• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Fortress 2 Official PC Thread. SO. WORTH. IT.

Status
Not open for further replies.

pxleyes

Banned
Joe Molotov said:
You're an angry young man, aren't you? :lol

Most people only preordered the game (and had to pay the entire $45 up front) this early so they could get the TF2 Beta.

Angry? No. I'm dumbfounded. As has been said multiple times, Valve is on the Pacific Coast and does thing on that time clock. The fact people are bitching about something that has been established for years is just crazy.

I don't know why people are turning it into an issue of "I don't get to play my beta." Yes you do, just not when you thought you would get to.

BeeDog

Soooo, when's this being released for us Swedes? I barely have a clue about other countries' irrelevant time zones :p, so need help with this (we have GMT +1).

saelz8

Defcon said:
So pumped after reading that Eurogamer review.
Same.

Eurogamer said:
The game also does a lovely job of framing your relationship with other players and nurturing them. If someone is dominating you, the game says so, and revenge is sweeter. The scoring system, of course, helps reflect this - if someone is dominating you, they get more points for continuing to do so. Valve also includes a range of Achievements (which we witnessed on both PC and 360), that - rather like celebrated Geometry Wars 360 achievement "Pacifism" - push you in the direction of new ideas as much as they celebrate or laugh along with your accomplishments.
The revenge system is going to be so badass.

Quellex - is there any chance we can do a gamertag listing for the 360 associated with your thread? We wouldn't need to deal with it for another few weeks, but it'd be nice to have a place where GAFers can find people to play with on XBL. Not sure if it'd be best to do it here or maybe in the Online forum and then just link it in the OP. Any thoughts?

In any case - thanks for starting the thread and great job w/ the OP.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
7AM on tuesday in aus and still not released. This is crazy valve!

I checked at least 3 times durring the night. Yay for an annoying cat. The day / night is still young i guess.

saelz8

Cornballer said:
Quellex - is there any chance we can do a gamertag listing for the 360 associated with your thread? We wouldn't need to deal with it for another few weeks, but it'd be nice to have a place where GAFers can find people to play with on XBL. Not sure if it'd be best to do it here or maybe in the Online forum and then just link it in the OP. Any thoughts?

In any case - thanks for starting the thread and great job w/ the OP.
Of course, it's a 360 game too! After a thread is made for TF2 360 player gamertags, I'll link to it from this thread. Same applies for PSN names.

(PC players use the Steam Community thread for such)

Teknopathetic said:
Valve does everything Steam-wise by Pacific time. They always have and likely always will. If for some reason you thought they would stop for a split second you're out of your gourd.

My issue has nothing to do with Valve doing things pacific time, it has everything to do with not fulfilling their end of the agreement. If they had said "17th of September PST time" then i would have no problem. That is all i am saying.
They could release it at 1pm pacific time and it would still fulfill what they end of the deal. How are people failing to grasp this?

Joe Molotov said:
Most people only preordered the game (and had to pay the entire $45 up front) this early so they could get the TF2 Beta. If Valve didn't want people getting antsy, then they should have just said the TF2 Beta was releasing at 6pm PST or whenever. There's no reason they should keep the time a secret.
Exactly. All that i am asking for is for press releases to be accurate to every market. It is about time that Valve realise that a good proportion of their market runs on a different time. This needs to be acknowledged. I am all for internet distribution but there are some things that need to be improved for it to be wholly welcomed and adopted. Recognition of time differences is one of them.

pxleyes said:
Angry? No. I'm dumbfounded. As has been said multiple times, Valve is on the Pacific Coast and does thing on that time clock. The fact people are bitching about something that has been established for years is just crazy.

I don't know why people are turning it into an issue of "I don't get to play my beta." Yes you do, just not when you thought you would get to.
Are you really this ignorant or are you doing it on purpose?
It has NOTHING to do with Valve working on pacific time.
They could be working on their own metric time for all i care, so long as they take this in to account when making announcements over Steam.
If e-distribution such as Steam does not stop thinking so laterally then it will cause major growing pains. it is simple as that.
No one here is turning it in to an issue of "i don't get to play my beta" except for you. I know i will get to play it, but Valve said it would be on the 17th. If it is released at 6pm PST then it won't be on the 17th, therefore Valve have misinformed me. That is legal grounds for a refund. They have sold a product with a false description. False is false is false. Regardless of if it was intentional or not.

Quellex.... how are you playing this? You jammy git! Press account or something?

Quellex said:
Of course, it's a 360 game too! After a thread is made for TF2 360 player gamertags, I'll link to it from this thread. Same applies for PSN names.
Cool, thanks! I'll try to remember and put something together next month when the game releases.

lockload

Quellex said:
Yes, they do. PC version has the same achievements. Check out the OP for a list.

Not really clear in the original post, in my view im pretty sure this game is not windows live enabled which is needed for xbox live achievements ie on my gamertag along with my 360 achievements

Slacker

lockload said:
Not really clear in the original post, in my view im pretty sure this game is not windows live enabled which is needed for xbox live achievements ie on my gamertag along with my 360 achievements
It's a pretty safe bet that the PC version is going to have Steam Community achievements, not Xbox Live achievements.

saelz8

Kamakazie! said:
Quellex.... how are you playing this? You jammy git! Press account or something?
Shit, I wish I was playing. This is my Halo 3/Mario Galaxy :lol.

lockload said:
Doent make it clear in my view im pretty sure this game is not windows live enabled which is needed for xbox live achievements ie on my gamertag
Valve created their own achievement system that works with Steam Community, but the actual achievements are the same. Same meaning you have to do the same things to get an achievement, Ex: Flamethrower - Set five enemies on fire in 30 seconds.

Quellex said:
Shit, I wish I was playing. This is my Halo 3/Mario Galaxy :lol.

Valve created their own achievement system that works with Steam Community, but the actual achievements are the same. Same meaning you have to do the same things to get an achievement, Ex: Flamethrower - Set five enemies on fire in 30 seconds.

Ah ok, not so jammy then :) The Orange Box is my most anticipated game too. Mario Galaxy is a close second mind.... especially now that i actually have a Wii to play it on!

Yeah, i am looking forward to the stats/achievement side of Steam. I didn't know that TF2/TOB was gonna include them until recently... i though left4Dead was going to be the first game to use them. Maybe it was until it got pushed back?!
I've not anticipated a release like this ever i don't think. Not even HL2.

Eurogamer said:
Visually there are all sorts of effects to enjoy. As the Heavy builds up killing momentum, his grin broadens until he's laughing maniacally.
So so so good!

Mugwum said:
"Any news on when the Beta is going to be activated?"

It's supposed to be *now*. That's why we had to hold off the review.
So close I can almost feel it!!

StephaneC

i'm the best CS Source player on GAF :D (i'm Zangalou)

nuke 9/3 (first map)
piranesi 21/4
assault 17/5
dust2 (tero) 24/7

127313383120070918010247.jpg

Gnar Kill

pxleyes said:

your avatar is pure awesome.

The worst part is no one is playing TFC to kill time, the servers are all full of bots. I even got yelled at on one server to join a team of humans against bots.

ggnoobIGN

Banned
Illuminati said:
The worst part is no one is playing TFC to kill time, the servers are all full of bots. I even got yelled at on one server to join a team of humans against bots.
Just filter out bot servers. There's plenty of them.

I'm playing TNG 24/7 Dustbowl right now

StephaneC said:
i'm the best CS Source player on GAF :D (i'm Zangalou)

nuke 9/3 (first map)
piranesi 21/4
assault 17/5
dust2 (tero) 24/7

http://www.enregistrersous.com/images/127313383120070918010247.jpg[.IMG][/QUOTE]

I'm the worst ;_;

lexi

Banned
'Each character also has a range of taunts - one per weapon. The Medic plays his bonesaw like a violin.'

:lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom