• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Television Displays and Technology Thread: This is a fantasy based on OLED

Ashhong

Thanks. I just have to figure out how this works (Chase). I also feel a little bit conflicted in the moral sense, knowing ebuyusa is kind of a scam site.

I actually just like the black bezel better. Don't really care about Atmos.

It's super easy. File a claim at www.eclaimsline.com. You just need a screenshot of the sale price with a timestamp, your original invoice, and your credit card statement. Submit and wait for your check in the mail. For what it's worth, I read some people buy from ebuyusa legitimately, so your conscience can rest easy =P

And doesn't the B7A have a black bezel? I'm reading that it does..although I think the back is still silver.

Is that deal only available till 3:30??

No, that actually said 3pm yesterday, and I just ordered 2 hours ago

Audi

Neo Member
Wow, I was unaware of credit card price protection working with ebuyusa.

I will be getting that 75" Sony X900E sooner than I planned o_o

Ashhong

Wow, I was unaware of credit card price protection working with ebuyusa.

I will be getting that 75" Sony X900E sooner than I planned o_o

It works with pretty much any website that's not an auction sale. I've done price matches off of some pretty sketchy looking sites that I randomly found on Google.

Also for anyone looking at the deals on Dell, ebates is currently 10% cashback, which I've been able to stack on top of whatever the Discover cashback is at the moment.

kaizoku

I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be
So the soap opera effect on 4k TVs - is that what 4K is supposed to look like now? Or am I doing some setting wrong? It looks weird, too real if that makes sense. I'll adapt but just wanted to confirm that's the intended look....

MrFlooD

So the soap opera effect on 4k TVs - is that what 4K is supposed to look like now? Or am I doing some setting wrong? It looks weird, too real if that makes sense. I'll adapt but just wanted to confirm that's the intended look....

No, you need to turn the setting off. On LG sets it's called "True Motion"

e90Mark

Yea fuck it, I'm buying it right now. The OLED should be more than good enough for a long time. I don't need 8K support with HDMI 2.1 for years
I think HDMI 2.1 is a non-issue right now i your main TV purposes is movie/tv watching. Dolby Vision will carry the way of dynamic metadata hdr.

eARC is something I really want, but I think I can get around that with streaming devices.
Just thought I'd chime in....

I just upgraded from a Sony XBR8 55 inch to a LG C7 65.

Pros for me are the Black levels, viewing angle, and lower input lag (the sony had 85 ms in game mode)

Cons though, high gloss vs matte finish on the screen (makes for some mean reflections)

Suprises for me , the HDMI control stuff that allows a device to turn on the amp and the tv is super nice. works real well with an apple tv, just hit the apple remote and everything powers up.

Getting audio to go from the tv back to the amp via the hdmi cable. I didn't even know that was a thing. Needed for running netflix on the tv (for 4k) but wanting to hear 5.1 from the amp.

I thought the 10 inch increase in size would wow me, It's really not that noticable (the LG tv is actually slightly smaller than the Sony even with the larger screen)
The HDMI control stuff is referred to as CEC. Audio from TV back to the amp via HDMI is known as ARC.

I believe even the 2017 LG OLEDs do Atmos via ARC, on top of 5.1.

Ashhong

I think HDMI 2.1 is a non-issue right now i your main TV purposes is movie/tv watching. Dolby Vision will carry the way of dynamic metadata hdr.

eARC is something I really want, but I think I can get around that with streaming devices.

The HDMI control stuff is referred to as CEC. Audio from TV back to the amp via HDMI is known as ARC.

I believe even the 2017 LG OLEDs do Atmos via ARC, on top of 5.1.

I don't have much of a "home theater" setup, just a soundbar, so that stuff isn't too important to me yet.

And from what I read, Atmos via ARC can only be done through stuff like streaming content? For example you can't do PS4->TV->AVR and get Atmos, but I may be wrong. Saw it while I was browsing AVSforums

Has the KS8000 been renamed for the US? When I shop thru Samsung, they only show an MU8000, but it looks identical.

I believe KS8000 is 2016 while the MU8000 is 2017. People say the KS is better though. You can find it at BHphotovideo.com

I don't have much of a "home theater" setup, just a soundbar, so that stuff isn't too important to me yet.

And from what I read, Atmos via ARC can only be done through stuff like streaming content? For example you can't do PS4->TV->AVR and get Atmos, but I may be wrong. Saw it while I was browsing AVSforums

I believe KS8000 is 2016 while the MU8000 is 2017. People say the KS is better though. You can find it at BHphotovideo.com

No, it's been replaced. KS is out of the market now.

Sevenfold

Welp bought the 55B7. Input lag being close to the 17.5 of my Sony 55W955 I've run out of reasons to not 4k. It's a gorgeous set especially after staring at the beast of a wedge that is the 955 for over a year (we had good times but bye bye milky blacks) can confirm all good with mouse (phew!) and won't scale Windows Mail (x MS) huzzah.
Love the interface. Very Nintendo. Honestly within seconds of holding the remote I couldn't work out why this hasn't been the control method of choice for every post Wii tv. Clicking away to leave menus is awesome as is the scroll wheel enter button. That said I'm glad it's good because it looks like a £5 all in one remote. Dunno, gotten used to Sony and their very serious rows of buttons, it'll grow on me.

Going to have a play now ..:)

That's a sick deal you guys got on the B7. I bought my EG9100 2 years ago from Buydig, they're an authorized dealer and I had no problems.

After my PP check comes in my final price for my C6 will be $1280 after rewards points. Which if anyone is interested in for 3D purposes this is probably the last hurrah. http://www.ebay.com/itm/LG-OLED55C6...442608?hash=item2f093ccd70:g:AXUAAOSwHMJYN0zd

And then PP against ebuyusa at $1209 here http://www.ebuyusa.com/prodinfo.phtml?id=2875&ref=google&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cse

But if you don't care for 3D then get in on that B7 Buydig deal while you can. That's the lowest I've ever seen these go.

Mrbob

Bosch season 1 hdr and DV kind of sucks. I read it was one of the first hdr transfers so that is probably why. Following seasons supposed to be much better quality.

The Sony A1E is now at $2,998 on Amazon. Slowly getting to that initial $2,000 rumor price from last year lol.
That's good. I'm hoping Sony oleds are reasonable price wise when I upgrade again in 3 to 4 years.

Ashhong

Any trouble with eBay purchases? I've seen conflicting reports about price protecting something you bought off eBay, but I don't see why as long as the price you're matching to isn't eBay..

e90Mark

Any trouble with eBay purchases? I've seen conflicting reports about price protecting something you bought off eBay, but I don't see why as long as the price you're matching to isn't eBay..
You need to contact the eBay seller and ask them to send you an Invoice to use.

That's a sick deal you guys got on the B7. I bought my EG9100 2 years ago from Buydig, they're an authorized dealer and I had no problems.

After my PP check comes in my final price for my C6 will be $1280 after rewards points. Which if anyone is interested in for 3D purposes this is probably the last hurrah. http://www.ebay.com/itm/LG-OLED55C6...442608?hash=item2f093ccd70:g:AXUAAOSwHMJYN0zd

And then PP against ebuyusa at $1209 here http://www.ebuyusa.com/prodinfo.phtml?id=2875&ref=google&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cse

But if you don't care for 3D then get in on that B7 Buydig deal while you can. That's the lowest I've ever seen these go.
That ebay seller is good to work with. I bought my C6 from them and they sent me an Invoice to use for PP.

Soapbox Killer

Grand Nagus
What's DV?

When I started watching Bosch (great show btw, thanks for the assist) the top right of my TV flashed HDR. However when I watched The Grand Tour, it did not flash this notice. Is that Amazon Prime or my TV?

Also, I tried to watch The Revenant last night on Blu-ray Via the Xbox One (og) and it would look really bad, almost as if it was buffering or something. Not all the time and not only during action scenes. It was kinda "trippy" if that makes sense. Do I need a new HDMI cord or something?

MDave

Seems pretty hard to find new/not used 2016 OLED LG TV's in the UK, specifically the C6 as my nephew is wanting to get one. I have one, and he needs the curve for a very specific setup in his living room. Should I tell him to buy the C7 and I will swap it with him? :p I will miss the 3D, but I don't use it enough anyway. The lower input lag seems a good incentive for me!

julrik

Seems pretty hard to find new/not used 2016 OLED LG TV's in the UK, specifically the C6 as my nephew is wanting to get one. I have one, and he needs the curve for a very specific setup in his living room. Should I tell him to buy the C7 and I will swap it with him? :p I will miss the 3D, but I don't use it enough anyway. The lower input lag seems a good incentive for me!
I would.

Better near-blacks and shadow detail, higher brightness, and lower input lag is more important than 3D, in my opinion - but then again, I don't watch 3D content.

Ashhong

I know the Sony XE90 won't have DV, but will it get HDR10+?

I don't think anybody really knows. Some Sony CS people have even told callers that they would get DV, some said they wouldn't. Have to wait and see. To confirm, DV and HDR10+ are pretty much the same, except + is free right?

And has anybody had their TV delivered via FedEx before? Usually it comes in a special freight service but my 55" OLED is coming via FedEx. I wonder if I can schedule a delivery time like other services. And I hope they don't fuck it up...

Madness

Haha yeah I'm sure HDR10+ is a big deal but another HDR standard just convolutes things even more.

Not really. HDR10 is already the base standard going forward. More than qualitative and capable enough going forward. Dolby Vision already surpasses base HDR10 and so all DV televisions at least do that.

They state HDR10+ while being pushed by Samsung and Panasonic and Amazon has not gotten Blu-ray certification and as there are more than 2 dozen who got HDR10 certification to create the UHD Alliance Premium certification. Most flagship sets incorporate HDR10, DV and HLG already.

If anything, them pushing a different HDR spec means that least HDR10 level will used for almost all HDR content and electronics at least which is a far cry from today where we have most mid range and below sets which don't yet meet HDR10. Where are the HDR broadcasts? Where are the HDR10 reference quality discs, or HDR10 streams. We barely getting anything.

Once all televisions listed as "HDR" actually have quality wide color gamuts or 1000+ nits of sustained brightness we can then get into the DV and HDR10+ standards.

Mrbob

HDR10+ is big news.

The fact that it doesn't need HDMI 2.1 is also big.
Doesn't HDR10+ need HDMI 2.1 for disc based content or did something change? HDR10+ can be handled via online streaming because there aren't any bandwidth restrictions outside of streaming connection.

Haha yeah I'm sure HDR10+ is a big deal but another HDR standard just convolutes things even more.

To be fair HDR10+ and Dolby Vision are basically the next evolution of HDR10 though I expect HDR10 to stay around as the standard for a long time. We survived three audio formats (pcm, Dolby digital, DTS), I'm expecting the same thing with hdr. Most manufacturers end up supporting them all.

HDR10+ Dynamic Metadata Explained & Comparison Demo vs HDR10 (from Vincent Teoh)

Crossing my fingers that these things actually help us filthy low nit peasants

I really enjoyed watching this. Happy to hear Dolby Vision is now an official optional layer supported for 4k blu ray discs. Maybe it has been for awhile with some Dolby Vision discs starting to show up but it was good to hear it from Vincent that this is the case. Now we just need some more Dolby Vision players and movies.

longdi

Banned
Glad that oled continues to grow! The cheapest oled today perform as well as the highest end led.

Panasonic has a budget oled now, hoping Sony to sell a a2-lite next year. And then someone does a 40" oled hdr monitor soon. I prefer the Japanese picture processing over LG. Though LG has been boss with their oled and webos.

Samsung is so going to feel left out.

ToD_

It's not "Another HDR standard" though. It's an upgrade to HDR10 and will be the standard going forward. This isn't exactly HLG or something.

I think it is a little premature to call it the new standard going forward. Dolby Vision still has some advantages in terms of color range and peak brightness. HDR10+ was mainly developed due to Samsung not willing to pay the licensing costs associated with Dolby Vision. What remains to be seen is if all TV manufacturers and content providers will jump ship and support HDR10+. I have a feeling, realistically, the standards will coexist for a long time.

Of course, I do hope TVs bought in recent years will get firmware updates to support HDR10+ in order to support as many of these standards as possible. However, I realize this is wishful thinking. I find this splintering a pretty unfortunate situation.

Edit: I just read that even if current TVs get patched it will only be for internal streaming apps. This is because HDMI 2.1 on the TV and connected device is required in order to transmit HDR10+ data.

I love my TCL605, but im still butthurt that the 55" was my only option as I was hoping to upgrade to a 60-65" for the first time. Is there a comparable budget TV out there that I should look into in that size?

Top Bottom