• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tell Me GAF If The Following Games Are Good...

I saw these at TRU and wondered if they were worth the $...

- Ribbit King
- Kirby's Air Ride
- Metal Arms (if so, which version?)

Soul4ger

Metal Arms is the best of the three. Ribbit King is quirky good, but has absolutely zero depth. Kirby... I returned my copy, and I never return anything. But I paid $50. It might be easier to swallow at $20.

My little nephews love Kirby. It's my number one recommendation for little kids (Because of the simple concept and control). But if you're not a little kid (and since you can obviously read, I assume not)/buying for a tyke, pick a different racing game... any racing game.

AirBrian

Metal Arms (I had GCN version) was my sleeper hit from last year. Loved the game. I can't speak of the others though.

I'm most perplexed by Kirby... I do like kiddies games, but I've heard so many good/bad things. Everytime I make up my mind, someone says something, than...

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
almokla said:
Metal Arms is your choice here ..

and te GC version was the best, even in graphics ..

I read the GC version is the same as the xbox version but the Xbox has tearing and the GC has slowdown, i watched the gamespot comparrison video and couldnt tell the difference between the two (PS2 version sucks though).

Theres not a lot in it anyway.

Steve Ranck: Instead of developing on the slower platform (PS2) and then converting the game to the more powerful Xbox and GameCube systems, we took a different approach. We designed Metal Arms for Xbox and then made the best version we could for GameCube. Then, Mass Media signed on to develop the PS2 version with the similar philosophy of making the best PS2 version of the game possible. With this approach, Metal Arms delivers visuals to the best of each platform’s abilities.

Swingin’ Ape developed a proprietary engine called Fang to pull off the aggressive visuals and special effects we needed for Metal Arms. On Xbox and GameCube, we’re using pretty much every trick in the book, from radiosity lighting to detail maps (so things don’t get blurry when you get close to them) to bump mapping and dynamic shadows. We developed an array of material shaders that our art staff used to render complex surfaces with realistic lighting. The most widely use shader in Metal Arms is the metal surface shader. Probably no surprise there. But it’s a particularly cool shader because it allows the metal to appear corroded in areas so that the reflectivity varies across the surface.

And You cant beat the controller S for 3rd person shooters (especially not with the GC pad)

Xbox version = way to go.

Er..but its up to you.

Speevy

Banned
The Gamecube version of Metal Arms is fine (I owned it) but you want the Xbox controller for its control scheme.

vireland

- Ribbit King

A surprising amount of care was taken with the localization of what is essentially a pretty boring golf game. The pace is too slow and game overall not that fun, but it IS cute, and I was amazed at how decent the localization was for a "C" tier game. Time probably better spent with a different game, though, unless you have nothing BUT time.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
Consider Kirby to be a simplified snowboarding game. Do you like snowboard racing games minus the tricks? If so, try it.

Top Bottom