• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Teaching English in Asia |OT| We're back!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for the info guys.

Is the air so bad in Beijing that you wouldn't recommend going there either? Or just something you have to deal with?

Is the air so bad in Beijing that you wouldn't recommend going there either? Or just something you have to deal with?

Its getting better now. Its always worse in winter. The last week was always quite good with air quality around 30-50, depending where you live. Here in the north of Beijing its always better.
I remember there was one day where it was like 200 in downtown and like 30 here in the north and totally sunny here while a friend 40km away couldnt see a thing.

supergiz

EPIK would be your best shot.

Epik seems like pretty much a shoe in given my 4 years prior teaching experience abroad. Thing that is going to be difficult is the 2 letters of recommendation. They are looking for 1-2 pages from each person? I think the most I can get is a few sentences.

Epik seems like pretty much a shoe in given my 4 years prior teaching experience abroad. Thing that is going to be difficult is the 2 letters of recommendation. They are looking for 1-2 pages from each person? I think the most I can get is a few sentences.

Well, depending on how well your relationship was with the teachers from your previous schools, you can just write the letters yourself and just ask them to sign it. That's what I did when I applied for GEPIK 2 years ago.

numble

I personally really like Beijing, but I haven't really lived there in 3 years or so, when it has gotten really bad. The summers didn't seem particularly bad.

What you have going in Beijing is a nice mix of multiculturalism. For foreigners, there's a critical mass of people for different communities for students, diplomats, and businessmen, so there's lots of services and amenities. And then you have people from all over China, so you can get a big mix of food from all over--Xinjiang, Yunnan, Sichuan, etc. In many other places those types of restaurants are a bit more rare or limited only to high end places.

It really all depends on what kind of experience you want to get out of China and the type of person you are. If you really are adventurous, want to see more unique things, or want to really improve your Chinese, a rural area might be what you're looking for. Then again, you can always do that on vacation trips and language improvement can be done anywhere with the right attitude. Sometimes you just want creature comforts like Papa Johns, Burger King, Fatburger, etc. You might get better options for further study or better jobs in Beijing, since that's where there are many universities and multinational corporations. And of course you want to consider pay and cost of living.

So, I signed up at seriousteachers.com, and I'm getting inundated with emails about job offers. A lot of them are through recruiters. Is that a bad thing to use? Or are recruiters a good tool? Anything I should watch out for?

Someone before had said I could get 18,000 RMB a month to teach in Shanghai. None of the jobs I've seen so far are anywhere close to that (mostly around 8-10,000). Was that a lie?

caesar

Banned

What?! Mine were like a paragraph or two. Just ignore that.

sohois

So, I signed up at seriousteachers.com, and I'm getting inundated with emails about job offers. A lot of them are through recruiters. Is that a bad thing to use? Or are recruiters a good tool? Anything I should watch out for?

Someone before had said I could get 18,000 RMB a month to teach in Shanghai. None of the jobs I've seen so far are anywhere close to that (mostly around 8-10,000). Was that a lie?

That was me. Those jobs aren't just everywhere though, as you can imagine, that's a high pay and any such job would have a lot of competition. I get 20'000 per month, most teachers in my specific area will get in the mid 20s. A friend of mine works for an exam prep place and can get more than 30'000 per month. Like with all jobs, you're going to need to get a bit of luck for the best offers.

As for recruiters, just google search them. Not all are bad, though I tend to avoid them. They should be getting paid by the school rather than collecting from you, as a rule.

edit: one other thing to bear in mind, some salary offers won't include the extra benefits or even housing allowance which can boost pay. It's worth investigating sometimes.

editedit: Since I still get emails from various recruiters, figured I would post some of the job descriptions from this one guy just to show you that there are good positions out there

3. Full Time ESL Teachers Needed ASAP in Songjiang district, Shanghai

Description:
1. Starting Date: ASAP
2. Students:3-12 years old
3. Working hours: 20 teaching hours +10 office hours per week.
4. Working times: 4pm to 8pm on the weekday, 9am to 6pm on the weekend(or 11am to 8pm). You are off on Monday and Tuesday.
4. The location of the teaching: Songjiang District, Shanghai near SongjiangXincheng station of line 9
5. The number of students: around 10;
6. One year contract.

Package:
1. Monthly salary: 9,000 to 13,000/m before tax+ housing;
2. Completion bonus:5,000
3. A work visa (Z-visa) will be provided;
4. If you need to apply for work visa in Hongkong, the school will pay for the trip to Hongkong.

Requirements:
1. Bachelor degree or above;
2. native speakers from America, Canada
3. At least 1 year teaching experience;

5. 5-6 on-line teaching jobs in Shanghai downtown for native or non-native teachers without accent (15000/month)

Also need part time teachers on weekday night 6pm to 9pm or weekend.

200/h.
Vacancies: Business Teacher (1); Primary School teachers (2);Business English Teachers (2)
Details:
1.Students: 4-6 years old or adults
2. Period: one year contract;
3. The number of students in a class: on-line class. You will teach to a camera;
4. Working times: 9 to 5 with 15 hours' teaching per week
5. Working days: Monday to Friday

Requirements:
1.Native speakers from US, UK, Canada, Australia, Ireland, New Zealand; Non-native speakers from European countries without accent.
2.Bachelor degree;

Benefits:
1. Salary:15,000/month
2. Airfare: Round-trip airfare at end of contract
3. Housing: no
4. Annual insurance will be purchased for you;
5. A work visa (Z-visa) will be provided for you.

I have been googling about the teaching situations in China and it seems more dicey than Japan.

I have been in contact with recruiters as well, but I am wary. Plus alot of these places are for those after school learning centers.

Off to research some more, hehe.............

I have been googling about the teaching situations in China and it seems more dicey than Japan.

I have been in contact with recruiters as well, but I am wary. Plus alot of these places are for those after school learning centers.

Let me know what you find out!

Japan is obviously "safer" and more comfortable. In japan, companies are held to standards and regulations on how they treat employees. In China... Not so much. If you want to work in China, you have to be smart and look out for your own ass. If a school is taking you for a sap, then ditch em and find a better one. In China you're in high demand so its about getting what YOU want. And anyone who tries to screw you deserves no respect. Remember that.

WoodWERD

^ What he said. Do your research and minimize the risk of getting screwed as a first timer. Once you get here the opportunities basically start falling in your lap.

So despite having taught in China at a few different schools in the past, I've never actually gone the online job board route. Always found my jobs while I was there or through my contacts. I'm in the US now, though, and going back in Summer, and if I could find a good position online before I depart it might be good for me. What are the best websites for this, and which ones are a waste of time?

I'm also open to training/cram schools in Japan and Korea too, so if there's anywhere I should be looking/posting my resume for that, any suggestions are appreciated! But I still lean towards China for that low cost of living and the awesome food and travel factor
and the b

Anyone know anything about Longman Schools in Beijing? I got a reply from them, and the job sounds decent.

Z8jWptk.png

caesar

Banned
Anyone know anything about Longman Schools in Beijing? I got a reply from them, and the job sounds decent.

Z8jWptk.png

'Two days off per week' sounds dodgy. Clarify that.

10 days leave seems low aswell.

Don't know enough about China to say anything about the wage.

sohois

Z8jWptk.png

Give them a google. You'll tend to find something on pretty much any school. Here's a few results I found in the first few pages of a search:

http://forums.eslcafe.com/job/viewtopic.php?t=88002
http://www.shanghaiexpat.com/phpbbforum/disney-english-vs-longman-schools-t131401.html
http://www.glassdoor.com/Reviews/Lo...i-Reviews-EI_IE573471.0,15_IL.16,24_IM999.htm
http://www.esl-jobs-forum.com/viewtopic.php?t=5249

Seems like they should be decent

Yes, it does look good. Thanks for the help, guys.

And yeah, about the contract. I had another company send me their agreement and it was a disaster. As an attorney, I was never going to sign that thing. Would they let me rewrite/correct/negotiate on it?

WoodWERD

What was wrong with it? They're definitely a lot of gibberish but as long as the key factors -- salary, work hours, etc. -- line up then I wouldn't be too worried. Yes, contracts can be negotiated but realize it's a fine line between making too many requests and getting dropped for someone who appears to be less of a hassle.

Big-E

Is that before or after tax? Clarify that. Should also clarify when you will be getting paid as pay can be late in China. 10 days off a year sounds a little low given the country shuts down for what seems like 3 weeks in the winter.

What was wrong with it? They're definitely a lot of gibberish but as long as the key factors -- salary, work hours, etc. -- line up then I wouldn't be too worried. Yes, contracts can be negotiated but realize it's a fine line between making too many requests and getting dropped for someone who appears to be less of a hassle.

It was full of spelling errors and other odd issues. Mostly technical-type stuff. Hard to get past.

Thanks for the things to watch out for. I will definitely be asking questions.

WoodWERD

I'd be curious to hear more from you vets about searching for housing in the big cities like Beijing and Shanghai (other cities too). What's your rent? How big is the place? Roommates or solo? How near are your offices? How much was the deposit, utilities, etc.? Seems daunting unless you speak Mandarin or have a good Chinese friend to help you out, but I haven't done much research in this area. I plan to keep taking advantage of the free uni housing for now.

It was full of spelling errors and other odd issues. Mostly technical-type stuff. Hard to get past.

Oh man, if you're the type of guy for whom everything has to be just so and stuff like that gets under your skin, then you're gonna have a fun time in China. Lets just say things around you might not feel exactly how you've lived your whole life assuming things are supposed to feel.

EDIT: To clarify, I've seen too many foreigners come to China and not last very long because they couldn't stop complaining about how people didn't practice western etiquette and everything didn't match up to the western standards they were used to. It's usually the people who get uptight and easily bothered by small details in life. The people who "make it" in China tend to be really laid-back and go with the flow. Not saying you are one sort of person or another, just giving you fair warning so you can find what country is the right fit for you.

Oh man, if you're the type of guy for whom everything has to be just so and stuff like that gets under your skin, then you're gonna have a fun time in China. Lets just say things around you might not feel exactly how you've lived your whole life assuming things are supposed to feel.

I got a job offer to teach at a university in China today and it's absolutely rife with spelling errors. Doesn't really bother me personally, because that's kind of why they need me, isn't it? But I can see how it would put people off from a legal perspective.

Last year, my friend was 90% done with sealing a job to go teach in Asia when the company sprung on him that they would need him to lie about how much they paid him on his taxes—I'm more concerned about things like that.

I got a job offer to teach at a university in China today and it's absolutely rife with spelling errors. Doesn't really bother me personally, because that's kind of why they need me, isn't it? But I can see how it would put people off from a legal perspective.

Last year, my friend was 90% done with sealing a job to go teach in Asia when the company sprung on him that they would need him to lie about how much they paid him on his taxes—I'm more concerned about things like that.

I'm just saying that in most of the west, our business culture is very much about making everything flawless and presentable. In China, the attitude is more "let's get the job done and make money." People do care about presentation and "face" a lot in China, but the aspects they usually care about are a bit different than many foreigners might be used to.

Also, as a general rule, in China a contract is only worth as much as the amount of powerful connections you have. What's actually written on the paper doesn't mean a whole lot.

Scarecrow

The Chinese recruiter I'm talking with has mentioned I should get TESOL qualified to increase my chances of getting hired. I've researched the certification and most I'm finding seem like they take at minimum 6 months to complete. But, this recruiter has pointed out there should be faster certs out there. Like, ones that can be completed in a few weeks. Can anyone point me in the direction of an online course that can be finished that fast? Or, does this sound a bit sketchy?

If a recruiter asks for scans of your passport or visa, that is usually a bad sign, correct?

A few have asked for that. I do not have a visa yet. None have asked me to come without a visa, they all want the visa situation taken care of before you come (I guess that is a good sign). I am probably not gonna try to sign up with these people though.

I am been on these sites trying to find out if who I am dealing with is a scam or not.

http://www.eslteachersboard.com/cgi-bin/review/index.pl

I have been using this site as well.
http://www.chinaforeignteachersunion.org/

Necrovex

The Chinese recruiter I'm talking with has mentioned I should get TESOL qualified to increase my chances of getting hired. I've researched the certification and most I'm finding seem like they take at minimum 6 months to complete. But, this recruiter has pointed out there should be faster certs out there. Like, ones that can be completed in a few weeks. Can anyone point me in the direction of an online course that can be finished that fast? Or, does this sound a bit sketchy?

A gaffer and I were talking about this very topic a page or two back.

Here's the useful post.

WoodWERD

If a recruiter asks for scans of your passport or visa, that is usually a bad sign, correct?

A few have asked for that. I do not have a visa yet. None have asked me to come without a visa, they all want the visa situation taken care of before you come (I guess that is a good sign). I am probably not gonna try to sign up with these people though.

I am been on these sites trying to find out if who I am dealing with is a scam or not.

http://www.eslteachersboard.com/cgi-bin/review/index.pl

I have been using this site as well.
http://www..org/

There's nothing wrong with sending a scan, just obscure the passport number before you do. They're just wanting to make sure you're a native speaker and so forth. I checked out that eslteacherboard site yesterday and it looks like a bunch of BS in the name of the CTFU, typo intentional. This supposed "private union" in China (anyone see the problem there?) makes all sorts of claims and spams the big ESL boards. He/she is an alleged scammer and was ridiculed/banned off the Dave's ESL forums not too long ago. Do a search of the China Job forum and you'll see what I mean. While they do put out some generally useful information, they also spread a ton of FUD about ESL in China.

Edit: Here's an example of one of their troll threads http://forums.eslcafe.com/job/viewtopic.php?t=103895&highlight=cftu

ZackieChan:
Did they fix the contract for you or how did that work out?

Thanks for the info WoodWERD.

Didn't bother with them. Looking into something else.

I had an initial phone call with Interac a few weeks ago, but no word on a phone interview since. When do they usually start that process?

Hey, guys. I've been offered a teaching job in Thailand and wondered if anyone here has experience with working and living in Thailand to teach English? The job offered is a government run school and won't go through an agency, so that's a plus.

The job salary for starting teachers is about 30.000 - 35.000 Thai Baht, which translates to ~ £600. Now I know Thailand is cheap living, my living arrangements will cost £80 per month in a pretty good setup. Has anyone else lived off a similar wage in Thailand and knows if I'll be able to realistically save money on this wage? As my prime reason for taking it would be to gain experience and save some money. I guess I'm curious whether or not it'd be easier to save in Thailand as opposed to getting a higher paid job in the UK that probably won't be as interesting. Maybe it comes down to lifestyle perhaps?

Any other insight and information from anyone would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

I had an initial phone call with Interac a few weeks ago, but no word on a phone interview since. When do they usually start that process?

I had a friend apply for Interac immediately after finding out he didn't make the interview cut for JET--that was in mid-January, I think? Anyway, I was amazed at how quickly they moved him through (compared to JET). He had a phone interview within a week of his application and an in-person interview around a month after his initial application. Currently waiting for the final word.

Cake Boss

Banned
I am interested in this but unfortunately I went back to school for another year, any summer internship programs that you could do for a couple of months to test the water?

I am interested in this but unfortunately I went back to school for another year, any summer internship programs that you could do for a couple of months to test the water?

I've no idea where you are, but probably. A few of the local churches here do English teaching missions during regular school breaks (winter, summer). December-January this year there was one in Mexico and in Thailand that I personally know of. I dunno how you'd feel about doing such a thing under a religious organization, but it's a way to get experience. If you just want basic ESL instruction experience, domestically, you could inquire at your university. That's where I got started: volunteering to work with foreign exchange students and older immigrants (mostly small business owners) as an English partner/tutor. It probably seems more official and impressive on a resume if you do it under the sanction of a university, if that's a concern.

Edit: My university also does regular summer EFL certification internships in Spain and Czech Republic, but you have to pay for the trip. You could look into that as well at the linguistics/ESL department.

I got offered a contract for a kindergarten outside of Beijing. Same thing with the contract with the spelling and what not.

Weird thing is, they say they will provide me the apartment, but I would have to pay the utilities. I have to clarify and with them all the that stuff.

Not sure if I will go with them though yet.

WoodWERD

Hey, guys. I've been offered a teaching job in Thailand and wondered if anyone here has experience with working and living in Thailand to teach English? The job offered is a government run school and won't go through an agency, so that's a plus.

Where in Thailand? I haven't lived there, but your money will probably last longer outside of Bangkok...lifestyle is definitely a big factor. If you don't drink and like cooking at home you can probably save a decent amount. AFAIK Thailand is one of the lower paying Asian countries for the EFL market. I loved my travels there though.

Weird thing is, they say they will provide me the apartment, but I would have to pay the utilities. I have to clarify and with them all the that stuff.

Not uncommon...you'd probably want to ask a current teacher how much they pay each month. I have a friend teaching little kids in Beijing, she seems to love it.

Where in Thailand? I haven't lived there, but your money will probably last longer outside of Bangkok...lifestyle is definitely a big factor. If you don't drink and like cooking at home you can probably save a decent amount. AFAIK Thailand is one of the lower paying Asian countries for the EFL market. I loved my travels there though.

I'll be based in Ratchaburi so it'll be about 1.5 hours outside of Bangkok! To be honest it seems like a really great location and the accommodation seems to be in a pretty good area too. From what I've read and been told, it's a really cheap area. Glad you enjoyed your travels there, the offer seems really tempting.

The pay is definitely low-ish, and taking it would be more for the experience and change of lifestyle. Still, it's a toss up on if I can save more in Thailand than I can in the UK on a higher paid job. I've got a lot of thinking to do.

I'll be based in Ratchaburi so it'll be about 1.5 hours outside of Bangkok! To be honest it seems like a really great location and the accommodation seems to be in a pretty good area too. From what I've read and been told, it's a really cheap area. Glad you enjoyed your travels there, the offer seems really tempting.

The pay is definitely low-ish, and taking it would be more for the experience and change of lifestyle. Still, it's a toss up on if I can save more in Thailand than I can in the UK on a higher paid job. I've got a lot of thinking to do.

I have lived in Bangkok for the last few months, and you don't really need a huge salary to do it. You can live there for about $1,200 or so a month if you're smart. My studio apartment is $180 a month, and you can get some for even less. Lots of cheap food.

I'm in Singapore for a week now, and it is unbelievably expensive. I can't wait to be back in sweet, sweet BKK.

Neo C.

I'm in the process of applying to the JET programme. Lots of paper work though, they want me to send everything with two additional copies. >.<

Just got notice that I'll be heading to Japan with the JET program this morning. (Oops, actually it was yesterday. I should check that e-mail more often.)

I'm stoked. My preferred locations were in Hokkaido, Niigata, and Sendai, so hopefully I'll get sent up around there.

Aizo

Banned
Just got notice that I'll be heading to Japan with the JET program this morning. (Oops, actually it was yesterday. I should check that e-mail more often.)

I'm stoked. My preferred locations were in Hokkaido, Niigata, and Sendai, so hopefully I'll get sent up around there.

Let us know where you end up! Congrats!!

lupinko

MADE IT! GOING TO JAPAN WITH JET!

Congrats to both of you!

Now remember to bring inside shoes and just remember that centralized heating doesn't exist in Japan.

Also squat toilets in schools and you have to separate your garbage from plastics and combustibles.

Guru-Guru

Banned

MADE IT! GOING TO JAPAN WITH JET!
Congrats to both of you guys! JET is amazing and I am sure you will enjoy it. I remember how excited I was last year after I got accepted and was waiting for my placement info. Don't be disappointed if you have never heard of your placement and it is in the middle of nowhere; sometimes those placements end up being the best, especially if you want to really immersive and involve yourself in the community. Anyhow, post your placement info when you get it! Who knows, you might be near some other people from GAF!

Congrats to both of you guys! JET is amazing and I am sure you will enjoy it. I remember how excited I was last year after I got accepted and was waiting for my placement info. Don't be disappointed if you have never heard of your placement and it is in the middle of nowhere; sometimes those placements end up being the best, especially if you want to really immersive and involve yourself in the community. Anyhow, post your placement info when you get it! Who knows, you might be near some other people from GAF!

My preferred choices were Otaru-shi in Hokkaido, Joetsu-shi in Niigata, and Osaki-shi in Miyagi. Each has a population of around 100,000 people and I had to explain to the Japanese interviewer where Otaru even was. He could've just been leading me to find out how much I researched it, but he seemed pretty surprised by the name.

I really have no interest in going to the larger cities, honestly. I have a degree in linguistics as well as Japanese; I love learning about languages and I'm hoping for that immersion so that I can understand and analyze it better and maybe put together some research articles in my spare time, though I don't expect to have much. Niigata and Miyagi of course have distinct dialects, Niigata-ben and Tohoku-ben respectively, which I'm dying to experience. Hokkaido uses mostly just standard Japanese, though the name Otaru is actually Ainu in origin, but it's too beautiful to pass up if I have the opportunity.

Alternate reason for choosing only places in the north: Fuck hot weather. I've lived in Tennessee all of my life and I'm over it.

Edit: I've already spent around $160 in mailing off IRS and FBI forms. There better not be any complications for how much coin they want to confirm that I am indeed an American citizen.

morch

failed to get into Jet this year after interview, found out today via post sent on 4th April (UK gaffer)

I have a job and stuff in a school here still so that's cool but since I want to either improve my intermediate japanese, or beginners mandarin, it's now time to get myself the TEFL paperwork just to aid the non japan visa applications

Neo C.

JET applicant here, I can go to the interview next week, but the chance is rather slim (four applicants for one position). I'll do whatever I can, but I'm also preparing myself for the rejection. Life is tough.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom