• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Fortress 2 PC: GAF Tournament of Victory

1-D_FTW

Firestorm said:
I thought everybody here knew warpath =( It's a very balanced map imo. Very good back and forth, always feels like how granary and well were supposed to be. You can lose the middle point and actually gain it back in this one!

Dustbowl is a no-brainer as it's most people's favourites. Each team plays defense and offense once and adds up the score? Is that how it usually works? Someone who follows competitive tf2 chip in.

I agree Warpath is better than Granary and Well. It's just we have a habit of constantly moving the lines and arguing which one was better, so I figured maybe being a hardass wasn't the worst method to take.

Firestorm said:
I thought everybody here knew warpath =( It's a very balanced map imo. Very good back and forth, always feels like how granary and well were supposed to be. You can lose the middle point and actually gain it back in this one!

Dustbowl is a no-brainer as it's most people's favourites. Each team plays defense and offense once and adds up the score? Is that how it usually works? Someone who follows competitive tf2 chip in.

I like the idea of doing warpath as the map in the final as well. It's a tough map to win, back and forth, etc.

Every time I've seen the map get switched to Horus, every single person leaves within the minute. That should be enough of a vote. :D

"Every time I've seen the map get switched to Horus, every single person leaves within the minute. That should be enough of a vote. :D"

:lol Honestly, I really enjoyed that map though but everyone else did seem to hate it. Still, it's two votes strong right now.

"waaaait a minute, i wasn't being serious, I hate horus :lol"

Bullshit, everyone loves Horus. Besides you can't take back your vote once you voted so...

trh said:
I'm in GMT+1

As it's looking right now team BLU might need some demomen and scouts, we're very low on both. Also who is wartime? I've never seen him and he's barely ever played on the GAF server, and he's in our team :p

And my preferred map rotation:
Gravelpit, two or four rounds (a round being offense once and defense once), if there's a draw an extra round will be played and the winner is decided by who gets the lowest time on the clock
Well*, first to two
2Fort*, first to two
Granary, first to two
Dustbowl, two rounds, Gravelpit rules

*Gets cut in case people don't want to play 5 maps

yesssssss, great idea!

I don't think they play Dustbowl in competetive play... never seen it at least.
Wartime is a great sniper.

My vote goes to all maps except for hydro. Warpath would be nice but I prefer my idea being that the team that gets the most victories gets to pick the map in which the championship match takes place , warpath included.

Cheeto

Firestorm said:
Someone who follows competitive tf2 chip in.
2fort is the most popular, followed closely by Gravel Pit. But all ladders use all standard maps, I have never seen a custom map played competitively.

PillowKnight said:
My vote goes to all maps except for hydro. Warpath would be nice but I prefer my idea being that the team that gets the most victories gets to pick the map in which the championship match takes place , warpath included.
This, and winner pick map is a good plan.

Won

Warpath only with a fixed timer please. A 2 hour epic battle is not a good idea for a tournament with timezone issues.

Jacobi

Banned
I'm also in GMT +1

I can play from 20.00(8 pm)-3.00 (3am)

"1x three-point defense map
Recommended: Gravel Pit
alt: Wolf (can't think of anything else)

2x five-point push map
Recommended: Warpath and one of the following:
Granary
Well

1x CTF
Recommended: 2fort
alt: Mach (It was on the server at one point, much simpler and cleaner alt to 2fort)

1x three-part 2 point defense map
Recommended: Dustbowl
alt: Castle"
1. Yeah, PLZ I love Gravel Pit
Gravel Pit

2. Warpath should be interesting with completely coordinated teams (I hope yall will also use voice chat).
Warpath
Granary

3. I like Mach 3 more
Mach 3

4. No hydro love? I'm OK, with Dustbowl though
Dustbowl

My suggestion :)

Capndrake

I'd like to use a headset (I do have one), but the computer I play TF2 on is in the living room (So talking in English might weird out family members) and the matches might go into the night (So I might wake them up). Whenever I finally buy a PC for my own room I'll definitely use it though.

Updated maps

Idea is to not have the tournament last forever and to play on fan-favorite levels with basic rules.

First round is:

1) Granary (First team to 3 points wins; Add up stage points)

2) Dustbowl (1 Full round of A attacking and defending = 6 stages; Add up stage points)

3) Gravelpit (2 full rounds of A attacking and defending = 4 stages; Add up stage points)

Team with more Stage Points advances.

Sample scenario: Team A wins Granary twice, Team B wins it thrice (A 2pts B 3pts)
Team A wins 4 stages of Dustbowl, Team B wins wins 2 (A 4pts B 2pts)
Team A loses all 4 stages on Gravelpit (A 0pts, B 4 pts)

A = 6pts, B = 9 pts
B moves on

Final round-

1) Map of choice by team with most stage points from first round (no custom maps)

2) Warpath (w/ set timer)

To make things as simple as possible, I hoped to just randomly assign the first round. Single elimination, winners move on.

If Icy keeps the server up longer we can draw up a more thought out tournament, but I just want to run a quick tourney to see how it goes.

1-D_FTW

Good idea. The simpler, the less chance of it completely falling apart (Which is the real favorite to win the tourny IMO.)

SexConker

Banned
bw_bloodletter
Scout / Medic

Thursday and Friday would be fine (Friday!) but I'm west coast, and I get off work at 5, so...
I may not be able to join you guys :(

Just tossing up tentative schedule. I doubt we can find times to fit everybody's schedule, but let's try to find a time where AT LEAST 6 people per team can play.

Scrimmages

Thursday and Friday night (beginning at 7pm US Eastern Time)
Gaf server - password protected to just players

First Round

Saturday (4pm US Eastern Time)

Team A or B to play Team C or D

Sunday (4pm US Eastern Time)

Team A or B to play Team C or D (which ever 2 did not play Saturday)

Icy

Banned
Just so everyone knows now. I will not be in town this weekend.

I'll get with javaMan so he can access the server to make the changes needed.

Davidion

Icy said:

Won doesn't need to speak. All he has to do is walk in to the enemy base and casually stab everyone in the face. The rest of us will just waltz in and cap the points and this is how we'll win.

I'm being entirely serious with this post.

Capndrake

omgimaninja said:
Just tossing up tentative schedule. I doubt we can find times to fit everybody's schedule, but let's try to find a time where AT LEAST 6 people per team can play.

Scrimmages

Thursday and Friday night (beginning at 7pm US Eastern Time)
Gaf server - password protected to just players

First Round

Saturday night (7pm US Eastern Time)

Team A or B to play Team C or D

Sunday Night (7pm US Eastern Time)

Team A or B to play Team C or D (which ever 2 did not play Saturday)

EUR/AUS players: which works better? *early* ~7pm US Eastern or *late* ~10pm US Eastern?
Ouch, could they perhaps be an hour or two (Or preferrably even more) earlier than that (At least the weekend ones, since that's full matches and not practice)? That's 1 AM for me (And Xizk, and Won, and Richardfun, and Jacko, (and cell?) and maybe others).

Jacobi

Banned
That's pretty late for us (1 am), yeah (and Philman I think, even later for KimiSan). I'd be ok with 1-2 hours earlier, too, but even with that time delay we would never be able to do all the 4 rounds I think.

I was gonna post something, but I'll just stick with what CapnDrake and Jacob have just said. That is quite late, would be cool if we could do it a bit earlier, especially the weekend games.

"Just so everyone knows now. I will not be in town this weekend.

I'll get with javaMan so he can access the server to make the changes needed."

Isn't the tourney this weekend? :( Team Icy is already fallling apart...

if Icy cant make the match Sunday, Team iCy can either A) choose another player or B) choose to delay the match to another day next week

Jacobi

Banned
Someone in here with a PC capable of recording on-screen-videos (with FRAPS, etc.)?
Would be kinda funny to watch the matches later on youtube or stage6...

I'll try out today how much power FRAPS costs my PC, but I'm not too faithful

omgimaninja said:
Not good with calculating time zone differences :/

4PM US Eastern Standard Time saturday and sunday work better?
That might actually be bad for me and zero. 2pm would be better...a lot better.

AWB13, Doytch, and Cheeto accept your damn team invites.

Javaman

Icy said:
Just so everyone knows now. I will not be in town this weekend.

I'll get with javaMan so he can access the server to make the changes needed.

WOOT. Hometeam advantage goes to BLU. You may want to have a backup for me though in case real-life gets in my way.

"if Icy cant make the match Sunday, Team iCy can either A) choose another player or B) choose to delay the match to another day next week"

Depending on when a night match during the week would be I don't get home till 9:30-10:00 usually Monday through Thursday.

Javaman

PillowKnight said:
Jman I challenge your crew to a not so friendly practice round. How about weds or thursday 6pm est?
Tomarrow sounds good to me. I'll run it by the cronies and get back to you. How about a THROWDOWN at 8pm?

Javaman said:
Tomarrow sounds good to me. I'll run it by the cronies and get back to you. How about a THROWDOWN at 8pm?
Some of my men are from the far east , don't think they can make it. I guess we could do a 6v6, we'd be about 3-4 men down at 8pm, which is in the AMs for Europeans.

Firestorm

Actually, I could do 3:30. I'll play at school instead of home. Class ends at 3:30, it just takes an hour to get home.

edit: 6:30 est.

Top Bottom