admitted he was keeping them for food. The animal welfare people were just like "Oookay then, carry on. As long as you're not mistreating your animals!"

Piggus

Good to hear. A local animal shelter rescued a bunch of dogs from the Thailand dog meat trade, and I believe all have been adopted.

Yes? This myth that all cats are assholes needs to stop.

for real, even the feral cats are integrated into human society in some places(ie. Japans cat island, or Istanbul if you watch the Kedi documentary).
wild dogs are fucking dangerous.

Japan actually has a few animal havens, like a fox village, a deer town (been to this one in person), and even a rabbit island. Easy to find on youtube if you're interested.

I was watching an Australian reality show about animal welfare workers and such and they went to this guy's house after reports of abuse to the rabbits he was keeping. He had like a whole wall of cages with lots of them empty so they started asking him what happened to the rabbits.

He made a bunch of excuses trying to dodge their questions and the inspectors thought they caught him red-handed. But eventually the guy just admitted he was keeping them for food. The animal welfare people were just like "Oookay then, carry on. As long as you're not mistreating your animals!"

Not Australian, but aren't they considered pests? They were introduced by European settlers and they multiply like crazy when unchecked, so they can damage the ecosystem if they aren't controlled. Might as well eat them imo, it is better than letting it go to waste and expend another food source.

Alienfan

You'd think positive policies like this would also get countries to reflect on other animals we consume like I don't know... pigs. One of the smartest animals on the planet we often keep in conditions worse than our chickens. It baffles me how so many people in western countries cry over stories about dogs being turned into meat while chowing down on a bacon sandwich. Tastebuds win over human empathy I suppose

hirokazu

Not Australian, but aren't they considered pests? They were introduced by European settlers and they multiply like crazy when unchecked, so they can damage the ecosystem if they aren't controlled. Might as well eat them imo, it is better than letting it go to waste and expend another food source.
Oh yeah, they're pests when they become feral and threaten native species for sure.

But the guy had rabbits intended to be pets and he was just raising them to eat. It was kinda hilarious that they could seize the rabbits if he had been mistreating them but couldn't really do anything if he was just eating them.

You'd think positive policies like this would also get countries to reflect on other animals we consume like I don't know... pigs. One of the smartest animals on the planet we often keep in conditions worse than our chickens. It baffles me how so many people in western countries cry over stories about dogs being turned into meat while chowing down on a bacon sandwich. Tastebuds win over human empathy I suppose

There's no mystery. Humans are often irrational.

I don't really consider dogs and cats different from pigs. I want to eat them all

Dogs and cats have done it!!

They've been bred to be cute and friendly and have avoided being part of the human food chain!

6wIYO67.gif

QnkFrG3.gif

Dogs offer far more than just being cute and friendly, they help humans in all manner of ways which sets them apart from other animals.

Dogs offer far more than just being cute and friendly, they help humans in all manner of ways which sets them apart from other animals.

Most people own mutts or designer dogs and not drug sniffing dogs or seeing eye dogs. Giant rats might actually be better than dogs for that, but rats get a bad rep.
Some people find utility in your pet of choice therefore that somehow validates them as a whole.

Speciesism

There is nothing that competes with habit.

Sarcasm

As I live in Taiwan.

Nobody actually still eats it here. I never found cat or dog meat at the night market. Heck my friend wanted to try it and had to fly to another country (Vietnam).

Breakage

I used to look at my cat and think "there are people in this world that would sling you into a pot of boiling water alive and then eat you".

Sami+

Yeah, growing up Arab American meant I heard my parents talk about how gross and awful and weird it is that gross Americans are pig, and Americans being weirded out that we are stuffed liver or whatever. None of that shit really phases me anymore, let people eat what they eat. Damn.

moggio

Banned

Surely that applies to the human population too?

Long pig tastes nicer than rabbit imho as well.

Staccat0

Fail out bailed
The mass production of meat is a fucking horror show and I found it easy to opt out. Which is nice, cuz I get to also hate it when people eat doggies and not feel like a hypocrite!

hirokazu

dogs are tortured to make the meat taste better
Not Taiwan, yo.

The mass production of meat is a fucking horror show and I found it easy to opt out. Which is nice, cuz I get to also hate it when people eat doggies and not feel like a hypocrite!
I respect you. I've not given up meat even though I've pretty much resigned to believe most abbatoirs and slaughterhouses are hotbeds of abuse just waiting to be busted by animal rights groups.

Mh, is the only reason for this specific ban that they are considered pets? Don't think that's a good reason.

its not equal for all animals, but elevating some of them to be celebrated as part of human families and culture is a beautiful thing that brings out the best in both humans and the respective pets. Any reason to achieve this is a damn good reason imo especially when you hear that some of the ones killed were stolen from their owners, still wearing their collars.

what do you consider the downside to this?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom