• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Series | Community Thread | Localizing more games than Square Enix

Stardust_Comet

Neo Member
I like the over translation to like the item guage now saying something like "use item" for no reason when it was already in english in Japanese

That's the part of the point in my suggestion, makes too much sense from gameplay and sales perspective

If they're willing to change all the spell names that are already in English in the Japanese version, they'll change anything in the localisations.

Also, that does make too much sense. So you know Bamco will mess it up somehow. I at least know for sure that they won't release it outside of Japan, killing off a potential market for it outside of Japan. Then they'll only release it on the Vita, and not have it on the 3/2DS. Then they'll make Lloyd be in charge of creating that game, and he'd make Colette the hardest because she has him

Zankou

I'm not hyped for Hearts R, but I'm looking forward to play it again. Hearts DS is one of my favourite games in the series. Even if the localization is not as good as in previous games (which isn't sure yet), it can't be worse than the fan translation I used when I played the game for the first time.

redhairedking

So I picked up ToX2 again today. I hadn't touched the game since my release week marathon to finish the story before classes resumed. Does anyone know if there is a way to farm the friendship potions, or at least a relatively easy way to grind up the affection levels? I really don't want to do a second playthrough just for the bonus dungeon but only have one character at 8 hearts.

Falk

that puzzling face
Yeah you can, especially if you take the time to do the red-blue-green (I think? Can't remember the exact order for 6 points) light thingoo every time.

redhairedking

How is Tales of Hearts R, anyway?

It's kinda short, I finished my first playthrough in ~25 hours or so. I wasn't even intending to go quickly. The story is fine, but not as good as the DS version, in my opinion. I would say the battle system is probably one of the most enjoyable we've seen in a modern Tales game.

Rhapsody

Banned
For me, I'm not too excited since I'm still finishing up the DS version (I keep getting sidetracked).

It's also that time of the year when there's too many games to get.

Young Magus

It's kinda short, I finished my first playthrough in ~25 hours or so. I wasn't even intending to go quickly. The story is fine, but not as good as the DS version, in my opinion. I would say the battle system is probably one of the most enjoyable we've seen in a modern Tales game.

How is the battle system in R? Heard it's not as good as the DS version.

kewlmyc

The transition from DS to Vita made the story different?

Datschge

It's not the same, doesn't even have the same base and simply is not comparable at all. Hearts' was 2D and like a somewhat worse portable Destiny R. Hearts R's is imo the best 3D battle system after Graces and Xillia 2.

There is a superfluous additional character, and some scenes are different in the oddest ways. Nothing that would stand out unless directly compared though imo.

redhairedking

I thought the DS version had the superior battle system, though R still has a very enjoyable battle system. It's better than most other current Tales games.

If I'm remembering this correctly the game was actually outsourced and not done directly by Bamco. The story has been modified to tie in with Innocence R and Tempest R (should it ever happen), but is for the most part the same as the DS version. My only complaint was that there were scenes from the DS version that I had greatly enjoyed which were altered for R. All in all, you won't notice or have any complaints if you haven't played the DS version.

FSLink

Banned
The save file isn't super copy protected like, say, Demon's Souls saves are, which can't be even exported out of the console.

Afaik, ToX2 saves are only assigned to a particular user, which is easily fixed on a computer. I could be wrong though, I have yet to actually import any save data.
Unfortunately it seems it doesn't always work due to DLC. Tried converting my JPN save to a US one and it fails the check since I had the Madoka costume DLC.

Wrote a Xillia 2 review for my internship. Yeah, I was pretty harsh, but I knew the silent protagonist/debt paywalls were big warning signs before jumping in and as expected they severely hampered my experience (other things did too, but those two stood out the most besides maybe the reused assets).

I didn't go into this due to spoilers, but what bothered me the most about Ludger was
the post-Julius battle scene and he's ACTUALLY TALKING and has something resembling a personality; one I could get to like, even! What the hell kind of a tease was that?
I'd still take his default self over Emil any day, but I'm getting quite frustrated with Tales' squandered potential.

Anyways, enough pessimism. Hello, TalesGAF! I could replay Tales of Symphonia until the end of time if I wanted to.

Stardust_Comet

Neo Member
Galando Grinus. Overall he's barely integrated into the story, just there.

Ah, I see. Sort of like Patty in some scenes in ToV. That's a shame.

Now watch as they decide to bring back Tales of (insert flavour) Gumi and have Galando join Suzu in mourning how he wasn't originally a playable character and that no one likes him even after he became playable.

Wrote a Xillia 2 review for my internship. Yeah, I was pretty harsh, but I knew the silent protagonist/debt paywalls were big warning signs before jumping in and as expected they severely hampered my experience (other things did too, but those two stood out the most besides maybe the reused assets).

I didn't go into this due to spoilers, but what bothered me the most about Ludger was
the post-Julius battle scene and he's ACTUALLY TALKING and has something resembling a personality; one I could get to like, even! What the hell kind of a tease was that?
I'd still take his default self over Emil any day, but I'm getting quite frustrated with Tales' squandered potential.

Anyways, enough pessimism. Hello, TalesGAF! I could replay Tales of Symphonia until the end of time if I wanted to.

Just to make the whole being a silent protag
until the end
even worse is that on your second play through you can choose to play with Ludger having his voice. As other people on here have said, Bamco needed to either stick with a fully silent protag or a fully voiced protag. Not have both.

That said, at least they can't get worse than Emil, right?

Falk

that puzzling face
To me the funniest part about the whole ordeal is how he's fully voiced in combat.

"Yeah you can do your silent protag thing but he needs to call out his moves when he does them that's a japanese trope and sacred and you can't touch it naaa uhhh"

Just to make the whole being a silent protag
until the end
even worse is that on your second play through you can choose to play with Ludger having his voice. As other people on here have said, Bamco needed to either stick with a fully silent protag or a fully voiced protag. Not have both.

So I hear! Not worth a second playthrough from my end, lol.

Fully-voiced protagonist or bust. I guess it's an interesting concept on paper but it just doesn't work in Tales.

That said, at least they can't get worse than Emil, right?

They couldn't have made a worse protagonist for that game if they tried. As far as I'm concerned, DOTW is non-canon bullshit.

To me the funniest part about the whole ordeal is how he's fully voiced in combat.

"Yeah you can do your silent protag thing but he needs to call out his moves when he does them that's a japanese trope and sacred and you can't touch it naaa uhhh"

lmaoooo

Stardust_Comet

Neo Member
So I hear! Not worth a second playthrough from my end, lol.

Fully-voiced protagonist or bust. I guess it's an interesting concept on paper but it just doesn't work in Tales.[\quote]

Especially when they can't not have the protag call their attacks out like Falk said. It'd be interesting and they could possibly pull it off if there was an in-story reason, such as the character was a mute, but then they'd have to let that character not call their attacks.

They couldn't have made a worse protagonist for that game if they tried. As far as I'm concerned, DOTW is non-canon bullshit.

I feel the same way with it being non-canon. Although most of my beef is with the Centurions being able to run the world without mana. It just doesn't really fit in the Symphonia world. There's not a single record about something like them existing, and despite all the "new" characters knowing about it, when someone like Raine or the 4,000 year old angels hasn't heard about them before now, you got a problem. Then there's the issue of mana; so the Centurions can make the world remain alive without mana, so what was the point of needing mana for life before? Hell, what was the point of the original game's plot if mana wasn't needed for life? I am not going to believe in 4,000 years, no one had ever tried studying the possibility of living without mana.

Also, if I recall about Tales of Phantasia, mana is still a thing. The world is still living off the mana from the great tree.

I admit that the Centurion idea was interesting, but honestly it's something I felt that should have been in another game that was not based in Aselia.

Also, if I recall about Tales of Phantasia, mana is still a thing. The world is still living off the mana from the great tree.

It's actually different in ToP, in the beginning of the game The World Tree is dead and there's no mana, but all that does is make it so no one is able to use magic. The world doesn't require it to survive like it did in Symphonia (and probably the main purpose of the ending of DotNW since Ratatosk starts working on changing how mana affects the world).

Stardust_Comet

Neo Member
It's actually different in ToP, in the beginning of the game The World Tree is dead and there's no mana, but all that does is make it so no one is able to use magic. The world doesn't require it to survive like it did in Symphonia (and probably the main purpose of the ending of DotNW since Ratatosk starts working on changing how mana affects the world).

Man, did I remember things completely the opposite. I knew it had been way too long since I played ToP but I didn't think I remembered things that incorrectly... I should consider watching an LP to refresh my memory.

Although now I'm wondering why the hell no one before had ever thought about living without mana in the original game. Since they knew it had to be like that in ToP there's literally no reason at all for something like the Centurions to be a surprise. ToS on it's own, at least I could brush it off as "okay, well Cruxis was trying to make sure development in any one world couldn't happen" so I could buy into them not completely figuring out a way yet (or hell, there's the option of the world had always been like that so there was nothing before to make them think they could live without mana). But then DotNW comes being only two years after all that and then every new character knows about this thing that never existed in the games before that could fix everything that used to be wrong with the worlds, and I'm meant to believe those two years was all it took for them to figure it out? That actually makes the fact that Centurions were obviously not part of the original canon even worse.

Actually, I'm wondering, why did Ratatosk need plot tokens to collect to serve him? As in, why did Bamco decide he needed them? Is it just because there are no summon spirits to collect and collecting something like that makes it feel more like a Tales game? Because honestly, it feels like they if they put in another reason for why Ratatosk was weak, then you wouldn't need the Centurions at all.

Jonnax

So I hear you have the option of having Ludger voiced in a new game plus. Does he just read out one of the two options that you are faced with?

I can't imagine they went through the trouble of writing dialogue and changing skits.

Ketkat

So I hear you have the option of having Ludger voiced in a new game plus. Does he just read out one of the two options that you are faced with?

I can't imagine they went through the trouble of writing dialogue and changing skits.

Yep, he just says it word for word.

Stardust_Comet

Neo Member

I haven't seen it but I don't think they need to change the skits. Hearing from people who have played it, in-game universe, everyone behaves like Ludger actually has a voice and is talking, when you clearly cannot hear his voice. They would just need to access the sound file where he's speaking for anything needed on the second playthrough with voice on.

I haven't seen it but I don't think they need to change the skits. Hearing from people who have played it, in-game universe, everyone behaves like Ludger actually has a voice and is talking, when you clearly cannot hear his voice. They would just need to access the sound file where he's speaking for anything needed on the second playthrough with voice on.

The problem is they don't add voices to those skits or scenes, it's only when you get the L/R decisions where Ludger will speak a line and he'll literally only say that one line then go back to being mute.

Stardust_Comet

Neo Member
The problem is they don't add voices to those skits or scenes, it's only when you get the L/R decisions where Ludger will speak a line and he'll literally only say that one line then go back to being mute.

Wait, is it only Ludger that isn't voiced during the skits or is no one voiced during the skits? If it's the former, is Ludger still voiceless for skits on a second playthrough with voice on option?

Goddamn, if that's the case, Bamco wtf. Not only did you do something as weird as a silent protag for a game series where it doesn't make sense, but you messed it up big time.

Ketkat

Wait, is it only Ludger that isn't voiced during the skits or is no one voiced during the skits? If it's the former, is Ludger still voiceless for skits on a second playthrough with voice on option?

Goddamn, if that's the case, Bamco wtf. Not only did you do something as weird as a silent protag for a game series where it doesn't make sense, but you messed it up big time.

I would have found it more annoying if they had just cut out Ludger's voice lines but still had him talking in skits. He's a quiet guy, nothing wrong with that. I really don't get all the hate for silent protagonists. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. But, the same is true for voiced protagonists. I just don't see it as an automatic negative.

Stardust_Comet

Neo Member
I would have found it more annoying if they had just cut out Ludger's voice lines but still had him talking in skits. He's a quiet guy, nothing wrong with that. I really don't get all the hate for silent protagonists. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. But, the same is true for voiced protagonists. I just don't see it as an automatic negative.

No, I meant that, if in the second playthrough, when you choose to have his voice on, is he not voiced in skits at all despite being voiced outside of them? Or do they just not have voiced skits at all?

I believe most people who find it negative here is that Ludger is a silent protag who at the end, then starts talking, and can then have an option to have a voice. It's already kind of weird bringing a silent protag for a Tales game, but it doesn't help how he's only a silent protag up until a point, with then having the option to remove the silent protag aspect out of Ludger's character. Either go all the way with a silent protag or don't do it, cause it feels weird otherwise.

Ketkat

No, I meant that, if in the second playthrough, when you choose to have his voice on, is he not voiced in skits at all despite being voiced outside of them? Or do they just not have voiced skits at all?

I believe most people who find it negative here is that Ludger is a silent protag who at the end, then starts talking, and can then have an option to have a voice. It's already kind of weird bringing a silent protag for a Tales game, but it doesn't help how he's only a silent protag up until a point, with then having the option to remove the silent protag aspect out of Ludger's character. Either go all the way with a silent protag or don't do it, cause it feels weird otherwise.

He's still a really quiet guy in NG+. He just only says like a single sentence or two in most large conversations.

Silent protagonist can work fine, but what makes the Tales series work is character interactions in scenes and skits. Having Ludger be silent combined with having a cast that already knows each other really doesn't work at all. A silent protagonist should have been tried in an original game with an original cast, or it should have been like the tales of the world games where your character is a silent custom made inser character

wighti

Is there a consensus on Tales of Hearts that's coming out in a few weeks? Been waiting for a Tales game on an handheld for a while now. The PSP ones were a major disappointment, not being full titles, for me.

redhairedking

Is there a consensus on Tales of Hearts that's coming out in a few weeks? Been waiting for a Tales game on an handheld for a while now. The PSP ones were a major disappointment, not being full titles, for me.

A fair number of the PSP games were just ports of PS2 titles though. Anyway, Hearts R is a great game and well worth your time. The battle system is one of the best in modern Tales games and overall the story is good, though not quite as good as the original DS release in my opinion.

Stardust_Comet

Neo Member
He's still a really quiet guy in NG+. He just only says like a single sentence or two in most large conversations.

At least that helps his case.

But I really don't understand what they were thinking with "let's have him a silent protag but also have him voiced as well". I'm not sure what marketing or developing team thought that was a better option than making Ludger a fully fledged silent protag.

redhairedking

At least that helps his case.

But I really don't understand what they were thinking with "let's have him a silent protag but also have him voiced as well". I'm not sure what marketing or developing team thought that was a better option than making Ludger a fully fledged silent protag.

Honestly, I'd rather they just voiced him

Datschge

The PSP ones were a major disappointment, not being full titles, for me.
Which ones weren't full titles? The ports are complete. The crossover spin off titles are, well, spin offs. NDX is superb at what it does and imo validates getting a PSP for Tales.

Bladenic

Welp, ordered a Vita and Tales of Innocence R. Then I'll get Hearts R when it releases. Excited.

I've been mostly taking brakes from games though... Which means I've yet to finish Detiny 2 (final dungeon), Narikiri X or Phantasia X. Not to mention I also ordered Xillia 2 english finally too.

Top Bottom