• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Symphonia Remastered Announced - PS|Xbox|Switch - Early 2023 - Pre Order Links Live ($39.99)

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
AN EPIC ADVENTURE
Explore a rich and lively world filled with unforgettable characters and experience an emotionally charged storyline like never before.

FULLY RESTORED
Features graphically enhanced and improved gameplay.

THRILLING BATTLES
Play with up to 3 friends in local co-op mode to fight powerful opponents in real-time battles. Combine hundreds of special attacks and magic spells.

A 3D MASTERPIECE
Watch stunning anime cutscenes and become absorbed in endearing cel-shaded characters designed by renowned artist Kosuke Fujishima.

Last edited:

Jsisto

Can’t wait! One of my favorite JRPGs. I’m sure it has aged quick a bit, hopefully there will be some QoL updates.

Doom85

Episode 1 Applause GIF by Friends

Always nice to have one of the older Tales available on current systems. Would love to have Abyss be made available as well, having it on 3DS is nice but a big screen option would be sweet. And I’d love to have a chance to play Legendia and the PS1 titles.

Mr Hyde

This trailer made quite nostalgic about the game. It's due for a new playthrough on PS3.

Last edited:

Fbh

Was hoping that if we ever saw this game again it would get more of a remake.
The chibi character models are still so ugly.

blackjon24

Used to love this game but they could have a done a lot more than what I am seeing. This game is beloved in the west, should have been remade. We already got a remaster (lackluster as it may have been) that included both games. This game is also dirt cheap on pc all the time

NO NO NO

Fuck off with this and give us Graces F on every platform please Bamco. Then the Xillia games. We need to save these games from the PS3, not Symphonia which has been on a bunch of platforms

e: btw anyone expecting it to be a substantial remaster should look at the screenshots on the store page and also note that it seems to be last-gen only. If you're lucky it'll be 60FPS but I wouldn't even expect that, more likely they're just repackaging the older re-release and advertising it as remastered because it's higher-res than the PS3 version

Last edited:
I 100%'d the game on Steam last year, doesn't look different compared to that version. I wouldn't be surprised if it was just that - the PS3 remaster, still locked to 30 fps (which, even if I played the original GC version first, never really bothered me; it's only really noticeable during cutscenes).

Still a great game, easily in my top 3 Tales.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I 100%'d the game on Steam last year, doesn't look different compared to that version. I wouldn't be surprised if it was just that - the PS3 remaster, still locked to 30 fps (which, even if I played the original GC version first, never really bothered me; it's only really noticeable during cutscenes).

Still a great game, easily in my top 3 Tales.

I've only played the GameCube version, but I'd have thought it would be pretty noticeable in combat, what with it basically being a real-time 2D battle system? Edit: Or is it a 3D system in this one? I was sure I remembered it being mainly left/right movement and jumping, but it's been a long time.

In towns etc it would be less important I guess.

Last edited:

Celcius

°Temp. member
I still have the ps3 version. Is this not coming to Steam, or is it just porting that same version to more systems?

anthony2690

Day one, this was my introduction to the series on the GameCube, absolutely love this game :)

It was a GameCube disc that had the intro that made me need to play this game, I thought it was the coolest thing ever as a kid :)

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Well, in a disappointing fucking turn of events, looks like this is just 1080p/30 on all platforms and doesn't even get any PS5|Series enhancements.

YgJEoPr.png

Via the official JP website:

Last edited:

Sleepwalker

Well, in a disappointing fucking turn of events, looks like this is just 1080p/30 on all platforms and doesn't even get any PS5|Series enhancements.

YgJEoPr.png

200.gif

jimmypython

YgJEoPr.png

LOL...ok I will pass. One less game to buy, which is fine by me

Rykan

I love how people basically just expected a functional port that runs at the same framerate as the GameCube original and yet even that is too much to ask for. What a joke.

jonnyXx

This is probably just the Steam version being ported to new consoles.

Wish they'd have more reverence for the best selling game in the franchise so that we can finally have a definitive version of the damn game.

GHound

I love how people basically just expected a functional port that runs at the same framerate as the GameCube original and yet even that is too much to ask for. What a joke.
The fact that they couldn't even meet the bare minimum and the standard edition is priced the same as the Chronicles double pack from nearly a decade ago is adding some severe insult to injury as well.

This was obvious from the screenshots and platforms. This is a minimum effort port; as myself and others have said, it's likely a repackaging of the old PC/PS3 remaster. I bet they lost the code for the original Gamecube version and so it would be effort to bring back 60FPS battles.... modders haven't been able to do that either which suggests it's impossible in the game that exists.

edit: I also frankly don't care too much. Symphonia is overrated. I mentioned Graces F and Xillia before, and they would be the most appreciated releases, but after those I'd love an Abyss port.

Last edited:

alf717

YgJEoPr.png

That's sucks, As mentioned earlier it would of been better if we got Graces F or a Xillia packs instead. Well at least they run good on emulation.

Mistake

Looks like you get even less than the ps3 set

I've only played the GameCube version, but I'd have thought it would be pretty noticeable in combat, what with it basically being a real-time 2D battle system? Edit: Or is it a 3D system in this one? I was sure I remembered it being mainly left/right movement and jumping, but it's been a long time.

In towns etc it would be less important I guess.
3D but on a 2D plane. Your edit is correct. The combat wasn’t exactly fast anyway, so 30fps didn’t make much difference to me. I was just happy to get unision combos for regal

Last edited:

alf717

enCCiLq.jpg

What's the difference?
If you mean just ToS then it seems you only get Symphonia and no Dawn of the New World and at the sub par 30 all around unlike how the GameCube version ran at 60 FPS except on the world map where it was 30 FPS. Crazy how the GameCube version is still the best way to play definitive way in my books.

On a side note I was able to grab all of those brand new at a great price last year. ToS Chronicles, Xillia 1 and 2 have the labels in Spanish and Grace F is the European release and they play fine in English. As I said earlier they also run great on emulation but I would rather see them make their way to other platforms as ports and not just stuck to one.

Last edited:

Saiyan-Rox

The product page says "featuring graphically enhanced and improved gameplay".

Gonna assume its 60 FPS.

YgJEoPr.png

They had one fucking job

Last edited:

kubricks

I wanted re-release of old tales but not this, then we have 30fps? LOL
Try Tales of Destiny 2 and Tales of Destiny: Director's cut.

Top Bottom