• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Series | Community Thread | Localizing more games than Square Enix

Which ones weren't full titles? The ports are complete. The crossover spin off titles are, well, spin offs. NDX is superb at what it does and imo validates getting a PSP for Tales.

If you don't understand Japanese your options are ToE import from Europe and TotW:RM1 which is boring

Such a shame that TotW:RM2 and TotW:RM3 never came out in the west. Of course dub only Bamco of the past wouldn't have touched those games with a ten foot pole.

Rhapsody

Banned
It's a shame the US never got those ports. Would have loved to have them on my Vita. If I was able to freely switch accounts, I would've gotten them from the JPN store at least. Since you need the Internet to deactivate and active accounts, I'm better off just playing the ps2 at home.

If you don't import PSP is boring.

Very, very true

Ehh, Final Fantasy Tactics WotL, Kingdom Hearts BbS, Dissidia 1 and 2, Castlevania Dracula X Chronicles, and Crisis Core FF7 were more then enough for me to justify my PSP and keep me entertained. I'd say modding your PSP is far more essential to maximize enjoyment especially since you can apply patches to your imports to play them in English.

LuuKyK

If you don't import PSP is boring.

Thats not entirely true. Its undeniable there are a lot of good PSP games that stayed in Japan, but still.

I had a blast with my PSP and I don't think I know more than two words in japanese (and I obviously can't read it either).

Stardust_Comet

Neo Member
Such a shame that TotW:RM2 and TotW:RM3 never came out in the west. Of course dub only Bamco of the past wouldn't have touched those games with a ten foot pole.

It's a shame they still won't touch those games with a ten foot pole. If only Bamco would decide to take a chance on dubbing another cross over game and seeing if it does better than TotW:RM1 (instead of just assuming it was the Western market that was the problem, not that the game itself was the problem)

redhairedking

It's a shame they still won't touch those games with a ten foot pole. If only Bamco would decide to take a chance on dubbing another cross over game and seeing if it does better than TotW:RM1 (instead of just assuming it was the Western market that was the problem, not that the game itself was the problem)

Part of it may also be a fear of handhelds in the US. Hearts R's localization looks to have a very low budget and I'm honestly surprised they're bringing it over at all.

Part of it may also be a fear of handhelds in the US. Hearts R's localization looks to have a very low budget and I'm honestly surprised they're bringing it over at all.

I don't think Namco Bandai expected hearts r to win that vita jrpg to the west thing. Despite constant evidence of a strong western tales fan base we continue to get the short end of the stick. Its amazing how zero effort was done by the localization team to even see how things were previously translated in the series.

redhairedking

I don't think Namco Bandai expected hearts r to win that vita jrpg to the west thing. Despite constant evidence of a strong western tales fan base we continue to get the short end of the stick. Its amazing how zero effort was done by the localization team to even see how things were previously translated in the series.

I agree with you, but the western fanbase also has a bit of a reputation for complaining about everything. My favorite example was when Graces f was announced (after Baba saying it wasn't happening multiple times) there were many people on Twitter whining that it wasn't Vesperia or wasn't the Wii version. There was also that whole Xillia dual audio fiasco. This doesn't seem to have had any influence on sales but it definitely hasn't helped the western fans.

Stardust_Comet

Neo Member

Yeah, that could be part of it. A handheld would sell less here than one for a home console.

The only reason they decided to go through with Hearts and Graces is because they're mothership titles. Bamco is aware of their Western audience enough to know it'd be a bad decision to skimp us on the mothership titles.

Despite constant evidence of a strong western tales fan base we continue to get the short end of the stick. Its amazing how zero effort was done by the localization team to even see how things were previously translated in the series.

It's because no matter how strong a following they have in the West, they still have more fans in Japan. They're just going to focus on keeping their largest fanbase happy, because generally the West has different expectations from Japan, until they feel like they have enough steam behind the title again to do something worth the risk for their worldwide audience.

Well shit. ETA on my hearts r order from the bamco store changed from the 12-14 to the 19 at earliest :/

I guess if it doesn't ship on release day or even say preparing then I'll just cancel and go digital if my internet at home is working by then...

Sorry for bother you all again, but I wanted to check. Would anyone be interested in helping with part of the Hearts R OT? I've got most of it under control, but I'm a little wary about writing the explanation of the Gameplay/Battle system, mainly since I've never played the original or touched the earlier JPN release. If anyone wants to write a blurb, I'd be happy to credit you. Let me know!

redhairedking

Sorry for bother you all again, but I wanted to check. Would anyone be interested in helping with part of the Hearts R OT? I've got most of it under control, but I'm a little wary about writing the explanation of the Gameplay/Battle system, mainly since I've never played the original or touched the earlier JPN release. If anyone wants to write a blurb, I'd be happy to credit you. Let me know!

I've played the JPN release, what exactly would I need to write about and how long would it have to be?

Bladenic

So another Zestiria stream is scheduled for this Wednesday and supposedly it will be two hours long.

I wonder what they will show now.

That is one very good looking OT. Thanks and good job. :)

Hopefully Rose and Zaveid in battle.

And yeah great OT.

So I feel like making lists/ranking and maybe this will liven this thread up a bit (Probs not but oh well) What are your favorite party combinations in the games you've played, which you think are most useful, etc.

Tales of Destiny 2:
Kyle/Reala/Harold/Loni or Judas - poor Nanaly..

Symphonia:
Tough but usually Lloyd/Raine and the last two spots are alternated with Genis, Presea, Zelos, and Regal. Rarely Colette, never Sheena.

Rebirth:
Everyone pretty much, though I often stick with the default four Veigue, Annie, Mao, and Eugene.

Legendia
Senel/Chloe/Moses/Norma - Shirley sometimes instead of Moses for the additional buffs and healing, otherwise casters suck and Jay dies too easily (plus I hate him)

Abyss:
Guy/Tear/Jade/Anise

Tales of Vesperia:
Yuri/Estelle/Raven/Rita

Tales of Hearts:
Shing/Innes/Hisui - Shing just owns, Innes is a tank with an instant self heal, and Hisui is the main healer and far better than Kohaku. Kunzite is aight, but Beryl is meh and Kohaku is meh x2 (unfortunately).

Tales of Graces:
Asbel/Hubert/Cheria/Malik

Xillia:
Jude/Milla/Elize/Leia

Xillia 2:
Ludger/Elize and last two spots is tough because I like everyone but it's often Rowen, Milla, Gaius, and Muzét.

Stardust_Comet

Neo Member
I'm up for anything that helps with keeping this thread active. Although my experience is pretty limited since I'm sort of new to the series outside of that I once played ToP many many many many years ago.

Phantasia
I remember I always stuck with the first three you got, so Cless, Mint and Chester. But I was a kid so that was more due to laziness than any strategy. Also I remember liking Arche for the fact that she flew on a broomstick.

Symphonia
Always Lloyd, Raine and Zelos. Always.
Unless I decided to do the Kratos path than he'd replace Zelos.
Since I don't like using items in battle for most games, sometimes I'd use Sheena just in case Raine dies because the AI always likes to target my healer. (No really, the AI just hates Raine for some reason because they always target her and leave everyone else alone) Other times I'd use Presea if I'm certain it's a battle I'll beat quickly before anyone will die.

Abyss
Luke, Tear, Jade and Anise. Though I'm very prone to switching around a lot during grinding.

Vesperia
Because I have PS3 version, it's Yuri, Estelle and Rita, then either Raven or Flynn. I pretty much never use Patty.

Xillia
Millia, Alvin, Elize and Leia. Of course that game requires you to switch more often, less the unused characters NAG YOU TO DEATH. Who thought this was a damn good idea? I don't want to be nagged to use a character.

So that's about all I got. Well, I've also played DotNW, but you don't actually get a choice beyond which monsters to use and if you use a monster or cameo ToS character, so that's kind of pointless for this.

I generally use everyone in my party in Tales games but to get into specifics

Phantasia: Always use Cl/ress, always drop Mint for Chester and then rotate out one of the spell casters for suzu depending on which has the more powerful spell at the moment. Only use Mint for the secret bosses as she's useless most of the time.

Destiny psx: Always use Stahn or Leon, get Chelsea and Bruiser to join, rarely use Garr as he's trash in the psx version

Eternia: Always use either Reid or Max, generally rotate though the others and rarely put Chat in the party.

Symphonia: Play as Llyod or Kratos, rotate though everyone though usually leave Raine in the party.

DotnW: Only use Emil... Symphonia characters are generally worse then monsters rarely use them

Legendia: Play as Senel or Chloe, rotate everyone else out pretty evenly

Abyss: Play as Anise, Luke/Asch, or Guy, rotate the others evenly

Vesperia: Play as Yuri or Rita, rotate the others evenly

Graces f: Play as Huber or Asbel, rotate the others evenly

Xillia/2: Play as pretty much everyone other then Milla and Elize, rotate everyone else evenly

Innocence: Play as everyone, rotate everyone :X

LuuKyK

Am I the only one that finds Judith really hard to use in Vesperia? Her attacks have a different timing, idk, its weird.

Bladenic

Am I the only one that finds Judith really hard to use in Vesperia? Her attacks have a different timing, idk, its weird.

Nope, I can't use her well at all. I see all these crazy ass combo videos and I'm like "wut"

It's why I never used her unless required. Her skill set seems solely made for 1on1 soloing, she's not good in a party setting especially with the AI. Least useful Vesperia character.

Kasumin

Reading earlier pages, I'm glad I'm not the only one who found Ludger's role as a silent protagonist jarring. I'm not opposed to the idea, but dropping in a silent protagonist into a sequel for a game with an already established cast was so jarring for me.

I eventually stopped playing because I felt like I was playing someone's self-insert fanfic about how they became bffs with the Tales of Xillia 1 cast within 5 minutes of meeting them.

Might return to it after finals and just rush through it. Had a ton of fun getting platinum in Xillia, but apparently Xillia 2 raised the requirements for character ability trophies from 150 uses to 450 uses. It's like the entire game was designed to waste as much of the player's time as possible.

Stardust_Comet

Neo Member

You're not alone.

This is why she's rarely in my team. She's really only of use when you're playing as her, imo. But then I am usually more comfortable as playing as Yuri, so I don't feel up to trying to master Judith to use her when I don't have to.

Bladenic

Tales of Hearts R is fun so far but damn it's so plainly obvious they planned on dubbing it at some point. At least it seems that way.

demidar

Nope, I can't use her well at all. I see all these crazy ass combo videos and I'm like "wut"

It's why I never used her unless required. Her skill set seems solely made for 1on1 soloing, she's not good in a party setting especially with the AI. Least useful Vesperia character.

I could use her fairly well, but her attack timings are something you have to get used to.

She's the only aerial character in Vesperia isn't she?

Stardust_Comet

Neo Member
I could use her fairly well, but her attack timings are something you have to get used to.

She's the only aerial character in Vesperia isn't she?

She is. Her AI also doesn't do her justice as it doesn't capitalise on the fact she is an aerial character and that is where her strengths are.

So I feel like making lists/ranking and maybe this will liven this thread up a bit (Probs not but oh well) What are your favorite party combinations in the games you've played, which you think are most useful, etc.

Eternia: Rid, Farah, Meredy, Keel. I really didn't care about the other characters enough to use them.

Abyss: Luke, Guy, Tear, Jade. I like switching between both melee and I don't want to put Anise or Natalia in the party.

Symphonia: Lloyd, Genius, Refill, anyone. I really don't know who I should use in the last spot. Most of the time it's Kratos or Collet.

Innocence: Everyone switched around, but Ange stays the most because of healing.

Graces: Asbel/Hubert, Sophie, Cheria, Malik. I switch Asbel and Hubert around because they're my favorite to play as, but things fall apart if I let the AI use one of them.

Vesperia: Yuri, Flynn, Estelle, Rita. Can't decide which one I like more, plus having both in the party means I can use Bushin Soutenha. Before Flynn joins the party I switch around the other characters except for Judith because wtf am I doing.

I really should play Xillia, but so many games in my backlog :(

aravuus

How's the story in Hearts (R)? Super cliche and unremarkable like Graces' or actually interesting with a couple of awesome twists like in the Tales of the Abyss?

I don't have a Vita so I was wondering if watching a let's play of it is worth it.

Stardust_Comet

Neo Member
I don't expect the AI to do anything well :lol

Okay, that's very true XD

How's the story in Hearts (R)? Super cliche and unremarkable like Graces' or actually interesting with a couple of awesome twists like in the Tales of the Abyss?

I don't have a Vita so I was wondering if watching a let's play of it is worth it.

Judging from the thread about it in the gaming section, people are actually enjoying it. They've said the battle system isn't as fun as Graces, but it's still fun. And other than people finding Shing boring, people have commented that the other characters were interesting.

So yeah, overall it sounds like it's a good game.

Bladenic

The stream is on air right now. But no new informations so far. Just recap, attachments and thousands of preorder bonuses for Japan.

I suppose it's worth noting again that there's a shot during the trial dungeon video of the whole party, but Rosé is there and Alisha isn't. The two have yet to be seen together. Watch them be some two-people-in-one-body thing like Elena/Milenia

Soriku

I know what you mean, I'm sick of having to wait for post-game for any semblance of puzzles.

edit: Or at least any puzzles that aren't ridiculously easy

In the Xillia games, the post-game dungeons weren't very good :x Graces wasn't so hot either. I'd like a good, puzzle-filled, but not annoying and not randomly generated post-game dungeon or dungeons for once.

demidar

In the Xillia games, the post-game dungeons weren't very good :x Graces wasn't so hot either. I'd like a good, puzzle-filled, but not annoying and not randomly generated post-game dungeon or dungeons for once.

Post-game dungeons have been on a downward trend for a while. I've played through some of Xilla 2's and it's garbage. It's the same 4 rooms! :mad:

Top Bottom