• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Graces ƒ |OT| Gracing the PS3 with the Best RPG Combat

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Griding, talking, and exploring. :p

I beat the game in 70 hours. +10 if you include future arc.

Yuripaw

Banned
Griding, talking, and exploring. :p

I beat the game in 70 hours. +10 if you include future arc.

I still don't see how you put that much time into the child arc unless most of it really was grinding. I've been looking around all the enviorments, and talking with all the NPCs in the game so far, but it really doesn't seem like many of them have much to say unless there's something I'm missing.

I'm not trying to talk negatively about this game, because I'm actually really enjoying it so far. I have tried to get into a Tales game for so long, and this is the first one that has really hooked me. I still gotta play Vesperia someday. I've probably put 20 hours into it this one so far though, and I'm up to the part where I'm heading to
Fendel
. Really like all the characters, and the story is just interesting enough to keep me wanting to see what happens next.

vall03

Finally finished the main game, nothing really stood out with the ending, its ok I guess. Started Future arc and stopped for a while to check the Grade Shop, surprisingly enough, I had enough grade for all the stuff that I want except for the expensive "Inherit all Skills".

I have a couple of questions though, is it recommended getting the x2/x5 damage? Im quite afraid of taking it because it also affects enemies. Also, any other benefits inheriting Carta cards? They're only used in that mini-game right?

Yuripaw

Banned
without spoilers, is the future arc that i keep seeing people talk about just some bonus epilogue? or is it important to the main story of the game?

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Finally finished the main game, nothing really stood out with the ending, its ok I guess. Started Future arc and stopped for a while to check the Grade Shop, surprisingly enough, I had enough grade for all the stuff that I want except for the expensive "Inherit all Skills".

I have a couple of questions though, is it recommended getting the x2/x5 damage? Im quite afraid of taking it because it also affects enemies. Also, any other benefits inheriting Carta cards? They're only used in that mini-game right?

You don't need the Cartas. Go for the x2 and x5 damage if you want to get the under 60 secs trophies but be sure to partner it with the extended inventory bonus for life bottles. Besides, if you hit the enemy once, they'll die quickly.

vall03

You don't need the Cartas. Go for the x2 and x5 damage if you want to get the under 60 secs trophies but be sure to partner it with the extended inventory bonus for life bottles. Besides, if you hit the enemy once, they'll die quickly.

sure battles will be fast and easy, but what about bosses? maybe I'll think about this later, just started Future arc anyway, theres still a long way to go.

ULTROS!

Boss battles lasted less than 20 secs for me on evil/hard. It's definitely not a problem because they can't even reach eleth break. :D

sure battles will be fast and easy, but what about bosses? maybe I'll think about this later, just started Future arc anyway, theres still a long way to go.

10x damage makes bosses a lot easier. You won't be able to kill them in one hit, but you should be able to kill them with your opening combo. Random encounters are sometimes more annoying because your party members will randomly get 1-hit by something all the time

Boss battles lasted less than 20 secs for me on evil/hard. It's definitely not a problem because they can't even reach eleth break. :D

Really? My Eleth guage climbs at a snail's pace on bosses while their's skyrockets no matter how much damage I dish out.

But that didn't keep me from unleashing Sapphiring Squad on Cedric for an epic finish :D

Datschge

How is DI-LMBS compared to DS-LMBS? Typical Sypmhonia-like LMBS?

Feel wise I have no idea, I'm honestly not interested in the game nor the Vita. Schala gladly already wrote what the battle system appears to work like. Looking at gameplay videos it certainly doesn't take after Graces.

Well I started NG+ today and got all the way to Fendel. I just have 4 more in 60 seconds trophies to go.

Kurt, Polycarpus, Lambda, and Fodra Queen

scy

Having 2 Cherias or 2 Maliks sounds awesome!
So, getting the materials to dualize the dolls is the hard part?

Depends. They have a 4% or 8% drop rate (varies) but you only need 6 and most the enemies aren't rare (off-hand, the rarest is
Sigma for Corrupted Edge, used in Asbel's doll, but he's merely uncommon and is in the last two dungeons of the game
). The drops are introduced over the course of the future arc dungeons so you'll be seeing the enemies for them basically the entire time.

Honestly? They're not even remotely close to rare but I was on Chaos, +Loot drop titles (on everyone), and +Loot drop Food (Potato Salad, Radish Steak). I did use the occasional Drop Bottle on the enemies that had 1% Weapon drops but the material drops there were usually unneeded extras.

I had the materials for 15 of each drop long before I even got my Soul Orbs.

I have a couple of questions though, is it recommended getting the x2/x5 damage? Im quite afraid of taking it because it also affects enemies.

For what it's worth, you won't need x10 Damage to get the 60s Trophies. It just makes them a lot easier.

kewlmyc

What's everyone's problem with the childhood arc? I loved that part and actually thought its biggest fault is that it's too short. It has a severely dumbed battle system, but it's at the beginning of the game, so I didn't mind.

When the most appealing part of the game is combat, we don't want to spend the first 4 hours of it playing a waterdowned version.

Kandrick

GAF's Ed McMahon
I liked the child arc. Asbel was a character back then!

And is it just me or is there zero party chemistry in this game? Everyone is just ... Around.

It's not just you. Everyone is just there... because. Worst case is Pascal, while being the best character in the game, it feels like the creators just put her there to help plot progress and move.

ULTROS!

I like how Malik trolls everyone despite all of them being safe and "all around".

Palom

I thought 10x damage killed the fun of the game. I used it on my second play-through, and now I'm planning a third one to finish up everything because I can't stand 10x damage. Half the fun of the battle system is combos. I think the highest I've done (on
Fodra
now) in a regular fight is maybe 8 hits on Chaos.

So can someone explain to me ways to recharge your cc gauge faster? I know If you hit all the weak points it refills. And I believe there are item stats that boost recharge rate.

Anything else?

Animekatt

Clearly the best part of future Arc is Malik's trolling in every skit he's in.

Oh yeah the tag team of trolling with Malik and
Richard ("I'm the Mask of Barona!!!!")
is great. Also the whole thing with
Hubert's crush on Pascal, and everyone teasing him about it
was funny.

Chris R

Just got to the Rockgagong. Am I close to a good grinding spot yet or should I just continue on for now? I want to get some of those titles from 3/5 to 5/5 :p

Just got to the Rockgagong. Am I close to a good grinding spot yet or should I just continue on for now? I want to get some of those titles from 3/5 to 5/5 :p

I'd say the dungeon you're about to get into is a good spot to grind, there is a cabin with a free heal spot AND a turtlez merchant to recharge your eleth and stock items.

ULTROS!

Yeah. The Rockgagong and Strahta area is good.

.................. I played the final dungeon in the F arc again for an hour, the same as last night... I felt a headache and confusing and ended up turning the game off and laying on my bed resting.

SERIOUSLY THE WORST DUNGEON EVEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEER.

It just make NO FREAKING SENSE :\

Esura

Banned
.................. I played the final dungeon in the F arc again for an hour, the same as last night... I felt a headache and confusing and ended up turning the game off and laying on my bed resting.

I hate that dungeon as well.

It feels like every RPG I played as of late have absurd, overly labyrinth last dungeons. Stuff is annoying.

Personally I enjoyed it more then the final dungeon in the main arc, mostly because there isn't a whole lot of length to the f arc once you get past the first area (which is confusing). The final dungeon in the main arc just keeps going and going and going.

RPGCrazied

Heh, I just noticed they added Hubert's Flynn costume. I might have to get that at some point, but damn, $4.00?? That's ridiculous.

ULTROS!

If I'd rank the worst dungeons in Graces f, they'd definitely be:

1. Final dungeon of the future arc
2. Wallbridge
3. Wallbridge Ruins

I really didn't find it to be too bad. I got thought it with no problems on my first try in about 30-40 mins (the first part at least, the rest is pretty straight forward). I would suggest just pay attention to when you get sent back to level 1 and try to tackle it in a systematic way. From the starting point i started by going all the way down and hitting the elevators. And then as I get sent back up, progressing counterclockwise through level 1. It all just seemed to work out and I didn't have to back track at all.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
I hate that dungeon as well.

It feels like every RPG I played as of late have absurd, overly labyrinth last dungeons. Stuff is annoying.

Which dungeon? I thought last two dungeons were easy. Arcadia Forest was tricky but I managed to found the right track under a hour.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Beat English Future Arc last night. Got 1.25 on the timer which wasn't great (best thing to do in that battle is take 1 melee character and 2-3 spellcasters in that battle (so Narikiri dolls are fun) for the very beginning; also fight battles so you can increase the duration of your Arles Rise, get your Accel Gauges to max, use items to boost your arles gauge to max during the boss battle so that boss will never get into arles break, etc. Dualizing weapons constantly will help out too.), but I wanted to sleep so I didn't bother trying again. Made a separate save so I can try it again.

The F Arc ending was sweet in both versions. But as for one Future Arc character...
I don't like English λ's voice at all. JP λ sounded better and felt like he fit the character more

Now to the Zone Cage (next weekend, most likely, since next week is exam/marking week).

but as long as you don't say Tempest or VS you're okay in my book.
Fixed. Tempest and VS are utterly awful and I would advise people to stay away from them.

Clearly the best part of future Arc is Malik's trolling in every skit he's in.
And let's not forget (future arc character spoilers)
Richard's constant trolling and THE MASKED BARONA

If I'd rank the worst dungeons in Graces f, they'd definitely be:

1. Final dungeon of the future arc
2. Wallbridge
3. Wallbridge Ruins
There is no reason I should be getting lost every time I play through Wallbridge... and I've played through this game three times! (Non-NG+ playthroughs, mind you!). Game needed a map.

Though F Arc dungeon appears to have not been much of a problem this time around for me--it felt pretty straightforward to me.

So can someone explain to me ways to recharge your cc gauge faster? I know If you hit all the weak points it refills. And I believe there are item stats that boost recharge rate.

Anything else?
Dodging at the almost last minute can help out with CC restore, and also hitting stunned enemies (ie: the ones with stars flying on their heads) can instantly recharge your CC. Dualize with refill shards (which is probably what you were getting with the items).

ULTROS!

The 999 hit combo trophy is starting to make me angry. :p

I only have three Huberts.

Are there alternative ways that are easy to do?

Psst...

There's no 999 hit combo trophy. I learned it the hard way. :p

Dark Schala said:
Though F Arc dungeon appears to have not been much of a problem this time around for me--it felt pretty straightforward to me.

The rest of the floors were okay actually except for the first floor, where I got stuck warping to the lower floors non-stop, only to find out they were dead ends. Got stuck there for 2-3 hours X_X.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
The 999 hit combo trophy is starting to make me angry. :p

I only have three Huberts.

Are there alternative ways that are easy to do?
Aw... we probably should've said that there's no 999 hit combo trophy in this game. :S

Well, there's 100 hit trophy in Xillia, but 100 hits is easy to get in that game.

The rest of the floors were okay actually except for the first floor, where I got stuck warping to the lower floors non-stop, only to find out they were dead ends. Got stuck there for 2-3 hours X_X.
Yeah, the first floor is a pain in the butt. Those three dungeons you listed enforces the game's need for a map system, imo. Not really an onscreen map as opposed to the compass, but maybe a map to pull up every now and then.

Xillia has a map you can pull up every now and then.

I've avoided all trophy guides until this point, assumed one was 999 hit.

The rest seem easy enough for me now, just Inn Requests and the secret roost stuff really.

And mixer to 9999 but that's easy and just farming.

scy

Oh thank god at the 999 hit trophy. Didn't think there was one but that had me worried that I missed something :x I have enough trouble finding enemies to last long enough to get me to 200 :(

And let's not forget (future arc character spoilers)
Richard's constant trolling and THE MASKED BARONA

The entire reason that arc exists is for this.
Alright, and for people like me to get the pairing payoffs

There is no reason I should be getting lost every time I play through Wallbridge... and I've played through this game three times! (Non-NG+ playthroughs, mind you!). Game needed a map.

Oddly, Wallbridge didn't get me lost when I was going through it. When I went back for the Hide & Seek mini-game? Holy crap, what the hell happened to me.

And the final f dungeon is pretty much straightforward as far as I could tell. Dunno, maybe I lucked out a lot.

Aw. Try Moderate and work your way up. You'll get the hang of it. You can't really take advantage of the system in its fullest earlier on because you don't have the ability to style-shift yet, nor do the kids have the cooler Artes. It's probably best to get through that part quickly and get the better stuff to experience the system in its full glory, imo.

I was thinking about changing the difficulty, but I think I'll soldier on. The game feels a lot more rewarding on Hard. If I come across an insurmountable obstacle I'll just plan a strategy around it.

Fucking
Bryce
, man. That fight took me about 5 tries until I switched to Sophie and let him have it. Got the 60 second trophy on my last try, so I'm happy. I'm getting the hang of combat, but there's only so much you can do with Asbel at that stage. Those 2 bears on the way up the cliffside were another challenge for me - only took my one try but I had to revive Asbel a couple times.

Anyone know if I get extra grade points at the end of the game for sticking to hard mode throughout? Would switching up the difficulty mess that up?

demonkaze

When's the best time to do the optional end game stuff? I'm just before the final dungeon on the main arc and I'm finishing up the inn requests (playing on chaos). I tried the first cameo battle at warriors roost and I'm getting destroyed. Am I expected to be able to do that at this point?

bubnbob

Banned
When's the best time to do the optional end game stuff? I'm just before the final dungeon on the main arc and I'm finishing up the inn requests (playing on chaos). I tried the first cameo battle at warriors roost and I'm getting destroyed. Am I expected to be able to do that at this point?

You can do it any time you want. Just drop the difficulty ;)

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
The entire reason that arc exists is for this.
Alright, and for people like me to get the pairing payoffs
Oh, certainly. Future Arc makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside too. :3

Anyone know if I get extra grade points at the end of the game for sticking to hard mode throughout? Would switching up the difficulty mess that up?
You could try using Sophie manually since she sort of has more moves.

The Clear Bonus multiplier is dependent if you clear the final boss on whatever difficulty (with hard difficulties giving you a better clear bonus). You don't have to play the entire game on that difficulty, so feel free to switch it up whenever. Just clear the game on that difficulty to get the bonus.

(Chapter 5 Spoilers? I guess? I dunno. It has to do with food, not plot.) I think this one's absolutely adorable.

Top Bottom