• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tech Support GAF: I cannot access one particular web site

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
The last couple of days I have been experiencing issues with connecting to a website I regularly visit, http://mapyourshow.com/ (same with Secure). This is quite cumbersome as Map Your Show hosts the E3 floor plans which I usually write about as they become available.

Anyhow, I use Google Chrome (Version 56.0.2924.76 (64-bit)) and I get this error message whenever trying to access the site:

This site can’t be reached

mapyourshow.com took too long to respond.
Search mapyourshow on Google
ERR_CONNECTION_TIMED_OUT

What I have done so far to try and resolve this (not in chronological order):

• Checked proxy settings, everything is fine here
  • Flushed DNS
  • Removed unused browser add-ons
  • Released and renewed IP address
  • Uninstalled and reinstalled Chrome
  • Cleared browsing data
  • Checked firewall settings
  • Restored the hosts file to default (System32/drivers/etc)
I have tried connecting with Firefox and Edge as well, but I get the same result there. I am able to connect with Tor Browser however. This I find quite strange, I haven't done anything on the site to warrant an IP block, at most some manual crawling/fuzzing.

Pinging the site gives a 100% packet loss.

I haven't done anything major recently on my system apart from installing VMware Workstation Pro. I tried disabling the network connections for that program, that changed nothing.

Any help with this issue would be greatly appreciated.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
Are you on a VPN? Some sites have taken to blanket blocks on known VPN addresses.
No. I was able to connect to this site fine just a few days ago, and I have changed nothing with my network since then.

weekev

Banned
Rösti;229430546 said:
No. I was able to connect to this site fine just a few days ago, and I have changed nothing with my network since then.
Check with the domain hosts that they haven't banned a range of IPs belonging to your ISP. If it's just one site I'd say this would be the most likely explanation.
Edit also Run a trace route to the site from a command prompt and see if the dns is resolving.

The first thing you'll want to see is if you can reach the page without DNS. Try checking if http://52.202.4.97/ does give you access to the page. If it does, perhaps change your DNS settings to something other than your ISP's. I personally like adding Google's (8.8.8.8) because it resolves names pretty fast, and it's easy to remember.

-Edit-

I guess I should specify that it works just fine for me.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
The first thing you'll want to see is if you can reach the page without DNS. Try checking if http://52.202.4.97/ does give you access to the page. If it does, perhaps change your DNS settings to something other than your ISP's. I personally like adding Google's (8.8.8.8) because it resolves names pretty fast, and it's easy to remember.

-Edit-

I guess I should specify that it works just fine for me.
No luck with that either. I'll contact my ISP if I can't get this fixed before long. Thanks anyway.

Alavard

What about another device on your network - same result?

I think it's coming down to one of two things - either your ISP is blocking you from reaching the site, or the site is blocking you from reaching it. As a few others have said, I think your next step is contacting your ISP to see if they're doing the blocking, or if they can see if other addresses in their network can reach the site.

ekim

Rösti;229430992 said:
No luck with that either. I'll contact my ISP if I can't get this fixed before long. Thanks anyway.

Maybe you got blacklisted on their end for too much traffic? Are you running automatic requests on there?

edit: forget it.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
Maybe you got blacklisted on their end for too much traffic? Are you running automatic requests on there?
No, only manual requests and in no greater amounts. I have a few bookmarks I check every day.

ekim

Rösti;229431314 said:
Swedish firm called AllTele Privat AB.

ah ok. Never heard of them. Maybe someone with the same provider can check the page? Anyone of your family or friends maybe?

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
ah ok. Never heard of them. Maybe someone with the same provider can check the page? Anyone of your family or friends maybe?
I have now been in contact with my ISP. Several technicians there had no issues accessing the site. So it appears to be on my side entirely.

M3d10n

OP, did you try accessing the site/IP using another device, like a phone, tablet, different computer/laptop or even videogame console?

That's the first thing you should to confirm it's a PC issue or a ISP (or router) issue.

Rösti;229432058 said:
I have now been in contact with my ISP. Several technicians there had no issues accessing the site. So it appears to be on my side entirely.

I didn't see this listed, apologies if you tried this already, but have you tried specifying a public DNS server (like google) and using that instead of your ISP's DNS server?

Reset your modem or router. Might not fix the issue but it is worth a try. Doing that has fixed loads of random issues i have come across for no apparent reason.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
Does your ISP give you a static outside facing IP address?

Can you verify if it is on any popular blacklist?

http://whatismyipaddress.com/blacklist-check
I am actually blacklisted via l2.apews.org. But not on anything else.

lilojigsaw said:
Reset your modem or router. Might not fix the issue but it is worth a try. Doing that has fixed loads of random issues i have come across for no apparent reason.
Resetting did nothing.

M3d10n said:
OP, did you try accessing the site/IP using another device, like a phone, tablet, different computer/laptop or even videogame console?

That's the first thing you should to confirm it's a PC issue or a ISP (or router) issue.
I have not tested accessing the site using another device yet. But I will try on my Wii U.

Update: Connecting to mapyourshow.com using my Wii U worked fine, I experienced no issues.

Rösti;229568082 said:
I am actually blacklisted via l2.apews.org. But not on anything else.

I have not tested accessing the site using another device yet. But I will try on my Wii U.

Update: Connecting to mapyourshow.com using my Wii U worked fine, I experienced no issues.
I wouldn't worry about l2.apews.org. I'm blocked there too apparently.

If you were crawling and fuzzing this server, you might have been flagged as suspicious. If they blacklisted you on their end, your only recourse will be to either contact them and talk it out, or connect to them via a different public IP from now on.

-edit-
Actually, if your WiiU works, then your modem's IP doesn't seem blocked. Peculiar. Try doing a tracert like some people suggested earlier, and check at what stage the connection stops.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
Update: Today, February 04, I can access the site fine again, at least via Chrome. Ping/tracert still returns error messages.

I have done no changes in particular apart from removing a corrupt install of Malwarebytes (this was yesterday though and the issues persisted afterwards).

Anyhow, thanks to everyone that provided help on this. Should this issue arrise again I will know what to look for.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom