• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tech Support GAF Thread: No Case Too Big, No Case Too Small

decaf

Going a bit mad here trying to recover/format/use an external 3TB drive.

On Windows 7 x64 here. I'm guessing the partition table's messed up - the drive itself isn't not being detected by EASEUS Partition Recovery and Windows Disk Mangement won't load up. The drive is, however, shown under Removable Storage in My Computer as Removable Disk (F:).

Trying to format it shows it's a drive of "unknown capacity" and attempting to format just gives me the message "Windows was unable to complete the format." Trying to do a checkdisk gives the message "Windows can't access the disk."

I'm at my wits' end - any advice on what I can do or programs that might help?

decaf

Is there any data you want to rescue from the disk before? If Windows doesn't cut it, I would try the gParted Live CD. TestDisk is well worth a try, too.
In an ideal world I'd like to recover files from it, but there is/was nothing incredibly important on there. I've just tried TestDisk for x64 - no dice. I'll have a go with gParted in a little while. Any other ideas are also appreciated!

accx

In an ideal world I'd like to recover files from it, but there is/was nothing incredibly important on there. I've just tried TestDisk for x64 - no dice. I'll have a go with gParted in a little while. Any other ideas are also appreciated!

If gParted doesn't work you might be able to recover data/get it to work by removing it from the enclosure. That said, it will void your warranty and you'll need a desktop to connect it.

Gallbaro

Banned
1W3hz.png

Is this method of creating two networks from one internet connection possible? I need one network for a VPN into my office and just a regular home network. So before I but the additional switch and VPN router I would love to know if it is possible.

krae_man

I just bought a brand new PC from ibuypower and I'm having trouble getting it setup. I turn it on and nothing shows up on my monitor and it doesn't look like the mouse and keyboard are drawing power(laser on the bottom of the mouse doesn't turn on).

The last computer I bought started right up and put me through the steps to installing windows but I'm not getting that here. What am I missing?

decaf

If gParted doesn't work you might be able to recover data/get it to work by removing it from the enclosure. That said, it will void your warranty and you'll need a desktop to connect it.
No joy with gParted... couldn't detect the drive at all. Don't really fancy opening it up either. Bah! Thanks anyway.

Friggz

WHen I updated my iphone to IOS6, all of my facebook freinds became contacts on my phone and overrode all of my other previous contacts. Does anyone know how to undo this? Its driving me friggin nuts, and all of my normal contacts are missing.

i've got two problems that may or may not be connected & would love some help.

1) i have a harddrive connected to my router so that i can stream movies/music wirelessly to my laptop. now for music it's absolutely fine, pretty flawless but with movies it can often stop completely. the distance from router to laptop is barely 10 meters & so was wondering what other things could be interfering with the signal. is there something i can do with the internal network (which i didn't really set up, just connected the harddrive via ethernet to the router) that might be stopping it from streaming properly?

2) since updating osx lion to 10.7.5 my torrents seem to be about 100kb/s slower than they used to be, regardless of the number of seeds. now, it may not have been directly connected to the recent update, but timing wise seems to be about right. is there something i can do setup wise that will help this?

sorry for the rather amateurish questions, haha.

i've got two problems that may or may not be connected & would love some help.

1) i have a harddrive connected to my router so that i can stream movies/music wirelessly to my laptop. now for music it's absolutely fine, pretty flawless but with movies it can often stop completely. the distance from router to laptop is barely 10 meters & so was wondering what other things could be interfering with the signal. is there something i can do with the internal network (which i didn't really set up, just connected the harddrive via ethernet to the router) that might be stopping it from streaming properly?
Movies require A LOT more bandwidth than music, so a wireless connection tends not to be great for that. Try connecting the computer to the network with w wire and see if it works. If so, I think you're kinda boned unless you find a better wireless router.

Movies require A LOT more bandwidth than music, so a wireless connection tends not to be great for that. Try connecting the computer to the network with w wire and see if it works. If so, I think you're kinda boned unless you find a better wireless router.

really? bugger. there i was naively thinking i could do it wirelessly. my girlfriend & i are currently listening to music through our respective laptops & my music keeps cutting out, haha.
in terms of routers, how do you know what is good or not? my current one was provided by my isp, so i'm assuming it's not too good. saying that though, it is an 'n' rated router... hmm.

in terms of routers, how do you know what is good or not? my current one was provided by my isp, so i'm assuming it's not too good. saying that though, it is an 'n' rated router... hmm.
That means it can use the most recent wireless protocol. That doesn't mean it runs it well.
You often get what you pay for with network equipment, if that helps.

gamma

Guys can you see YouTube videos if you use https? All videos are just black for me, it looks like Flash is not loading but I'm not sure why. Have to change to http manually everytime which is annoying.

I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask this or not - iPod related.

I have a 160gb iPod that's a few years old (probably 2007 or 08). I just recently switched from having it sync from my iMac to my MacBook. I have 8,000 songs on my MacBook and every time I try syncing my iPod to my library it freezes around the 5,000th song. My iTunes is up to date as is my iPod software - and I just tried restoring my iPod and syncing again today and it did the same thing again.

Any halp?!?

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
Windows 7 Issue

I have a CHM file, which would normally open on . . . well Windows, but on my system it's not associated with anything, and I can't seem to open it natively.

I've used SamatraPDF, but it doesn't show images.

Where do I find the default application?

XenoRaven

So happy we have one of these threads on here.

Anyway, I'm having a sound issue. I recently moved across the country by car, with my PC in the trunk. It was well packed, but due to some misdirection by our GPS, we ended up on a very bumpy unpaved road in Wyoming. I just unpacked my PC, set it up, and everything works great...except the sound. According to Windows, my sound device (RealTek High Definition Audio) is working fine, and I still get the green bar volume indicator when I check the volume icon in the taskbar whenever I'm playing sound. But when I plug my headphones in any of the audio jacks (front-headphone, rear-line out, rear-speaker) I don't get any sound. I tested the headphones on another device and they work fine, so that isn't the issue. I'm not really sure where the disconnect is. Does anyone have any suggestions?

I should note that my sound device is built into my motherboard, which is an ASUS P8P67 WS Revolution board.

Shadybiz

I usually use Chrome for all my browsing. Recently though, it started doing this strange thing where gifs don't all run properly. I have to refresh the page, or right click + Inspect element to get them to run. Not all of them are like this, though; I'd say about 50% display properly.

Oddly, when I switch over to Internet Explorer, everything is as it should be.

Steps taken so far:
MSE scan: Nothing
Malwarebytes scan: Nothing
Tried uninstalling and reinstalling Chrome: Didn't work.

So I'm really not sure what the problem is. This is for Chrome on my desktop; it still runs fine on my laptop, so I am guessing that there is something conflicting with it on the desktop, just not sure what.

I am going out for a couple hours, so apologies if I don't answer back right away.

Edit: huh...just found out that it happens with the laptop as well. I wonder if it actually has something to do with a recent Chrome update or something.

Emwitus

So i don't know what my nephew did to his kindle fire. It flashes between green and orange. Boot screen also seems to be on an infinite loop. Please helps. Can this be fixed? Or should we start saving up for some other gift? lol

Rootbeer

Banned
I bought a season pass of a tv show on iTunes. Everything's great, quality is great, ease-of-access is great, but I noticed one big problem: I can't take screenshots of the videos. Any attempt results in a blank image. Fuckin DRM.

The videos do not play in VLC, but they do play in quicktime. As well as itunes itself, obviously.

Am I wrong to assume this should fall under fair use? Everywhere you look on the internet you see tons of screengrabs from our favorite films, not to mention animated gifs, youtube clips, etc.

All I want is to take simple grabs of some of my favorite scenes. Preferably in full screen, 1080p

Can anyone help me find a way to do this?

Note: I only seem to have this problem on my mac (10.7.2), on PC i can screenshot to my heart's content. Problem is I have to use my mac most of the time, particularly when not at home.

Does this bother anyone else? The way things are going, in just a few more years most people will get nearly all of their content digitally. It's about to get a whole lot harder to do even the simplest things...

Shoogoo

Hi guys, complete PC newb here.

I recently bought a GTX650, and I saw this in the box;

1almD

I attached the 6 pin to the graphics card, but I can't find where to attach the two other ends. Is it supposed to go on the power supply unit? If yes, where?

Is it possible that my PC has no such connectors? It's a DELL Inspiron.

Thanks for the help

Feature

Banned
Hey guys, I want to capture all the network traffic coming from my PS3. My PS3 is on wireless. Is there a way too intercept the data at the router?

nan0

I recently bought a GTX650, and I saw this in the box;

1almD

I attached the 6 pin to the graphics card, but I can't find where to attach the two other ends. Is it supposed to go on the power supply unit? If yes, where?

Thanks for the help

The two white plugs go on the usual 4-Pin Molex connectors, they are also used on IDE devices. I have no idea if current PSUs omit these, but I would be surprised if there aren't one or two of these.
They look like this:
250px-Molex_female_connector.jpg

Otherwise, there are cheap adaptors, if you have free SATA power cords.

red731

I usually use Chrome for all my browsing. Recently though, it started doing this strange thing where gifs don't all run properly. I have to refresh the page, or right click + Inspect element to get them to run. Not all of them are like this, though; I'd say about 50% display properly.

Oddly, when I switch over to Internet Explorer, everything is as it should be.

Steps taken so far:
MSE scan: Nothing
Malwarebytes scan: Nothing
Tried uninstalling and reinstalling Chrome: Didn't work.

So I'm really not sure what the problem is. This is for Chrome on my desktop; it still runs fine on my laptop, so I am guessing that there is something conflicting with it on the desktop, just not sure what.

I am going out for a couple hours, so apologies if I don't answer back right away.

Edit: huh...just found out that it happens with the laptop as well. I wonder if it actually has something to do with a recent Chrome update or something.

This exact thing is happening to me too! Also not with everything.

Avast, SuperAntiSpyware, CCleaner(internet cache) nothing.
I've recently turned off some services and disable XPS documents(controll panel, programs, activate or disable win programs).

I must resize the page(to somewhat refresh what I see) - maximize or minimize OR F11(which is the fastest way) when I see that gif, when I scroll down on another gif, do it again.

So I am not the only one. Phew.

Any help would be appreciated. I immediately though of E3 and what horror that would be.

Shoogoo

The two white plugs go on the usual 4-Pin Molex connectors, they are also used on IDE devices. I have no idea if current PSUs omit these, but I would be surprised if there aren't one or two of these.
They look like this:
250px-Molex_female_connector.jpg

Otherwise, there are cheap adaptors, if you have free SATA power cords.

Thanks, I don't have any 4-pin Molex in the case. But I have 2 of these

1alI6

One is on the HDD, the other is on the DVD. Are those SATA power cords? They look like it, but man if they all don't look the same :/

Shoogoo

I have all those cables coming out of the PSU

1alMn

And most of them connect here

1alMR

(sorry for the lack of light on this one)

Beside those cables, I only got 2 SATAs, one to the HDD, one to the DVD. And I got another set of 4 cables (2 brown, 2 black) connecting to the Motherboard.

Am I screwed?

I need a recommendation for a good web hosting company. I'm taking a web design class and I've been uploading CSS pages to my server and I'm puzzled why the changes don't take effect. Turns out this shitty company I picked called iPage is to blame-they have server caching and it won't update for over 30 minutes!!

Jzero

I have all those cables coming out of the PSU

http://puu.sh/1alMn

And most of them connect here

http://puu.sh/1alMR
(sorry for the lack of light on this one)

Beside those cables, I only got 2 SATAs, one to the HDD, one to the DVD. And I got another set of 4 cables (2 brown, 2 black) connecting to the Motherboard.

Am I screwed?
Yea you're going to have to buy an adapter.

Edit: since you're already using them for the Hard drive and DVD maybe you should upgrade your power supply instead.

Dougald

I need a recommendation for a good web hosting company. I'm taking a web design class and I've been uploading CSS pages to my server and I'm puzzled why the changes don't take effect. Turns out this shitty company I picked called iPage is to blame-they have server caching and it won't update for over 30 minutes!!

Hostgator are fantastic, and allow you a lot more freedom with your webspace than other places

Shoogoo

Yea you're going to have to buy an adapter.

Edit: since you're already using them for the Hard drive and DVD maybe you should upgrade your power supply instead.

I never ever use my DVD, could I use just one? In the User Guide it is said that it's required to connect the supplemental power adapter to allow it to function at optimal performance. So it is not entirely obligatory, is it?

Jzero

I never ever use my DVD, could I use just one? In the User Guide it is said that it's required to connect the supplemental power adapter to allow it to function at optimal performance. So it is not entirely obligatory, is it?
if you don't use it then just buy the adapter.

AndyD

aka andydumi

Your power supply only has two sata power and that's it?

Its a pre-build computer so its likely it has a stripped down power supply to keep costs down.

I would advise using a SATA adapter if possible, as mentioned above, and at worst, just replace the power supply. You should find a relatively low cost replacement. The issue you could run into is whether the case screw mounts are proprietary with the Dell case.

I had an old Compaq case which had a proprietary power supply with a non standard screw mount pattern, so I could not replace the power supply easily.

malfcn

Time Warner is pissing me off. I have my own modem, and signed up with 20Mb internet. Fine, great. This week I am getting 2-5Mb.

Well I just got the Galaxy S 3 on AT&T and tried activating it. They killed my old SIM card in my iPhone and didn't activate my Galaxy SIM Card. FML

And ofcourse they close early so I have to wait until 7 am. -.-;

MrBig

Time Warner is pissing me off. I have my own modem, and signed up with 20Mb internet. Fine, great. This week I am getting 2-5Mb.

That's how it is with copper cables. Bandwidth is dependent on load/the amount of people using the line.

You pretty much have to get FiOS or some other fiber optic service to get the actual advertised speeds or higher at all times..

red731

O-haio tech gaf -

This one will be about Unreal Engine 3 games.

Games like Borderlands 2 and XCOM EU demo are very choppy while loading. It's pretty bad in XCOM since the loading screen is even briefing and not so bad in BL2, where there is a gun spinning.

When then is loading, the game is smooth for like one second, then nothing happens, then it moves again, and again and again and finaly when everything is loaded, it's smooth.

I have a laptop. Yeah. 2,5(2,8turbo) dualcore, ati mob hd 5650, 4gb, win 7 64x and 5400rpm disk. Pagefile set to windows handled and using 8gb flash as readyboost device(I should try to take that out). I have 51 processes running after windows boots with everything.
I think the problem is definately the processor and/or the slow hdd, but I still wanted to ask if anyone encountered anything like I do in any other UE3 games.

LakeEarth

K, to repair my desktop PC I need to replace my motherboard. Any tips on this? I don't know what to look for when getting a new one.

AndyD

aka andydumi
K, to repair my desktop PC I need to replace my motherboard. Any tips on this? I don't know what to look for when getting a new one.

We need some more specs. AMD/Intel and type of processor and what other devices you have in there, CD/DVD, video, sound, network cards...

And your budget, and whether you want to salvage as much as possible and replace as little as possible, or if you are open to upgrade more than the motherboard.

Top Bottom