• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Television Displays and Technology Thread: This is a fantasy based on OLED

ToD_

To my knowledge there isn't a single streaming box that switches modes. The Roku, Apple TV, and chromecast all just do 60Hz. It's unfortunate because we have to rely on our TVs to do the proper pulldown and display content at the appropriate rate. Not all TVs do it or do it very well. The majority of content provided (movies and shows) is in 24p, so it boggles the mind why none of the boxes offer that feature.

Weevilone

To my knowledge there isn't a single streaming box that switches modes. The Roku, Apple TV, and chromecast all just do 60Hz. It's unfortunate because we have to rely on our TVs to do the proper pulldown and display content at the appropriate rate. Not all TVs do it or do it very well. The majority of content provided (movies and shows) is in 24p, so it boggles the mind why none of the boxes offer that feature.

I'm thinking the Shield TV does, but I'll have to confirm. I generally use it unless I want Dolby Vision, then I use the built in apps.

I'm looking at 4K blu-rays to pick up a few with my new tv this week and man, the majority of them are just still 2k upscales, dominating so many new releases. Even if the film was shot at 4K, the digital intermediate wastes it to 2k.

e90Mark

I'm looking at 4K blu-rays to pick up a few with my new tv this week and man, the majority of them are just still 2k upscales, dominating so many new releases. Even if the film was shot at 4K, the digital intermediate wastes it to 2k.

True, but I wouldn't worry about this. Most of the reference quality discs out there for UHD are 2k upscales.

What about an Android box with Kodi installed?
I'm running Kodi on my HTPC and it switches without any problems.

e90Mark

I really want to jump into a Shield but I'm expecting an update or a new Android TV any day now...maybe I'll just wait until the Google event in October

All the stuff for that event is leaking weeks ahead. Maybe they have something though.

It's a good device. Just wish Android 8 update would be available for it already.

Ashhong

All the stuff for that event is leaking weeks ahead. Maybe they have something though.

It's a good device. Just wish Android 8 update would be available for it already.

Yea I know it's a good device...but it's long overdue imo for another Android TV box. What is Google's holdup with this? There was the MiBox which I also have but the support just isn't there. Ridiculous imo

My price match for the LG B7 got approved today! Took about a week and now I'm 500$ richer. $1000 for a 55" B7 OLED is a damn steal

e90Mark

Yea I know it's a good device...but it's long overdue imo for another Android TV box. What is Google's holdup with this? There was the MiBox which I also have but the support just isn't there. Ridiculous imo

My price match for the LG B7 got approved today! Took about a week and now I'm 500$ richer. $1000 for a 55" B7 OLED is a damn steal

Well the Shield was just updated this year. Yeah, there wasn't a spec bump, but it's still (was? A10x fusion) the most powerful streaming box. As far as a feature set, it's really only missing DV. You could argue VP9 Profile 2 as well, I guess. Might be the only thing the MiBox has over the Shield.

Speak of the devil, I guess. New SKU for the Shield to come without the controller for $179. Can't be undercut by the new ATV. :)

This Saturday I'm borrowing my friend's Xbox One S and that means I will be tinkering with HDR in my 65B6 finally, properly tinkering and taking my time with it.

So I'm gonna check out Gears 4,Forza Horizon Horizon 3,Hitman, Recore and MEA. What should I be looking for in Gears 4 and FH3? Is it the sunlight, nighttime and colors in general in FH3 and the lightning in Gears 4? I'm testing these games now on my OG Xbox One, so that I can see the real difference between non HDR and HDR.

It was $2300 in July! The 65" was $3300 and I'm expecting to get it for $2000 out of pocket.

ToD_

Congrats on the price match approval! That's a steal.

I still have to take care of mine for the C7. I see Ebuyusa actually increased the C7 price (I did take a picture of the lower price they had before), so I'll wait a bit to see if it comes down again.

Ashhong

Well the Shield was just updated this year. Yeah, there wasn't a spec bump, but it's still (was? A10x fusion) the most powerful streaming box. As far as a feature set, it's really only missing DV. You could argue VP9 Profile 2 as well, I guess. Might be the only thing the MiBox has over the Shield.

Speak of the devil, I guess. New SKU for the Shield to come without the controller for $179. Can't be undercut by the new ATV. :)

The price cut makes me think even MORE that they might have a new model coming soon lol. Decisions decisions

LG
Software
Fucking
Sucks

Seriously

I never anticipated returning a fucking OLED

Yea..a little disheartening. But I love my TV so far so I hope that will last.

It was $2300 in July! The 65" was $3300 and I'm expecting to get it for $2000 out of pocket.

I can't tell if the prices are dropping or I just got a damn good deal haha.

Congrats on the price match approval! That's a steal.

I still have to take care of mine for the C7. I see Ebuyusa actually increased the C7 price (I did take a picture of the lower price they had before), so I'll wait a bit to see if it comes down again.

Dont forget you only have 90 days total, and for Chase you need to submit it within 21 days of finding the deal. Mine was at $500 price match so I wasn't going to get any more no matter what

ToD_

Dont forget you only have 90 days total, and for Chase you need to submit it within 21 days of finding the deal. Mine was at $500 price match so I wasn't going to get any more no matter what

True. I still have time, however. I may even be OK until Black Friday, but I don't think I'll wait that long.

Do you think I should just submit now with the screenshot I took of the website when they had the lower price? It's definitely still within 21 days of finding the deal but it's no longer at that price. I can also wait and see if it comes down again. I suspect it will.

Dosia

Im hoping to get a 65" C7 for $1500 (after PP) around black Friday. Seen them get down to 1800 this yr so seems reasonable.

Ashhong

True. I still have time, however. I may even be OK until Black Friday, but I don't think I'll wait that long.

Do you think I should just submit now with the screenshot I took of the website when they had the lower price? It's definitely still within 21 days of finding the deal but it's no longer at that price. I can also wait and see if it comes down again. I suspect it will.

Yea it doesn't matter if the price changed as long as you have the screenshot with the price and a time/date. Might as well wait for the 21 days.

Also, the 21 days is the deadline to start your claim, at least for Chase. You can submit the claim with no photos and documents and then you'll have like another 30 or so to submit documents

Im hoping to get a 65" C7 for $1500 (after PP) around black Friday. Seen them get down to 1800 this yr so seems reasonable.

Say what?? Where was this 1800 price? The cheapest I saw was a 65" B7 for that price

Theonik

I wouldn't personally bother with the LG player. The Sony and Panasonic ones are great. Oppo was kind of a flop but they've been fixing it in Software.

Kudo

Lots of people unhappy with LG software updates, should I update my B7 when I receive it or is there something wrong with firmware for it?
Or is it the last years models that get the short end of the stick?

Ashhong

Lots of people unhappy with LG software updates, should I update my B7 when I receive it or is there something wrong with firmware for it?
Or is it the last years models that get the short end of the stick?

I worry about this too. People keep saying that LG plans to update the 2017 models as well. I just turned off auto update. I see no reason to update it if nothings broken at the moment.

Kyoufu

But virtually no disc content. It does really only leave the OPPO if you absolutely must have it though.

Having said that Panasonic's video handling advantage over its peers more than makes up for the lack of DV.

Not on OLED TVs it doesn't. HDR10+ will be Panasonic's solution to Dolby Vision, I guess.

BumRush

Yeah I wouldn't have cared before either, but we closed on a house and I'm in the middle of designing the HT layout and planning to do 5.1.4 as of right now, so I'll take Atmos wherever I can get it (even though I've heard nothing but really great things about the updated Dolby Surround processing).

Congrats on the house dude!

Ashhong

I wonder how Apple TV supporting DV but not 10+ will affect the market. Is ATV even that popular?

Does XBox One X have either or?

Kyoufu

Why do you think DV is required?

Because DV is superior to HDR10 in retaining bright highlights on content that is mastered at 1000 to 4000 nits on low brightness TVs, like OLEDs.

I wonder how Apple TV supporting DV but not 10+ will affect the market. Is ATV even that popular?

Does XBox One X have either or?

Nothing stopping Microsoft and Apple from adopting HDR10+ if they wanted to. Maybe they will in 2018 like the rest of the industry.

aaaaa0

This is why I'm holding out for HDMI 2.1.

4K@120 hz divides evenly into 24, 30, and 60 hz. Plus if the TV supports VRR, the display can sync to whatever hz the source wants to render at (like irregular refresh rates for video games).

Dosia

Say what?? Where was this 1800 price? The cheapest I saw was a 65" B7 for that price

I think it was beachcamera and if you called in they were doing 2350. You could then use those suspect websites to get the $500 back for price protection.

I expect the prices to be in the 2k-2200 range for black friday.

Whelp, I finally took the 4K plunge and ordered my new TV, the Sony OLED A1E 65".

I was able to get a good deal on it so it was between that and the LG 7 series OLED, and the price difference being so minimal; the Sony took the edge due to the upscaler being the best in class, as is the majority of content being viewed isn't going to be dominated by 4k content. With the black frame insertion technology and anti-polarization tech is cool too.

It gets delivered Monday.

Gah, I'm so excited!

e90Mark

Whelp, I finally took the 4K plunge and ordered my new TV, the Sony OLED A1E 65".

I was able to get a good deal on it so it was between that and the LG 7 series OLED, and the price difference being so minimal; the Sony took the edge due to the upscaler being the best in class, as is the majority of content being viewed isn't going to be dominated by 4k content. With the black frame insertion technology and anti-polarization tech is cool too.

It gets delivered Monday.

Gah, I'm so excited!

Great choice. I would've went with the Sony for sure, as a long time Sony TV buyer.

With the way LG handles their software, this is my first and last LG TV.

Kyoufu

Great choice. I would've went with the Sony for sure, as a long time Sony TV buyer.

Same here tbh.

I think I'm going with either Panasonic or Sony next. I just wish Panasonic would stop being so stubborn and support Dolby Vision.

e90Mark

Same here tbh.

I think I'm going with either Panasonic or Sony next. I just wish Panasonic would stop being so stubborn and support Dolby Vision.

Or just stop being stubborn with not selling their TVs in the US, lol. I think Canada is getting the EZ1000?

Awesome HomerSimpson-Man, hopefully we don't have to wait too long for the DV firmware update, not that HDR10 doesn't already look amazing on this set so it'll be interesting to see how different it is.

Or just stop being stubborn with not selling their TVs in the US, lol. I think Canada is getting the EZ1000?

Yeah, it's weird that that set isn't even an option here, since they just don't sell here anymore, given how well it was received and reviewed, seems like a fantastic OLED.

Hawk269

Awesome HomerSimpson-Man, hopefully we don't have to wait too long for the DV firmware update, not that HDR10 doesn't already look amazing on this set so it'll be interesting to see how different it is.

Yeah, it's weird that that set isn't even an option here, since they just don't sell here anymore, given how well it was received and reviewed, seems like a fantastic OLED.

I just got a LG E7 that I really like, but if Panasonic made their OLED available here in the U.S. I would of gone for it. I have owned all 3 4k Sets for the last 3 years Panasonic released in the U.S. I still have the 850u which has a fantastic picture. Shame they did not keep releasing sets. But to be honest, the first year 4k sets suffered from serious banding in the same exact spot on many people sets. Year's 2 set was really good, but I hated the lean back. I mainly went with them since they were the only ones that had DVI for 4k/444 Chroma at 60fps since HDMI had not caught up. Year 3 sets removed the DVI but had upgraded HDMI. My year 3 had been boxed up for a good 8 months with a move to another state and we recently set it up in our Master Bedroom and were blown away on good it looks, even compared to my 940d 75 Sony we have in the living room.

I went with LG E7 since I always wanted to get a OLED and it was for my gaming room. The Sony A1E looked good too but hate the stand and I cannot wall mount. The E7 has great input lag and games look great...just have a fear of a new Firmware that will kill things. I just updated my E7 and had good improvement in input lag when setting the HDMI to PC and now all HDR Picture modes have the great low input lag. But still have the fear of them nuking it somehow in the future. I already removed my WiFi stuff and ensured auto updates are off just in case! :)

Saying I'm excited is a bit of an understatement. Going to pick up some 4k blurays, and upgrade my Netflix for 4k support, and ready to hook up my PS4 Pro for some awesome 4k gaming. I saw Horizon on my friends 4k Samsung KS8000 and I found it so beautiful it was just ridiculous.

That being said, it sucks that Panasonic doesn't sell their TVs in the US like you all said. My main TV has been the last line plasma the Panasonic ZT60 65" since its release in 2013, gorgeous tv still, so OLED was really my only option to look as an upgrade. Hearing Panasonic getting into OLED got me all exited.

Weevilone

I'm planning to move away from LG after 1 try, but with Panasonic not an option in the US, and Sony using Android OS .. ugh. It's not as easy as it should be.

I'm rather pleased with WebOS on the LG, just not their firmware situation. They've nuked their reputation from orbit as far as I'm concerned. It's too bad, as I'm way overdue for a 65+. I'm still using a rear projection Pioneer Elite!

Top Bottom