• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Fortress 2 PC: GAF Tournament of Victory

Crushed

Fry Daddy
Won won oh god won you already disguised yourself as me won and now you're running down this tunnel again jesus christ won

you know what won i'm just going to let you think i don't notice you now i'm just gonna follow you for a while okay you saw me and you're freaking out bye bye won sizzle

yeb said:
Sorry, please take me off the list to make room for someone else. Between VF5 online being patched recently and getting Mass Effect tomorrow, I just don't see myself playing much TF2 for a while.
Uuugh damnit yeb. You've just ruined my demoman offensive strategy :(.

Please find out if the following wish to participate

hitokage
richardfun
wartime
tekno
robotaholic
quellex
kak the cheater
warcock

"Please find out if the following wish to participate

hitokage
richardfun
wartime
tekno
robotaholic
quellex
kak the cheater
warcock"

If by tekno you mean teknopathetic he said on the other page he wouldn't mind crits if everyone else wants them so I'm assuming he's in.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
I won't be available mon-thu until 11:30pm eastern or so, but friday evening and sat/sun evening and night are ok with me for the time being.

If that's not a problem, I'm in.

"I won't be available mon-thu until 11:30pm eastern or so, but friday evening and sat/sun evening and night are ok with me for the time being.

If that's not a problem, I'm in."

Wow, me and you are in the same boat and so far it seems like it's going to be weekends or so I hope.

Javaman

omgimaninja said:
Icy, it looks like matches will be 10v10.

Can you turn off "kick spectators" so up to 4 spectators can watch the matches?

10 players might be a little tough to do consistently unless we get more backup players. I'd imagine there would be some occasional holes in the teams if we max out the active players. Is there any way to record demos of the game? Is this just a video or does it track the player and weapon movements? thx.

All the teams look awesome.

Especially mine.

I hope I can keep up with all the super stars throwing down in this thing.

Thursday/Fridays are fine for me. The weekends too.

I don't mind playing with crits for the sake of not rocking the boat.

Same here. I also don't really trust the crit mod.

n0b

I guess another thing we need to plan is how we do refereeing/match disputes. (I would hope we wouldn't need them, but you never know) Should we just have representatives of the other teams watch and ref the match from spec, should we require demos, or something else?

fallengorn

Bitches love smiley faces
Just to lay my schedule down: I good except for friday nights and most of the day on Sunday (although nights are good). Hope that's all and good.

I dont believe Kak is a gaffer, so someone will have to ask him via Steam.

Weekends may be a problem for me, because I work in the morning, and wont be home till after 2pm. Its the time difference between Australia and the States is what could present the problem for me.

yeb

Java: admit it, you wish Alltalk was always on so people could scream and curse at you too. :D

Also, PillowKnight and Con Man are making me feel bad. :(

A little warning, though. Having seen another forum (my clan's) try to set up something very similar, you shouldn't expect every player to show up for every match. Something's always going to come up for someone, and the more players you try to have per team, the more likely it is to happen to multiple people. You should be prepared for having 8v8 matches or whatever as necessary. Just set a time and play at it with as many people as you can while keeping the teams balanced; you probably won't get a single game started if you wait around for all 20 people + a ref.

Javaman

The Storyteller said:
I dont believe Kak is a gaffer, so someone will have to ask him via Steam.

Weekends may be a problem for me, because I work in the morning, and wont be home till after 2pm. Its the time difference between Australia and the States is what could present the problem for me.

Yeah, he's not a Gaffer, but I passed him yours and Puyo's steam names and linked him to this thread.

Firestorm

yeb said:
Java: admit it, you wish Alltalk was always on so people could scream and curse at you too. :D

Also, PillowKnight and Con Man are making me feel bad. :(

A little warning, though. Having seen another forum (my clan's) try to set up something very similar, you shouldn't expect every player to show up for every match. Something's always going to come up for someone, and the more players you try to have per team, the more likely it is to happen to multiple people. You should be prepared for having 8v8 matches or whatever as necessary. Just set a time and play at it with as many people as you can while keeping the teams balanced; you probably won't get a single game started if you wait around for all 20 people + a ref.

Yeah but when has LL ever got a tournament off the ground, even 1v1? =/

Won

Don't underestimate the time difference. 8pm eastern time in the evening is already 2am in the morning for us europeans.

Also I am not going to play spy outside the chaotic public enviornment.
REALLY! I'M NOT THE DEMOMAN BEHIND YOU JAVA!

yeb

Firestorm said:
Yeah but when has LL ever got a tournament off the ground, even 1v1? =/

:lol I think I remember some arguing over one of the better players coming in as a last-minute replacement, so I think there was at least one match that got underway. The entire thing seemed kinda chaotic from the start though, and GAF's more organized by default. I hope this goes more smoothly for you all.

1-D_FTW

My money is on Team Icy, too. I guess I'm in at least until I hear more details. But we should be named Team Rust. I haven't seen Hitokage or RichardFun on in quite a while (probably because I'm rarely on.)

EDIT: A couple questions: I assume scrimmages are gonna consist of gaf team vs gaf team? And we're only playing official maps, right? I'm not even gonna bother if we're playing maps I've never played and have to spend the entire time running around trying to find the right direction to run.

Javaman said:
Yeah, he's not a Gaffer, but I passed him yours and Puyo's steam names and linked him to this thread.

You can't read this thread unless you're a member. Try going into the online forum if you log out, it'll tell you you can't access it and to log in.

Icy

Banned
1-D_FTW said:
My money is on Team Icy, too. I guess I'm in at least until I hear more details. But we should be named Team Rust. I haven't seen Hitokage or RichardFun on in quite a while (probably because I'm rarely on.)

EDIT: A couple questions: I assume scrimmages are gonna consist of gaf team vs gaf team? And we're only playing official maps, right? I'm not even gonna bother if we're playing maps I've never played and have to spend the entire time running around trying to find the right direction to run.

You can't read this thread unless you're a member. Try going into the online forum if you log out, it'll tell you you can't access it and to log in.

Team Icy FTW

nv4d9u.jpg

Davidion

Here are my preliminary recommendations for maps. It's nothing special, but I thought it'd be helpful to isolate the maps by types and take the best of each category. Puyo, I'm not sure if you want to change maps for the final round or keep the same cycle throughout.

Map recs:

1x three-point defense map
Recommended: Gravel Pit
alt: Wolf (can't think of anything else)

2x five-point push map
Recommended: Warpath and one of the following:
Granary
Well

1x CTF
Recommended: 2fort
alt: Mach (It was on the server at one point, much simpler and cleaner alt to 2fort)

1x three-part 2 point defense map
Recommended: Dustbowl
alt: Castle

Total of five maps for each cycle.

Cheeto

Gravelpit and 2fort should be givens...Maybe some dustbowl, but I think we should definitely stay away from customs.

Jacobi

Banned
So I've seen the events of "Thursday Scrimmage" and "Friday Scrimmage" already, but are they displayed in the correct time zone for everyone? If so, that would be a tad bit too late for me... At least if we're playing more than 1 map.

As for the class: I'd really like to play the engineer, suits my ping rate also pretty well...
It's a shame Valve didn't include some sort of group communication other than chat

Jacobi said:
So I've seen the events of "Thursday Scrimmage" and "Friday Scrimmage" already, but are they displayed in the correct time zone for everyone? If so, that would be a tad bit too late for me... At least if we're playing more than 1 map.

As for the class: I'd really like to play the engineer, suits my ping rate also pretty well...
It's a shame Valve didn't include some sort of group communication other than chat
I just setup the default time for the events. Let's get all the Companion Cubes to decide on a time we can meet to hold a scrimmage. Or you can PM with times that work for you.

Engi will work great.

Davidion

WhatRuOn said:
Gravelpit and 2fort should be givens...Maybe some dustbowl, but I think we should definitely stay away from customs.

Whatever works. I figure a map like Castle wouldn't be objected to since it's so ubiquitous on the server but if stock is better, then stock it is.

Jacobi said:

Maybe anyone who's not on standard US times should explicitly list their time zone. This should help everyone note any major time constraints. I know some people already expressed their limitations but we should have them on record so people aren't left out.

Firestorm

I don't think 2fort would win. I like the idea that was thrown around about cp_warpath being the final map due to epicness :D

These are really nice teams. I'm glad I got Java on my team, won't have to worry about his sentries, but damnit, Won is going to annoy the living hell out of me :lol

1-D_FTW

Firestorm said:
I don't think 2fort would win. I like the idea that was thrown around about cp_warpath being the final map due to epicness :D

Dustbowl and Gravel Pit should be no brainers. Even 2Fort is pretty good since there's no way there's gonna be full teams. It'll probably end up being 6v6 or 8v8 if really lucky. And as long as the score needed isn't too high, it'd actually be fun with limited players.

I think standard maps would be a truer sense of skill since everybody knows the maps and there's not gonna to be any strategic advantages of some people knowing every nook and cranny and some not.

I also put a vote in that we have some sane scoring mechanism. Do we really need a ton of maps with high score counts that take 5 hours to complete? I vote for a format that can be done in 2 hours or so. Less is more.

One more thing, I'd really like to stress the time difference, and ask you to consider it in the planning of this tournament. Especially the training matches during the week. I am going to be starting work again soon, so a training round at 2am would be a bad idea. And I assume we'll be doing the actual tournament in the weekend?

Firestorm

I thought everybody here knew warpath =( It's a very balanced map imo. Very good back and forth, always feels like how granary and well were supposed to be. You can lose the middle point and actually gain it back in this one!

Dustbowl is a no-brainer as it's most people's favourites. Each team plays defense and offense once and adds up the score? Is that how it usually works? Someone who follows competitive tf2 chip in.

trh

Nifty AND saffron-colored!
I'm in GMT+1

As it's looking right now team BLU might need some demomen and scouts, we're very low on both. Also who is wartime? I've never seen him and he's barely ever played on the GAF server, and he's in our team :p

And my preferred map rotation:
Gravelpit, two or four rounds (a round being offense once and defense once), if there's a draw an extra round will be played and the winner is decided by who gets the lowest time on the clock
Well*, first to two
2Fort*, first to two
Granary, first to two
Dustbowl, two rounds, Gravelpit rules

*Gets cut in case people don't want to play 5 maps

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
I say one of the maps should be Horus.
yesssssss, great idea!

Firestorm said:
Someone who follows competitive tf2 chip in.
I don't think they play Dustbowl in competetive play... never seen it at least.

Top Bottom