• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Television Displays and Technology Thread: This is a fantasy based on OLED

MazeHaze

Banned
Thanks!

The thing that worries me the most is the difference in input lag for gaming. The Samsung has 24ms where the Sony has 34ms. Is this at all noticeable?
I owned a Samsung KS8000, which has 22ms in game mode and 37 ms in PC mode. Sometimes it would auto switch to PC mode when I booted the PC, and I wouldn't notice the difference at all unless I was playing an fps with a mouse. With a controller it's perfectly fine imo.

Edit: and even with a mouse, the difference wasn't huge at all. Anything under 40 feels fine to me, it was just very very slightly less responsive.

diminishing returns are a thing no matter how much money someone has
We're going to talk about diminishing returns in a thread about $2000 OLED TVs? Come now. There's much more to TVs than just the panel, and you don't need me to explain the differences.

Ashhong

The answer is quite easy for all of you

Get the Sony

:)

If I could afford the Sony OLED, I'd go for that, but else, the XE 90/93 are my favourite sets right now

And no, you likely won't notice the input lag at all. Motion is great on it, and good motion makes games feel more responsive

How much does Sony pay you???

nomis

We're going to talk about diminishing returns in a thread about $2000 OLED TVs? Come now. There's much more to TVs than just the panel, and you don't need me to explain the differences.

I don’t malign you for having a preference, I just think that if you honestly put a Sony A1E above an LG B series with a GTX 1080Ti, you’re weird

How much does Sony pay you???
I don't even know what the fuck that's supposed to mean

There's plenty of people pushing LG OLEDs in here, just sharing my own experience
I don’t malign you for having a preference, I just think that if you honestly put a Sony A1E above an LG B series with a GTX 1080Ti, you’re weird
That's a very silly distinction to start making imo. We're talking really high-end and expensive TVs here. Don't act like LG OLED is the budget brand. I think a fairer comparison would be the LG E7 and the Sony A1, given their audio capabilities.

e90Mark

Wanted to update potential Apple TV 5 buyers.

Looks like there is an HDR DV 24hz option, so 2016 LG's will be able to play DV with the ATV. Not sure what The Verge review was all about, but seems rushed.

Personally, still glad I passed as I can't be bothered to change the fucking display settings just to watch my various content.

Would reconsider with a Native Output option, now that Atmos is supposedly on the roadmap.

Ashhong

Too many people on GAF are serious when they say shit like that, it's hard to tell

Nah, when there are multiple question marks, it's meant as a joke!

I just see you always pushing the Sony over the LG. I've only seen the Sony at the store and LG in my home, but I have no complaints. Then again, my LG B7 was as cheap as, if not cheaper than a Sony X900E.

MazeHaze

Banned
This one, if you can afford it

I mean, the differences are obvious and well-documented
Sure, but the question was is it worth 1000 dollars difference. I think it definitely is not. Obviously the Sony is aan amazing display, but if you're crunching a budget, the LG OLED comes very very close, for substantially less money.

Edit: bottom line, the LG and the SONY are two of the best displays money can buy. You won't be disappointed with either.

Wanted to update potential Apple TV 5 buyers.

Looks like there is an HDR DV 24hz option, so 2016 LG's will be able to play DV with the ATV. Not sure what The Verge review was all about, but seems rushed.

Personally, still glad I passed as I can't be bothered to change the fucking display settings just to watch my various content.

Would reconsider with a Native Output option, now that Atmos is supposedly on the roadmap.

I am right there with you Mark =)

Flipside

Thanks for the replies everyone.

I think I should just go with the XE9005 then. It has 34ms vs the 24ms on the Samsung Q7F but it seems that the 10ms better input lag is the only real improvement over the Sony. Since I'm mainly a console gamer I don't think I would notice this difference. It's just the feeling that you want the input lag as low as possible :)

Are there any Q7F owners (or previous owners) who really like that panel by the way? The peak brightness seems awesome in store but I wonder how good it is for everyday use.

Thanks for the replies everyone.

I think I should just go with the XE9005 then. It has 34ms vs the 24ms on the Samsung Q7F but it seems that the 10ms better input lag is the only real improvement over the Sony. Since I'm mainly a console gamer I don't think I would notice this difference. It's just the feeling that you want the input lag as low as possible :)

Are there any Q7F owners (or previous owners) who really like that panel by the way? The peak brightness seems awesome in store but I wonder how good it is for everyday use.

34 vs 24 is quite a bit of difference, especially if you play shooters. Almost a full frame.

Just a thought.

Nah, when there are multiple question marks, it's meant as a joke!

I just see you always pushing the Sony over the LG. I've only seen the Sony at the store and LG in my home, but I have no complaints. Then again, my LG B7 was as cheap as, if not cheaper than a Sony X900E.
Well, yeah :) I just returned my C7 so I'd say that's proof enough I wasn't quite in love with it!

If I'm pushing anything, it's a wait for 2018 models. I don't think any sets from the school of 2017 can be recommended wholeheartedly. I've enjoyed my time with the Sony the most, so that's the one I recommend when people want to buy now.
Sure, but the question was is it worth 1000 dollars difference. I think it definitely is not. Obviously the Sony is aan amazing display, but if you're crunching a budget, the LG OLED comes very very close, for substantially less money.

Edit: bottom line, the LG and the SONY are two of the best displays money can buy. You won't be disappointed with either.
Sure, and that's fair. Audio and design do factor into the equation, and on that the Sony A1 sits somewhere between the E7 and the W7. I also reckon the better motion, upscaling, colour accuracy and tonemapping can be worth the extra cash to those who have it.

I am thinking of buying this and I do not have a UHD player.

I bought three over the last couple months and didn’t have one. And with the move my 203 will prolly be in the box for another 4-6 weeks.

Can’t hurt if you’re thinking you’ll buy one eventually right?

III-V

I bought three over the last couple months and didn’t have one. And with the move my 203 will prolly be in the box for another 4-6 weeks.

Can’t hurt if you’re thinking you’ll buy one eventually right?

Just want to make sure I have one with the strange shortages.

Ok so the Xbox One S from my friend that I can borrow has arrived and I started Gears 4 up right away and while JD on the main menu was insanely dim in HDR game mode, during gameplay itself it was quite alright to be honest. Sure it's still significantly darker than HDR bright and vivid but it's very similar to HDR Standard.

I've loaded the chapter with the lightning and that looks great. The lightning itself is very bright and almost blinding. It definitely isn't like that with SDR.

Oh I tried using dynamic contrast at high to make HDR game mode less dim but it messed with the colors and fixes very little. Well for Gears that is.

Smokey

Any suggestions on what to watch/play first on my B6 once I have the remote this week? I bought the LG UHD player along with Planet Earth II, Revenant, and Kong Skull Island. I already have PEII on standard Blu, but I know it's ref quality and double dipped on UHD. Ive heard the same about Revenant and haven't seen the movie at all as I was waiting until I got a 4k set.

On the gaming aide I've got a Pro and a bunch of games. Horizon, UC4, Ratchet, Destiny 2 etc.

From waht I understand I want to run in Game Mode with HDR Standard, and DO NOT download the latest 5.xx firmware, is this correct? Anything I need to do on PS4 Pro itself?

holygeesus

Banned
YMMV with the latest firmware 5.xx as it has been a great update for me. Subtle picture improvement, improved motion and no glowing blacks. HLG addition is not important but nice to have in case it is ever useful.

Kambing

I have a 21ms TV, and an 38ms set next to each other, and I can't tell any difference between them.

Do you use either TV's as a PC or and with a mouse? On a gamepad I can still feel the difference between 20, 30 or 40 ms -- though the difference is WAY less apparent than with a mouse. In essence it's something that I can adjust to. The analog precision of a mouse on the other hand feels awful with anything higher than 25ms in my experience. This is particularly magnified when moving the cursor in the desktop or FPS games, less so in 3rd person games.

Hawk269

Can anyone that has a LG Series 7 set post what you are using for the following;

1.) What do you have color set at for both SDR and HDR game mode?
2.) What color temp do you have set for SDR and HDR Game mode? When using game mode the TV changes it to a slider instead of selecting Warm 1 or Warm 2 for etc.

Thanks!

Pretty much this. If you can get them close enough in price to where you're not worrying about it then it's worth it since the A1E is an amazing TV, but the LG is so close for most viewers (some like it more for some features as well, Edit: and lower input lag if the difference between the two sets lag is noticeable to you) that if the price difference is pretty high and you're thinking about budget then it's a tough call to recommend someone spend that much more.

Minus this apparent LG dim HDR game mode firmware update thing.

holygeesus

Banned
What OLED model?

B6 UK. Some people are reporting glowing blacks though so tread carefully. It's working great for me though. By glowing I mean on a black screen, the TV doesn't disappear when watched in a dark room - the black level is elevated slightly. It's all good here though so it seems odd that some people see the issue and others don't. For what it is worth, my OLED Light is quite low (40) which might make a difference, but shouldn't.

Kambing

Pretty much this. If you can get them close enough in price to where you're not worrying about it then it's worth it since the A1E is an amazing TV, but the LG is so close for most viewers (some like it more for some features as well) that if the price difference is pretty high and you're thinking about budget then it's a tough call to recommend someone spend that much more.

Minus this apparent LG dim HDR game mode firmware update thing.

Even if the price were the same, heck even if the Sony was cheaper, the 2017 LG would be a better buy. Considering the majority use case here on GAF (assumption on my part), I can't see how it would be otherwise. It's second in running to the Panasonic OLED for home theater use (picture quality) and has lower input lag.

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/40-ol...otout-results-oled-sweeps-all-categories.html

https://www.soundandvision.com/content/lg-oled-sweeps-2017-tv-shootout

I take back what I said, HDR game mode is bullshit and the complaints are very warranted. It totally doesn't show the benefits of your OLED at all.

At the moment i am using HDR bright with most stuff kept at default and noise reductions off and everything. Forza Horizon 3 looks great that way. With HDR game mode dim as all hell. It doesn't matter for this game because you don't need a low input lag all that bad but for shooters, sjeesh.

Even if the price were the same, heck even if the Sony was cheaper, the 2017 LG would be a better buy. Considering the majority use case here on GAF (assumption on my part), I can't see how it would be otherwise. It's second in running to the Panasonic OLED for home theater use (picture quality) and has lower input lag.

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/40-ol...otout-results-oled-sweeps-all-categories.html

Input lag isn't everything :)

Input lag isn't everything :)

This :)

Aside from the dim game mode, the differences are so minor it is definitely not worth the 1k diff in price for most. The dim game mode is horse shit though.

Yup.
Kambing did bring up the theoretical of the A1E being the cheaper set though too.

That's why I said some like it better for certain features, yes though I should have also included lower input lag (already edited in), but it's not a no-brainer especially if the amount of increase between them in lag isn't noticeable to you since the A1E does do a few picture and motion (cool for gaming too) things better too (these are both ridiculously good sets), in the theoretical situation where the A1E were the cheaper set. The shootout thread or some article about it said that the TVs were pretty even despite the sweep since it was mentioned that before the time of the shootout while the TVs were being setup one or two of them thought the A1E looked better or just as good compared to on the day of the shootout where the LG swept. I believe the A1E was the honorable mention due to this. They also likely prefer that the LG had a full color management system which the Sonys never do.

Oh shit, I do love the option on Xbox that you can disable/enable HDR on the fly. Because that way you truly see the difference. The difference is quite noticeable in FH3. The sky and sunlight are much more vivid and alive, for lack of a better word.

Aside from the dim game mode, the differences are so minor it is definitely not worth the 1k diff in price for most. The dim game mode is horse shit though.

It really is horse shit indeed. And it's really starting to look like LG is not going to change it. And I doubt it's to prevent IR because take FH3 for example, it's not like every single thing in the game is crazy bright or anything. I really wish LG would just give us the option and "at our own risk" for all I care.

Colbert

Banned
Oh shit, I do love the option on Xbox that you can disable/enable HDR on the fly. Because that way you truly see the difference. The difference is quite noticeable in FH3. The sky and sunlight are much more vivid and alive, for lack of a better word.

Where can you do that? Is this an option on the preview or the current UI?

Hawk269

All settings > display and sound > video output > advanced video settings > allow HDR. :)

I am in Preview but I don't have the very latest update yet.

Colbert: That option is in the Video settings like MosSmasher mentioned. It has been in there for a while.

From reading reviews, doesn't the LG still have a brighter Game HDR mode than the Sony A1E? I thought I had read for HDR gaming the LG still came out on top slightly. I am nearing my last days for my return policy on my LG E7 and while my panel has not had issues with banding, I wonder if I should have gone with the Sony. I am loving the LG so far, but you know it is that "is the grass greener" situation. I almost pulled the trigger and ordered the A1E to have them both in the house to test but the wife put a stop to that idea in a heart beat. lol.

Since I got the E7 at a great deal, I may just stay with it. Using the trick and putting the HDMI input and changing the icon to PC and with the latest firmware, the input lag in other HDR picture mode is the same as in Game Mode. I am currently using Standard which is substantially brighter than game mode and it looks great. I just don't like having to switch when watching a HDR movie (I use my Xbox One S for UHD movies).

Do you use either TV's as a PC or and with a mouse? On a gamepad I can still feel the difference between 20, 30 or 40 ms -- though the difference is WAY less apparent than with a mouse. In essence it's something that I can adjust to. The analog precision of a mouse on the other hand feels awful with anything higher than 25ms in my experience. This is particularly magnified when moving the cursor in the desktop or FPS games, less so in 3rd person games.

Pads, but I remember on my last set, PC mode was 60ms, and felt horrible when using a mouse.

Oh man HDR in Forza 7,lovely. Especially when you then disable HDR you instantly notice how much duller the visuals are. Finally I'm seeing the greatness of HDR.

ReCore looks great too even if it looks a bit extreme. It's like Joule has been in the sun for hours on end, lol.

Top Bottom