• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Graces ƒ |OT| Gracing the PS3 with the Best RPG Combat

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Do titles have to be mastered to get a new one or is getting 5 stars on them enough?
There are actually a few titles that are unlocked by... mastering titles (@ 5+ titles, 50+ titles, 100+; 5+/40+/80+, etc. Depends on the character).

But 5 stars is enough in most cases if you just want to unlock skills. Mastery just increases the potency of the title's innate property (ex: Acc+4 default; Acc+8 at mastery).

Edit: I think you guys may have noticed by now that titles can come from subevents, completing inn requests, using artes a significant amount of time, getting into x amount of battles, recording discoveries, cooking curry (cooking in general), making an effort to dualize, selling items of certain values, scoring crits, getting one every 10/20 levels, etc. Right?

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I recall stats barely mattering at all in previous games (who cares about accuracy,speed,or avoid?)... how important are they here?
Avoid = Opposite of Accuracy. Higher Avoid, less chance you'll be staggered. The damage to your character will also be reduced. Asbel has the worst avoid stat out of everyone.

Accuracy = If it's low, you hit the enemy but it deals lower damage. From experience, it seems like there is a lesser likelihood of staggering an enemy. It will also affect how quick the Eleth Gauge will go up, and how fast your crit gauge goes up. Obviously, you want to have a high Acc.

If you're playing on higher difficulties, you can imagine that the stats are quite helpful.

RPGCrazied

Question about Richard.

When I get him back into the party, how much game is left? I'll be pissed if he is only available for the last dungeon or something. I'm about to get the ship I think. Going to Forda.

Kincaido

Got 99 problems and only one of them is a waifu
Question about Richard.

When I get him back into the party, how much game is left? I'll be pissed if he is only available for the last dungeon or something. I'm about to get the ship I think. Going to Forda.

You get him back in the Future Arc. No more in the main game. You can use him all you want in new game plus and up with a certain item.

Bladenic

Oh forgot to mention, the victory phases are probably the best ones in the series, lool.

I prefer Vesperia's, though maybe Graces has better ones down the line.

And how many titles does each character have? It must take forever to get all of them for every character.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I prefer Vesperia's, though maybe Graces has better ones down the line.

And how many titles does each character have? It must take forever to get all of them for every character.
This includes costume DLC:

Asbel: 164 (157 w/o DLC)
Sophie: 166 (158 w/o)
Cheria: 148 (142 w/o)
Hubert: 145 (141 w/o, I think?)
Pascal: 148 (143 w/o)
Malik: 146 (143 w/o)
Richard: 122 (119 w/o)

You get a title for reaching Level 200, the max level in this game. The girls have more DLC costumes than the guys (though Asbel is an exception to this rule).

Quick question before I duck back out of the thread again: how far into the game do you have to go to get 2, 3, and 4 party members? My friends and I want to play it together, but I'd like to get some of the single-player stuff out of the way if the multi-party stuff is too far in.

Thanks!

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Quick question before I duck back out of the thread again: how far into the game do you have to go to get 2, 3, and 4 party members? My friends and I want to play it together, but I'd like to get some of the single-player stuff out of the way if the multi-party stuff is too far in.

Thanks!
Post-Childhood Arc for two members (though they'll leave and come back at this point)
Chapter 1 for 3 members after events in Lhant
Chapter 3 for 4 members after a little ways in.

Just a random question:

What are the number of uses for getting the arte titles? I know they are different depending if you have spells or not and even between A and B artes. Just don't remember the exact numbers.

Big B

I tried googling this but no luck, do you get to keep your level, equipments, and inn requests completed in a new game?

Card Boy

Banned
I hate to be a sales monster, but do you guys think this will sell well? There seems to be alot of chat on this game on this forum and others. I'm just hoping it will get enough sales to warrant a Xillia and ToV English versions for the PS3.

dili

Did i encounter a bug or something? I'm at the manor after (prologue spoilers)
Richard
is staying in the guest quarters. It says to head to the guest quarters, but i can't go in there since theres a guard so i'll need permission from Asbel's father first. Fine. But everytime i try to go towards his office, it says i don't need to go that way. I watched a youtube walkthrough and it shows that i'm suppose to be able to walk in there and that's where i need to go. :\

Kincaido

Got 99 problems and only one of them is a waifu
Did i encounter a bug or something? I'm at the manor after (prologue spoilers)
Richard
is staying in the guest quarters. It says to head to the guest quarters, but i can't go in there since theres a guard so i'll need permission from Asbel's father first. Fine. But everytime i try to go towards his office, it says i don't need to go that way. I watched a youtube walkthrough and it shows that i'm suppose to be able to walk in there and that's where i need to go. :\

Go to the right side of the building.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Oh yay. Thunderstorms. Last round before my power gets knocked out. :)

Just a random question:

What are the number of uses for getting the arte titles? I know they are different depending if you have spells or not and even between A and B artes. Just don't remember the exact numbers.
Depends on the arte. They lowered them from the Wii version in the PS3 version. So, like... Asbel has to use CC2 artes 300 times, CC3 artes 750 times, CC4 artes 1500 times... or use A-artes 2000 or 20K times... It's different for everyone, though.

Most of the time for Asbel, it's 80 and then 450 (B-Artes).
Cheria is like... 100 and 150 or 100 and 250 (B-Artes). She's really random. Resurrection for her is 25 -> 200, and Nurse = 30 -> 240.
Malik is usually 40/300 for B-Artes. Not always.
Pascal is random too. 30 -> 280, 100 -> 250, etc for B-Artes.
Hubert is 100 -> 800 most of the time for B-Artes.
And so on.

I kinda hope that helps. I know that was really broad. I might go over it later when the weather isn't as awful. Edit: Scratch that. I hate this answer, so I'll go over it again later on.

I tried googling this but no luck, do you get to keep your level, equipments, and inn requests completed in a new game?
No to all.

You can select XP/damage multipliers from the Grade Shop if you want a leg up in NG+ when you start one.

Does anyone know what the limit is for the number of save files I can have for this game?
PS3 game so I assume no limit. I keep a lot of saves so I had 12 for my first playthrough. System data is used for stuff like NG+/trophy data/DLC.

scy

So finally got Chaos unlocked and tried the 60 second Trophy boss fight at Level 25. First kill ... 1:01s.

Fucking seriously?! Oh well. Got it down in 28 seconds next shot but that was mostly from some luck in juggling it forever.

Post-Childhood Arc for two members (though they'll leave and come back at this point)
Chapter 1 for 3 members after events in Lhant
Chapter 3 for 4 members after a little ways in.

Timewise, roughly how far in is that?
3 members sounds pretty reasonable, but that 4th sounds a good few hours in!

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
I can't believe I have to ask this in this thread with a battle PAUSED, and that the game, manual, and internet as a whole seems incapable of answering it for me.

HOW do you escape battles?

I pressed something once a long time ago and saw some message saying I was trying to escape, but I've never managed it since. I wandered someplace where I am getting one-shot killed and I need to get OUT.

HELP.

I can't believe I have to ask this in this thread with a battle PAUSED, and that the game, manual, and internet as a whole seems incapable of answering it for me.

HOW do you escape battles?

I pressed something once a long time ago and saw some message saying I was trying to escape, but I've never managed it since. I wandered someplace where I am getting one-shot killed and I need to get OUT.

HELP.

Keep running towards the border until the escape bar comes up and fills all the way.

BY2K

Membero Americo
A dog told me I could skip cutscenes by pressing start and triangle...

This game is weird.

And what's with all those cats that wants fish?

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Man, I hate that answer I gave with regards to the artes titles up there. I'll make a better post when the thunder, lightning, and constant power outages go away.

So finally got Chaos unlocked and tried the 60 second Trophy boss fight at Level 25. First kill ... 1:01s.

Fucking seriously?! Oh well. Got it down in 28 seconds next shot but that was mostly from some luck in juggling it forever.
How does Chaos feel to you? The bosses get tougher way after that. I didn't find
Slime Queen
that difficult, but that's because I'd equipped Poison Checks and juggled it like mad.

Timewise, roughly how far in is that?
3 members sounds pretty reasonable, but that 4th sounds a good few hours in!
I didn't play the game like a normal person, but I'd say about
8-10 hours or so
? If you rush through it, you could likely get to that part faster.

BY2K said:
And what's with all those cats that wants fish?
Feed them! You'll get something cool later! (You can come back and feed them later if you don't have any fish on you)

Okay I went back and did a bit of title grinding, thanks to my new unlocked Chaos difficulty (which isn't really that chaotic) I was able to rofl stomp the boss I was stuck at.

Also I won a game of that magna card thing and won
A Yuri Costume for Asbel, was that an in game unlock in the Japanese version as well

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Also I won a game of that magna card thing and won
A Yuri Costume for Asbel, was that an in game unlock in the Japanese version as well
Yes. All three in-game ToV costumes can be obtained from playing Carta Card. Or whatever they called it in the English version.

The Wii version didn't have the costume luxury, iirc. The Yuri costume was from a preorder DVD or something?

scy

How does Chaos feel to you? The bosses get tougher way after that. I didn't find
Slime Queen
that difficult, but that's because I'd equipped Poison Checks and juggled it like mad.

Pretty easy so far. The boss was pretty easy, honestly. The hardest part were the spawns if I didn't juggle.

Edit: Which actually had one of the funnier moments of the first kill where the boss died but the spawns had reach ~12+ and swarmed Asbel and stun locked him. I wiped out of the sheer hilarity of the scene :x

That said, I may have to redo the fight. I forgot a sub-event item (the Best Princess Stories book) and I may have to reload an old save for that. Unless you can get it whenever you return to Lhant later? Would save me an hour-ish of (re)-grinding!

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
IIRC, all 3 costumes WERE on the Wii disc, but you needed to pre-order the game to unlock them. But I might be wrong.
Is that how it worked? I have no idea since I didn't import it. :x

Pretty easy so far. The boss was pretty easy, honestly. The hardest part were the spawns if I didn't juggle.

Edit: Which actually had one of the funnier moments of the first kill where the boss died but the spawns had reach ~12+ and swarmed Asbel and stun locked him. I wiped out of the sheer hilarity of the scene :x

That said, I may have to redo the fight. I forgot a sub-event item (the Best Princess Stories book) and I may have to reload an old save for that. Unless you can get it whenever you return to Lhant later? Would save me an hour-ish of (re)-grinding!
I *think* you can go back and get it later, but to be on the safe side, keep a separate save and if it doesn't pan out you could always load an old save. You'll be going back to Lhant pretty darn soon anyway.

Yeah, that boss is considered to be the wake-up call boss, but I had trouble with bosses later than that.

I've been playing it a bit. I'll be honest, tales games have always felt like training wheels for more "pure" action games and this doesn't feel much different. Maybe it gets more interesting later, but I've never liked the restrictions on free running or the flat maps or the cpu AI partners. I will admit the combo system is pretty neat, and the controls and framerate are tight, though.

I suppose it's more than you can say about Ninja Gaiden 3 or whatever will happen to DmC.. so congrats, Tales is moving up in the mechanics world while the other former great action games go down.

scy

I *think* you can go back and get it later, but to be on the safe side, keep a separate save and if it doesn't pan out you could always load an old save. You'll be going back to Lhant pretty darn soon anyway.

Yeah, that boss is considered to be the wake-up call boss, but I had trouble with bosses later than that.

:|

I might as well just go get it now. Unless someone is farther than me and didn't grab it and wants to check. I already ran my back-up save over to grab it so I just have to re-grindan and re-beat the boss so it's not ... so bad, really.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Do I ever get to a point where I feel like I know what I'm doing with the combat?

It's always been something that I've had with the Tales games. I felt more 'in control' with Kingdom Hearts or Radiata Stories. Fun game, either way

Aeana

Do I ever get to a point where I feel like I know what I'm doing with the combat?

It's always been something that I've had with the Tales games. I felt more 'in control' with Kingdom Hearts or Radiata Stories. Fun game, either way

Well, how much attention are you paying to the tutorials? I think they give you enough information to allow you to gain mastery of the systems. And if you pay close attention to how and when you're gaining CC, and how building up the critical gauge increases your max CC, you should do really well.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Well, how much attention are you paying to the tutorials? I think they give you enough information to allow you to gain mastery of the systems. And if you pay close attention to how and when you're gaining CC, and how building up the critical gauge increases your max CC, you should do really well.

I read them, but I feel like sometimes my chains aren't comboing for no real reason

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
:|

I might as well just go get it now. Unless someone is farther than me and didn't grab it and wants to check. I already ran my back-up save over to grab it so I just have to re-grindan and re-beat the boss so it's not ... so bad, really.
I'm sorry. I usually tried to get everything I could in one go, so that's why I don't really know. I know that nothing is missable at all outside of that handkerchief thing, so perhaps the scripts aren't either. The Google Doc makes it seem like it isn't missable.

I've been playing it a bit. I'll be honest, tales games have always felt like training wheels for more "pure" action games and this doesn't feel much different. Maybe it gets more interesting later, but I've never liked the restrictions on free running or the flat maps or the cpu AI partners. I will admit the combo system is pretty neat, and the controls and framerate are tight, though.

I suppose it's more than you can say about Ninja Gaiden 3 or whatever will happen to DmC.. so congrats, Tales is moving up in the mechanics world while the other former great action games go down.
What's going on with NG3?

I feel it's a big confusing cause Asbel has to draw his sword with 1CC before he can uses his B-artes which early on I kept forgetting, so I'd pull out his sword when I had 2CC left, leaving myself with 1CC which I can't do anything with. Also until you have 10CC you can't possible do 4CC A-artes without dodging/regaining CC mid combo, which when you're still learning the game isn't very easy.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
So, what does polishing gems do and how long does it take?
Is that the Shop in
Yu Liberte (forgive me if they called it something different)
where the girl upgrades your gems for you? She upgrades your accessories by one level (ex: DEF Accessory + 5; she'll upgrade the accessory to + 6). Sometimes it takes a while (since time spent in the menu and in battle won't be counted), but it's handy to upgrade your accessories to Tier 9.

You can speed up the process by giving her food that she likes like Apple Pie or Pumpkin Pudding (recommended).

Just a random question:

Artes titles for everyone are different. There aren’t set amounts where the character will get a new Arte title since every character is different.

A-Artes have their specific amounts, and B-Artes also have their specific amounts. If you want to get all titles, grind like hell. Also, uh, if you want to get the Level 200 title, go right on ahead. The amounts in the PS3 version are WAY lower than the Wii version’s.

Regarding A-Artes, for everyone, you get titles for:
- 300 uses of CC2
- 750 uses of CC3
- 1500 uses of CC4 techniques
- use A-Artes 2000 times
- use A-Artes 20000 times

Regarding B-Artes, well… it’s much different for everyone.
The general ones are:
Use B-Artes 1500 times
Use B-Artes 15000 times

Problem with this is that I can’t name artes specifically because I don’t know what they’re called in English.

Asbel’s numbers are usually: 90 -> 450, 70 ->350, 80 ->450
Sophie’s are: 90 -> 450, 80 -> 400, 70 -> 350
Cheria: A-Artes: 100 -> 250; 100 ->150; 100 -> 200; 30 -> 150; for B-Artes: 30 -> 150, 30 -> 300, 40 -> 400, 35 -> 250, Nurse: 30 -> 240, Resurrection/Raise: 25 -> 200, Remedy: 40 -> 320, Recover: 40 -> 240... she has way more, but that's the gist.
Hubert: Same as Sophie for A-Artes; for B-Artes 100 -> 800, 90 -> 720, 80 -> 640, 70 -> 560; 40 -> 320; 35 -> 280
Malik: Pretty similar to Cheria’s, actually.
Pascal: See Malik and Cheria
Richard: See Malik, Cheria and Pascal.

This is not going to adequately answer your question, but since I don't know the English names for everything, I can't answer it adequately.

scy

I'm sorry. I usually tried to get everything I could in one go, so that's why I don't really know. I know that nothing is missable at all outside of that handkerchief thing, so perhaps the scripts aren't either. The Google Doc makes it seem like it isn't missable.

I'd just give it a go if it wasn't for the fact that, apparently, you don't return until
the end of Chapter 3
. Just redoing it now (well, tomorrow) is just less painful in the long run. Unless someone is farther than me and can check, anyway. Really, though, it's all of like an hour to re-do so whatever :x

The only part that has me worried is I've seen some mention #60 as one of the "trickier" sub-quests; kind of odd if it's not time sensitive since it's really just "go to X" five times. If not for that, I'd probably have just kept going.

That and it's apparently a pretty good event so no way in hell am I going to pass that up!

Edit: Oh, by the way, Dark Bottles aren't unlocked at this point but you can dualize it with a component from the end of the
Seaside Caverns
. Though, you do find them in a chest along the way so you can just use the Mixer for them at this point, I suppose.

Thoraxes

Is that the Shop in
Yu Liberte (forgive me if they called it something different)
where the girl upgrades your gems for you? She upgrades your accessories by one level (ex: DEF Accessory + 5; she'll upgrade the accessory to + 6). Sometimes it takes a while (since time spent in the menu and in battle won't be counted), but it's handy to upgrade your accessories to Tier 9.

You can speed up the process by giving her food that she likes like Apple Pie or Pumpkin Pudding (recommended).

Yes that name's correct.

Also, thanks :D I gave her one of my H ranked ones out of curiosity to see what would happen but I haven't gone back for it yet.

Neki

I don't know if I'll ever get used to this combat that, so confusing, lol. Blocking in a Tales game is so weird.

Astra

Without spoilers, could somebody tell me when you can use the Gamestop DLC costumes in the game?

I think as soon as you enter the Adult Arc. The DLC gives you a title, which you have to level up to 3, to unlock "Costume". You have to go to the DLC tab in the items menu, and activate it first.

Artes titles for everyone are different. There aren’t set amounts where the character will get a new Arte title since every character is different.

A-Artes have their specific amounts, and B-Artes also have their specific amounts. If you want to get all titles, grind like hell. Also, uh, if you want to get the Level 200 title, go right on ahead. The amounts in the PS3 version are WAY lower than the Wii version’s.

Regarding A-Artes, for everyone, you get titles for:
- 300 uses of CC2
- 750 uses of CC3
- 1500 uses of CC4 techniques
- use A-Artes 2000 times
- use A-Artes 20000 times

Regarding B-Artes, well… it’s much different for everyone.
The general ones are:
Use B-Artes 1500 times
Use B-Artes 15000 times

Problem with this is that I can’t name artes specifically because I don’t know what they’re called in English.

Asbel’s numbers are usually: 90 -> 450, 70 ->350, 80 ->450
Sophie’s are: 90 -> 450, 80 -> 400, 70 -> 350
Cheria: A-Artes: 100 -> 250; 100 ->150; 100 -> 200; 30 -> 150; for B-Artes: 30 -> 150, 30 -> 300, 40 -> 400, 35 -> 250, Nurse: 30 -> 240, Resurrection/Raise: 25 -> 200, Remedy: 40 -> 320, Recover: 40 -> 240... she has way more, but that's the gist.
Hubert: Same as Sophie for A-Artes; for B-Artes 100 -> 800, 90 -> 720, 80 -> 640, 70 -> 560; 40 -> 320; 35 -> 280
Malik: Pretty similar to Cheria’s, actually.
Pascal: See Malik and Cheria
Richard: See Malik, Cheria and Pascal.

This is not going to adequately answer your question, but since I don't know the English names for everything, I can't answer it adequately.

No, no, that's more than enough. Just wanted to know a general idea and such for them and see how often I would need to spam them.

More boss complaining:
Disliking the robot that you fight after Sophie returns. I mean, I was doing fine with everyone healing but then it decides to be an ass and literally OHKOs my healers with a cannonball.
God, I should just lower the difficulty on the bosses to save me some trouble.

Top Bottom