• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Graces ƒ |OT| Gracing the PS3 with the Best RPG Combat

Sagitario

I'm pretty sure the difficulty still unlocks the same, but I don't know about the ex dungeon. Maybe you missed the sidequest that opens it? I don't know why they would change this considering how little else they changed.
I have the dungeon, what I can't get is the difficulty unlock like the PS2 version. New File+ = Unknown unlocked. Old save file = Hard and that's it.

On a more related note, Expiation is absolutely glorious. I never get tired of seeing it.

Cheria's Trillion Drive for me. Love the sound effects, graphics and animation, and Cheria's speech.

PKrockin

I have the dungeon, what I can't get is the difficulty unlock like the PS2 version. New File+ = Unknown unlocked. Old save file = Hard and that's it.

Huh... that's bizarre. Wonder why it was changed.

Cheria's Trillion Drive for me. Love the sound effects, graphics and animation, and Cheria's speech.
That's my favorite out of Cheria's, although Punishing Blossom's animation is up there too.

One thing I appreciate about MAs in this game is that if you finish the last enemy with one it goes straight to the results screen instead of cutting back to the battle view just to show the enemy falling over. That makes them a more satisfying as finishers. Cleaning up with Stampede Strike early in the game was so good... the screen would start transitioning before Asbel even started falling.

Riposte

Hmm... so the Rockgagong or w/e parasite. On hard.

This fight is driving me crazy. I've tried a bunch of things, but I'm not convinced I have the tools to beat it. To put it bluntly:
Having to face 8 or so powerful, high-health clones of the boss who all cast fast and destructive spells is just so completely beyond the any previous expectations the game asked of me previously that I can't but laugh. Reading it on paper I can't help but think it is broken, at least relative to every previous encounter in the game. Obviously AoEs are the answer, but they are too slow, too small, and the targets are too unpredictable for it to matter (not to mention I don't see how I could "tank" them in the meanwhile). My best adaptation is draining the enemy's eleth or w/e bar before hand so it isn't completely impossible.

I just don't get it. Apparently people have beat it on Hard (I got so annoyed I looked up whether this fight was especially challenging). Maybe they are min-maxing like crazy. Where I'm standing it seems like it would have be a string many lucky happenings and not really based on any sort of skill. Or grind until the game is broken.

Having to drop it to Normal would be ridiculous.

This fight is driving me crazy. I've tried a bunch of things, but I'm not convinced I have the tools to beat it. To put it bluntly:
Having to face 8 or so powerful, high-health clones of the boss who all cast fast and destructive spells is just so completely beyond the any previous expectations the game asked of me previously that I can't but laugh. Reading it on paper I can't help but think it is broken, at least relative to every previous encounter in the game. Obviously AoEs are the answer, but they are too slow, too small, and the targets are too unpredictable for it to matter (not to mention I don't see how I could "tank" them in the meanwhile). My best adaptation is draining the enemy's eleth or w/e bar before hand so it isn't completely impossible.

I just don't get it. Apparently people have beat it on Hard (I got so annoyed I looked up whether this fight was especially challenging). Maybe they are min-maxing like crazy. Where I'm standing it seems like it would have be a string many lucky happenings and not really based on any sort of skill. Or grind until the game is broken.

Pretty sure I had to drop it to normal for this fight. Kept on getting stunlocked. Iron Guard can only do so much.

Riposte

Pretty sure I had to drop it to normal for this fight. Kept on getting stunlocked. Iron Guard can only do so much.

I'm reading people can beat it, so I refuse to assume that I can't do it. I'd be furious if I had to lower the difficulty.

EDIT: Maybe my gear isn't great? It isn't +3-4 stuff or w/e.

PKrockin

I pretty much just spammed the hell out of Gale Maw. IIRC it hits all weaknesses so you recover CC each time you attack. Inverse Pressure is easy to sidestep and and doing so with good timing will boost your eleth gauge... once you get an eleth burst, use Calamity Rondo for its large AOE. Turn off the other characters' MAs so the AI doesn't use them.

You could try playing as Cheria, turn off Asbel's attacks except Gale Maw, and draw aggro. Use her wider-AOE left/right a-artes and focus on dodging. Successfully timing a dodge gives you tons of invincibility frames and makes it easier to continue dodging.

Ultimately I think the key is to get most of them to target you and abuse side stepping for the invincibility frames and Eleth Burst, and to give your other party members relief.

Gvaz

Banned
Do you get the achievement if you beat the last guy on the hardest diff, or does the entire game have to be at that difficulty to get it.

MechaX

Not going to lie, you are going to encounter this kind of scenario on bosses a lot if you're going to play it on a difficulty beyond Hard Mode. And from the parasite bosses, it only gets worse on certain bosses (I know it doesn't seem like that it can get worse than 8 enemies spamming really powerful spells at very quick casting speeds, but... it definitely gets worse).

People online usually beat it either by chugging items, spamming very particular moves that exploit enemy's elemental weaknesses, finding ways to stunlock the enemy, or coming in with very high levels and/or dualized equipment. But turning the difficulty down is the most common suggestion in these kinds of situations.

I exploited a full Eleth Gauge and dropped hot fiyah on them constantly by setting both Malik and Cheria to use as efficient as possible AoEs, Sophie to heal like mad (big heals mean nothing, it's the constant snuffing of casts that doom ya), while I corralled with Asbel like a border collie possessed (this is a valuable skill to learn for later on A Certain Other Boss).

Gvaz

Banned
That's lame I couldn't put Hubert in his place. I literally had him down to 0 HP and the game wouldn't let me kill him, I was whooping his ass with fuckin +2 items on Evil difficulty :(

PKrockin

That's lame I couldn't put Hubert in his place. I literally had him down to 0 HP and the game wouldn't let me kill him, I was whooping his ass with fuckin +2 items on Evil difficulty :(

Yeah, I would have preferred it if you could beat him and at least get some experience and herbs or something as a reward, even if the cutscene afterward didn't change or just showed Hubert get winded (but still beat you as the plot demands). That's what they did with the unbeatable bosses in Symphonia IIRC.

kiyomi

Kinda dumb question, but I need to know and can't quite find the answer I'm looking for.

How does effect stacking work in regards to titles?

For instance, if I have +3 EVA unlocked on, say, 3 titles, are all those stacking up to create +9 EVA? If so, is that a permanent increase, or just when I have a title activated that utilizes +3 EVA?

And when I get a notification that one of my artes has 'upgraded', what exactly is that doing to the arte? Simply increased accuracy and damage?

I'm about 12 hours in and not really paid a lot of attention to the stats side of things, lol. It's a great game though, the combat is exceptional, it took me a while for it to click, this is my first Tales game and really enjoying it. Pascal ftw.

PKrockin

Kinda dumb question, but I need to know and can't quite find the answer I'm looking for.

How does effect stacking work in regards to titles?

For instance, if I have +3 EVA unlocked on, say, 3 titles, are all those stacking up to create +9 EVA? If so, is that a permanent increase, or just when I have a title activated that utilizes +3 EVA?

And when I get a notification that one of my artes has 'upgraded', what exactly is that doing to the arte? Simply increased accuracy and damage?

I'm about 12 hours in and not really paid a lot of attention to the stats side of things, lol. It's a great game though, the combat is exceptional, it took me a while for it to click, this is my first Tales game and really enjoying it. Pascal ftw.

Right, you'd have +9 Evasion. You can see all the skill bonuses a character has on one of the pages in his/her Status menu (besides those that exclusively affect certain artes). In fact, I believe every skill stacks that way.

For whatever reason the game doesn't tell you exactly how the arte was upgraded in the battle results screen. To see how the arte was upgraded check the title you had equipped. Artes can be upgraded in quite a few ways although damage, crit rate, accuracy, and cast speed are the most common. Highlight the arte in the Artes menu and press Square to see all its upgrades you have.

kiyomi

Right, you'd have +9 Evasion. You can see all the skill bonuses a character has on one of the pages in his/her Status menu (besides those that exclusively affect certain artes). In fact, I believe every skill stacks that way.

For whatever reason the game doesn't tell you exactly how the arte was upgraded in the battle results screen. To see how the arte was upgraded check the title you had equipped. Artes can be upgraded in quite a few ways although damage, crit rate, accuracy, and cast speed are the most common. Highlight the arte in the Artes menu and press Square to see all its upgrades you have.

Thank you very much! :)

I was looking at an Artes guide and I see specific attributes to certain Artes.
For example:
封翼衝 - Houyokushou - Left 2CC - Bug, Flying, Strike

What exactly is Bug, Flying, Strike?

I'm playing the Japanese version with my limited Japanese, so I haven't read all the pop-up tutorials.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I was looking at an Artes guide and I see specific attributes to certain Artes.
For example:
封翼衝 - Houyokushou - Left 2CC - Bug, Flying, Strike

What exactly is Bug, Flying, Strike?

I'm playing the Japanese version with my limited Japanese, so I haven't read all the pop-up tutorials.
That's what the arte's attributes are and what it's typically strong against (well, the first picture). So you'll see some attributes in picture-form when you select an enemy with R1 to display enemy information. So if you're fighting a flying-type enemy, use artes like 封翼衝, 昇竜氷舞 & 紫電滅天翔 against it in order to get CC bonuses to extend your combos. Think of it like Pokemon, kinda.

If you're fighting enemies with a Nova weakness, you could use 雷斬衝, 邪霊一閃, 崩雷殺, etc. against them.

PKrockin

If an enemy has a status ailment weakness you can inflict it on him with the right move, too. Every time I petrify something with Burial Blade it's like sweet, sweet revenge for being unable to inflict status in any reasonable fashion for the last fifteen years.

Riposte

What level should I be to fight the rematch against
Bryce
on Hard? I don't feel too far off, but the odds are clearly stacked against me with just how much damage he does and how quickly he does it.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
What level should I be to fight the rematch against
Bryce
on Hard? I don't feel too far off, but the odds are clearly stacked against me with just how much damage he does and how quickly he does it.
I generally do that quest after the desert chapter. Equip Paralysis Charms on everyone. I was about Lv 38 the last two times I did it, iirc. Keep him occupied with Asbel or Hubert or whomever you like to main so they don't go a single step close to your healing characters. Exploit his weaknesses too, to extend your combo and do more damage.

You could also try to customize your AI to have some of them stay away and heal/cast spells so they don't enter the fray.

Gvaz

Banned
Why is everyone such dicks in this game?

Everyone says that Asbel hasn't changed, but he has changed, for the good. Everyone else changed for the worse.

That's what the arte's attributes are and what it's typically strong against (well, the first picture). So you'll see some attributes in picture-form when you select an enemy with R1 to display enemy information. So if you're fighting a flying-type enemy, use artes like 封翼衝, 昇竜氷舞 & 紫電滅天翔 against it in order to get CC bonuses to extend your combos. Think of it like Pokemon, kinda.

If you're fighting enemies with a Nova weakness, you could use 雷斬衝, 邪霊一閃, 崩雷殺, etc. against them.

Ahh, thank you. So when I press R1 I see the enemies attributes and not their weakness right.
Then I would use an Arte that is strong against that weakness.

I forgot about R1!

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Ahh, thank you. So when I press R1 I see the enemies attributes and not their weakness right.
Then I would use an Arte that is strong against that weakness.

I forgot about R1!
When you press R1 you see what they're weak against, and the types of artes they're weak against (ex: weak against B artes or A artes). I'll take a pic from my Japanese copy (you won't be in this area for a while). Sorry for blurriness but I can't really pause it and make it stay static while holding something else, lol.

wqkLk.jpg

You use an arte that has at least one of those attributes assigned to it. So if a move has the Bug Attribute assigned to it (like Asbel's 封翼衝 or Sophie's 双撞掌底破), use it against the monster that has the Bug weakness like this one right here. Essentially, the attributes are the enemy type that each arte is most effective against, and it'll boost the damage output for the attack when you use it against those enemies.

And man I started playing this as if it were Xillia for a minute there. >_<

When you press R1 you see what they're weak against, and the types of artes they're weak against (ex: weak against B artes or A artes). I'll take a pic from my Japanese copy (you won't be in this area for a while). Sorry for blurriness but I can't really pause it and make it stay static while holding something else, lol.

You use an arte that has at least one of those attributes assigned to it. So if a move has the Bug Attribute assigned to it (like Asbel's &#23553;&#32764;&#34909; or Sophie's &#21452;&#25758;&#25484;&#24213;&#30772;), use it against the monster that has the Bug weakness like this one right here. Essentially, the attributes are the enemy type that each arte is most effective against, and it'll boost the damage output for the attack when you use it against those enemies.

And man I started playing this as if it were Xillia for a minute there. >_<

Ahh, thank so much. I understand.
I think I will bump the game to hard, now that I have some strategy.

Gvaz

Banned
Still not hard even on Evil. Put the game to full auto, go to sleep and watch as the computer chains 120 attacks to a boss, stunlocking it to death. Suddenly that 30k hp even with 3 characters burns through in no time flat.

I even got the 60 second achievement on evil on the queen slime :|

Riposte

The lack of control over party members combined with the focus on dodging makes for a lot of frustration against certain bosses. Switching characters and dodging (or just blocking even) could not feel more sloppy and that's against even highly choreographed attacks (they felt it necessary to make it impossible to switch while the action is paused and on top of the game doesn't exactly make it easy for you to remember which button on the directional pad will switch to who). A party based action game is an ambitious, difficult concept, but they don't seem to try very hard on making it a good fit as you'd expect with any pure action game. A lot of the time it feels like the battle is out of my hands (with multiple enemies, there are just too many factors at play outside my main character's performance - of course that part is fine and dandy). Ultimately, this makes for a game where just going berserk with damage/weaknesses is clearly the best strategy (well, even better than usual I suppose) as that leaves less things to chance.

Two other random complaints: the camera is annoying (especially with the giant character icons/stats at the bottom the screen blocking your view of you and your enemies) and the lack of a quit or load option in battle is also rather annoying.

EDIT: Also picking this up again after a several week break can lead to ugly results for the first few battles.

FSLink

Banned

Ah, I think I know the reason for this. I think I recall the original Japanese PS2 game not allowing Mania/Very Hard and Unknown on a 1st playthrough even on a clear save. They later added this to the NA version. They probably forgot to add this NA exclusive feature into the 3DS version, they only remembered to add the Mystic Artes.

LuuKyK

So, after a long hiatus, I'm currently playing through the game on a New Game + file, and I decided to buy the Damage 2x and 5x on the Grade Shop. Was that a bad decision? I thought it would help on the boss on 60 seconds trophies, which it actually does, but still, it feels strange as you can always die instantly in random battles with these active. And it is kinda bothering me really. But there is no changing now, so I guess I will keep going as the trophies are indeed coming...

And to the person that said that its possible to defeat Queen Slime on Evil in 60 seconds without being overpowered/leveled or with the damage multipliers on... was that a joke? (lol he is banned and can't answer) Well...

But yeah, and I still can't manage to upgrade my Eleth Mixer faster... I'm using the book of potential (?) but the progress is SO slow. Ugh, its really frustrating. I guess you have to grind next to a turtle vendor to keep refilling it?

Don't even know if someone is still playing this or remember some of these things at all, but doesn't hurt to ask...

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
So, after a long hiatus, I'm currently playing through the game on a New Game + file, and I decided to buy the Damage 2x and 5x on the Grade Shop. Was that a bad decision? I thought it would help on the boss on 60 seconds trophies, which it actually does, but still, it feels strange as you can always die instantly in random battles with these active. And it is kinda bothering me really. But there is no changing now, so I guess I will keep going as the trophies are indeed coming...
Just need to learn to sidestep faster and defend more often. When you level up more (I'm guessing you got the EXP multipliers in the Grade shop?), it probably won't be as noticeable. Just know that those multipliers you chose added up to x10, lol. That's probably why you're having a rough go at it. 2x or 5x would've been adequate enough.

But yeah, and I still can't manage to upgrade my Eleth Mixer faster... I'm using the book of potential (?) but the progress is SO slow. Ugh, its really frustrating. I guess you have to grind next to a turtle vendor to keep refilling it?
Food!!! Food is your bffl. Learn to love food.

Not always (ex: Miso Stew gives you 94-ish XP and it costs something like 127 or something; Double cheeseburger costs 73, but it gives you 5 XP).

My setup was:
Book of Satiation (lets you to cook twice in battle)
Miso Stew (activates after battle if Mixer > 50%)
Beef with Red Wine Sauce (activates after battle if Mixer < 50%)
Crab Fried Rice (activates after 10 seconds)
Book of Growth (add EXP to the pot just by setting it in there)
Book of Enthusiasm - Halves your stats but you get 2x the EXP

I also add some item in there that produces a lot like Arcane Bottles or something. Toss in the Book of Fortune and Book of Duplication, but this is moreso for increasing slots in the mixer..

Just if you're trying to upgrade the pot from 9001-9999 the growth is really really slow.

Riposte

Do other tales games make party management much better? I've only played Vesperia and not to a point where it matters yet. That seemed to have a bunch of useful options.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Like, the strategy board and telling AI what to do and stuff? That's one of Graces' weaknesses. I wrote up a few posts about how other Tales games have done it better:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=36803544&postcount=5324
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=37407810&postcount=5869

As I mentioned previously, boss fights in 3D just isn't Tales's strength sometimes. A lot of the tools you're given and use freely in normal battles and regular circumstances are generally rendered null and void and the boss battles frequently become a test of endurance. If there's anything I dislike from the battle side of Tales games, it's definitely that. Add in a lack strategy board options and you're in for a... well, an interesting time... :/

Esura

Banned
Do other tales games make party management much better? I've only played Vesperia and not to a point where it matters yet. That seemed to have a bunch of useful options.

Not really. I think I had more frustration managing my party in Vesperia than Graces f. Although I do believe (not sure, memory hazy) that unlike Graces f, you can adjust a character's default placement on the battle map.

EDIT: Beaten...

I wasn't aware Vesperia had more AI options than Graces f.

Riposte

It is infuriating. I was facing this enemy who was basically a charging bull type of boss whom was obviously meant to be dodged repeatedly. The AI was idiotic and vulnerable and the system seems to actively designed in order for me not to deal with that manually. Then, the charge becomes more powerful and the tell gets even shorter lol.

Of course, I'm still getting through the game without dropping the difficulty or grinding (I hear the toughest boss yet is still coming up), but for a handful of encounters I feel like I'm getting lucky. Too many factors at play which I can't control. Am I wrong in thinking anything other than doing a gigantic combo is a big liability? I can't really pull off a combo-video, but I assume that's the way to go.

EDIT: There are things I really like about the game. The battle system has good ideas on fusing action with strategy mechanics, sort of like a fighting game (or maybe exactly like a fighting game). Characters are unique to each other and each seem to have a style that is worth looking into. The bosses are interesting and challenging and even fodder battles are not dull. The idea of a party-based action game fascinates me. I just don't like the execution. As someone new to Tales I could very well be ignorant though.

The equipment (fusing, shards, etc) and titles are admittedly interesting systems which I'm sure many people want to explore fully, but at times I just feel like "I don't want to deal with this". I'm spending a huge chuck of my time switching titles and comparing them (the UI isn't very good here), I like the idea of it though. The shards/weapon bonuses just seems endlessly convoluted and I get the feeling it is a good way to break the game.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
That boss is my favourite. During each of my three playthroughs where I played this game from scratch, it was my absolute favourite. I was always wondering how people would react when they got to that one because it's absolute bullshit.

ToGf is one of my favourite 3D Tales battle systems. It's not perfect by any means, but it feels more cohesive (and more balanced, which may come as a surprise) than other Tales battle systems.

You're not wrong. With some bosses--and not just in this game as any other Tales game would function similarly (even up to Xillia and Xillia 2)--it seems like hit and run would sometimes be the better option because the bosses are just weird. The bosses in this game love going after your healers mid-cast, when in some other Tales games, they seem to love going for you. And the combo videos are ones that you should probably try to get off the ground when you have better artes to your disposal. It generally isn't that difficult to get a 200-hit combo off the ground provided you have all the artes you need in your inventory. Generally a lot of people like to pull off 999 combos with Hubert because he's the easiest character to do it with.

Riposte said:
The shards/weapon bonuses just seems endlessly convoluted and I get the feeling it is a good way to break the game.
If you dualize a lot, probably. Later in the game on Chaos (post-game/future arc), I felt it was essential to keep dualizing because you want to keep combos going by building up your weak hits (because difficulty in Tales games does the silly thing where they apply stat multipliers, so bosses have higher HP and stuff). It's mostly a combination system (ex: Quality 1 + Quality 2 = Quality 3 -- which generally affects how much the weapon/armour is worth). You don't necessarily have to do it if you don't want to/if you're not doing quests.

I felt it was more comprehensible than FF13's system of apply 36 organic materials, then calculate how much of those synthetic materials you need to hit the EXP level up point so you don't purchase excess.

That boss is my favourite. During each of my three playthroughs where I played this game from scratch, it was my absolute favourite. I was always wondering how people would react when they got to that one because it's absolute bullshit.

ToGf is one of my favourite 3D Tales battle systems. It's not perfect by any means, but it feels more cohesive (and more balanced, which may come as a surprise) than other Tales battle systems.

You're not wrong. With some bosses--and not just in this game as any other Tales game would function similarly (even up to Xillia and Xillia 2)--it seems like hit and run would sometimes be the better option because the bosses are just weird. The bosses in this game love going after your healers mid-cast, when in some other Tales games, they seem to love going for you. And the combo videos are ones that you should probably try to get off the ground when you have better artes to your disposal. It generally isn't that difficult to get a 200-hit combo off the ground provided you have all the artes you need in your inventory. Generally a lot of people like to pull off 999 combos with Hubert because he's the easiest character to do it with.

If you dualize a lot, probably. Later in the game on Chaos (post-game/future arc), I felt it was essential to keep dualizing because you want to keep combos going by building up your weak hits (because difficulty in Tales games does the silly thing where they apply stat multipliers, so bosses have higher HP and stuff). It's mostly a combination system (ex: Quality 1 + Quality 2 = Quality 3 -- which generally affects how much the weapon/armour is worth). You don't necessarily have to do it if you don't want to/if you're not doing quests.

I felt it was more comprehensible than FF13's system of apply 36 organic materials, then calculate how much of those synthetic materials you need to hit the EXP level up point so you don't purchase excess.

Fun fact: I one-shot that boss and another that many hate later (if you keep the others away from said boss and "tank" it like a raid the difficulty drops dramatically, like a raid). The one you're coming up on Riposte is nowhere near as "make your own luck"-able by a LOOOOOOONG shot and wiped me two dozen times.
It turned out to be MAOU ENGEKIHA-able, though.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I dunno why but I didn't have as much trouble with Chapter 5 boss spoilers
Kurtz
as you all did, even if they beefed that boss up from the Wii version. Mostly because I did use Maoh Engekiha on it a lot. I think that's something I liked about the game in the end. You can learn abilities any time you wanted to and you weren't locked into it on a level-by-level basis. I always thought working with titles was straight-up fun, and I had tons of fun "not playing the game" when I played the game.

I thought of getting the Wii version for giggles just to say that I have all of the versions, but what would the point be... I do plan on playing the EU version when I have the spare time because I should make use of the copy I have. :v

EDIT: There are things I really like about the game. The battle system has good ideas on fusing action with strategy mechanics, sort of like a fighting game (or maybe exactly like a fighting game). Characters are unique to each other and each seem to have a style that is worth looking into. The bosses are interesting and challenging and even fodder battles are not dull. The idea of a party-based action game fascinates me. I just don't like the execution. As someone new to Tales I could very well be ignorant though.

No, this is all pretty accurate. Tales of Graces provides you with an interesting and entertaining battle system and a variety of interesting resources, but the boss design and some of the subsidiary systems (like the battle placement stuff) sabotage it to some degree.

Somnia

So I finally decided to play this game, honestly no idea why I waited so long.

So far I'm really enjoying it. I'm still pretty early on
Just got to Hubert showing up to save Lhant
, but so far I like every character and am really enjoying the combat.

Hope the game keeps going up from here =)

Celegus

I also just started this up, playing co-op with my wife. We just finished the "prologue". It's pretty fun so far, but we're both a little baffled at all the systems in place during battles; I guess it just takes practice to get the hang of it? The only other Tales we've played is Symphonia which was pretty basic.

LuuKyK

Just need to learn to sidestep faster and defend more often. When you level up more (I'm guessing you got the EXP multipliers in the Grade shop?), it probably won't be as noticeable. Just know that those multipliers you chose added up to x10, lol. That's probably why you're having a rough go at it. 2x or 5x would've been adequate enough.

Food!!! Food is your bffl. Learn to love food.

Just if you're trying to upgrade the pot from 9001-9999 the growth is really really slow.

Oh God, Schala always saving me. :D Thanks. Actually now that I looked back in this thread, you actually answered me on this subject already before I stopped playing. lol shame on me.

I also just started this up, playing co-op with my wife. We just finished the "prologue". It's pretty fun so far, but we're both a little baffled at all the systems in place during battles; I guess it just takes practice to get the hang of it? The only other Tales we've played is Symphonia which was pretty basic.

Its ok. Im on a new game plus already and still am having a hard time sidestepping. lol

Footos22

Finally finished my first play through. 65 hours. I did a fair amount of inn requests though.

Would you recommend going straight to new game + or finishing off those inn requests now I've done so many I don't really want to do them all again. Fodra Queen was a bitch. Reloaded my save and 1 hit ko'd her with Cherias first arte lol for the 60 second trophy. Love the mixer. Takes forever to level up though was only at 2500 when i finished. ugh

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Finally finished my first play through. 65 hours. I did a fair amount of inn requests though.

Would you recommend going straight to new game + or finishing off those inn requests now I've done so many I don't really want to do them all again. Fodra Queen was a bitch. Reloaded my save and 1 hit ko'd her with Cherias first arte lol for the 60 second trophy. Love the mixer. Takes forever to level up though was only at 2500 when i finished. ugh
If you wanted to do the EX postgame dungeon (because it's easier to get materials for your inn requests), you can now. It's easier now that you have Accel Mode (though you may or may not have some issues with some of the enemies there if the difficulty % increases + you're on a high difficulty). If you've done a ton of inn requests, you might as well finish them off now.

Oh God, Schala always saving me. :D Thanks. Actually now that I looked back in this thread, you actually answered me on this subject already before I stopped playing. lol shame on me.
lol, it's okay. I don't mind helping people out with stuff like this, especially if it's a game I enjoy.

MechaX

No, this is all pretty accurate. Tales of Graces provides you with an interesting and entertaining battle system and a variety of interesting resources, but the boss design and some of the subsidiary systems (like the battle placement stuff) sabotage it to some degree.

I would still like to know what developer thought Killing Field (aka,
Emeraude's AOE that would nuke the entire party each time
) would ever be an acceptable idea when the party AI is this bad.

So decided to get back into this game and finally get all the damn items needed to make those damn nakiri dolls.

I'll say the hardest part was grinding in the damn Fendel Glacier Ruins, as the rest of the materials came naturally but finally!

Footos22

just managed to do all the inn requests and beat the gentlemen. Also beat the 3 dudes in warriors roost. Easier together then they were alone. Got sophies 100 titles trophy at the same time. Just a couple of zhonecage floors to go through. Before I new game +. First port of call is fighting 200 battles on hard as did most
of the game on moderate. Grind incoming. Still im at 79 hours so can't see it taking me more then another 20 or so.

Edit: actually I forgot about that fucking mixer and only at 3500....

Top Bottom