• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tech Support GAF Thread: No Case Too Big, No Case Too Small

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
I have a radon 4890 video card that has no drivers for windows 8 , which means OpenGL stuff doesn't run on the generic windows driver. Anyone had this problem?

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
The "generic" Windows 8 driver is still a normal AMD Catalyst, OpenGL isn't a problem with them. But here are the new legacy Win8 drivers from AMD, including the CCC: http://support.amd.com/us/kbarticles/Pages/catalystlegacywin8.aspx

thanks, will try!

however, OpenGL is a problem with them, Space pirates and zombies (SPAZ) on steam wouldn't run because 'can't run openGL on this system' see a bunch of similar complaints from Windows 8 testers.

thanks a lot for the link though.

also, that's one of my win 8 hurdles jumped. However I also have this motherboard

ASUS M4A78-E 770 Socket AM2+

and have found that the sound driver doesn't work either. Or actually only the microphone doesn't. I get a loud ass buzzing sound instead of normal voice. apparently the problem slowly developed, where friends thought I was a dying robot for a while and now it's totally screwed.

I purchased my system in 2009 (julyish), which I guess means I'm at the edge of 'your pc is too shitty for the new stuff'

which disappoints me, because I can still run new games at very acceptable settings most of the time.

for fellow win 8 enthusiasts (if there actually are any) be very careful about drivers if your system is the age of mine or above.

I recently bought a laptop (3 month ago), and it´s seems to have issues.

1- It slows down sometimes. I mean for example if i am opening several windows, and i want to change to another window, the whole thing move in slow motion. I restart the computer to get it right. I am not really sure what´s happening.

2- My laptop is locking me from deleting some content. It says i need an administrator´s permission even though i am the admin. I tried ti change it from admin to standard type but the standard is greyed out. So i can´t click it. So i google it and got this
I figured it out!! I was having the same problem but finally figured out a solution.

Right click on the folder > Properties > Security > Advanced

On the Permissions tab, click Change Permissions. The following window will list all permission entries. Check BOTH boxes below, one says, "Include inheritable permissions from this object's parent" and the other says, "Replace all child object permissions with inheritable permissions from this object." Click APPLY. A security message will come up about permissions, click YES. Then, uncheck the box (only the top box should be checked after you click apply) and you will be prompted with a security message. Click REMOVE.

Now, with all folders I've done this with except one, all permissions were removed except "Users". This is exactly what you want. The exception was one folder deleted ALL permissions which would not allow anyone to edit the file which you obviously don't want. For this file, I manually removed all permissions via the remove button except "users" and this worked as well.

Hope you get as much joy out of beating the system as I did!
I tried it, and it mostly works, but it should not be this troublesome. Is there an easier way to override the system where i can delete any content without jumping through hoops.

3- The gaf vid gifs don´t work properly. The video gifs works on other sites though. They freeze and for them to start move i have to refresh the page, and only one gif at a time works properly. The problem when i save this gifs on my PC, it presents them as stand still pic that i have to click for them to look animated. Much like cartoons in the old days. Could the specs of my laptop be the issue?

Thank you in advance.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Sounds like a spec issue. Particularly not enough RAM. That would explain the sluggishness when you open more than one window/program. And the GIF issues.

In the alternative it could be some software installed that bogs it down. Some computers come with crappy virusscan/anti-malware software that does more harm than good. Or it could even be outdated drivers.

Can you post the specs?

Intel I3 2310M
Intel HD graphics 3000 1700 MB dynamic video mem
6 GB DDR3 memory.

The gifs work on other sites. I just went to Tumblr and it was full with gifs and they all work.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Those specs sound fine. You should not be having the browsing issues you mention. Are you using Chrome/IE/Firefox? Latest version? Any odd extensions that affect Gaf?

Veelk

Banned
It seems my computer is overheating. I have:

Radeon HD 4890 graphics card
ASUS P6T SE LGA motherboard
Intel Core i7-920

The CPU fan broke a few weeks ago and I only just now got a new one. Everything seems to be working fine, except when I turn on Speedfan after my computer has been running a while. Whenever I open it, despite doing nothing but running chrome, the CPU is usually at around 50-51 degree's celcius, system at 50-51, and GPU usually at around 70 unless the fan is running as fast as it can, in which case it cools down a bit.

I read somewhere that my CPU can withstand tempertures up to 80 degree's, but still...Am I worrying over nothing, or do I need to get something new before my computer explodes?

Those specs sound fine. You should not be having the browsing issues you mention. Are you using Chrome/IE/Firefox? Latest version? Any odd extensions that affect Gaf?

Most definitely a browser issue. I just opened IE and all gifs work. How do i make them work on chrome? I really dislike IE and firefox.

Darklord

Banned
My uploading is screwed. I wanted to send a file to someone, it was only 95mb. I tried Mediafire. It skips to right to the end like 80% in a second then says failed. I tried Rapidshare. Same thing, skips to the end then fails.

I rarely, in fact, almost never upload files. What the hell is causing that? I tried both FF and Chrome.

Derrick01

Banned
So I checked my norton history today and lately I've been getting this message along the lines of "protecting your connection to a newly detected network on adapter "Teredo Tunneling Psuedo-Interface" and then it lists a different IP address in each note, only one of them I notice is mine. I don't usually make it a habit to check that and I don't even know what made me do it now but I have done it a few times before and never noticed that.

I googled it and I think it's nothing bad but I was trying to read through a bunch of tech talk that I did not understand. The general vibe seemed to be that it wasn't bad or weird but more validation would be nice. It comes up a lot too. I just started my computer up and I notice 10 different messages in the log saying what I quoted above but with a different and really weird IP address format each time.

Shoogoo

Damn, I have another hindrance to overcome before I can get this PC to run Borderlands 2 :/

A little update on my situation (long ass post incoming);

0/ This is my PC

18KRz

1/ I needed a new graphics card, and a gaffer recommended me a GTX650. Bought it right away.

2/ It appeared that my PSU wasn't good enough to power it, so I bought one, here are its specs;

1d29H

3/ I could finally plug my graphics card, and after installing the latest drivers + reboot *sigh* it still isn't working properly. I have a huge black border as seen on this picture (sorry for the horrible pic, it was more clear with the flash on)

1d2sx

When I click on the Nvidia Settings icon, I get the message

NVIDIA Display settings are not available.
You are not currently using a display attached to an NVIDIA GPU

This is what I see in the Device Manager;
1d2xf

After seeing that it wasn't working, I uninstalled the drivers and tried to install the drivers on the CD, it didn't change anything. Now I'm back to the last version.

Could it be that my motherboard can't handle the graphics card? What can I do? Any help appreciated!

Jzero

Damn, I have another hindrance to overcome before I can get this PC to run Borderlands 2 :/

A little update on my situation (long ass post incoming);

0/ This is my PC

http://puu.sh/18KRz[/im]

1/ I needed a new graphics card, and a gaffer recommended me a GTX650. Bought it right away.

2/ It appeared that my PSU wasn't good enough to power it, so I bought one, here are its specs;

[img]http://puu.sh/1d29H[/im]

3/ I could finally plug my graphics card, and after installing the latest drivers + reboot *sigh* it still isn't working properly. I have a huge black border as seen on this picture (sorry for the horrible pic, it was more clear with the flash on)

[img]http://puu.sh/1d2sx[/im]

When I click on the Nvidia Settings icon, I get the message

[b]NVIDIA Display settings are not available.[/b]
[b]You are not currently using a display attached to an NVIDIA GPU[/b]

This is what I see in the Device Manager;
[img]http://puu.sh/1d2xf[/im]

After seeing that it wasn't working, I uninstalled the drivers and tried to install the drivers on the CD, it didn't change anything. Now I'm back to the last version.

Could it be that my motherboard can't handle the graphics card? What can I do? Any help appreciated![/quote]
Are you connecting the video cable to the actual graphics card? don't connect it to the motherboard.

Jzero

Yes, it's connected to the graphics card, in the DVI slot 1. There is another one though, should I try it? (I didn't yet)

You could try it but the first one should work as well. Another thing you could try in the device manager is to right click the video card and click "upgrade driver software" (search automatically)and see if that works.

Shoogoo

You could try it but the first one should work as well. Another thing you could try in the device manager is to right click the video card and click "upgrade driver software" (search automatically)and see if that works.

wtf, after doing that I got this;

1d2VF

which translates to;

The best driver for your device is already installed

Windows has determined that the driver is up to date

but I still got the attention mark in the device manager!

Jzero

wtf, after doing that I got this;

http://puu.sh/1d2VF[/IM]

which translates to;

The best driver for your device is already installed

Windows has determined that the driver is up to date

but I still got the attention mark in the device manager![/QUOTE]

That's weird. Did you try making the resolution higher/lower in order to get the black bars off?
btw is that a tv or a monitor?

Jzero

Yes, first thing I tried. Those are my choices;

http://puu.sh/1d3fP[/im]

And no matter what I try, there are black borders[/quote]
Another thing you could try is this
[url]http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Open-the-Display-Quality-troubleshooter[/url]

So you're saying the nvidia control won't let you change anything?

AndyD

aka andydumi
You may need to update/install monitor drivers. To allow the video card to output in the correct resolutions.

Shoogoo

Mmh, that didn't help, sorry.

So you're saying the nvidia control won't let you change anything?

Yes, I'm getting an error when I try to launch it.

head to Nvidia Control Panel, and look up scaling.

Also, can you check what is the date of the driver of your graphics card?

As I said, I can't reach the Nvidia Panel, it just doesn't work. How can I see the date of the driver?

You may need to update/install monitor drivers. To allow the video card to output in the correct resolutions.

Good idea, though I'm pretty sure the problem comes from the graphics card!

I'll reboot and plug it on the 2nd DVI slot to see if that changes anything (I doubt but hey)

AndyD

aka andydumi
Try drivercleaner, then go to the nvidia website, download latest and go from there. That will give you a clean install with no lingering old drivers.

Shoogoo

Man your computer has a lot of issues.

It's not exactly my computer, but that doesn't matter.

Now that I think of it, I've had another really weird issue with it. I couldn't start any antivirus on it. None of the free would work on it.

Some official from Avira tried to find what was the cause for over a week of testing and shit, but we didn't find it and I just gave up, tired of running a bazillion of tests.

The thread is here

AndyD

aka andydumi
If you want to tackle that as well we can. You may have a virus/malware that is also causing issues.

Best place to start usually is uninstall all virusscanners and other anti-ad/malware applications. Install Microsoft Security Essentials. Install adaware or sypbot, update all to latest definitions, then boot to safe mode and run all of them.

Jzero

It's not exactly my computer, but that doesn't matter.

Now that I think of it, I've had another really weird issue with it. I couldn't start any antivirus on it. None of the free would work on it.

Some official from Avira tried to find what was the cause for over a week of testing and shit, but we didn't find it and I just gave up, tired of running a bazillion of tests.

The thread is here
You know what as a last resort you can re-install windows. That should get rid of most of the problems since your windows seems to be kinda corrupted.

Shoogoo

You know what as a last resort you can re-install windows. That should get rid of most of the problems since your windows seems to be kinda corrupted.

I didn't receive a windows cd with this computer... Not even sure if that's normal or not. There is a key for a "Windows Home Prem OA" on it.

Original Equipment Manufacturer (OEM) Activation is also known as OA. It will only allow for one installed copy with it to be activated. If you try to do it on both 32/64 bit versions, you will probably get the Your Product Key is already in use or The Windows 7 product key you typed is invalid for activation message.

lol, what a rip off..

You should be able to access the recovery partition if it is still there. You have to boot up again and hit f12 (might be different for your mobo/bios).

AndyD

aka andydumi
I didn't receive a windows cd with this computer... Not even sure if that's normal or not. There is a key for a "Windows Home Prem OA" on it.

Original Equipment Manufacturer (OEM) Activation is also known as OA. It will only allow for one installed copy with it to be activated. If you try to do it on both 32/64 bit versions, you will probably get the Your Product Key is already in use or The Windows 7 product key you typed is invalid for activation message.

lol, what a rip off..

That does not affect your ability to reinstall. One activation means one device. If you reinstall on the same computer there's no issues with activation. And MS has all the iso images ready for download and burning to DVD or to be made into a bootable flash drive on their site. Really easy if you want to go that route.

speedline

Banned
I need help gaf. Sunday I flipped the breaker to one side of my house off because I was installing a new ceiling fan in the living room. I forgot to shut down my pc before doing that and when I flipped the breaker back on the pc will no longer turn on.

When I push the power button nothing happens, there is a green light than is on on the power supply in the back. I went to HP website and tried a few things and like trying different outlets, ect. Anyways since the light is on the power supply I am think that it is ok. I'm looking at the motherboard as the culprit, unless the cpu is fried. I took out the video card just in case it was a possible issue. So now I am looking at replacing the motherboard and this is where my questions come up:

Btw, it's a HP e9100z computer I bought back in 2009. It has a phenom II X4 910 proc and a Pegatron M2N78-LA motherboard that I am looking to replace. Socket AM3.

I don't have much money but I NEED this desktop back up asap as it's my main computer for pretty much everything. Please help me pick a cheap mobo out online!

Also, will I have problems validating windows with a new mobo? I have the HP restore disks with win Vista that came with it, also bought windows 7 upgrade ed when it came out. Will MS give me fits because the mobo will be different? THANKS IN ADVANCE!

Dear TechSupportGAF,

I'm using a Dell laptop E6500. The laptop suddenly shuts down sometimes. This usually happens when I'm doing something that requires heavy CPU processing like a 20mb spreadsheet. I do some major number crunching, then press F9 to refresh all cells, then I will see "Calculating, 0%..Processing". I will hear the CPU fan kick into high gear....and sometimes, the laptop will just shut down.

So it's not only for these major spreadsheets, but for any other thing that eats up lotsa CPU.

Help me, TechSupportGAF!

What's going on?

Shoogoo

That does not affect your ability to reinstall. One activation means one device. If you reinstall on the same computer there's no issues with activation. And MS has all the iso images ready for download and burning to DVD or to be made into a bootable flash drive on their site. Really easy if you want to go that route.

Yes, I think I'd like to try this. Where should I start? Backing up all my files I suppose?

Shoogoo

AndyD

aka andydumi
The one that is posted is a clean standard copy of Win 7 and make sure you get the 64 bit. The CD key simply activates it, it has nothing to do with the programs installed.

The issues you had with drivers and other things should not be there if you do a clean install. Because all old programs/drivers/settings will be wiped out and you will start from clean scratch.

Also, it being a Dell, make sure you don't re-install all the Dell stuff that came with the computer. Windows will automatically find and update the majority if not all of the items you need, and we can help with the rest.

CMDBob

Got a bit of a question here, GAF. I've got a laptop, comes with a recovery partition. Gonna be using it, wanna get rid of the W8 Consumer Beta (I never upgraded it, heh. Want to go back to Win7, but all that's kinda not relevant to the question.)

I want to back up my data partition on my HD first. Can anyone recommend me some backup solution other than Ctrl-A, Ctrl-C and Ctrl-P? (something preferably free and easy?) Never really had to back up that much data before, so I'm kinda new to this...

Top Bottom