• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tale of Symphonia VS Starocean 3

I only have time to play one. For those who have played both, which would you pick if you can only play one and why?

Thanks

Necroscope

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
Pick up Tales of Symphonia since it's coming out now, and when you beat it pick up Star Ocean 3 when you have the time. It's simple, really.

TekunoRobby said:
Pick up Tales of Symphonia since it's coming out now, and when you beat it pick up Star Ocean 3 when you have the time. It's simple, really.

That's my plan.

Although, my interest in SO3 had died down a LOT considering how much it was delayed. I'd be more interested in ToS either way, I think.

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
I feel their about the same deal as almost every review I've read has mentioned that they have the typical shitty story combined with fantastic battle engines. The art thing is fairly subjective. Why don't you buy one and then trade for the other?

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I still can't believe Game Informer actually stated that Star Ocean 3 has some of the worst sound and music in an RPG. Sound? Maybe...but music?! I have no respect for their tastes as a result...

Bebpo

Banned
dark10x said:
I still can't believe Game Informer actually stated that Star Ocean 3 has some of the worst sound and music in an RPG. Sound? Maybe...but music?! I have no respect for their tastes as a result...

One thing you have to take into account is that some people judge rpg music from what they hear in the game and don't listen to soundtracks.

From how it's used in-game, I preferred ToS's music over SO3 by a large margin. But SO3 wins when listening to the OSTs.

dark10x

Bebpo said:
One thing you have to take into account is that some people judge rpg music from what they hear in the game and don't listen to soundtracks.

From how it's used in-game, I preferred ToS's music over SO3 by a large margin. But SO3 wins when listening to the OSTs.

Seriously? I've actually played some Star Ocean 3 before and thought that the music was used beautifully. It made scenes that normally wouldn't matter MUCH more powerful. On the flipside, I really don't like ToS's music much at all. I don't know why, but all of Sakuraba's Tales soundtracks fail to impress me (both in game and in soundtrack form).

You were totally spot on with the music observations in XS2, but SO3? I obviously haven't finished SO3 (as I don't own it), so I've only had limited experience. What were your problems with it?

Shouta

I loved the ingame music for SO3 more than I did ToS too. You also have to remember that a lot of reviewers don`t actually finish games ;p. Sound was good too unless they`re snarking against the ENglish dub.

Soul4ger

dark10x said:
...and why is that? (hint - you read Gamepro) :p

Hey, it's sitting in the shitter at EB. I get bored back there sometimes. And you ever have one of those times where your brain just types a word by habit. Hence, Faction replaced Factor.

*Edit* - Editted for moronic redundancy.

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
Just in case it wasn't clear, both are worth picking up and playing. None of this VS. silliness, both demand your attention (even if not now atleast at some point in the year).

Bebpo

Banned
dark10x said:
Seriously? I've actually played some Star Ocean 3 before and thought that the music was used beautifully. It made scenes that normally wouldn't matter MUCH more powerful. On the flipside, I really don't like ToS's music much at all. I don't know why, but all of Sakuraba's Tales soundtracks fail to impress me (both in game and in soundtrack form).

You were totally spot on with the music observations in XS2, but SO3? I obviously haven't finished SO3 (as I don't own it), so I've only had limited experience. What were your problems with it?

Well it comes down to personal preference I think. I've never been a huge fan of Sakuraba. The whole super thrash 80's/early 90's guitar stuff he's done for years in all his soundtracks is not a style I really dig in rpgs. The only soundtrack of Sakuraba's that I've really loved is Baten Kaitos since it uses a lot of symphonic and string instruments.

I enjoyed his ToS in-game just because it had more of a 16-bit simple synth feel to it which fits the old-school look/theme that the game is going for. I enjoyed his ToDII score in-game for the same reason. The Tales of... games all have this nostalgic "still in the 16-bit" era feel and I think the music compliments it well.

Personally the types of music I enjoy in rpgs are usually symphonic like DQ, melodic like FF, march/metal like Sakamoto or Hirota's Shadow Hearts compositions, or anything just bizarre and experimental. So you might see why I'm not really into Sakuraba's music.

dark10x

Bebpo said:
Well it comes down to personal preference I think. I've never been a huge fan of Sakuraba. The whole super thrash 80's/early 90's guitar stuff he's done for years in all his soundtracks is not a style I really dig in rpgs. The only soundtrack of Sakuraba's that I've really loved is Baten Kaitos since it uses a lot of symphonic and string instruments.

I enjoyed his ToS in-game just because it had more of a 16-bit simple synth feel to it which fits the old-school look/theme that the game is going for.

Personally the types of music I enjoy in rpgs are usually symphonic like DQ, melodic like FF, march/metal like Sakamoto or Hirota's Shadow Hearts compositions, or anything just bizarre and experimental. So you might see why I'm not really into Sakuraba's music.

Well, you see, I also happen to love those types of music just as much. My tastes are extremely broad. I am a big fan of Sakuraba's work, though, I must admit. :p

I don't understand how you enjoyed BK's soundtrack but not SO3's. BK sounds a LOT like SO3's first soundtrack. However, there is the second OST which has very different music. I actually thought it mixed pretty well, though, in game and seemed to focus on both. More variety than BK with the same top quality.

Bebpo

Banned
dark10x said:
Well, you see, I also happen to love those types of music just as much. My tastes are extremely broad. I am a big fan of Sakuraba's work, though, I must admit. :p

Yeah, I've just never been huge on hard rock in games. GGXX is probably the only thing I can stand because it fits the insanity of the action well. SO3's battles aren't fast and crazy enough to fit the feeling that kind of music gives off IMO.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
I think Baten Kaitos is the best Sakuraba has ever done.

I've never been able to take the Tales of soundtracks as seriously, though I think his best battle tracks belong to that series of games.

I LOVE the SO2 soundtrack, but SO3 left me cold. Boring, boring, boring.

Not a huge fan of the ToS OST, but I like it much better than SO3, which just plain sucked imho. I was very disappointed.

dark10x

Mejilan said:
I LOVE the SO2 soundtrack, but SO3 left me cold. Boring, boring, boring.

Not a huge fan of the ToS OST, but I like it much better than SO3, which just plain sucked imho. I was very disappointed.

How on earth could you possibly think that way?! What exactly was wrong with SO3's soundtrack? If you didn't like BK's, I wouldn't have replied...but damn, I can't understand how one could hate one while loving the other. SO3 sounds so incredibly similar while offering a lot more variety.

Rating ToS's completely shit soundtrack over SO3 is just...just...

I can't even believe it.

Mejilan

SO3 bored me to tears. IIRC, I have both of the OST Volumes, and the arranged. Skipped on the vocal one, I think.

dark10x

Mejilan said:
SO3 bored me to tears. IIRC, I have both of the OST Volumes, and the arranged. Skipped on the vocal one, I think.

I don't know what to say. I couldn't possibly disagree more. :\

Mejilan

I wanted to love it. That's really all I could say.

I still listen to the SO2 OST and SO2 arranged album all the time.

dark10x

I dunno, I love all of those same albums too...but SO3 stands right next to them. Heck, BK is my least favorite of the bunch as it starts to melt together after listening for a bit (there is very little variety in comparison to the others).

You even have the arrange album...how could you not like 01 - The Dawn of Wisdom~The Incarnation of Devil or 09 - Till the End of Time?!?!

The only other RPG soundtracks from 2003 that could touch SO3 were Dragon Quarter, UNLIMITED SaGa, Baten Kaitos, and Ys VI. Those 5 soundtracks were all continue to be played to this day with US and SO3 grabbing the most attention.

I know opinions vary, but sometimes I honestly can't understand how an opinion could be so...different. Especially when you consider how they feel about other things.

I've seen some STRANGE things these last two days...

I watched Eraserhead last night...and I hear THIS tonight. I can't decide which is actually the most disturbing. :p

Mejilan

*giggles*

Tell you what, today I just got over a strange Zelda music fixation I've been having. So starting tomorrow, I'll give SO3 another shot. (Still on my iPod.)

Unlimited Saga has some really good stuff. I love the main theme and first battle theme. Not a very consistent album, however, imho. BK, I love BK so much because it IS so consistent. I guess some would call that monotonous. But it's got some of the most stunning songs I've heard in years.

Ys 6 was a hard one. I HATED it at first. Nothing like the first 4. Was always unhappy with 5 and 6. But I gave both some more time, and I grew to love both 5 and 6 in their own respects (if still not nearly as much as 1-4.)

BoF5 - DQ is much like US for me. Occasionally stunning, occasionally boring, often somewhere in between.

dark10x

Mejilan said:
*giggles*

Tell you what, today I just got over a strange Zelda music fixation I've been having. So starting tomorrow, I'll give SO3 another shot. (Still on my iPod.)

Unlimited Saga has some really good stuff. I love the main theme and first battle theme. Not a very consistent album, however, imho. BK, I love BK so much because it IS so consistent. I guess some would call that monotonous. But it's got some of the most stunning songs I've heard in years.

Ys 6 was a hard one. I HATED it at first. Nothing like the first 4. Was always unhappy with 5 and 6. But I gave both some more time, and I grew to love both 5 and 6 in their own respects (if still not nearly as much as 1-4.)

BoF5 - DQ is much like US for me. Occasionally stunning, occasionally boring, often somewhere in between.

Good. Try again. :p

With most games, actually PLAYING the game tends to increase ones enjoyment. In the case of Ys 6, I actually had finished the game by the time I started listening to the real soundtrack. By that time, I had actually grown to love the music. Loved that game, I did!

Oddly enough, I enjoyed the OST for Dragon Quarter so much that it actually pushed me to buy the game (which I loved). It was so unique sounding yet still familiar. I really enjoyed most of the music.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Electric Supply Building on the Dragon Quarter OST is one of the most brilliantly executed pieces of dungeon music I have heard in a game. I love that track!

Top Bottom