• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TAKEDOWN: Red Sabre |OT| A Taste of Rainbow Six for Only the Price of a Vegas Buffet

Everdred

I think it has the potential to be a really great game, but it all depends on how long it will take them. People are going to move on if they don't fix it within a month or even two weeks.

BearPawB

Banned
Well this is the first truly awful game I have kickstarted. Which is a shame because i have a true love for rainbow six.

This game is an unplayable piece of garbage. DO NOT BUY.

Fox318

Well this is the first truly awful game I have kickstarted. Which is a shame because i have a true love for rainbow six.

Its the first day of launch man.

Give them time to patch it. They already said that they are working on it.

demolitio

Taking a guess by the time most of this shit is potentially fixed, people will have moved on for the most part. What a damn shame, especially since I only had a small amount of money and had to choose between a few games that I'm going to miss out on. To go from TB's first video to his last video is pretty sad.

soultron

Banned

Seems a little dramatic. Perhaps you should list what exactly is unplayable by your stanards. You may not be able to connect to online matches, but there's still SP.

Everdred

Started playing single player because multi player isn't working well. Mission mode is actually really fun and challenging. when you finally make it through a mission it's so rewarding. There is no hand holding when looking for objectives. You have to really search and learn the levels by trial.

demolitio

Started playing single player because multi player isn't working well. Mission mode is actually really fun and challenging. when you finally make it through a mission it's so rewarding. There is no hand holding when looking for objectives. You have to really search and learn the levels by trial.

Yea, the first few times I was so lost trying to find the objectives. Then by the time I knew what I was doing and was close to finishing a mission, the game decides to tell me my connection to the server was lost...in single player...lol.

With all the weapons being so lethal (and rightfully so), I'm having a hard time picking which one to use since they all basically get the job done. SMG's are nice for tight quarters and still easily take out enemies and so far, I don't see a reason not to use a suppressor either. I do love all the AR-15 platform variants they put in for all sorts of different calibers. Not many games actually do that and give you the selection between different ones chambered for different rounds. I mean, it makes sense for certain games to just give you the typical 5.56 variant but a lot of games these days focus on special forces so why not give us some of the options that they use then?

I just hope the bugs and all that don't scare away the community before it even has a chance to take off.

Shane

We've delayed our review for this as it was completely broken last night. One of us played it at PAX and had a good time. Such a shame. We'll be trying it throughout the weekend to see if it becomes stable. Now would be an appropriate time for a hard, tactical shooter.

I saw some people getting booted from single player due to a 'lost connection' message too. Bonkers.

mclem

Kinda sorry to hear that. I recall questioning the financials at the outset (I've just looked back at the original thread) and there was lots of talk about the Kickstarter being used to inspire investors to buy in to the project.

It does sound here like a predominant issue was a lack of resources, which suggests that maybe they didn't get what they wanted from those investors. 'That says, they might still have a reasonable chunk of money left over to iterate and improve what they do have available to them, it depends what their budgeting's been like.

(As I side note: My word, I flogged a particular dead horse relentlessly in that thread!)

Edit: Oh, just found this:

Funding Takedown via Kickstarter wasn't the developer's only means of making the game a reality. "Early on we had some angel investor interest, and that was our original direction," Allen said. "When I did the Kickstarter, I had these [venture capital] angel guys, and they were interested, and they bailed on us at a certain point." Allen said the developer also had "a lot of pressure to go free-to-play" from unnamed publishers located in China. In February of this year, Serellan found a publishing partner in 505 Games, 10 months after its Kickstarter project closed.

So the investors never actually showed? Yeah, that sounds like a significant lack of resources issue.

Kinda sorry to hear that. I recall questioning the financials at the outset (I've just looked back at the original thread) and there was lots of talk about the Kickstarter being used to inspire investors to buy in to the project.

It does sound here like a predominant issue was a lack of resources, which suggests that maybe they didn't get what they wanted from those investors. 'That says, they might still have a reasonable chunk of money left over to iterate and improve what they do have available to them, it depends what their budgeting's been like.

(As I side note: My word, I flogged a particular dead horse relentlessly in that thread!)

I followed development pretty closely on the official forums since I donated a sizable amount of money to the Kickstarter. The investors that were mentioned in the Kickstarter pitch never materialized and they announced the partnership with 505 Games only a few months ago. It seemed like even though they got a publisher, it didn't make a difference with regards to funding. I never got the sense that 505 really contributed anything but a little marketing to the project. So many compromises were made to features along the way, but to Serellan's credit he let the community decide on some of the stuff. Once they started making progress it became apparent they the game was going to be pretty "featureless". From Serellan's comments it doesn't seem like this is getting much if any support post-launch. 505 will probably help them get the game to a "working" state, but that's pretty much it. Any momentum the game had to be successful and warrant expansions, DLC or whatever is dead and gone after the launch debacle. If the community embraces the game for what it is, maybe the mod stuff will give it some legs.

I feel a little sorry for the devs behind this, because it did seem like they were passionate and put a good amount of work in, but they had a lot of things go against them in a short period of time. For this IP to be successful I think they needed that dual PC/360 launch and when the Microsoft Certification Police delayed the 360 launch that hurt a lot. Then you release really close to the time-sink that is GTA V and your game gets swept under the rug. Lastly it really seemed like there was pressure to release it now which was probably 6 months too early, whether that was for budget or strategic reasons, we may never know. Other than the art team who were formerly from Zipper who did a hell of a job with the environments and character models on a limited budget, the rest of the team's work didn't end up well. I can't sugarcoat it one bit, the UI guy needs to find another line of work. This is 2013, the menu system is unacceptable for a game made 10 years ago. The guy responsible for animations didn't deliver on his end at all either, as the only animation I think looks good in the game is the slow sideways strafe, the rest all look awful. During the Alpha, Kickstarters who played the game were asked to give feedback and the overwhelming concern with the game at that point in July was the enemy A.I. was poor. From what little I've dabbled with the game so far it doesn't seem very much different at all.

I still plan on picking this up on 360 (if it ever releases...and works online) just to play the co-op stuff with my buddies as my friends are starving for a "terrorist hunt" mode on consoles after being shafted by Ghost Recon Future Soldier and this game looks to at least do that well enough.

soultron

Banned
You could argue 2 things with the 360 version being delayed, in my opinion.

Negative: PC feedback from many has not been favourable.
Positive: Gaining distance from GTA5. Maybe once some people have cooled from GTA5 they'll be interested in this. Serellan also may be able to catch a few people unaware regarding the PC launch.

If the 360 community is willing to put up with the rather slim feature set, I can see this being a somewhat decent XBLA MP title -- I just hope the audience is there for it. Hopefully the UI works better on console as well. (It certainly has a console feel to it.)

One thing I've really started to dislike with KS is the split focus when trying to add a new platform. One of the challenges with MSFT is the cert process, and I suspect that dedicating resources to sim-ship the PC and 360 versions made the PC version suffer a bit.

I've really not put enough time into the game (barely 30 mins in solo T Hunt) but I really hope something good can come of this. Even if it's shopping this around as a proof of concept for a more fully featured sequel or even a fleshed out re-release. I just hope this isn't the end for Serellan. :c

Also, I'm waiting for more of the metrics and mod support details to come out since I want to support it with a map or two.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
If I can manage to join a game, I may try this today but I signed the petition to pull it from Steam. I wish it were a different situation as this seems to not parallel with the WarZ situation.

I really hope the mod support from the community keeps this afloat or I feel like I wasted money.

mclem

The investors that were mentioned in the Kickstarter pitch never materialized

That's basically exactly what I was worried about in my posts on the original thread. I wonder how much they were going to stump up; it's amazing how much extra resources actually give to a game in the long run. As one small tinfoil-hatted comment, though, I do hope they *really* existed.

Well, if nothing else, at least this gives us an approximate benchmark to wave at people: This is what a $200k budget buys you in the FPS field.

Edit: My word, the comments thread on the Kickstarter is depressing reading.

soultron

Banned
Played some SP mission mode, did the radar base and had a pretty intense session.

Started out OK, moving through the inner builds to get to the opposite corner of the map where 2 objectives are located. The map itself reminds me of a condensed Big Shell (MGS2) since there are walkways connecting smaller interiors. The connecting walkways are pretty deadly since you're exposed in a lot of different directions as you cross. If you've gone loud or alerted the NPCs, chances are they'll start opening doors to the walkways, gaining sightlines on you. That's how I lost my first operative; as we moved outside I got blind sided since I wasn't checking my corners.

I managed to move through to the radar dish side but the entire base was on alert at this point, so entering the interiors was also pretty dangerous. I lost 2 more guys in here and was left with my sniper-equipped final operative to finish the rest of the mission. I managed to make it to the last objective (securing a briefcase) without much more resistance, but as I was moving towards the LZ to extract I got jumped by an NPC moving around near the helipad. I got spooked and luckily managed to squeeze a burst from the hip to take him out since he was right in my face. That could've been the end right there, so close to the end of the mission.

I really wish the game had some kind of movement commands (you can only tell your squadmates to hold position or rally on you and follow) since you have to take point on everything and cannot coordinate any kind of breaches -- let alone multiple breach entries on a single room that has several doorways -- that you'd expect that involve stacking up and rushing in. You can't send your guys in once you've opened and/or breached a door -- you always have to be the first man in. And to that point, if you die, your next operative in line (if you have any) ends up being the way you correct your mistake. The NPCs don't really rush you, so you often have time to correct your aim on the offending NPC (that killed your previous operative) and then take him out.

This kind of lacking teammate AI really communicates that this game will be a lot of fun in COOP, but also really the only way to get the most out of it. More to the MP front -- I can only guess since I've not played it yet -- the base gunplay is there so I think it will be enjoyable versus real human beings. Hopefully I'll get the chance to confirm that soon.

I tried one terrorist hunt and was not super impressed by the game. I really wish there were more options such as AI team mates and choosing enemy count. Or maybe there are but I didn't see any.

soultron

Banned
I tried one terrorist hunt and was not super impressed by the game. I really wish there were more options such as AI team mates and choosing enemy count. Or maybe there are but I didn't see any.
Being able to customise teammate load outs (maybe they use yours?) would be nice too. Having a teammate with a sniper that's unsupressed doesn't help when you're trying to stay quiet (but have offensive ROE) and he won't switch to his sidearm when indoors/in CQB situations. It also is a bit pointless how they have equipment but will not use it themselves, you cannot tell them to use it, and/or you cannot switch to them at will so you can use a tool they have in their load out that you do not.

When it boils down to it, you're the only one who can use grenades or charges since the AI has no throw behaviours, at least from what I've seen.

It's a tough pill to swallow since, with more time, these systems probably could've been put in place so that solo play could be more than the base gunplay that's included. As is, the game is dependent on having other humans in the same session for more rewarding companions and/or opposition.

Edit: I may have some things incorrect, it's mainly based on my hour of total playtime in SP Mission and solo T Hunt modes.

Everdred

A patched has been pushed out that is suppose to fix the follow:
-The correct exe will now run automatically depending upon your windows version (Win32/Win64)

-Servers will be displayed now in the Steam list to enhance visibility of games being played, plus accuracy of information being shown.

-TTS/Text to speech feature has been removed

-TAKEDOWN process now ends properly which will alleviate some server conflicts.

soultron

Banned
A patched has been pushed out that is suppose to fix the follow:
-The correct exe will now run automatically depending upon your windows version (Win32/Win64)

-Servers will be displayed now in the Steam list to enhance visibility of games being played, plus accuracy of information being shown.

-TTS/Text to speech feature has been removed

-TAKEDOWN process now ends properly which will alleviate some server conflicts.

Has it been issued yet? I've not checked but I know this went up (23 Sept) on the game's Steam library page: http://steamcommunity.com/games/236510/announcements/detail/1659864895730247930

EDIT: Don't think it's up yet since it's still starting 32-bit for me and won't end its own process when X'ing out to quit.

EDIT2: Yeah, definitely not out yet. http://www.serellan.com/forums/index.php?/topic/3129-incoming-patch/

Everdred

Has it been issued yet? I've not checked but I know this went up (23 Sept) on the game's Steam library page: http://steamcommunity.com/games/236510/announcements/detail/1659864895730247930

EDIT: Don't think it's up yet since it's still starting 32-bit for me and won't end its own process when X'ing out to quit.

EDIT2: Yeah, definitely not out yet. http://www.serellan.com/forums/index.php?/topic/3129-incoming-patch/
Yeah, their announcement was a little misleading. They said it would be released shortly, which most people thought implied within 24 hours. About 12 hours ago, they said the patch was in "testing" so it's hard to say when it will be released.

That's basically exactly what I was worried about in my posts on the original thread. I wonder how much they were going to stump up; it's amazing how much extra resources actually give to a game in the long run. As one small tinfoil-hatted comment, though, I do hope they *really* existed.

Well, if nothing else, at least this gives us an approximate benchmark to wave at people: This is what a $200k budget buys you in the FPS field.

Edit: My word, the comments thread on the Kickstarter is depressing reading.

I backed the kickstarter fairly early on, and followed development for a while.

The initial point of this project was to build an alpha that would entice a publisher to pick up the game and give it proper funding.

Jackpot

Banned
I get the feeling this is going to sink without trace. Patch process has been uber-slow and there isn't enough content for people to dick around with whilst they work on the game. I uninstalled mine a few days ago.

Yikes!

Takedown: Red Sabre Review - GameSpot.com

By Brett Todd
Takedown: Red Sabre is an unfinished, broken mess of a tactical shooter that offers not even one redemptive bright spot.
The Bad
Broken and incomplete Terrible enemy AI No squad options when it comes to engaging in tactical battles Buggy, limited multiplayer modes of play.

There is nothing in Takedown: Red Sabre that would encourage even the most middling sort of recommendation. Even the sound quality is awful. Weapon fire sounds as if it's coming from everywhere, making it impossible to locate enemies shooting at you by the sound, even when they're blazing away with something as loud as a combat shotgun. This is a game that should not have been released in its current state, and is certainly not one you should waste your time and money on.

mclem

The initial point of this project was to build an alpha that would entice a publisher to pick up the game and give it proper funding.

Well, yes... but it didn't. That was my fear at the time, and it panned out.

The tinfoil hat statement - and I have to specify that it's just something that I have to observe was plausible, not really a direct accusation of anything below-board - was to highlight a possibility that there never were these angel investors; that the Kickstarter was in fact hoped to be successful enough to get fully-funded from KS alone.

Short of one coming forward, we can't actually know - but I do think this would be a very different and much better game had money come in from them.

Everdred

Patch #3 detailed:
Steam/UE3 Authentication Updates to improve connectivity

You will no longer required to be logged into Steam to save your profile settings

Provided a suppressor to Squad Mate #3 - based on forum feedback

When playing against someone who has not yet installed a patch (or if you haven't installed the latest available patch yourself), you should now have a more accurate message (instead of referencing a "downloadable content" mismatch)

Many doors have been closed in various locations - based on forum feedback

HQ Alley: host should no longer spawn next to the Defender

UI no longer shows incorrect player counts in Last Man Standing

In Radar Base in Last Man Standing game mode, missing doors have been fixed

Steam language selection should now function correctly with TAKEDOWN: Red Sabre

Updated several mis-translations in the Spanish version - based on forum feedback

Added audio indicators (beeps) to bombs in Att/Def to more easily locate them - based on forum feedback
Was hoping for something a little better. By the time this game is up to snuff everyone will have forgot. BF4, COD, next gen consoles... It's already too late.

Top Bottom