• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Kenzera: Zau developer Surgent Studios is cutting jobs

Jaybe

It looks like Tales of Kenzera: Zau developer Surgent Studios is making layoffs.

Three former employees impacted by the cuts shared the news on social media. On Linkedin, level designer Peter Brisbourne wrote "the chapter entitled 'Pete Works At Surgent Studios' is coming to a close at the end of the month," and indicated their departure was the result of layoffs.

Former Surgent technical artist Jordan Smee corroborated the news and said they're "joining all the people affected by industry layoffs this year." Over on Bluesky, another former Surgent employee said they have "officially been laid off."

Another Sweet Baby Inc causality. The founder of the studio set up a company with SBI founders, likely to enrich himself from the DEI consulting fees.

Last edited:

winjer

Gold Member
Episode 2 Whatever GIF

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
I'll play it when it hits GP. Looks like a metroidvania, like many others. Seems fine, just unremarkable.

Draugoth

Gold Member
23:59: Studio is heavily involved with the creation of various DEI companies, studio head heavily praises inclusion in the industry and went on Twitter multiple times to complain about non existant harassment by non existant individuals and even gave the game a permanent discount.

00:00 Fires employees

pu1jZ01.png

These people will blame everything for their product failure but their own game.

Last edited:

Mr Hyde

I have it on my wishlist and it already goes on sale regularly. It looks good but I'm not really sure the story and setting appeals to me. There is also so many other games to play these days that look even better so games like Tales of Kenzera just disappears into the ether.

Not surprising. Average game in an overcrowded genre. The SBI controversy didn't help. I probably would have bought it if it weren't for this.

At this point it's not just genres that are overcrowded it's just the industry in general. Way to many games these days. Saw someone bring up Sand Land which I wanted to play but completely forgot about just so much these days.

Last edited:
At this point it's not just genres that are overcrowded it's just the industry in general. Way to many games these days. Saw someone bring up Sand Land which I wanted to play but completely forgot about just so much these days.
Exactly. I still feel that Alone in the Dark failed as well due to game releases being overcrowded.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
Of course they will.
People like those will always try yo shift blame onto others.
I feel like the SBI/“racism” controversy is the only reason anybody has even heard of this game. They should be thanking the deplorables for what meager sales they managed to make.

MacReady13

Not surprising. Average game in an overcrowded genre. The SBI controversy didn't help. I probably would have bought it if it weren't for this.
Same with me. My time is limited and I'm not here to support these divisive mother fuckers so if I know sweet baby inc are involved, I will pass and play something else. There are heaps of games out there better suited for my time. SBI can get fucked.

Top Bottom