• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Zestiria Import Thread - Turning Legends Into Hope

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Hm. Mine hasn't shipped yet. I've been worried since I have both Zestiria and Legend of Legacy in the same order, but it's the Asian version of Zestiria. I hope it still ships on time for me to get it on Friday. They usually ship on Thursday at like 3 AM my time, so there's still time though.

Did you get it from PA?

Aeana

Did you get it from PA?

Yeah. I always order from P-A when I want something release week. They've never once let me down, but this is also the first time I've had more than one item in my release-week order, and also the first time they haven't had an exact date listed for the Asian version of a game on the item page.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Yeah. I always order from P-A when I want something release week. They've never once let me down, but this is also the first time I've had more than one item in my release-week order, and also the first time they haven't had an exact date listed for the Asian version of a game on the item page.

I don't know how you feel but maybe switch to the JP version? The JP version is 1 dollar more expensive. I know you bought the Asian version of the previous games and I don't know if it'll still give you same stuff or not but... just a thought.

Rpgmonkey

- So going by the OT Alisha is a princess. I'm not surprised.

- It seems certain people (me included) overreacted with the "food for Inns" thing. Going by OT info there are snacks (traditional food whose benefits last a few battles) and the inn food (which has longer benefits?).

- Want to know more about the Lord of the Land reputations and the Shops reputations. Hopefully the later is more like Graces than Xillia's (which was an excuse since the game was rushed and they probably weren't able to implement a craft system like the one in X2).

- And want more info about gameplay! Having Graces dude working on it has me hyped. In the OT it seems like you can actually switch party members? Even if it's limited to Tenzoku and you need to have two humans in your party, that's awesome!

I think snacks only last for one battle and the benefits aren't as good, but have the advantage of being more accessible. Food can only be made at inns, but have better effects and last for more than one battle.

RalchAC

I think snacks only last for one battle and the benefits aren't as good, but have the advantage of being more accessible. Food can only be made at inns, but have better effects and last for more than one battle.

Do the snacks use materials? In the OT it seems they're skills.

Thanks for the answer!

kiryogi

Banned
Just paid off my Amiami order. . . Although lol Ishin really did arrive yesterday. I'm not sure why I got either of these when I'm so deep into ARR currently :/

Aeana

I don't know how you feel but maybe switch to the JP version? The JP version is 1 dollar more expensive. I know you bought the Asian version of the previous games and I don't know if it'll still give you same stuff or not but... just a thought.

It won't give me the bonuses. But they're also sold out of the JP version now, it seems. I'm just gonna let it go.

RPGCrazied

All you importers, do you understand Japanese? I know rpgmonkey does. I envy you. Get to play jRPG's way in advance before its western release.

artsi

All you importers, do you understand Japanese? I know rpgmonkey does. I envy you. Get to play jRPG's way in advance before its western release.

Yep, playing imports is the reason why I started studying when I did. No regrets, got a good hobby too.

kiryogi

Banned
Know enough to make my way through them!

My new motto that I picked up from someone on Yakuza is. "Gameplay is universal" but yeah, I have basic kana knowledge along with a handful of kanji that helps me get through it. I've been importing since the Dreamcast era.

It won't give me the bonuses. But they're also sold out of the JP version now, it seems. I'm just gonna let it go.

Although Amiami isn't as blazing fast as Playasia, I've moved onto amiami as they're 100% on bonuses and often even have more bonuses.

RalchAC

Same here. I envy them. I want to learn japanese (my university does courses) but I won't do that until my German is decent, since one is a must for me while the other would be just for "fun".

Aeana

My new motto that I picked up from someone on Yakuza is. "Gameplay is universal" but yeah, I have basic kana knowledge along with a handful of kanji that helps me get through it. I've been importing since the Dreamcast era.

You should be further along than that after all this time. :(

kiryogi

Banned
You should be further along than that after all this time. :(

Maybe more than a handful of kanji lol. I keep picking up new ones with each new title I play, but yeah a class would help! Or further self study. That said one of the key things for importing for me too often is if it's full voice, then there's no issues with understanding the story and exchanges. (hurrah for skits) I've picked up a ton while playing Ciel nosurge currently actually.

So I assume you got the smartphone stand from them cause I did too, ahahahaha

lol no I skipped on that this time. I already got the same styled one from Ciel nosurge OFFLINE from a few months ago. Too many preorder trinkets!

Aizo

Banned
Is anyone playing who doesn't know much Japanese? Seems like that would be hard.
I only ask because I didn't know some people posting know Japanese! That's a nice surprise.

Aeana

Is anyone playing who doesn't know much Japanese? Seems like that would be hard.
I only ask because I didn't know some people posting know Japanese! That's a nice surprise.

There's several people on the forum who are fluent in Japanese. I teach the language, myself.

artsi

Just placed my order on YesAsia, hopefully it'll be sent out tomorrow and the customs won't grab it. Been having good luck so far.

Mifec

Ya I'm playing it with not much knowledge will have someone sit in or skype me while I stream for them though, so should be fine.

Aizo

Banned
There's several people on the forum who are fluent in Japanese. I teach the language, myself.
I know you are fluent. We PMed about it a bit ago :p
I was referring to a couple people in comminity forums I post in.
Ya I'm playing it with not much knowledge will have someone sit in or skype me while I stream for them though, so should be fine.
That's awesome! I speak, but I'm not fluent. I anticipate some confusion while I play. I'll be fine with normal dialogue, but when they talk about magic and stuff, I'll probably have a bit of trouble.

Aeana

Whoa. Seems like learning a language would be very hard. I only know English, but can count to 20 in Spanish. lol

I consider language learning my primary hobby. I'm always trying to better myself in one language or another. I don't think it's difficult, it just requires your attention and most importantly, a willingness to leave your comfort zone to immerse yourself in the language. The primary stumbling block people seem to have with language learning is wanting so very badly to fall back on their native language. Getting past that is one of the most important steps to successfully acquiring a language.

I know you are fluent. We PMed about it a bit ago :p
I was referring to a couple people in comminity forums I post in.

Ah, that's right. Sorry, I didn't recognize.

Jiraiza

Mine shipped, but won't get around to play it until I finish Ar Nosurge. Gotta kick that "Jump to next game and never finish the previous game" habit to the curve.

Tempting...

Rpgmonkey

Do the snacks use materials? In the OT it seems they're skills.

Thanks for the answer!

They're sorta like the Eleth Pot, you make them while traveling. There's other skills that'll make Gels and stuff too. I don't think they use materials, in fact I don't think materials exist at all in Zestiria, for food or equipment. I've never seen any in menu screenshots or mentioned in gameplay details.

Bebpo

Banned

Woah, didn't know you teach it. Very cool career. That was my original plan, grad school and then teaching Japanese as a professor. But didn't work out, so the most teaching I do is for friends, for free, as a hobby on occasion. Otherwise I don't really use my Japanese outside of import games and trips to Japan every once and a while.

I have ordered the Jap version on P-a and it still hasn't shipped for me.. so ..

Ralemont

not me
Whoa. Seems like learning a language would be very hard. I only know English, but can count to 20 in Spanish. lol

It can be, but sometimes the language itself matters along with the person. Despite its reputation, I found Japanese to be much easier to learn than Spanish, since its grammar is more logical and less prone to arbitrary exception.

After studying Japanese and comparing it to, say, English, I feel very lucky to have learned English natively. It has to be a nightmare to pick up later in life.

FSLink

Banned
There were people not liking ToD's OP in the last topic!?
ToD's OP is probably one of my favorites. ToA, ToX, ToX2, ToE, ToH's are also some of the best as well. (And I have a soft spot for ToS GC's though I recognize it's pretty generic). As long as we can all agree ToD2 JPN's is the worst.

Also Sorey, I'll probably call the protagonist Slay since it'll drive a lot of people nuts.

Mifec

That's awesome! I speak, but I'm not fluent. I anticipate some confusion while I play. I'll be fine with normal dialogue, but when they talk about magic and stuff, I'll probably have a bit of trouble.

Yeah I have a great friend who doesn't mind me wasting her time with my bs :D

Obv I'll be limited to playing when she has time but it's whatever.

They're sorta like the Eleth Pot, you make them while traveling. There's other skills that'll make Gels and stuff too. I don't think they use materials, in fact I don't think materials exist at all in Zestiria, for food or equipment. I've never seen any in menu screenshots or mentioned in gameplay details.

Would be pretty cool to have a Tales game without having to hunt for materials.

Though now we'll just be hunting for random drops!

It can be, but sometimes the language itself matters along with the person. Despite its reputation, I found Japanese to be much easier to learn than Spanish, since its grammar is more logical and less prone to arbitrary exception.

After studying Japanese and comparing it to, say, English, I feel very lucky to have learned English natively. It has to be a nightmare to pick up later in life.

Lol , that's exactly me... i started spanish very early ..but i just can't GET it , yet japanese was so much simpler ( and faster )

Aeana

No materials with those large fields seems kinda strange. But if that's the case, I actually don't mind, because I think the recent-ish trend of Japanese RPGs switching over to picking up loads of materials is kind of tiring. Even DQ9 did it. :¥

Datschge

When watching one of the streams I had my first "this is really amazing" moment: In some scenes the transitions between exploration, cutscenes and battles are completely non-existent, even without any camera cut. In theory it might not be really special, but in execution this was really exhilarating to watch, especially as the transitions happened regularly. Bet it's even more so when in actual control. ^^

No materials with those large fields seems kinda strange. But if that's the case, I actually don't mind, because I think the recent-ish trend of Japanese RPGs switching over to picking up loads of materials is kind of tiring. Even DQ9 did it. :¥

wait , sorry if this has been explained before , but if there are no material to pick on the field , how do you upgrade your shop level , now ?

wait , sorry if this has been explained before , but if there are no material to pick on the field , how do you upgrade your shop level , now ?

We do have random equipment drops.

Or maybe money pours in. It could be like Graces shop leveling where spend/sell more to increase shop levels.

Aeana

Shops are upgraded by buying and selling items. It seems more like the stamp system in Graces than the shop build system from Xillia.

We do have random equipment drops.

Or maybe money pours in. It could be like Graces shop leveling where spend/sell more to increase shop levels.

Shops are upgraded by buying and selling items. It seems more like the stamp system in Graces than the shop build system from Xillia.

I see, so they went back on that aspect too ...

i can't watch streams and i'm waiting for my copy so i'll ask another question. Are shop still divised in categories ( across the game ) . or is it more like shops are limited by cities ( like abyss ) that you have to upgrade ?

Bebpo

Banned
Slay for life.

Could be worse, I call Loewe in Trails in the Sky Rave half the time because レーヴェ sure sounds like a weird romanization of Rave on first read (Re-ve). And Sorey sounds like a weird romanization of Slay, so I'll probably be calling him that too.

Sometimes I have to force myself to remember the "correct/official" romanization of character names because they don't make much sense and in my mind I think of them as a different name.

Could be worse, I call Loewe in Trails in the Sky Rave half the time because レーヴェ sure sounds like a weird romanization of Rave on first read (Re-ve). And Sorey sounds like a weird romanization of Slay, so I'll probably be calling him that too.

Sometimes I have to force myself to remember the "correct/official" romanization of character names because they don't make much sense and in my mind I think of them as a different name.

I know I won't remember the 'official' romanization for Slay cause スレイ =/= Sorey. I know enough katakana for this!

Hell, if they didn't want to go with Slay, might as well went with Slaine or something that sounds like it.

SLAY IS NOT ALLOWED. :mad:

sorey, I'll keep using Slay

I hope they keep Slay for the translated name, not something like Sleigh, that would be weird.

It's already been confirmed and groaned that it'll be Sorey.

I'm not fluent, but I understand it when spoken, I can read somewhat good too.
I don't have a lot of possibilities to actively practice it, so I can speak but not fluently enough as to hold a high flow discussion. Writing, however, is the worst area for me.

I've been watching films, drama, anime, and playing games (normal ones like RPGs, platformers and so forth, but also a lot of Visual Novels) for a bit now so unless it goes all metaphysical or something really specific, I should be able to understand.

I could improve on A LOT of aspects, and probably should by taking this even more seriously than I have until now, but without any sort of immersion in a group and the like, there are walls I won't be able to climb that easily.
Wait and see in a few months if I can get a position in Japan. It could work out, but nothing is set in stone yet.

[/off-topic]

Top Bottom