• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Television Displays and Technology Thread: This is a fantasy based on OLED

FJ0372

If I have budget of around £2 - £2.5k for a 65 inch TV, is the Sony XE9005 / 9305 the best TV to get? Seems to have overtaken the 2016 Samsungs from reading this thread, but wondering if I'm missing anything?

It would be used for gaming / Netflix / watching sports on cable. Thanks in advance!

I still don't get it though. I played Inside on my previous OLED, the EC9300 and it looked fine to me. With OLED's amazing black levels you'd think it would benefit from Inside. What was I supposed to be seeing?

I never really know much about these issues and what it means. What exactly does issues with uniformity mean?

If you don't notice it the general rule is don't go looking for it, but my tv had a large, irregular patch that would display slightly lighter than the rest of the screen. These are really visible on gray colors and INSIDE has a lot of these.

Lima

I still don't get it though. I played Inside on my previous OLED, the EC9300 and it looked fine to me. With OLED's amazing black levels you'd think it would benefit from Inside. What was I supposed to be seeing?

I never really know much about these issues and what it means. What exactly does issues with uniformity mean?

Ignorance is bliss bro.
If you don't see any issues don't learn and start looking for them. Please.

BumRush

You can always use the AVS709 disc - it is free and very useful - everything required for a full calibration. It also has some instructional videos. Link is in the OP, OP.

Also, the first commercial HDR-10 calibration disc is coming out for purchase within the next two months. I already own the digital files, but these will be available on a UHD disc.

http://diversifiedvideosolutions.com

Thanks for posting this. I grabbed a Spears disc (still have a Plasma) but will ask you some questions when I eventually get an HDR10 display.

If you don't notice it the general rule is don't go looking for it, but my tv had a large, irregular patch that would display slightly lighter than the rest of the screen. These are really visible on gray colors and INSIDE has a lot of these.

Ignorance is bliss bro.

This is sage advice.

AVS is proof that there is no limit to things you can obsess over when it comes to PQ, and it certainly doesn't end with uniformity.

Kyoufu

If I have budget of around £2 - £2.5k for a 65 inch TV, is the Sony XE9005 / 9305 the best TV to get? Seems to have overtaken the 2016 Samsungs from reading this thread, but wondering if I'm missing anything?

It would be used for gaming / Netflix / watching sports on cable. Thanks in advance!

Can't go wrong with the 930 or maybe even wait a little longer for a price drop on the ZD9.

FJ0372

Can't go wrong with the 930 or maybe even wait a little longer for a price drop on the ZD9.

Thanks - ZD9 is out as it's beyond what I'd like to pay and I need to buy in the next week.

Reading Rtings, the input lag for gaming @ 1080p 60 seems to be a little high at around 44ms...have you noticed any issues with this? With the current set of consoles, the majority of games in my library aren't 4k yet

Mrbob

You aren't missing anything. If the price difference isn't huge and you have the money I would get the 930. It's a better tv picture, gets brighter for hdr, and has more features.

Kyoufu

Thanks - ZD9 is out as it's beyond what I'd like to pay and I need to buy in the next week.

Reading Rtings, the input lag for gaming @ 1080p 60 seems to be a little high at around 44ms...have you noticed any issues with this? With the current set of consoles, the majority of games in my library aren't 4k yet

Speaking for myself personally, anything 50 or below is fine but you should remember that PS4 Pro and Xbox One S/X will be sending a 4K signal so the input lag will be in the 20s instead anyway.

It doesn't matter which games you have, they all output 2160p signals on PS4 Pro/XB1S/X.

FJ0372

You aren't missing anything. If the price difference isn't huge and you have the money I would get the 930. It's a better tv picture, gets brighter for hdr, and has more features.

Speaking for myself personally, anything 50 or below is fine but you should remember that PS4 Pro and Xbox One S/X will be sending a 4K signal so the input lag will be in the 20s instead anyway.

It doesn't matter which games you have, they all output 2160p signals on PS4 Pro/XB1S/X.

Great, thanks guys, that makes sense. My only real other concern then is playing overwatch on XBO.

On a separate note, it's so irritating that the model numbers for UK / US models are ever so slightly different to complicate matters whilst trying to research this stuff. It's as if manufacturers like to intentionally obfuscate any clear understanding of what is what for their own devious purposes.

holygeesus

Banned
Is this still a thing on the 2017 OLEDs?

Controversially, I think the 2017 sets are worse, if anything, for uniformity and bands, even on the Sony and other models (they all use LG panels of course)

My guess is because LG are being sourced for so many panels this year, they have let their QC standards slip a little more, which is why generally uniformity isn't as good as it was on the 2016 sets.

Controversially, I think the 2017 sets are worse, if anything, for uniformity and bands, even on the Sony and other models (they all use LG panels of course)

My guess is because LG are being sourced for so many panels this year, they have let their QC standards slip a little more, which is why generally uniformity isn't as good as it was on the 2016 sets.
How do you figure? Number of complaints? Personal experience?

Kyoufu

Just turned on the E6 and got a software update notification. The auto updater hasn't been functional since I installed the HDR Game mode update manually, so this is surprising.

Is this the HLG update?

Yukstin

Just turned on the E6 and got a software update notification. The auto updater hasn't been functional since I installed the HDR Game mode update manually, so this is surprising.

Is this the HLG update?

What's the update numbers? 05.30.02 released on 7-14 is the one causing the problems for everyone.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Haha, sound advice, unfortunately. Little Nightmares is also... a nightmare on OLED.
Hmm, Inside looks phenomenal on my OLED (it's a 55EC9300, 1080p model, but thankfully great grey uniformity). I'll have to see Little Nightmares, but generally, I've calibrated the TV in such a way that near-black content is not a problem. It was hard to do it, and I ended up going with a non-recommended gamma setting, and compensated with other settings. It's really no joke that this is a big problem on OLEDs. I spent days pulling my hair to make sure that shadow detail wasn't being completely crushed, and used my plasma as a reference. I can safely say, that pulling this off is simply not possible to do with a normal, recommended gamma setting on this TV - I had to use the "low" (or a number equivalent) setting for all my inputs, and then adjust all the other settings to compensate..

RoadHazard

Gold Member

35387039293_24b2d6fe41_o.jpg

With a "perfect" panel this would just be a smooth, flat gray.

(Image borrowed from earlier in the thread)

Look at all the pictures on page 221 of this thread.

They're referring to screen uniformity (consistency of image) at near black.

Ah yes. I saw the photos just now. I made a few of my own and so far things seem fine.

https://imgur.com/gallery/OfgNd

I never did play Inside on my 65B6 however but on the EC9300 it seemed fine. But man that sounds like a fucked up issue for sure.

Ignorance is bliss bro.

That is very very true. I definitely wasn't planning on testing it out, merely trying to understand what uniformity even meant. :)

Kambing

Certainly feels like there has never been a better time to buy TV's from a picture quality POV, and as a gamer, than today. Prices are a fraction of what they were in the past, even at larger sizes for reference displays. I don't think you can go wrong, so long as you accept and or can tolerate, going into a purchase, flaws inherent to LCD or OLED. Both are damn good.

Input lag has never been as low as they are today on top performing sets. Black levels, be it via OLED or LCD, are excellent. Color reproduction, also excellent. Full chroma support across the board as well! Prize motion resolution? Get an LCD with BFI. Prize instantaneous pixel response? Get an OLED.

Good times we live in

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Where do you get these gray slides? Is there a finished library of them, or are you creating them yourselves?

Getting my X930E tomorrow...

Put on a red slide and everything you've ever known will become meaningless.

On my life, I'm on ISF Dark, and if I did that on my C7 I would go blind.

I can't wait to calibrate my set. The red push is just crazy. Playing Overwatch is almost blinding at times (hyperbole, but it's bad). Even on ISF Dark.

Don't do it Mosquito

Don't go down this path

Darkness that way lies

Don't worry :)

I won't do that. I don't even seem to have these 10% ones but that's OK. What matters most is that I don't see it during gaming or movies/shows/anime. And well.... it's not like I don't see it at all because I can definitely spot some banding during bright scenes in games and shows but it's nothing horrible.

A shame these companies still can't fix it though. But I guess tvs will always have issues. I had plenty banding and green tinge with plasma.

Thing is, right now I sit quite far away from my 65 inch because otherwise 1080p and below games will look way too blurry but when Xbox One X comes out I'll be sitting much closer for 4K and I am already fearing I will be noticing the banding on other stuff easier.

But I am assuming that if I did test those 10% images it would likely look really bad as well? No chance of things being a okay at all? :(

Oh wow, the B7 is dipping under £2K now.

Feels like yesterday we was waiting for the 2017 OLEDs to drop but we're so close to CES2018 now I'm sure I can hold out.

/repeat cycle

Truthfully, the transition from marketing LCDs as LCDs to marketing the same technological premise as LED is one of the greatest marketing coups in the last ten years.

TheBoss1

Truthfully, the transition from marketing LCDs as LCDs to marketing the same technological premise as LED is one of the greatest marketing coups in the last ten years.

I fell for it when I first bought a TV. Surprisingly, it was a decent gaming set with low input lag (~20 ms).

holygeesus

Banned
With a "perfect" panel this would just be a smooth, flat gray.

(Image borrowed from earlier in the thread)

It's not that clear cut. Slides should only be run after a compensation cycle, otherwise you might be seeing residual images from what was being watched before. If I watch a film/TV show in 4:3 and then immediately put slides up, you see the lines in the images where the borders are for 4:3 material. It looks like my grey uniformity is poor - if I run a compensation cycle before testing, then my grey slides are spot-on.

Always run slides after at least the ten minute compensation cycle that happens automatically after 4 hours of use, when you turn the TV off, to get an accurate idea of your grey uniformity.

holygeesus

Banned
HDR Game mode on my E6 is dimmer than SDR.

Yeah, this is bad.

It's been that way on the B6 in the U.K ever since we got the firmware with HDR Game mode. The theory was it is related to the improvement in gaming lag reduction somehow. I guess they are now using the same tactic with the other models. If you play with dynamic contrast you can improve the pop of the image somewhat.

Dabanton

This is sage advice.

AVS is proof that there is no limit to things you can obsess over when it comes to PQ, and it certainly doesn't end with uniformity.

I had to wean myself off the TV threads there. It bordered on and often surpassed obsessive compulsion disorder to some of the people over there.

Top Bottom