• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Television Displays and Technology Thread: This is a fantasy based on OLED

e90Mark

I don't think anybody really knows. Some Sony CS people have even told callers that they would get DV, some said they wouldn't. Have to wait and see. To confirm, DV and HDR10+ are pretty much the same, except + is free right?

And has anybody had their TV delivered via FedEx before? Usually it comes in a special freight service but my 55" OLED is coming via FedEx. I wonder if I can schedule a delivery time like other services. And I hope they don't fuck it up...

My TV came via Fedex. Wasn't able to schedule a delivery, but I generally know when Fedex is in my neighborhood. It came fine.

They don't double box these for shipment. Just comes in their retail packaging.

Kyoufu

I think it is a little premature to call it the new standard going forward. Dolby Vision still has some advantages in terms of color range and peak brightness. HDR10+ was mainly developed due to Samsung not willing to pay the licensing costs associated with Dolby Vision. What remains to be seen is if all TV manufacturers and content providers will jump ship and support HDR10+. I have a feeling, realistically, the standards will coexist for a long time.

Of course, I do hope TVs bought in recent years will get firmware updates to support HDR10+ in order to support as many of these standards as possible. However, I realize this is wishful thinking. I find this splintering a pretty unfortunate situation.

Edit: I just read that even if current TVs get patched it will only be for internal streaming apps. This is because HDMI 2.1 on the TV and connected device is required in order to transmit HDR10+ data.

Well, that's dumb. DV can pull off dynamic metadata on HDMI 2.0 so I figured HDR10+ could do it outside of just streaming apps. :/

BumRush

Not really. HDR10 is already the base standard going forward. More than qualitative and capable enough going forward. Dolby Vision already surpasses base HDR10 and so all DV televisions at least do that.

They state HDR10+ while being pushed by Samsung and Panasonic and Amazon has not gotten Blu-ray certification and as there are more than 2 dozen who got HDR10 certification to create the UHD Alliance Premium certification. Most flagship sets incorporate HDR10, DV and HLG already.

If anything, them pushing a different HDR spec means that least HDR10 level will used for almost all HDR content and electronics at least which is a far cry from today where we have most mid range and below sets which don't yet meet HDR10. Where are the HDR broadcasts? Where are the HDR10 reference quality discs, or HDR10 streams. We barely getting anything.

Once all televisions listed as "HDR" actually have quality wide color gamuts or 1000+ nits of sustained brightness we can then get into the DV and HDR10+ standards.

Doesn't HDR10+ need HDMI 2.1 for disc based content or did something change? HDR10+ can be handled via online streaming because there aren't any bandwidth restrictions outside of streaming connection.

To be fair HDR10+ and Dolby Vision are basically the next evolution of HDR10 though I expect HDR10 to stay around as the standard for a long time. We survived three audio formats (pcm, Dolby digital, DTS), I'm expecting the same thing with hdr. Most manufacturers end up supporting them all.

I really enjoyed watching this. Happy to hear Dolby Vision is now an official optional layer supported for 4k blu ray discs. Maybe it has been for awhile with some Dolby Vision discs starting to show up but it was good to hear it from Vincent that this is the case. Now we just need some more Dolby Vision players and movies.

It's not "Another HDR standard" though. It's an upgrade to HDR10 and will be the standard going forward. This isn't exactly HLG or something.

Thanks for the clarification guys! Much appreciated!

Mrbob

Well, that's dumb. DV can pull off dynamic metadata on HDMI 2.0 so I figured HDR10+ could do it outside of just streaming apps. :/

Just buy Dolby Vision discs then? If you watch that HDTV Test HDR10+ video, Vincent stated Dolby Vision is an official optional layer on 4k UHD movies. He also stated HDR10+ currently isn't. It's unclear whether HDR10+ will be as popular as HDR10 but as of now it's no more of a standard than Dolby Vision. In fact it's technically less of a standard because Dolby Vision is already used heavily in online streaming apps and Dolby Vision is an approved optional layer for 4k uhd discs.

The only technical standard we have right now is HDR10 for 4k UHD movies. HDR10 isn't a standard for online streaming, and this is one of the reasons why there is more Dolby Vision content via online streaming than HDR10, though HDR10 is catching up. One of the nice things about the LG OLED is they support all these HDR formats available (HDR10+ notwithstanding but I wouldn't be surprised at a firmware update to support) so you don't have to worry about which format to use.

Kyoufu

Just buy Dolby Vision discs then? If you watch that HDTV Test HDR10+ video, Vincent stated Dolby Vision is an official optional layer on 4k UHD movies. He also stated HDR10+ currently isn't. It's unclear whether HDR10+ will be as popular as HDR10 but as of now it's no more of a standard than Dolby Vision. In fact it's technically less of a standard because Dolby Vision is already used heavily in online streaming apps and Dolby Vision is an approved optional layer for 4k uhd discs.

HDR10+ would have been nice for games on PS4 via software update.

Mrbob

Not requiring HDMI 2.1 for HDR10+ would be pretty big. Maybe Samsung and Pansonic realized that Dolby Vision not requiring HDMI 2.1 is a huge advantage.

HDR10+ would have been nice for games on PS4 via software update.

There is a software solution for Dolby Vision. Mass Effect Andromeda on PC supports Dolby Vision and it's supposed to be really good. I'd pay the 15 dollar fee for DV support on XB1 is MS offered it. They pass the cost onto the consumer for Dolby Atmos, they could do the same with Dolby Vision.

Kyoufu

According to this german news article HDR10+ doesn't require HDMI 2.1 and also works with HDMI 2.0.

http://www.areadvd.de/tests/ifa-201...dellreihen-exw754-und-hoeher-inklusive-oleds/

Even if that is true, then it doesn't automatically mean that all current TV's can (or will) be updated accordingly. Maybe only Panasonic TV's.
Similar to eARC that doesn't need HDMI 2.1 either.

Good. No reason why dynamic metadata would require more bandwidth than another format.

I think it is a little premature to call it the new standard going forward. Dolby Vision still has some advantages in terms of color range and peak brightness. HDR10+ was mainly developed due to Samsung not willing to pay the licensing costs associated with Dolby Vision. What remains to be seen is if all TV manufacturers and content providers will jump ship and support HDR10+. I have a feeling, realistically, the standards will coexist for a long time.

Of course, I do hope TVs bought in recent years will get firmware updates to support HDR10+ in order to support as many of these standards as possible. However, I realize this is wishful thinking. I find this splintering a pretty unfortunate situation.

Edit: I just read that even if current TVs get patched it will only be for internal streaming apps. This is because HDMI 2.1 on the TV and connected device is required in order to transmit HDR10+ data.

Where did you read that it needs 2.1?

ToD_

Where did you read that it needs 2.1?

I read this earlier on AVS, but I suppose that was misinformation or just old information. I stand corrected. Hopefully this means current and older sets have a bigger chance of receiving firmware updates for HDR10+ support.

I read this earlier on AVS, but I suppose that was misinformation or just old information. I stand corrected. Hopefully this means current and older sets have a bigger chance of receiving firmware updates for HDR10+ support.

Yeah you'd think so, but according to Steve Withers from AVF, Panny has told him that last year's flagship (also this year's too LCD wise) won't be getting it.

Ashhong

I did a quick search and it says it will require 2.1. Lost the link now. Maybe they updated the specs? Would be great if it didn't and they updated the B7, just for my own peace of mind

I think it may depend on your set if it gets a firmware update to support HDR10+ or if they force you to wait until HDMI 2.1 models are out.

This was info from Samsung regarding Samsung sets:

Here are the facts, confirmed via email from the product development director and the two leading engineers at Samsung:
There is no upgrade path for HDR10+ (AKA, "dynamic HDR 10") available ahead of the hardware update to HDMI 2.1 which is required to support HDR10+ from UHD Blu-Ray discs.
Model year 2016 Samsung HDR TVs can now support HDR10+ via streaming only; their HDMI 2.0a inputs will only support HDR10 from UHD Blu-Ray discs.
Model year 2017 Samsung HDR TVs can now support HDR10+ via streaming only; their HDMI 2.0b inputs will only support HDR10 from UHD Blu-Ray discs.
Model year 2018 Samsung HDR TVs will support HDR10+ via streaming as well as on their HDMI 2.1 inputs. "

This will currently only be available through streaming, as HDR10+ via HDMI will require HDMI 2.1, but according to Technical Director of HDMI LA, HDMI 2.1 may be firmware upgradeable as long as the HDMI chipset inside the TV was designed to be upgradable (this depends on the manufacturer):

https://cepro.ehmedia.co/webinar-registration11706805

Samsung's 2015 models have an upgradeable HDMI chipset, and some believe that the 2016 models do as well, so there's a chance we could get an HDMI 2.1 update, which would allow us to have HDR10+ for games/4K blu rays.

Ashhong

Lame.

Speaking of, has anybody noticed issues with FALD and subtitles? I watch everything with subs and I notice on my Vizio E3, which isn't the best tv obviously, when subtitles come and go I can clearly see the lighting go dark or bright around it. It's pretty annoying and doesn't look good at all. I might just turn it off

Jigolo

Pretty much confirms 2.1 in 2018 sets, no?

If that's right I'm glad it's coming sooner rather than later. Put them on TVs now and let the accessories come later. The jump from 2.0 to 2.1 is too big. Next year and up seems like a good time to upgrade

Caayn

Philips' series 9 OLED with Ambilight. Gorgeous.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N10ySICXKgk
I love the Ambilight on Philips TVs'. I've owned a Philips 55PUS9109 and the Ambilight on it was glorious.

If they fix the issues with stability (random crashes of the TV even when not using the Smart TV section) and general UI design my next TV will be a Philips again.

Also is this the first OLED to have an advertised peak brightness of 900cm/d²?

I love the Ambilight on Philips TVs'. I've owned a Philips 55PUS9109 and the Ambilight on it was glorious.

If they fix the issues with stability (random crashes of the TV even when not using the Smart TV section) and general UI design my next TV will be a Philips again.

Also is this the first OLED to have an advertised peak brightness of 900cm/d²?

Yes but you can bet your arse that's in dynamic.

psychotron

For the Sony XE90 owners; how's HDR gaming on the set? Decent?

It's a literal game changer. I want it for every game now. The only time HDR can be iffy on it is during a movie with black bars. Some scenes you can see the FALD has trouble compensating for the extreme brightness next to the black bars, so they get lighter. Not always, but it's there. That said, gaming is incredible, even on a dark game like The Surge.

Ashhong

Would anybody recommend an Xbox One S as my one and only dedicated 4k player? With my OLED coming soon I'm wondering if I should start getting 4kcontent. Is the XBS considered a good 4k player?

julrik

Fantastic, actually

It's a literal game changer. I want it for every game now. The only time HDR can be iffy on it is during a movie with black bars. Some scenes you can see the FALD has trouble compensating for the extreme brightness next to the black bars, so they get lighter. Not always, but it's there. That said, gaming is incredible, even on a dark game like The Surge.
Thanks, guys. Sounds good. Some might call me crazy, but I'm considering selling my 55" LG E6 and getting a 65" Sony XE90/X900E this fall.

Fowler

Anyone here with a Sony A1 OLED and PS4 Pro? Weird problem cropping up recently. After about 5 mins, a grey screen with the Bravia logo in the bottom right appears while playing PS4 (and only PS4). It's not my screensaver, and after switching the TV on and off it won't come back for the rest of the play session. It didn't happen for the first month or so, but happens all the time now. Can't figure it out and having trouble Googling it given the generic nature of the problem. Any other A1 owners here?

Kyoufu

Anyone here with a Sony A1 OLED and PS4 Pro? Weird problem cropping up recently. After about 5 mins, a grey screen with the Bravia logo in the bottom right appears while playing PS4 (and only PS4). It's not my screensaver, and after switching the TV on and off it won't come back for the rest of the play session. It didn't happen for the first month or so, but happens all the time now. Can't figure it out and having trouble Googling it given the generic nature of the problem. Any other A1 owners here?

Could be HDCP issues. Try disabling HDCP in your PS4 system settings.

I'm considering returning my ku6000, a 2016 samsung to Amazon. It processes HDR, but I don't think its real HDR as only the higher end sets have the luminosity to do real HDR.

It is kinda annoying how expensive all the sets with real HDR are. And how they still market tons of TVs with HDR, but its not really HDR. Always pushing bullshit marketing terms, and confusing and muddying things for no reason in the process.

julrik

Why?

I get that 65" is awesome, but so is OLED. What's pushing you away from the E6?
What's pushing me away is the motion performance, the poor near-black performance and shadow detail, that it's relatively dim, the magenta reflection tint, the vertical banding stripes, and that the colour gamut is locked to Wide/Vivid in Game Mode, with no white balance controls.

XE90/X900E looks like it's right up my alley, to be honest. Better motion, brighter, great uniformity, FALD - great blacks and only a small amount of blooming, and one can calibrate every mode, including game mode, if one wishes to do so. Also, the extra 10 inches.

What's pushing me away is the motion performance, the poor near-black performance and shadow detail, that it's relatively dim, the magenta reflection tint, the vertical banding stripes, and that the colour gamut is locked to Wide/Vivid in Game Mode, with no white balance controls.

XE90/X900E looks like it's right up my alley, to be honest. Better motion, brighter, great uniformity, FALD - great blacks and only a small amount of blooming, and one can calibrate every mode, including game mode, if one wishes to do so. Also, the extra 10 inches.

That makes a high-end OLED sound pretty bad :)

FWIW though, there's very little of all that in the X900E. Just remember that no TV is perfect. This one has some clouding and it slows to a crawl if you're trying to navigate the menu while watching 4K HDR Netflix. Pretty sure overall IQ doesn't match the E6 either.

psychotron

So I've been pretty fine with the amount of DSE on my 900e. Not perfect, but mostly okay. That is until I put in Breath of the Wild today. Holy fuck I can't turn the camera without it looking like I have dirty lines everywhere! At night it's okay, but during the day, the colors and dusty haze the game has just make it look bad. My only other experience has been on my ST50 which I don't remember being as bad. Does it look bad on other tv's?

I'm in Japan and a lot of TVs & brands here aren't available overseas, and so i had a real tough time deciding what to buy recently. Figured i'd post my impressions for the Toshiba 43" Z700X i ended up with, for the few people who might be in a similar situation!

I was looking for 43" ... the Sony X9000E/X900E only goes down to 49" and i'd read a few bad things about the latest X8000E that is available in 43". Toshiba's similar model BZ710X is also 49" and up. Only Panasonic has 43" in this years range. I really didn't want to go 49" for cost and room size reasons, so i was still looking around.

The store still had last years Toshiba X700X in 43" available. The main thing it's missing from this years model is a "Bazooka" audio system. I have a baby so i use headphones most of the time, so that's not a feature i'm concerned with. The older model actually does 9 DTV simultaneous vs 3 on the newer, so it seemed like more of a feature swap rather than being outright better. Side by side with the Panasonic, i couldn't really tell a difference, other than the several thousand yen in the newer Panny's price tag! I had a little doubt, should i be going for the 49" Sony since it's been so well reviewed? It's VA panel definitely looked nicer than the models they had next to it. But, Toshiba is the only manufacturer here that really promotes their game mode/input lag, and price and size being a factor, i took a gamble...

It's 4K HDR, IPS, direct LED with area control. When i first hooked up my PS4, the input delay was horridly noticeable right on the user select screen and i was pretty panicked! Switched to game mode and it felt instant, breathed a huge sigh of relief. I'm not particularly susceptible to input delay in most games, i've only really had it bother me in a few racing games with boost start mechanics. So i put PS3 Daytona USA on and got the rocket start first time with several attempts, where on previous sets i've had trouble doing that. Played some fighting games after that and had no issues there either.

The picture itself is great. I don't have a PS4 Pro, so no 4k games, but upscaled 1080P seems great, only a fraction of softness (i'm sitting about a metre away). 4k YouTube is all i can test atm so not the best source, but when it's going good, it has incredible clarity. It handles fast motion well, racing games right through to Sonic Mania, i haven't noticed any blur that shouldn't be there. HDR is impressive, i've tried Wipeout Omega & Horizon. Everything seems richer although i must admit, i thought they both looked spectacular without HDR too. I should rig up a side by side to really see the difference.

I tried Arkham Knight to test out some blacks. I mostly play in dim lighting and at first i noticed some uneven cloudiness to a blank screen, particularly in the bottom right corner. But, the backlight was set quite bright by default, i lowered it down a bit and it's evenly black now, without overly dimming the display. There's a separate black level adjustment that can go right down to nothing without losing detail in shadows. In a pitch black room you can tell it's not OLED black, but it's pretty damn good. The LED area control has an Auto setting and Manual 1min-10max setting... it's a bit vague what that's actually doing since i don't notice much difference between the settings. Colours are rich and natural by default, i only fiddled with them a bit to match my preference.

I've also given it a solid shakedown for retro gaming with the XRGB Mini. Have posted a stack of photos in the scanline screenshot thread that i think speak for themselves, i'm super happy with the way it looks (and again, the lag must very low because even with the XRGB adding more, i was able to reliably MAXIMUM POWER in Wave Race 64!)

Some little things that i really like - the menus are super responsive. I don't like the idea of Android running on Sony, and Panasonic uses a Firefox derived OS? I think Toshiba's is proprietary... whatever it is, it's snappy as. A huge improvement over the last TV i bought (a 32" Sony from before they used Android). The set also has a fantastic "Source info" view that displays all the info you'd ever need, none of my previous TVs even showed the resolution, so that's a great improvement! It even has a histogram view, maybe that's standard nowadays, but it's new to me :)

Overall i'm really pleased with it as you can probably tell. The store has a 55" version of this model that i'm hoping will still be there in 3 months when i need to get something for the living room, because i'd happily buy it again, and for the price saving... yeah sometimes it really makes sense going for last years model!

ag-my001

Spent the morning looking at local inventory, then checking back to rtings.com to see what they say. They definitely push the TCL S405 over the Samsung MU6300, noting that the gains in the latter don't justify the cost jump. But what if I've found the Samsung for only $499? The MSRP seems to be around $750, so does the nice reduction justify the splurge?

This is for a general use screen (tv, Netflix, Switch).
The TCL is the 49", Samsung is 50".

Sanctuary

Even without the price difference, I would have given a resounding "NO!" as well. A friend actually bought an Xbox One S specifically to hook up to my B6 and watch some UHDs, despite me telling him repeatedly that it's a bad idea, and that if he was wanting it for himself, for his future 4K set (like a year from now at least) to simply hold off and wait until a sale, or the price lowers. He didn't listen. We went through approximately twenty UHDs, some of which were the best at the time for image quality.

I had already been reading about how both the HDR was (maybe they fixed it) handled poorly on the Xbox One S and how the colors were not accurate (and they still aren't compared to most of the other standalones), but even those issues aside, it was slow as shit for loading and would also freeze quite often. Just about nothing really blew me away picture quality wise either compared to what I had been already using previously with my PC anyway upscaling 1080p to 4K. You could tell some subtle differences with certain textures, but you had to really be looking for them, and at a casual glance, most things looked the same, even scenes that should have had obvious HDR.

A few months later I was finally able to try out the Sony and the Oppo. Both of which are better in pretty much every way over the S for UHDs, but then that's all they are good for, and one is double the price.

Mrbob

I wish the Sony x800 added Dolby vision support... Literally the only thing I'm waiting on and I would dump my xb1s as my 4k uhd player.

Ashhong

Huh, I thought the LG OLED were good for gaming? And poor black performance, what? Never heard of these issues for an OLED TV..

Ouch thanks. I thought I might get one for games and movies but.... yeesh. Love my ps3 for Blu-ray. Wish the pro had 4k, what a blunder by Sony

Kambing

I just read that Toshiba is introducing their own OLED soon and it will be lower priced than LG. If it's just as good or even close really remains to be seen though. Also apparently it won't be Toshiba itself making the TV but rather Turkish brand Vestel.

I read it on Dutch website Tweakers.net but here's a link for everyone

https://www.whathifi.com/news/toshiba-back-4k-hdr-oled-and-alexa-enabled-tvs

Yeah, the more players after the panels, the better. I also read that the Toshiba have a claimed 1ms input lag. That's bonkers when coupled with the instant pixel response!

Yeah, the more players after the panels, the better. I also read that the Toshiba have a claimed 1ms input lag. That's bonkers when coupled with the instant pixel response!

That would be insane but we don't yet know if it can rival the picture quality of LG and Sony. I heard from some folks that Vestel ain't the best. But we shall see.

Ashhong

Does anybody have recommendations for cheap wall mounts? I don't need a full motion one for my B7 but I also don't want to be hassled if I want to switch cables and whatnot. So as slim as possible while also being movable? The mount for the B7 are towards the bottom too so I don't know if I need one with shorter arms or if I'll be ok with just moving the arms higher

Stiler

That's weird, The e6 is generally considered to have great motion performance and since it's an oled the blacks should be superb.

Top Bottom